• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Merchandise Line Announced for Japan: "Look Upon The Stars"

NeonZ

If Stars is Switch-exclusive, I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't have a few brand-new Pokémon in it. They've run out of movie fodder already.

They can include new regional variants and Megas without officially adding more Pokemon, although at that point it's basically a formality, since they mean there's only partial compatibility with the other game from the same gen.

It's a little different when we're talking about the first HD mainline entry ever.

Even if Stars or DP remake is a Switch game, it'll certainly use the Sun & Moon engine, so aside from resolution there won't be a big leap.

Cerium

They can include new regional variants and Megas without officially adding more Pokemon, although at that point it's basically a formality, since they mean there's only partial battle compatibility with the other gen game.

Would cross platform battles even be a thing?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This needs to be on Switch - I want to dump my mons off my 3DS so I can mail it to my niece & newphew!

Neoxon

I'm cautious and I say at best 3ds/Switch, if something is announced.
As a third version it would seem weird to not be playable on the same system as the 2 others. But it may have already happenned ?

Going for products all about the stars is so random it has to mean something. There's no coincidence.

Not more than Star.
It has, Crystal being Game Boy Color-exclusive.

Majine

Banned
A Pokémon in HD playable on a TV... that'd be some shit.

It does sound a bit too good to be true tho, so it's probably just 3DS.

doop_

Banned
If there is a game this year it will be announced in May and featured in Corocoro this month. That means we could see an announcement before the 12th of May.

Clefargle

As a 3ds owner that loves SM:

Dont do crossgen!

Swith NEEDS this exclusive to essentially transplant 10-15m players from 3ds to switch. I will get a switch before stars, but some people wont unless its the only place for pokemon

Waji

It has, Crystal being Game Boy Color-exclusive.
Thanks I was actually thinking a little more and now I think New 3ds and Switch seems more likely.
It would make people buy more of both not just take advantage of the basic 3ds which is kinda the same as having it on a new platform.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
As a 3ds owner that loves SM:

Dont do crossgen!

Swith NEEDS this exclusive to essentially transplant 10-15m players from 3ds to switch. I will get a switch before stars, but some people wont unless its the only place for pokemon
Looking at the history of Pokemon releases, they would never release one on a platform because said platform "needs" it.

Pokemon, like Minecraft, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter will always be released on the platforms they believe will sell more copies, end of story.

This is the reason why there has never been a serious attempt at a core Pokemon on consoles, or why B&W2 was on DS.

If the Switch continues to sell very well and works as a social platform, Pokemon will be there, if not, then it won't. It's the way it is.

Also, I don't get why people get so excited for an upres version of a 3DS game, it's neat I guess, but I don't see them releasing something fundamentally different from the original Sun and Moon. The big question is where the next gen Pokemon games will be.

Will the Switch sell enough, or will Nintendo have to do a more appealing handheld?

Waji

Will the Switch sell enough, or will Nintendo have to do a more appealing handheld?
Which will then need to also sell fast enough to largely get past the Switch sales ?

Just wait for a more portable Switch and that's it, you have your handheld with a userbase immediately

oSoLucky

Cant wait for the meltdowns when its announced as a 3ds exclusive.
or not announced at all

Damn the Salt would be mountainous. I'd like to see that. But I'd also be part of the people making all that salt.

I will be in the running for highest salt levels. The idea of Stars on Switch has me more hype for a Pokémon than I've been since HG/SS. I've disliked most since then and I hate the 3DS so I don't want to buy another.

Kudo

I'm not expecting Stars to hit Switch, having traditional Pokemon RPG on HD home console would be just too much.

Jacce

Banned
I'm not expecting Stars to hit Switch, having traditional Pokemon RPG on HD home console would be just too much.
Switch is as much a handheld as a console.

Switch is Nintendo's 3DS successor as a handheld device as well. Pokemon HAS to go to it eventually unless GameFreak decides to kill the franchise or move it to mobile phones (neither of which will happen).

