• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter 4 Character + AOU vids

JDSN

Banned
street-fighter-iv-20080214072248247_640w.jpg

I think Ryu is measuring the size of his crotch with his elbow, if so WOW.

WrikaWrek

Banned
fresquito said:
Please, explain me how is this important to consider the game any better or any worse.

My eyes actually like to get in on the fun too. I don't play games with my eyes shut, my hearing isn't all that impressive.

Dali

Kittonwy said:
FFS that's just a cheesy way of saying they're too lazy to create a back story for the character.
Indifferent2.gif

With all the people complaining about this, it just occurred to me that since the game is 3D that would be conducive to making longer, more detailed endings, or doing things to flesh-out the single-player home experience more. Yeah, I know all you hardcore guys are probably typing posts saying something along the lines of: Gameplay >>> every other aspect of the game, so discussion of anything that isn't gamplay related or the inclusion of anything that doesn't improve gameplay is stoopid. I'm not even sure why all the characters aren't stick-figures with different fighting styles on a black background. Make it a pure gaming experience like pong.

Gameplay purists aside, I'm wondering if anyone else would like a story mode with a more fleshed-out prologue and ending. I don't really care about having the story show up throughout the game - in between fights like Tekken 5 (PS2) - but I'd like to see some cool endings. Maybe even interactive ones like in Soul Blade or SC3 only maybe done better.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dali said:
Gameplay purists aside, I'm wondering if anyone else would like a story mode with a more fleshed-out prologue and ending. I don't really care about having the story show up throughout the game - in between fights like Tekken 5 (PS2) - but I'd like to see some cool endings. Maybe even interactive ones like in Soul Blade or SC3 only maybe done better.

I would dig that. I liked the story mode in GGXX: #Reload a lot. I thought it was pretty cool and can definitely be expanded. It never hurts to try and create a connection to characters. Even in fighting games.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dali said:
With all the people complaining about this, it just occurred to me that since the game is 3D that would be conducive to making longer, more detailed endings, or doing things to flesh-out the single-player home experience more. Yeah, I know all you hardcore guys are probably typing posts saying something along the lines of: Gameplay >>> every other aspect of the game, so discussion of anything that isn't gamplay related or the inclusion of anything that doesn't improve gameplay is stoopid. I'm not even sure why all the characters aren't stick-figures with different fighting styles on a black background. Make it a pure gaming experience like pong.

I dunno, reading this thread it seems more like:

crotch lumps >>>> facial expressions >>> KoF design GTFO >>> SF II 3D >>>> big extremities >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gameplay

Raging Spaniard said:
I dunno, reading this thread it seems more like:

crotch lumps >>>> facial expressions >>> KoF design GTFO >>> SF II 3D >>>> big extremities >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gameplay

Hopefully they'll add Shen Mu / God of War style QTE's to the ending and we all get to punch Dali in the crotch. :p

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The Take Out Bandit said:
Hopefully they'll add Shen Mu / God of War style QTE's to the ending and we all get to punch Dali in the crotch. :p

haha, hey didnt the first Soul Edge have endings like that?

I would totally welcome more story elements, I think Capcom could do a much better job if they decided to focus on it a bit more and give us something way better than the likes of KoF, Tekken, etc

I mean, KoF story is ambitious alright, and I enjoy it because it at least tries, but why is it that fighters just cant have a good story? Its not like nobody at Capcom us incapable of writing some good shit.

Raging Spaniard said:
I mean, KoF story is ambitious alright, and I enjoy it because it at least tries, but why is it that fighters just cant have a good story? Its not like nobody at Capcom us incapable of writing some good shit.

Well I'd first ask you to provide examples of Capcom writing something good that isn't Final Fight.

Because MAD GEAR GANG TOOK YOUR GIRLFRIEND AND YOU'VE GOT TO GET HER BACK! is probably the most straight forward and understandable plot they've ever fashioned.

And it can be viewed on deeper levels as Mike Haggar is the mayor who just can't take it any more! Those librulllls social programs have wreaked havoc on his once peaceful neighborhood and it's cost him his daughter! NEVER MESS WITH A FORMER WRESTLING CHAMPION!

