• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New SE mystery Site: FF-ATB [Final Fantasy: All The Bravest/iTunes in source code]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goli

jorgeton

Oh Square..

PS853.gif

Aeana

seems like SE is pretty much done with the dedicated handhelds, except for "nintendo's" DQ series of course.
I really don't think so. The mobile stuff is just more visible since it's on a global platform like iOS now. They've always had a heavy mobile presence. They will continue to put out 3DS games at the very least.

FLAguy954

I really don't think so. The mobile stuff is just more visible since it's on a global platform like iOS now. They've always had a heavy mobile presence. They will continue to put out 3DS games at the very least.

But it still doesn't make ant sense, they could ALSO release these games to the 3DS and Vita ALONG SIDE iOS and Android. Their priorities are no where near understandable imo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Out of curiosity, how many DS/PSP games did Square Enix released in the first 2/1 years of their life?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Exactly. Remember FFVII: Before Crisis, Kingdom Hearts Coded, or what Final Fantasy Type 0 and The 3rd Birthday were in the beginning, people?

Rpgmonkey

Out of curiosity, how many DS/PSP games did Square Enix released in the first 2/1 years of their life?

Based on GameFAQs game archive (games only, Japanese release year, only games they've published):

DS
Egg Monster Hero
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

Children of Mana
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker

PSP
Nothing

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Based on GameFAQs game archive (games only, Japanese release year, only games they've published):

DS
Egg Monster Hero

Children of Mana
Final Fantasy III

PSP
Nothing

In comparison

3DS
Todibasu! Puzzle Bobble
Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime 3

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

Dragon Quest VII
Gyrozetter RPG

Vita
Lord of Apocalypse
Army Corps of Hell

Nothing

Final Fantasy X HD?

It's not bad if they balance their titles. Instead their support for dedicated handhelds has become a sad shell of what it used to be.

"Hey guys what do you want for 2013!"

"We want Type-0 and Bravely default!"

"So what you're saying is that you want more overpriced iOS games?!"

"...um..no?"

"Here, more iOS games!"

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

"...um..no?"

"Here, more iOS games!"

"We want something bright and new!"

"Oh more Lightning? Couldn't agree more!"

:/

demidar

They are doing this intentionally now. Even an incompetent couldn't misread the market demand as badly as Square Enix.

Jarate

Banned
I wouldnt mind a 2-d final fantasy fan service rpg game featuring a ton of different characters from the series

Ios seems like the best place for that too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They are doing this intentionally now. Even an incompetent couldn't misread the market demand as badly as Square Enix.
Seems like they're doing okay in that department, since the demand is higher for iOS games than anything else right now.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

DS
Egg Monster Hero

Children of Mana
Final Fantasy III

PSP
Nothing

In comparison

3DS
Todibasu! Puzzle Bobble
Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime 3

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

Dragon Quest VII
Gyrozetter RPG

Vita
Lord of Apocalypse
Army Corps of Hell

Nothing

Final Fantasy X HD?
Thanks.

Not that bad then so far.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

"...um..no?"

"Here, more iOS games!"

Sadly this seems to be exactly how they work...
Do you remember that sort of petition at square enix forum? If this is the result...

snap0212

Not sure when the announcement for the Metal Gear on iOS was, but since them I'm always expecting that the news won't be of any importance to me.

I'm not against the idea of playing their games on iOS or Android devices but I could never bring myself to actually give them money.

TheContact

maybe it'll be a game like Final Fantasy Dimensions. The ATB I'm guessing stands for Active Time Battle so it's just a turn-based FF? Not sure about that ATB name though seems odd.

CorvoSol

seems like SE is pretty much done with the dedicated handhelds, except for "nintendo's" DQ series of course.

Localization abandonment aside, they DID put out two really big games on handhelds these last two years. Type-0 for PSP was in '11 and Bravely Default was just last year. It does take time to make games of those calibur, as opposed to stuff like Airborne Brigade, which I guess they can crap out on a dime.

My chief problem with Square is that they DO still make good games. The World Ends With You was marvelous, Type-0 and Bravely Default are everything I could ask for. In spite of it being a mobile game, Final Fantasy Dimensions is a good FF5 style game. Dragon Quest 9 was really good.

But they don't seem to get half the attention Square lavishes upon the rest of its insanity nowadays.

It was the same problem I had with XIII. The whole of Pulse was awesome. But it was only a small part compared to the rest of the game. If all of FFXIII had been as fun as Gran Pulse, I could easily have played it for much longer and tolerated Toriyama's story much more.
Which is why XIII-2 really was a fun game for me, in spite of Toriyama.

Goli

Not sure when the announcement for the Metal Gear on iOS was, but since them I'm always expecting that the news won't be of any importance to me.

I'm not against the idea of playing their games on iOS or Android devices but I could never bring myself to actually give them money.

Why not?

maybe it'll be a game like Final Fantasy Dimensions. The ATB I'm guessing stands for Active Time Battle so it's just a turn-based FF? Not sure about that ATB name though seems odd.

Most of SE's games as of late have "odd" names so its oddity is actually kind of normal.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Serious Question: Why the fuck does Square keep doing countdowns for iOS games? It's not like they generate hype, since all they do is generate hate and kill any hype for the iOS tittle.
Seriously, just announce that shit, it's not like it's a significant game.

you know when they "announce" it, it'll be released probably within a month, right?

Protocol7

Please noooo, stop releasing them on iOS/Android only... STOP IT!

And give us Bravely Default... seriously... /sigh

Indeed.
And as I discussed previously with some other users, Square Enix shifted from the "development of console-like games" to "development of shitty f2p or porting or quasi-porting" on mobile phone. The effort they put on Japanese mobile phones from 2004 to 2008 is not comparable with their line-up on iOS.

Goli

But will they be translated? That's the kicker here.
All of their games have been released worldwide, except for Million Arthur, Otome Break and Galaxy Dungeon. Even games that have no well known IPs associated to them like Drakerider or Song Summoner have made it so I don't see why this wouldn't.

demidar

All of their games have been released worldwide, except for Million Arthur, Otome Break and Galaxy Dungeon. Even games that have no well known IPs associated to them like Drakerider or Song Summoner have made it so I don't see why this wouldn't.

Okay, but that doesn't change the fact that Bravely Default/Type-0 isn't being localized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom