• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter 4 Character + AOU vids

I like what they're trying to do with this engine, but their character models continue to be just awful... And I'm not talking about the facial expressions.

I don't know which game has it worse right now, based on what we've already seen: SSFIITHDR or SF IV.

Ferrio said:
makoto_avatar2.gif
Where did you get the full artwork from anyway?

GrayFoxPL said:
Is there a gallery somewhere that contains all the artwork from Rival Schools?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dali said:
Rumble Fish isn't 3D fighters in a 2D plane. It uses a technique that may be similar to 3D for the degradation of the clothing throughout a fight, but it is basically 2D assets. As far as straight-up trying to duplicate the feel of a 2D fighter [a traditional 2D fighter is what I'm assuming RS meant] using 3D assets, I think Battle Fantasia is the only game you mentioned that would qualify (God I want to play that game so bad), but I guess your point that SFIV isn't the first still stands.

Smash and Naruto qualify as well. =P Unless you want to dip into the fighter argument. My memory is fuzzy, but did Tekken 1 feature 3D movement? If not, there you go.

Dali

Kintaro said:
Smash and Naruto qualify as well. =P Unless you want to dip into the fighter argument. My memory is fuzzy, but did Tekken 1 feature 3D movement? If not, there you go.

Smash and Naruto may be on a two dimensional plane, but I was assuming RS was talking about 2D games with 3D assets that duplicate the controls of traditional (Guilty Gear, KoF, Street Fighter) 2D fighters.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Raging Spaniard said:
comparison.jpg

LOOK at Ryus feet in comparision, theyre FUCKING HUGE. Like thats some Greg Oden size shit right there, LOOK at Chun-Li's ass, that ass alone is bigger than her WHOLE upper body! In proper anatomy class you leanr that a MALE human beings hand, outstretched, will probably cover most of your face. Chun Li's hand, a female hand no less covers her entire face WITH HER FIST CLOSED.

So yeah sorry man, Street Fighter has been filled with fucking Neanderthals since day 1, you just failed to notice.
Those SF3 sprites are shown stretched vertically in the original hardware. So they're nowhere near that bulky.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I think the new characters pretty cool.

GAF's really giving this game unfair treatment I think.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The Take Out Bandit said:
Wait, I thought MoxManiac was the resident Capcom coprophiliac?

I think it looks good, that doesn't make me an apologist.

The new character especially looks cool, much better than the last one.

CPS2

It's the small pieces of news that people hate the most. 1 character that people don't like, and it's hate hate hate. The new screens at ign that just showed ken v ryu in the chunli stage had the same reaction.
The initial reveal was very positive, because that was big. I mean the ryu boner pic, not the egm leakage. Then when we saw honda, chun, guile, blanka etc, that was also a positive reaction. I guess tomorrow when we're seeing 10 characters in motion, the response will be very positive again. You probably won't even notice chun's hands (which is an interesting direction for this thread to take >_>).

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Wait to play the character before saying it is uninspired...The way he talks, his moves, the way the character animates are definitely important.

Is it a bitching-age thread or what?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Mistouze said:
Wait to play the character before saying it is uninspired...The way he talks, his moves, the way the character animates are definitely important.

You know it, basically if it don't look right it's an abomination. :D

sp0rsk said:
I think it looks good, that doesn't make me an apologist.

The new character especially looks cool, much better than the last one.

Given just these two characters so far, I'll take Appolonia and her wanna-be King of Fighters self over this guy.

He just looks awfully generic and the last thing this game needs is people drawing comparisons between it and the latter SFEX games and their endless Shotoclones. Hell, I'd rather see that Allen guy back. FIYAH BAWL! FIYAH BAWL!

Overall though? Not digging the look, especially looks worse in game. :\

I wonder if there will be a new big guy?

A little plain but otherwise I like the character -- certainly more than that wacky first new character revealed.

He fits the simple and practical design mentality of most of the original Street Fighter characters so I'm fine with it.