:p

Seriously, nobody is playing these games for the story and if this delivers solid on-line play; it's going to further invalidate the need for phony single player value since you're going to be fighting against people until you get carpal tunnel syndrome like the good old days. :D

Raging Spaniard

The Take Out Bandit said:
Well I'd first ask you to provide examples of Capcom writing something good that isn't Final Fight.

Because MAD GEAR GANG TOOK YOUR GIRLFRIEND AND YOU'VE GOT TO GET HER BACK! is probably the most straight forward and understandable plot they've ever fashioned.

And it can be viewed on deeper levels as Mike Haggar is the mayor who just can't take it any more! Those librulllls social programs have wreaked havoc on his once peaceful neighborhood and it's cost him his daughter! NEVER MESS WITH A FORMER WRESTLING CHAMPION!

:p

Seriously, nobody is playing these games for the story and if this delivers solid on-line play; it's going to further invalidate the need for phony single player value since you're going to be fighting against people until you get carpal tunnel syndrome like the good old days. :D

Nah like, look outside of those genres, get the dude who worked on Dragon Quarter or some shit.

Im not saying the story needs to be serious like Mortal Kombat or anything, keep it goofy and silly and shit, but Id like to know how these characters interact more often

You care about the story in a fighting game? Okay.

Honestly I think a lot of you are being too hard on this game. Sure some of the stills look goofy but we're looking at something that will pass by in a four or five frames. If you stopped framed some of the classic Warner Bros cartoons you might be surprised at the antics, favors, overshoots and settles you'd see in the stopped frames compared to what you actually see when it's in motion. What little I've of Street Fighter IV seen in motion looks great, it looks like classic Street Fighter. Ken and Ryu make similar takes as Guile's and those expressions didn't look out of place when the game was moving. It just looked really animated and expressive.

As for the design of this new character. It looks alright, more in line with the Street Fighter universe than that former Shadaloo doll Crimson Viper or whatever her name is. The problem is there's nothing that really stands out with this design, which is why I think it's passable. It's as bland as most of the original casts designs.

Also two screenshots I've seen make it look like this guy is just replacing Sean. It looks like Able has Sean's tackle and flying kick.

VaLiancY

Not amazing but not bad. The real issue is how he plays not how he looks. There were tons of characters for me that looked stupid but I liked how they played.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looks good to me, fits in the SF world.

Most people here also don't even realize how beef SF characters have been for some time now.

They just want to bitch.

Jirotrom

sphinx said:
you have to be kidding.

those feet ( any character in SF4 with bare feet ) are like in "abomination" category :lol.

So much that it looks like a joke, SF characters have never looked like from the neanderthal age. For Fucks sake, Ryu's foot makes up for 1/3 of his whole leg. He's been turned into a freaking gorilla.

Look at your legs, your foot should make like 1/5 (maybe even less) of your entire leg, from hip to toes.

I guess I just don't dig the "art style" that much.
its pretty much always been this way.

I don't get why everyone is so ready to damn this game. I'll admit that's a horrid screen of Chun Li. I mean, I'm down with the thighs, but the arms are a bit "Mantastic", and not in a good way.

And for everyone who keeps calling the new guy generic, it is a point of a opinion, but compared to Ken and Ryu... stop kidding yourselves. They're [Ken/Ryu] literally the same model with different color palettes and slightly different hair. So, cut the new guy some slack. I think an MMAish fighter in SFIV will be pretty cool.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Skilotonn said:
Maybe they'd like it if they empty a barrel of zippers and buckles all over his clothes...

Hey is that a subliminal diss aimed at my boy K'?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
GrayFoxPL said:
On character design topic. I hope there's a chance Capcom will put these two in SF4.

normal_ill_ed3.jpg

I love these designs. Best Rival Schools characters.

wow! when did they give biker akira a more feminine shape?

Raging Spaniard

jaundicejuice said:
You care about the story in a fighting game? Okay.

