• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New revision of PS5 has hotter exhaust temps recorded

They don’t. It’s retaining heat that’s the issue.

Smaller saturation area means more heat stays at the APU for example, thus increasing the temperature. Only way to counter this is run the fan faster.

Anyways the new heat sink will most likely be fine, it’s just shock factor so much of it was cut away. Worst case the new PS5 will be more audible from a further distance 🤷‍♂️

edit: spelling

If more heat stays in the APU shouldn't less heat go out the exhaust?

Connxtion

If more heat stays in the APU shouldn't less heat go out the exhaust?
No because the smaller heat sink is getting hotter quicker than the larger one due to less area for the heat to creep to.

Basically it works the same way a pan on a stove would. Small pan will heat to the outer edge a lot quicker than a larger one due to the heat having to travel further on the larger pan. The issue is the smaller pan will start smoking first because the heat can’t go anywhere. The larger pan will take longer to get to the same smoking temp.

So the bigger the heat sink (can be smaller using vapour chambers) the better the overall cooling will be and the slower you fans can run.

No because the smaller heat sink is getting hotter quicker than the larger one due to less area for the heat to creep to.

Basically it works the same way a pan on a stove would. Small pan will heat to the outer edge a lot quicker than a larger one due to the heat having to travel further on the larger pan. The issue is the smaller pan will start smoking first because the heat can’t go anywhere. The larger pan will take longer to get to the same smoking temp.

So the bigger the heat sink (can be smaller using vapour chambers) the better the overall cooling will be and the slower you fans can run.

So why isn't the new model making more noise if the fans are working harder?

Connxtion

Better designed fan and probably it’s within tolerances.

Like I said previously the worst case is the fan needs to ramp up more, that’s basically the only issue I could see should happen.

In reality it’s a non issue 🤷‍♂️ Just enjoy your PS5s

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Could be a better, quieter fan, or it could be that the temperature difference is so minor that it doesn't cause the fans to kick up to a higher RPM. Isn't this whole thread one massive mislead based on a few degrees at worst? That's seldom enough to cause a difference to anything.

Akuji

People with minimal knowledge Talking about not that simple Thermo dynamics.

Oh yeah how i love our Society....
From what we have as information we cannot conclude anything. If they improved their IHS or their mounting System or their TIM or the air tunneling/static pressure of the Fan it CAN be more efficient and effective with a smaller heatsink.

We need to wait until someone who understands physics takes their time to test it for Real.

sircaw

Banned
I see you @Kingthrash lol. Austin definitely catching some 'heat'.

The more i watch that video, the more disgraceful i find that person to be.

He must know what he is doing, this is not some random on the spur video that they just decided to make. Its clear he has some intention to degrade Sony's console there.

So fucking tired of these dishonest, disingenuous fucking people.

I am surprised he does not get some legal notice through the letterbox for defamation of said product.

Better designed fan and probably it’s within tolerances.

Like I said previously the worst case is the fan needs to ramp up more, that’s basically the only issue I could see should happen.

In reality it’s a non issue 🤷‍♂️ Just enjoy your PS5s

I honestly don't see any huge issues with this. It's not like the new model will have such bad overheating issues that it ends up being a RROD type situation for Sony.

I don't believe they would have done this if it would cause them major issues.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The more i watch that video, the more disgraceful i find that person to be.

He must know what he is doing, this is not some random on the spur video that they just decided to make. Its clear he has some intention to degrade Sony's console there.

So fucking tired of these dishonest, disingenuous fucking people.

I am surprised he does not get some legal notice through the letterbox for defamation of said product.
Its just typical console wars to drive clicks and its working look how many people are talking about his video.

He doesn't care how right he is its all about the clicks

Pull n Pray

Banned
Until we have actual temps of the die its definitely up for debate.

Die cooler = better version
Die warmer = inferior version

How much better/worse comes after that, and after that the most important question:

-Does it matter? Is it even quantifiable?
I generally agree, but will add a caveat. The temps on the original PS5 were all fine except for one memory module that was borderline. Gamer Nexus speculated that in a warmer ambient environments (tests done at 21C), it could potentially exceed thermal limits.