Kintaro

Mistouze said:

While what you say is true, we have to see it motion, GAF discusses what it's given. If Capcom wants better reactions, start releasing videos. If all we have are screens, they will be discussed, bitched at, etc.

For the record, I think the new guy looks ok. Makes me miss Alex though. Plus he stole Sean's move. =(

Dali

Given just these two characters so far, I'll take Appolonia and her wanna-be King of Fighters self over this guy.

He just looks awfully generic and the last thing this game needs is people drawing comparisons between it and the latter SFEX games and their endless Shotoclones. Hell, I'd rather see that Allen guy back. FIYAH BAWL! FIYAH BAWL!

Overall though? Not digging the look, especially looks worse in game. :\

I wonder if there will be a new big guy?

*Insert snarky comment about lame artist trying to tell Capcom how to do their job.*

Just being an ass, but you have to see the irony.

Dali said:
*Insert snarky comment about lame artist trying to tell Capcom how to do their job.*

Just being an ass, but you have to see the irony.

I'll gladly take that challenge! :D

Although I'm hung up on the World Warrior motif of SF2. So I'd want to see more fighting styles from different countries. And revamps of old favorites. :p

Dali

I'll gladly take that challenge! :D

Although I'm hung up on the World Warrior motif of SF2. So I'd want to see more fighting styles from different countries. And revamps of old favorites. :p

It wasn't really a challenge. I was actually making fun of a comment you made about criticism of Chun Li's cankles.

It is strange though that you prefer Viper to the new guy, but you like the old World Warriors concept better. The new guy is more in line with that motif than Viper. You complained about him looking generic, but the most iconic original Street Fighter world warriors are stereotypes. This guy just looks like another archetypical fighter. Fits the SF mold perfectly.

Victrix said:
It occurs to me that if SF2 were unveiled today, GAF would be filled with 'shitty character design' comments

I can clearly recall seeing SF2 for the first time back in EGM, two pictures - one of Dhalsim vs. Chun Li and I forget the other; but I don't recall going WTF or really being put off by it.

I just wondered what Street Fighter 1 was.

Then I got a chance to play the game and was blown away. Nobody was prepared for SF2 back then, but also nobody looked at the screens and said WTF. :\

Now we just come to expect certain things from characters and this new guy is neither visually cool or visually funny.

Dali said:
It wasn't really a challenge. I was actually making fun of a comment you made about criticism of Chun Li's cankles.

It is strange though that you prefer Viper to the new guy, but you like the old World Warriors concept better. The new guy is more in line with that motif than Viper. You complained about him looking generic, but the most iconic original Street Fighter world warriors are stereotypes. This guy just looks like another archetypical fighter. Fits the SF mold perfectly.

Oh, I know what you mean - and I still say I'd like a crack at designing a SF character. :p

Whereas redefining 3D fighters is a bit more difficult task as everybody is used to serious or sexy.

Yeah characters were stereotypes, but they weren't totally accurate what is Dhalsim's fighting style? Curry??

Blanka is Capoeira, and a totally crap representation at that.

If you're going for stereotype DOA nailed it with Bayman. The most lethal versions of Sambo are taught exclusively in the Russian military. Just loan Bayman from Tecmo. He's that awesome. :p

fresquito

I can clearly recall seeing SF2 for the first time back in EGM, two pictures - one of Dhalsim vs. Chun Li and I forget the other; but I don't recall going WTF or really being put off by it.

I just wondered what Street Fighter 1 was.

Then I got a chance to play the game and was blown away. Nobody was prepared for SF2 back then, but also nobody looked at the screens and said WTF. :\

Now we just come to expect certain things from characters and this new guy is neither visually cool or visually funny.
People back then enjoyed games for what they were. They didn't have agendas. It didn't matter how a character looked if the game was fun.

fresquito said:
People back then enjoyed games for what they were. They didn't have agendas.

Oh please dude!

There were SNES and Genesis fanboys, Nintendo / Sega / Atari fanboys.

So on and so forth.

Nothing ever changes, but the date on the calendar.

A few things:

- New guy looks cool, if he weren't blonde I'd say he's
amnesiac Vega/Bison
. I wanna see him in motion though; probably plays like a beast, really aggressive.

