• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokkén Tournament gameplay trailer

bigkrev

Looks like the Naruto C2C games without the cutscene attacks.

Also, if you told me this was running on Dolphin I'd probably believe you- it's coming to WiiU

M3d10n

Do we have any info on the arcade hardware it's running on? They could very well be using a Wii U based board, in which case a home version port could come very quickly.

I actually hate the design of the playable characters, it's my least favorite thing about the game so far. It's like a weird hyper realistic thing that doesn't look good on the characters. Like everyone looks more like Brawl Lucario than Smash 4 Lucario if that makes sense.

Pokemon look weird with realistic fur.
Yeah.

I think it's more the flat fur textures that are the problem, it just looks incredibly strange. Something more like Tropical Freeze's fur shader would look much better.

Adaren

I wasn't interested in this before, but these gameplay trailers look fantastic. Much less traditional-fighter-y than I anticipated.

Count me in for a Wii U port.

So Heracross pretty much confirmed not to be playable? I've seen people saying that it's in the background in one stage.

Still no Blaziken yet, even though it's a given seeing as it was in that teaser. Charizard and Mewtwo are pretty much a lock as well. Hopefully the roster is evenly spread for all generations.

RM8

I was thinking, would a 3DS version be completely impossible? It'd be nice having both home and handheld versions. Of course a WiiU version hasn't even been confirmed, lol, but it'd be really nice. It doesn't look very demanding.

I was thinking, would a 3DS version be completely impossible? It'd be nice having both home and handheld versions. Of course a WiiU version hasn't even been confirmed, lol, but it'd be really nice. It doesn't look very demanding.

I mean sure they could downgrade some version of this onto the 3DS, but it would probably be a better idea to wait for the new handheld rather then butcher this. This probably won't be out on Wii U for a while anyway

TreIII

Perhaps, but I don't really see any reason why they'd reject the idea. Pokemon Conquest exists, for pete's sake. Stranger things have happened with this franchise.

Well, yeah, but the difference there is that Koei's characters aren't in direct contention with PKMN as a brand, so that's why I'd imagine it's a different thing.

But in any case, it looks like there probably won't be any guests, at all. And with 700+ PKMN to choose from (which I'm sure has their own following), I can't imagine that any of them would be pleased if Agumon got in over any of them.

Gameplay looks really lame based on what we know now. Block, Throw, Attack? Such a simple system with lack of options leads to unbalanced gameplay. I'm not convinced of anything though until I know more.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gameplay looks really lame based on what we know now. Block, Thow, Attack? Such a simple system with lack of options leads to unbalanced gameplay. I'm not convinced of anything though until I know more.

Read up Gundam Vs. games.

Gameplay looks really lame based on what we know now. Block, Throw, Attack? Such a simple system with lack of options leads to unbalanced gameplay. I'm not convinced of anything though until I know more.
Block
Throw
Light attack
Strong attack
Special attack
Assist
Jump

Seems fine to me. That's more than Smash Bros!

Tenki

I have mixed feelings about this. It's Pokémon fighting, I like it, but at the same time I'm not very into that gameplay. Anyway I'm hyped.

Axass

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen a licensed guest character in a Harada-directed game, or a small dinosaur, for that matter. 'No Tekken characters' certainly doesn't rule anyone else out.

Perhaps, but I don't really see any reason why they'd reject the idea. Pokemon Conquest exists, for pete's sake. Stranger things have happened with this franchise.

Gon was one of my mains back in the day. What I meant is that if he doesn't even want his own characters into the game I doubt we'll see any other franchises involved.

>Suicune

Give me a fucking break. Now that quadrupeds have been confirmed, expect the entire roster to be a bunch of Eeveelutions.
Maybe one. I could see a lot of them as assists for sure though. I also doubt we'll see Entei and Raikou.

Speaking of which, we have no type overlaps yet except for fighting right? I wonder who the big flying Pokemon will be. Ooh Hawlucha I guess?

This is the Pokemon game I want, considering I'm over the RPGs. Hoping this comes to US Wii U, JP only wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for region lock. We got Hyrule Warriors though, so if this makes it to the Wii U it will definitely come Stateside.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
MISHIMA ZAIBATSUCHU

ihcRYjc.gif

I know about that series, this is nothing like that. If it wasn't for the ratio sytem thing in that game would be silly unbalanced. Also there is no throwing & GUARDING in Gundam vs games. Pokken & Gundam are not comparable.

Well yeah it doesn't have the HP Ratio and isn't weapons oriented, but the speed and tension gives the GVS vibe than the slow pace Naruto has.

Interesting to see Suicune in the game out of all Pokemon. But why are they using made up locations instead of places from the six regions that exist in mainline Pokemon so far?

SerTapTap

I actually hate the design of the playable characters, it's my least favorite thing about the game so far. It's like a weird hyper realistic thing that doesn't look good on the characters. Like everyone looks more like Brawl Lucario than Smash 4 Lucario if that makes sense.

Machamp and Gardevoir look alright, Pikachu and Lucario are meh to weird, Suicune just looks wrong.

balohna

As a casual Tekken and Pokemon player (as in, I have played a few entries but by no means have much loyalty to either series)... this looks pretty awesome.

The fact that the footage so far is grainy reminds me of watching shitty compressed trailers from E3s like 15 years ago. Almost makes this feel not real, since there are some games that were only EVER that to me (Mother 3 on N64, Zelda tech demo at Space World).

Well, yeah, but the difference there is that Koei's characters aren't in direct contention with PKMN as a brand, so that's why I'd imagine it's a different thing.

But in any case, it looks like there probably won't be any guests, at all. And with 700+ PKMN to choose from (which I'm sure has their own following), I can't imagine that any of them would be pleased if Agumon got in over any of them.

People will complain no matter who gets in, and aside from Digimon being at its lowest point in terms of brand popularity right (partly due to Bamco's lack of effort fairly recently, though it seems to be changing a bit with the Digimon Adventure Tri anime coming up), again, I think the novelty and publicity would make up for the competing brand thing, there are plenty of examples of competing brands have crossing for mutual benefit, such as Phoenix Wright Vs. Professor Layton and the JLA/Avengers comic crossover some years back (Hawkeye actually got an honorary spot in the Justice League, well, before the New 52 happened on the DC side of things). No guest characters is hardly uncertain, you never know.

Gon was one of my mains back in the day. What I meant is that if he doesn't even want his own characters into the game I doubt we'll see any other franchises involved.

I'm more willing to bet he said 'no Tekken characters' because he decided they just wouldn't fit in. Quite frankly, as far as Bamco's characters go, Agumon is probably the best fit for a guest appearance in a Pokemon game.

TreIII

Interesting to see Suicune in the game out of all Pokemon. But why are they using made up locations instead of places from the six regions that exist in mainline Pokemon so far?

Well, there's likely two things we could think of in that respect:

1) Takes place in a different part of the world (like the "Ranse" region that Pokémon Conquest used as its setting)

or

2) Takes place in an entirely different type of PKMN world altogether.

ZAIBATSUCHU

ihcRYjc.gif

Well yeah it doesn't have the HP Ratio and isn't weapons oriented, but the speed and tension gives the GVS vibe than the slow pace Naruto has.

How does that equate to an argument against what I said about worrying that the simple mechanics in Pokken might lead to inbalance? If anything you proved my point by bringing up Gundam since it needs ratios to be even slightly balanced.

Again, Im not convinced that will be the case, I want to see more of the game but I am worried.

Top Bottom