So with the new PS5, even if average component temps are a little higher, if the borderline memory module is brought in line with the rest of the system it would be an improvement. Will this be the case? Who knows. But it's not hard to imagine that an engineer could look at the original PS5 design and figure a way to both cut costs and improve lifespan. It's definitely wrong to conclude that just because the heat sink in the new model is smaller that it is "worse" than the older model.
It's outrage about nothing. some people will say "but it's less reliable in hot places". Then you tell them the Series S/X runs 17c hotter does that mean it will die in cooler places too? Most of the ones arguing in bad faith here will shut up and the ones who aren't won't be able to tell you how it affects lifespan.
The Series X is better cooled than the original PS5. Look at the Gamer Nexus analysis. External temps are irrelevant.

sircaw

Banned
Its just typical console wars to drive clicks and its working look how many people are talking about his video.

He doesn't care how right he is its all about the clicks
yer, well if it was a single youtube, just giving out his thoughts, i would not care, nor would Sony i imagine.

But this idiot has a mass following, millions of people are watching his content, he's not only selling misinformation but he is also affecting consumers' purchasing in the short term.

It is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out in the future.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
yer, well if it was a single youtube, just giving out his thoughts, i would not care, nor would Sony i imagine.

But this idiot has a mass following, millions of people are watching his content, he's not only selling misinformation but he is also affecting consumers' purchasing in the short term.

Its just his take designed to stir the pot.

No one should take it very seriously either way until we get better tests.

Topher

Gold Member

Guys like that are a bit over the top. I think his "following" has to be folks who only want to hear from those they agree with.

If I wanted that then I'd just talk to myself all day.

Great post, Topher Topher

Thanks, Topher Topher I agree with all the points you make.

Topher Topher you are too kind.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Guys like that are a bit over the top. I think his "following" has to be folks who only want to hear from those they agree with.

If I wanted that then I'd just talk to myself all day.

Great post, Topher Topher

Thanks, Topher Topher I agree with all the points you make.

Topher Topher you are too kind.
Don't you hate sometimes, that you can like your own comments?

Topher

Gold Member
Don't you hate sometimes, that you can like your own comments?

And yet, somehow I can report myself.

elections stand GIF

Loxus

A bigger heatsink is useless if you can't get proper airflow through the fins.

The fins looks about the same, just rearranged. You can even see two of the heatsink compartments are longer than on the old heatsink.

The reduction of the copper plate doesn't mean anything, since it wasn't even cooling anything.

Only the chip should have the copper plate resting on it, all the rest is just wasted copper imo.

Look at this cpu heatsink.
Wyb6nvZ.jpg

It's all about the fins, which removes the heat from the hest pipes via air passing through the fins.

20HMBMA.jpg

The large amount of copper that was removed was useless, as you only need the copper to cover the chip.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The heatsink is more efficient at removing the heat. Both systems likely produce the same amount of heat, but one of them is better at removing the said heat, therefore one of them has hotter temps.
Wrong. Both are removing the same amount of heat once they have fully warmed up. It’s impossible for both systems to be producing the same amount of heat but NOT removing the same amount of heat. This is basic thermodynamics.

It’s not as if heat were magically disappearing inside the old PS5 and not being removed.

I left school at age 16, i received a higher score in french and Ndebele than English, which is my native language.

I think i ended up with 17% on my final year scorecard.( You get 5% for putting your name)

I would have killed for your D score, "lollipop_disappointed:

This poor man felt so rejected by the education system that he turned to the sea and became a fish :pie_lcry:

Yeah a lot of people would kill for my D fishy :goog_cool:

Wrong. Both are removing the same amount of heat once they have fully warmed up. It’s impossible for both systems to be producing the same amount of heat but NOT removing the same amount of heat. This is basic thermodynamics.

It’s not as if heat were magically disappearing inside the old PS5 and not being removed.
Applying new thermal paste to a PS4 Pro or a One X directly results in higher exhaust temps, so I guess its magic?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Applying new thermal paste to a PS4 Pro or a One X directly results in higher exhaust temps, so I guess its magic?
Higher exhaust temp doesn’t mean it’s removing more heat. It’s still removing the same amount of heat, but doing so with less airflow.

