• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New series, The Orville coming this fall from FOX starring/created by Seth McFarlane

Kadin

edit: New from SDCC:

and also release date:

Looks like the Star Trek parody is beating Trek's return to TV by a couple of weeks. The series premiere is scheduled for September 10th.

I really liked McFarlane in A Million Ways to Die in the West and I have hopes that this will be good. Clearly Family Guy is a hit with many so I have hope the good humor will translate to this as well.

From Emmy Award-winning executive producer and creator Seth MacFarlane (FAMILY GUY, ”Ted") and director Jon Favreau (”The Jungle Book," ”Iron Man"), THE ORVILLE is a live-action, one-hour series set 400 years in the future that follows the adventures of The Orville, a mid-level exploratory spaceship, as its crew, both human and alien, face the wonders and dangers of outer space, while also dealing with the familiar, often humorous problems of everyday life. The series stars MacFarlane as the ship's Commanding Officer and Adrianne Palicki (”Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," ”Friday Night Lights") as his ex-wife, who's assigned as his First Officer.

http://www.fox.com/the-gifted/article/fox-announces-new-primetime-series-for-2017-2018-season

C_4bRzXUMAAHl5F.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't tell if its supposed to be a send up of TNG or TOS.

ezekial45

Banned
It's cool that MacFarlene is using his FG money to fund these passion projects, but often times they're so hit or miss.

This looks alright, though. I know he's got massive love for ST, so that might translate into something.

Kadin

It's cool that MacFarlene is using his FG money to fund these passion projects, but often times they're so hit or miss.

This looks alright, though. I know he's got massive love for ST, so that might translate into something.
Yeah and it's also great to see Favreau involved which gives me more confidence it might do well.

So far, for me, the first Ted has really been MacFarlene's only live action hit. The second kind of sucked, and A Million Ways to Die in the West was pretty bad, even if he himself wasn't too bad in it. I feel like his humor, in general, just doesn't translate very well to live action (or he and his writers aren't good at translating it anyway). And this is suppose to be an hour long show? Yeah, unless there's more here than the usual MacFarlene stuff that is going to drag pretty bad.

I know a lot of people hated the idea, but I wish he would have gotten to reboot The Flintstones just to see what that would have been like. I think his silly humor along with just enough reigning in by Fox to keep The Flintstones at least at cool PG-13 levels could have been a potentially good combination.

I can't tell if its supposed to be a send up of TNG or TOS.

Probably just Star Trek in general.

Jag

A Star Trek imitation being genuinely better than the thing it's imitating wouldn't be unprecedented...

...since Galaxy Quest is legit better than a bunch of the Star Trek movies.

Such a great movie. I don't know how they can top Rickman in it.

aeolustl

Sci-Fi on Fox... I can't see how Fox messes it up again! /s

I guess we can enjoy it while it lasts
for first 3/4 episode, then the rest episodes are shuffled like there is no timeline in sci-fi show.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The last thing from McFarlane I saw was that western and it was legitimately the worst movie I've ever seen. I left the theater halfway through.

Corpekata

Banned
Palicki continues her career of being cast as the love interest to lumpy dudes that are like a foot and a half shorter than her.

DeathyBoy

Banned
A Star Trek imitation being genuinely better than the thing it's imitating wouldn't be unprecedented...

v1.bTsxMTIwNzQ5NztqOzE3NDA5OzEyMDA7MTUzNjsyMDQ4

...since Galaxy Quest is legit better than a bunch of the Star Trek movies.

Some would even argue it's the second best. Phantom Menace is the best, showcasing how awful a federation would actually be.

Kadin

Okay watched the trailer and it looks pretty good. Typical McFarlane humor but like I said, I like it so I'm definitely on board.

Dehnus

I really liked McFarlane in A Million Ways to Die in the West and I have hopes that this will be good. Clearly Family Guy is a hit with many so I have hope the good humor will translate to this as well.

http://www.fox.com/the-gifted/article/fox-announces-new-primetime-series-for-2017-2018-season

C_4bRzXUMAAHl5F.jpg

That man is such a huge Trekkie, and tried so hard to get the show back on the air without silly JJ verse crap. He deserves to make fun of it! Colour me VERY INTERESTED! :p

And please, make it a comedy and no character development. Character development belongs in Drama and in shitty SitComs (Which are not comedy, but just more drama with catch phrases).

WHAT!? I like bad movies and parodies! :D

That man is such a huge Trekkie, and tried so hard to get the show back on the air without silly JJ verse crap. He deserves to make fun of it! Colour me VERY INTERESTED! :p

And please, make it a comedy and no character development. Character development belongs in Drama and in shitty SitComs (Which are not comedy, but just more drama with catch phrases).

WHAT!? I like bad movies and parodies! :D

...Wut

Jackpot

Banned
Trailer wasn't very funny.

Also, we have to face the fact that being a good voice actor doesn't translate to being a good actor.

Show looks very, very similar to the BBC's Hyperdrive.

Kadin

One of the big questions I have is how many of the aliens they encounter is he gonna voice? You know it's gonna happen.

Top Bottom