• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Merchandise Line Announced for Japan: "Look Upon The Stars"

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The situation isn't quite the same, though.

For one, the Switch needs everything it can get. Remember, this time it's not Nintendo's handheld that's at stake. Nintendo is betting it's future on the Switch and Pokémon would certainly help secure that future.

Then there's the fact SunMoon engine was created alongside whatever GF is working on for the Switch, so the engine should be compatible with it or at least be an easy port.

Also, GF created high resolution models for all the Pokémon, so high that XY, ORAS and SuMo run poorly.

So far we never had these 3 factors (high dependance on the next new platform, potentially compatible engine and futureproofing).
Pokemon isn't Nintendo's property, this is the biggest problem. Even if Nintendo owns a third or more of TPC, they can't jeopardize the franchise's future by releasing games to "save" or help their own hardware. That's against the interest of TPC, could be even illegal.

Thankfully for Nintendo and TPC, their interests have aligned all the time, because Nintendo has had a successful handheld system all the time for them to keep releasing Pokemon games, but they will never release a game to help a system.

I'm 100% sold on Stars existing, but I have a strong feeling it will be on Switch and 3DS rather than one or the other. Give me that May announcement TPC! I already take my Switch everywhere, but adding a mainline Pokemon game this early would convince me to eat, sleep, and shower with the damn thing.

phanphare

Banned
I'm 100% sold on Stars existing, but I have a strong feeling it will be on Switch and 3DS rather than one or the other. Give me that May announcement TPC! I already take my Switch everywhere, but adding a mainline Pokemon game this early would convince me to eat, sleep, and shower with the damn thing.

it'll be cross gen between all the New 3DS/2DS models and Switch like Fire Emblem Warriors

psyfi

Banned
Pokemon Eclipse sounds at least one thousand times cooler than Pokemon Stars

please nintendo, don't mess this up

Neoxon

E3 is around the corner...

...Does Nintendo usually reveal Pokemon games at E3?
The Pokémon Company usually does reveals on their own terms, I.E. before E3.

That definitely makes the most sense. Do we have a rumor about that or are you just speculating as well?
No, the only current rumor is for Stars as a Switch exclusive (explicitly from Eurogamer & GameXplain, with MCV's report happening to line up with this months before EG did their report). That said, a Switch/n3DS release makes sense from a logical standpoint based on what we know right now, hence why it's the common belief amongst speculators.

ReBirFh

Pokemon isn't Nintendo's property, this is the biggest problem. Even if Nintendo owns a third or more of TPC, they can't jeopardize the franchise's future by releasing games to "save" or help their own hardware. That's against the interest of TPC, could be even illegal.

Thankfully for Nintendo and TPC, their interests have aligned all the time, because Nintendo has had a successful handheld system all the time for them to keep releasing Pokemon games, but they will never release a game to help a system.

It's in the interest of TPC that Nintendo be successful and a good game on a bad console doesn't jeopardize the franchise, I don't see what would be the problem if they released a game to help a new Nintendo Hardware. After all Pokken exists and not only was on an unsuccesfull console (+arcades) but also wasn't, I think, what anyone was expecting from the franchise in the fighting genre (limited character options).

Kyzer

Banned

...what? Thats not illegal. And it just so happens TPC has a vested interest in Nintendos systems succeeding because thats where they release thir games, also Nintendo is part owner of The Pokemon Company, which btw is a private company so they can do whatever they want. They could have made stars a launch title if they felt like it.

Zalman

TPC acts in the best interest of Nintendo, Creatures and Game Freak. Not the other way around. TPC didn't even exist when Pokémon was created. And even then, all parties involved need Nintendo to be successful.

batfax

I hope this means we finally get some Pokemon figma.

This was announced in like, Feb.

549354.jpg

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
TPC acts in the best interest of Nintendo, Creatures and Game Freak. Not the other way around. TPC didn't even exist when Pokémon was created. And even then, all parties involved need Nintendo to be successful.
Where is your AAA Pokemon on GCN, or WiiU?

TPC is a company made to make money, end of story. If there was a handheld that vastly outsold the Nintendo handheld, Pokemon would be there. It's the same reason why Minecraft, a first party Microsoft game, continues to release on multiple platforms.

For example, cellphones vastly outsell Nintendo handhelds, and there is a exclusive Pokemon for cellphones, and they will probably be releasing more on the future.

Gamefreak is not owned by Nintendo, and they have a lot to say about where Pokemon releases.