NES > SNES > N64 > GCN > Wii > WiiU > Switch
GB > GBC > GBA > DS > 3DS > Switch

It's not that hard to follow.

Clefargle

Also, I don't get why people get so excited for an upres version of a 3DS game, it's neat I guess, but I don't see them releasing something fundamentally different from the original Sun and Moon. The big question is where the next gen Pokemon games will be.

There is a lot to be excited about:

-high resolution rendering of the already detailed pokemon models
- console style play online and local (think pokemon stadium) would be extremely hype
- new pokemon, forms, alolan forms and megas (potentially)
-continuation of the SM story which i enjoyed and would love to see the next chapters of.
-integration with pokebank and switch specific online functionality (with phone app or otherwise)
-ease of capture using HDMI instead of modded 3ds or workarounds
-still has handheld mode for all the 3ds functonality and local battles at cons/ect

For me, it has always been the dream to take my teams from portable mode, sit down on my couch and play some online matches with a controller. Pokemon stadium games were huge in my group of friends and i would also welcome playing against another player on the same screen surroundes by pokemon enthusiasts. There is a lot to be excited about, GF dont do enhanced ports one gen later. They may do remakes down the line, but this game will likely be similar to crystal, yellow, platinum. Ect. Maybe not as far as BW2 were as standalone titles, but i would doubt that GF would simply uprezz the game and slap it on switch. They usually like to take advantage of the newest features in the newest system.

Protome

They just announced New 2DS XL.

And you think that's Nintendo's new handheld going forward?
It wouldn't shock me if Stars isn't on Switch but whatever's next definitely will be because the 2/3DS will be long dead by then.

Kudo

And you think that's Nintendo's new handheld going forward?
It wouldn't shock me if Stars isn't on Switch but whatever's next definitely will be because the 2/3DS will be long dead by then.

Yeah, it'll be few years from now though.

Jacce

Banned
They just announced New 2DS XL.
Came out 1 year after DS:
Gb_micro_side.jpg

KtSlime

While I think Eclipse would be a cool name, I don't think it really matters and some people are over-thinking it. Game Freak doesn't care that the Sun is technically a star, they just care about how catchy the name is. スターズ looks cool and sounds cool, most everyone knows the word, where eclipse is probably really known by teens and older if at all.

It also naturally fits the naming pattern; if you were to go up to the average person and say "Sun and Moon and..." I bet 99% of the time they will answer with Stars.

I could see a New 2DS and Switch version co-release, I mean there is no harm in doing so, it's not like they must tap every bit of the Switch's power - New 3/2DS level graphics would be more than enough for most fans.

clemenx

Banned
I think crossgen is the best bet. Remember this company released a brand new generation of DS when the 3DS was righ around the corner. They're not going to waste that userbase.

Neoxon

I think crossgen is the best bet. Remember this company released a brand new generation of DS when the 3DS was righ around the corner. They're not going to waste that userbase.
To be fair, they got away with B2/W2 on the DS because the 3DS could play DS games. The same doesn't apply to the Switch.

Coffinhal

Well it's going to be an HD remaster but I sure hope they'll use the Switch on the next generation in order to do a BOTW-like game design reboot. Especially on the LINEAR STRUCTURE and ENDLESS CUTSCENES. Please.

Galava

If there's pokémon this year, it's going to release at least on 3DS. They are releasing a new 2ds xl, pokémon has to come out for this to get all the kids that aren't getting a switch this year. Switch port is likely, but i don't know, previous interviews of Masuda say that they are still not sure which features to include on a switch game because they still don't know how people use their switches.

Aleh

Well it's going to be an HD remaster but I sure hope they'll use the Switch on the next generation in order to do a BOTW-like game design reboot. Especially on the LINEAR STRUCTURE and ENDLESS CUTSCENES. Please.
It won't be a remaster though. At the very least it will be a third version, but judging from how SM ended I'd say it's more likely to be a sequel set in Alola. Unless sequels are considered remasters or ports (cough Splatoon :p)

Top Bottom