• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New series, The Orville coming this fall from FOX starring/created by Seth McFarlane

Kettch

The comedy in that trailer was terrible. I've never been a fan of MacFarlane's shows, but this looks like a giant step down from even that.

Which sucks, because I love some sci-fi comedies. Galaxy Quest and Futurama were both amazing.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So.....not this Orville then?

o-KEITH-HARRIS-570.jpg
That would never fly.

The comedy in that trailer was terrible. I've never been a fan of MacFarlane's shows, but this looks like a giant step down from even that.

Which sucks, because I love some sci-fi comedies. Galaxy Quest and Futurama were both amazing.

The way the trailer was cut didn't do them any favors. There's a lot of awkward dead space that messed up the comedic timing and gave it a kind of amateur quality.

Baleoce

A Star Trek imitation being genuinely better than the thing it's imitating wouldn't be unprecedented...

v1.bTsxMTIwNzQ5NztqOzE3NDA5OzEyMDA7MTUzNjsyMDQ4

...since Galaxy Quest is legit better than a bunch of the Star Trek movies.

Random but, why do a lot of promo posters and dvd covers put the wrong names under the relative position of each actor?

BigDug13

Is that Sisko's wife Cassidy Yates in the back left of the OP photo?

Edit - Yeah, it's her. Kinda funny to have that happen for a show like this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Need Adrianne Palicki on S5 of Agent of Shield...what the hell.

Jag

Need Adrianne Palicki on S5 of Agent of Shield...what the hell.

Think she was supposed to get a spin-off show with her ex-husband agent from Shield, but it never got picked up. I actually wasn't a huge fan of her character.

Kadin

It's cute they're still trying their luck with spoof shows, but I can see this bombing hard like The Good Guys and Scream Queens.
Scream Queens bombed hard? I thought it had a decent following. I liked the show a lot.

edit: nvm, just saw it won't return. :(

Fuchsdh

I'm not feeling this. McFarlane is very hit and miss for me in general, but I'm not sure how effective and successful a TV series will be unless it forges an identity beyond parodying a single franchise.

It doesn't help that the production design seems like a cheap, overlit direct ripoff from Star Trek, with the only deviation being they ripped of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda for the shape of the ship, rather than Trek.

RPGCrazied

Seems funny. I'll give it a shot. Seems like Galaxy Quest the series, or maybe even Roger Wilco(space quest video game series).

I'm LTTP on this. Where this this come from? It looks a lot like Galaxy Quest, and from the trailer, it's... not terrible, either. It's got episode director credits for Frakes, Braga, and Robert Duncan McNeill, so there's something interesting going on here. I like how cheap and cheesy everything looks.

I'm also kind of desperate for new Trek, and a Macfarlane show seems like a safer bet than whatever CBS is doing right now. I'll watch this.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I’m kind of looking forward to this. I don’t even care if it’s basically a live action take on what an animated Star Trek McFarlane show would have been. I want them to go all Red Dwarf and just make episodes with absurd plots that have no basis in science.

Difficult to tell what the show will be from a trailer, but in this one there's a weird tonal disconnect where they're trying to both be a Trek type show, and at the same time be a parody of that type of show.

Top Bottom