Since the franchise started, it makes sense to release Pokemon games exclusive for Nintendo handhelds, so there is no conflict there, but if they made a new gen Pokemon game (not Stars) and the switch sells below expectations (not likely), then they'll have a problem.

Salvadora

TPC is a company made to make money, end of story. If there was a handheld that vastly outsold the Nintendo handheld, Pokemon would be there. It's the same reason why Minecraft, a first party Microsoft game, continues to release on multiple platforms.

For example, cellphones vastly outsell Nintendo handhelds, and there is a exclusive Pokemon for cellphones, and they will probably be releasing more on the future.

Gamefreak is not owned by Nintendo, and they have a lot to say about where Pokemon releases.

Since the franchise started, it makes sense to release Pokemon games exclusive for Nintendo handhelds, so there is no conflict there, but if they made a new gen Pokemon game (not Stars) and the switch sells below expectations (not likely), then they'll have a problem.
This thread does a significantly better job of explaining it than I could, but Nintendo holds a significant interest in Pokemon including trademarks.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1008721

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

this is neogaf, you should know what your saying is factually wrong

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
this is neogaf, you should know what your saying is factually wrong
What I'm saying is that they will never release a mainline Pokemon game on a platform because said platform "needs" it. The only reason they ever release a mainline Pokemon game anywhere is to make money, and they'll do it where it makes the most sense, because there is a whole industry of Pokemon behind, and they can't risk all of that to "save" a struggling platform.

Kyzer

Banned
What I'm saying is that they will never release a mainline Pokemon game on a platform because said platform "needs" it. The only reason they ever release a mainline Pokemon game anywhere is to make money, and they'll do it where it makes the most sense, because there is a whole industry of Pokemon behind, and they can't risk all of that to "save" a struggling platform.

You can't say they will never do it, they could if they wanted to. Its not a rule, nor impossible. The reasons youre citing (TPC being independent, or the idea that they would make Pokemon for a competing handheld) are also wrong, Nintendo has part ownership in TPC and Tajiri was mentored by Miyamoto. If Nintendo asked Game Freak for a favor they would certainly listen to what they had to say, they're like family.

I have a feeling Pokemon Stars is gonna be either cross platform or 3DS exclusive, and they're going to wait until a new gen to make Pokemon Switch.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
You can't say they will never do it, they could if they wanted to. Its not a rule, nor impossible. The reasons youre citing (TPC being independent, or the idea that they would make Pokemon for a competing handheld) are also wrong, Nintendo has part ownership in TPC and Tajiri was mentored by Miyamoto. If Nintendo asked Game Freak for a favor they would certainly listen to what they had to say, they're like family.
I would need to be a time traveler to say it, but I can say they've never done it before.

I'd be more excited for a Pokémon Stadium like title because of how awesome Switch two player is. Now that I've had regular multiplayer sessions on it, I'd be disappointed to return to the age of making sure both people own the system, the game, and then both remember to bring it the same day.

Sun and Moon is fun, but it fell apart in my group because not everyone would bring their 3DS places.

So I hope if there's a new Pokémon game for Switch, it actually takes advantage of the hardware's strength: coming with at least 2 controllers on it at all times.

bman94

2017 - Pokemon Stars
2018 - Pokemon Clear Diamond & Shiny Pearl
2019 - Pokemon Gen 8

You know it's true in your heart, don't deny it.

Last time this happened a week before the Direct.

So either this week or early next week.

Cool. Yesterday I was saying they could announce their E3 plans this week and do a Pokemon Direct next week. Oh man I hope it happens. This build up and hype to E3 is growing inside of me. It just gets bigger and bigger.

Hydrus

2017 - Pokemon Stars
2018 - Pokemon Clear Diamond & Shiny Pearl
2019 - Pokemon Gen 8

You know it's true in your heart, don't deny it.

2017 - Stars - 3DS/ Switch
2018 - Red and Blue ll/ reboot - Switch
2019 - Gen 8 - Switch
2020 - DP Remake

This is the real truth in ones heart.

The first gameplay trailer of Sun and Moon and the announcement of ORAS were both in the first half of May, so the game could be announced as early as next week.

Hydrus

Why the hell would the DP remake be soo late???

More switches sold, so more sales of DP. I don't see them doing a Gen 4 remake so early in the switches life. A RBG remake/reboot/ sequel will sell shit tons of Switches. Following that up with a new gen, then the remakes, would be the best business move. Especially since the 3DS era is coming to a close, GF wants the most sales it can get.

Top Bottom