If you’re comparing 2 different cooling systems you can’t judge how well it’s working just by measuring exhaust temp. The only way to know which is better is by measuring the temperature of the components inside.

Higher exhaust temp doesn’t mean it’s removing more heat. It’s still removing the same amount of heat, but doing so with less airflow.

If you’re comparing 2 different cooling systems you can’t judge how well it’s working just by measuring exhaust temp. The only way to know which is better is by measuring the temperature of the components inside.
Yes, I discussed this in an earlier post, the only way to know for sure is by looking at the internal temps --- that said, higher exhaust temps does not automatically mean the system is funning hotter. It could very well indicate a more efficient transfer of heat, which would explain the higher exhaust temps. It's why measuring exhaust temps alone doesn't really tell us anything concrete.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I dont know why richard cant point his infrared thermometer at the PS5. This is so stupid. I get that his video is not ready but ffs, stop worrying about clicks and holding back info.

P.S He is right that this is a cost cutting measure for sure, and this reminds me of that bloomberg article about the PS5 BOM last year, and how the cooling solution was expensive despite only being a few dollars more. So it was obvious thats where the first cuts were made.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yes, I discussed this in an earlier post, the only way to know for sure is by looking at the internal temps --- that said, higher exhaust temps does not automatically mean the system is funning hotter. It could very well indicate a more efficient transfer of heat, which would explain the higher exhaust temps. It's why measuring exhaust temps alone doesn't really tell us anything concrete.
On this we agree. You can’t infer anything about how cool the internals are just by looking at exhaust temp. Maybe they settled for higher internal temps but still within spec. Maybe it’s a better cooler and it can create the same or lower internal temps with less airflow.

we just don’t know yet. Anybody trying to claim that it’s better or worse at this point is jumping to conclusions.

kyliethicc

Here's the interesting bit from Eurogamer's article:

"So if PlayStation 5 can work just fine with a cheaper, leaner cooler, why not just ship with it in the first place at launch? Without word from Sony, we can't say for sure but in terms of the production process, it's important to realise that when a console first comes to market, the separate components of the machine are created at the same time - in parallel, not in series. As the silicon rolls off the production line, the heat sinks are also being made. Nobody wants another red ring or yellow light of death, so it makes sense to build redundancy into the design."

"There is a documented example of this in Microsoft's original Xbox One - the hardware architects saw that there was headroom in their thermal solution so increased the core clocks on the processor itself. The GPU went from 800MHz to 854MHz, while the CPU enjoyed a bump to 1.75GHz from the original 1.6GHz. Would it have made the machine hotter? Probably. Did it matter? Clearly not. Perhaps with the benefit of more exposure to production silicon and all of the telemetry from the millions of units out there, Sony is confident enough to shrink the cooler and bring down the build cost of the machine."

My launch PS3 YLOD so I had to replace it with a Slim v1.
My launch ps3 stopped reading discs. Gave it to a friend for netflix usage and got a slim v1. That is still running but no longer has wifi or blutooth support so has to be hardwired for ethernet and usb plugged in for controllers.

PS4 is launch day 1 and sounds like a jet. It also increased room temp by 10deg f.
Switch , PS2, 3ds, vita all still running fine.

Evilms

Banned
I love the amount of revisionism from DF themselves regarding the PS360 generation faulty consoles. Only the Xbox360 had a massive amount of defects around launch time. The PS3 YLOD affected far fewer consoles, and much later in their lifespan.

33~34% for RROD X360
5~6% for YLOD PS3

Flutta

Banned
Its quite sad man.

This youtuber is looking for clicks/traffic and what's the best way to do that? Create this clickbait video with a half assed test on the new revision that even Jeff fucking Grubb called BS on. And I'm not the biggest Jeff Grubb fan.

It's one of the reasons why I despise these so called influencers. They'll create this drama for their own gain. There's no real journalism in this industry. Just clowns looking for dicks.

There fixed it for you:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Don't mind me im tired need sleep, too much coding for one night I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom