• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokkén Tournament gameplay trailer

I wonder if you can lock the battle perspective in free battle mode or something. I'm interested in the trainer presence and level up system!

EDIT: Siliconera posted some more news about the game. Apparently it will use this controller:
20150123_051450.png

Weirdest controller since PS3 boomerang controller.

looks like a 3rd party ps1 controller

Interesting, the character select screen seems to have room for 15 slots (five per row, three per column), meaning the total roster is about 14 at least.

Looks fun, though I wonder who the inevtiable Namco-Bandai cameo fighter will be. I'm putting my money on Agumon.

Axass

Thought it was releasing to arcades in late 2015?
Late 2016 I could totally see it though.

Yeah, late 2016/early 2017 is my guess now.

When was that revealed? I mean they're already having location tests, Tekken 7 is going to be released in February, 4 months only after the location tests, so I'd assume first part of June for Pokkén. 8-10 months after that we could easily see the Wii U port.

When was that revealed? I mean they're already having location tests, Tekken 7 is going to be released in February, 4 months only after the location tests, so I'd assume first part of June for Pokkén. 8-10 months after that we could easily see the Wii U port.
Nothing official, but I heard via interviews they wanted to get the game out in 2015. You could be right with June though.

CSX

I have a feeling that Harada has hidden Heihachi dressed as a pokemon trainer somewhere in this game lol

finally got to see the 3 vs matches (earlier only the trailer was working for me) OMGG THAT LOOKS AWESOME!! I think this is it guys, the pokemon game I've wanted ever since Red & Blue.

Axass

Nothing official, but I heard via interviews they wanted to get the game out in 2015. You could be right with June though.

I hope so, besides this game, unlike other arcade fighters, is being made with an IP from another company, so I'd assume that at least Nintendo (if not Gamefreak / The Pokémon company or whoever co-owns the damn IP) would push for a really quick port to the Wii U, hell it was probably part of the contract for letting them use the IP in first place; besides the pad for the arcade really gives away the fact it was built with the gamepad in mind.

Son Of D

Do we know if this is getting released on consoles at all, or is this just going to be hitting arcades?

99% likely going to hit Wii U. Don't expect any announcements until after the Arcade version releases though (although an E3 announcement is possible) since Namco doesn't announce the console versions of their fighters until after the Arcade version releases in Japan.

random25

Are we doubting its possible release on the Wii U? I mean, the control setup is pretty much a dead giveaway :p Unless it's hitting a next gen Nintendo console rather than the Wii U, plus they are included in the credits at the end of the trailer.

TreIII

Interesting, the character select screen seems to have room for 15 slots (five per row, three per column), meaning the total roster is about 14 at least.

Looks fun, though I wonder who the inevtiable Namco-Bandai cameo fighter will be. I'm putting my money on Agumon.

Wouldn't mind it at all, but I'd highly surprised if TPC wanted a character from another franchise at all in their game, let alone a Digimon.

If anything, I'm expecting (or rather hoping) to see some Tekken characters as possible "Trainers". Even better if it would mean Sugmori renditions of the likes of Heihachi, King and etc.

Wouldn't mind it at all, but I'd highly surprised if TPC wanted a character from another franchise at all in their game, let alone a Digimon.

If anything, I'm expecting (or rather hoping) to see some Tekken characters as possible "Trainers". Even better if it would mean Sugmori renditions of the likes of Heihachi, King and etc.

It's Nintendo who has the final word on that, and considering a Tamagotchi character got into Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, I don't think they will really mind. Besides, a Digimon character in a Pokemon game would certainly be one hell of a publicity stunt.

Axass

Harada said no Tekken characters. Seeing as a Tekken cameo was the most likely possibility for such a game (a fighting game directed by Harada), I'm inclined to think there will be no cameos at all.

dmcAxle

Neo Member
Game reminds me of that Pokemon Generations mod from awhile back that got NDA'd. Especially the long range battles. A lot more refined and less clunky feeling of course with actual melee combos instead of just tackling into the enemy.

emb

99% likely going to hit Wii U. Don't expect any announcements until after the Arcade version releases though (although an E3 announcement is possible) since Namco doesn't announce the console versions of their fighters until after the Arcade version releases in Japan.
I feel like the other 1% is for Nintendo to release their next console and release this game there. No way this doesn't get ported, imo.

Neidii

Holy shit Suicune!! One of my favorite legendaries. Entei would have been cool too. Loving this roster so far. I'd play the shit out of this

TreIII

It's Nintendo who has the final word on that, and considering a Tamagotchi character got into Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, I don't think they will really mind. Besides, a Digimon character in a Pokemon game would certainly be one hell of a publicity stunt.

While Ninty does have the final word, TPC has a great deal of autonomy in their own right. If Ishihara and his crew really don't want Agumon in the game, I'd imagine Iwata probably wouldn't press the issue or override that decision.

Mory Dunz

The other fights seem a lot beter than Pikachu Lucario.

Ok, so whats happening when it pauses? Is it like waiting for an input to counter...or something?

HardRojo

It seems like they changed the concept of the game. It doesn't look like Tekken at all but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe this type of brawler fits the Pokémon theme better and will allow for a more diverse roster instead of one dominated by Fighting type Pokémon?

BossRush

I don't know why people are worried about competitiveness for this game

If smash bros, a game unintended to be a fighting game by its creator can get on main stage at Evo, I think an actual fighting game should do just fine

SmithnCo

I like the 3D-2D system, the 3D part looks like it will be fun to try to read your opponent and either try to get in, or hold them up and chip some health.

Axass

It seems like they changed the concept of the game. It doesn't look like Tekken at all but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now. Maybe this type of brawler fits the Pokémon theme better and will allow for a more diverse roster instead of one dominated by Fighting type Pokémon?

It was never supposed to be exactly like Tekken, Harada said there would be no high-med-low attacks last year right after the reveal.

It was more of a fan misconception based on the name of the game and on Harada directing.

Harada said no Tekken characters. Seeing as a Tekken cameo was the most likely possibility for such a game (a fighting game directed by Harada), I'm inclined to think there will be no cameos at all.

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen a licensed guest character in a Harada-directed game, or a small dinosaur, for that matter. 'No Tekken characters' certainly doesn't rule anyone else out.

While Ninty does have the final word, TPC has a great deal of autonomy in their own right. If Ishihara and his crew really don't want Agumon in the game, I'd imagine Iwata probably wouldn't press the issue or override that decision.

Perhaps, but I don't really see any reason why they'd reject the idea. Pokemon Conquest exists, for pete's sake. Stranger things have happened with this franchise.

HardRojo

It was never supposed to be exactly like Tekken, Harada said there would be no high-med-low attacks last year right after the reveal.

It was more of a fan misconception based on the name of the game and on Harada directing.

Did he mention that? Oh well, my bad then. Yeah, I guess everyone assumed too much from the name and Harada's involvement. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Top Bottom