Honestly I think a lot of you are being too hard on this game. Sure some of the stills look goofy but we're looking at something that will pass by in a four or five frames. If you stopped framed some of the classic Warner Bros cartoons you might be surprised at the antics, favors, overshoots and settles you'd see in the stopped frames compared to what you actually see when it's in motion. What little I've of Street Fighter IV seen in motion looks great, it looks like classic Street Fighter. Ken and Ryu make similar takes as Guile's and those expressions didn't look out of place when the game was moving. It just looked really animated and expressive.

As for the design of this new character. It looks alright, more in line with the Street Fighter universe than that former Shadaloo doll Crimson Viper or whatever her name is. The problem is there's nothing that really stands out with this design, which is why I think it's passable. It's as bland as most of the original casts designs.

Also two screenshots I've seen make it look like this guy is just replacing Sean. It looks like Able has Sean's tackle and flying kick.

Nah man, Im not complaining, Im just making conversation :)

SatelliteOfLove said:
10 years later, the belly-aching over new SF characters repeats itself once more...

That's because they aren't very inspiring designs to begin with, people had no complaints over SF Alpha 2 and 3 new characters, they were good designs that didn't clash with the original ones.

SatelliteOfLove said:
10 years later, the belly-aching over new SF characters repeats itself once more...

Yeah, it's probably like Street Fighter 3 all over again, we're ridiculous. In a few short years people will get attached to the characters and this will all be some faint memory.

turk128

Okay, it looks like they picked a hybrid form of Pancrase for Abel's fighting style. Wuh? Of all the MMA styles to pick, they go with Pancrase? Especially for such a huge guy. I mean throw some love at Sambo or catch wrestling at least.

Seems the only cool thing about him is his fanboi love for Santino Marella (hence the haircut).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmmm... http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/street-fighter.html#more

With no memory of his past, this young man has no choice but
to move forward, using any clue he can get his hands on to
rout out what may be left of Shadaloo. His fighting style
represents a mix of multiple martial arts. Though he appears
gruff and unfriendly on the surface, he is not the misanthrope
he seems to be. His serious and polite nature is easy to
misinterpret as indifference, but these still waters run deep
indeed.

abel1.jpg

abel2_3.jpg

abel4_2.jpg

The stripes on his shirt/gi look really out of place for some reason. Also, freaking OW at his plant foot on that kick.

Icomeinpeace said:
That's because they aren't very inspiring designs to begin with, people had no complaints over SF Alpha 2 and 3 new characters, they were good designs that didn't clash with the original ones.

Oh yeah, R.Mika just totally gels with the original cast.

Souther

Banned
The first time i seen the shot of Abel above i immediately thought of Josh Barnett.

Also he doesn't need shoes...He already has the bottoms of his feet(mostly) covered by his leg guards.

VVVVV i know.. lol

turk128

Souther said:
The first time i seen the shot of Abel above i immediately thought of Josh Barnett.

Also he doesn't need shoes...He already has the bottoms of his feet(mostly) covered by his leg guards.

VVVVV i know.. lol
Barnett was never that pumped up, not even when he was taking roids nor when he was channeling Kenshiro. Like some have pointed out, Abel really does look like Brock Lesnar.

Yeah, leg guards without shoes is damn retarded.

Raging Spaniard

WrikaWrek said:
abel2_3.jpg

You know what? Ryu look pretty good in this shot.

Hes freaked out cause of cockbite.

Nice screens! I like all the small scars hes got all over, cool character.

samusx

Banned
What the hell is with the hands and feet in this game. Are they god damn apes? I can't wait for Donkey Kong as an unlockable. To be honest he wouldn't look that out of place judging by the body proportions in this game.

Also, check out the characters in the background. I mean I know the main characters are supposed to be bigger and stronger than simple background characters. But the way they designed the characters in this game makes them look like giant freaks.

I always thought that Ryu's pants were kind of baggy, you know, so he could fight comfortably in them. But in this game those baggy pants are stretching under the sheer size of his legs. I mean it looks so stupid, who the hell is making the art choices for this game?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Man. I liked the old design of crimson viper better than the new one. This guy doesn't seem bad. Looks like every other SF character.

Top Bottom