- Am I the only one excited by the goofy facial expressions? I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing fighting game characters react to being hit simply by closing their eyes and making this canned grimace. I'm seeing a whole plethora of reactions in these screens, and - exaggerated or not - I'm loving it.

- F*ck the haters, Chunners looks perfect. She's always been buff, her look has gotten more muscular as the series progressed, and her hands have always been big in both artwork and game.

fresquito

Oh please dude!

There were SNES and Genesis fanboys, Nintendo / Sega / Atari fanboys.

So on and so forth.

Nothing ever changes, but the date on the calendar.
Oh dude, Street Fighter was universally loved by gamers. Oh dude, back then games didn't need to be "cool".

Too many insecure gamers have joined the party in the last 15 years and gaming has taken a hit. I can't become to think what people would say if Final Fight was announed today. Now, that was the perfect definition of generic art. And you know, nobody cared back then.

Kintaro

fresquito said:
People back then enjoyed games for what they were. They didn't have agendas. It didn't matter how a character looked if the game was fun.

:lol :lol :lol TTOB answered you, but still enjoyed the laugh.

Oh dude, Street Fighter was universally loved by gamers. Oh dude, back then games didn't need to be "cool".

Too many insecure gamers have joined the party in the last 15 years and gaming has taken a hit. I can't become to think what people would say if Final Fight was announed today. Now, that was the perfect definition of generic art. And you know, nobody cared back then.

Yeah, back then. Back in the day, etc etc.

Guess what? The industry has matured a bit. It's not agenda, it's not whatever you think it is. You'll have to excuse gamers a bit when they see Street Fighter IV and see the same stuff they saw 15 years ago. The same gamers who played SF2 are now in their mid 20s-30s and you really can't blame them for expecting something that doesn't look pretty much exactly like SF2. Especially when there's a version of SSF2 coming out...again.

Your agenda bit is laughable because this game will be whored out to every system out there.

fresquito said:
Oh dude, Street Fighter was universally loved by gamers.

It was.

Is this failed sarcasm? :\

Oh dude, back then games didn't need to be "cool".

Games didn't need to be cool?

Odd that's how Sega built Sonic's marketing campaign, and subsequently the Genesis / Game Gear. :p

Keep on truckin' you're so very wrong in all regards. :lol

Capcom, if you're reading this thread, don't listen to them. Keep it up. If people want generic, uninspired 3d characters they can play Tekken, DOA, Soul Calibur or pretty much any other 3d fighter out there.

fresquito said:
And you see how they ended :lol

Yeah, if you compare the Sonic franchise of 2008 to the Sonic franchise of 1991 - yeah, hindsight is always 20/20.

The point is, Sega marketed toward cool. It garnered them a fan following and loyal purchasers.

That they've completely screwed that up of their own volition since then is irrelevant to your claim that companies don't market software to "cool". Good day sir.

-Eddman-

Yeah, looks meh, but i really appreciate their intentions of putting real martial arts from around the world. The game is subtitled "World Warrior" after all.

And if this is going to be the trend, i would love to see one of those shitty filler characters from SF1, just to piss off the haters even more... Joe, Retsu perhaps?

Take the current cast plus akuma, Oro, Yun, Elena and you'll keep me happy Capgod.

Xtyle

DKnight said:
Those SF3 sprites are shown stretched vertically in the original hardware. So they're nowhere near that bulky.

Exactly.
I don't know why when people post pics they always not check the aspect ratio.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
bigben85 said:
Exactly.
I don't know why when people post pics they always not check the aspect ratio.

Stretched or not, that doesn't alter the proportions though. By that I mean how big is the foot compared to the leg, hands to head, etc. Since its all stretched at the same rate, he still has HUGE feet and HUGE hands and SMALL head when compared to the rest of his body

daemonic

Banned
Despite all the criticism, I still like how this is turning out. I'd much rather the extreme cartoony look than something uber realistic looking like VF or Tekken. Too bad they're only showing one level so far.

Top Bottom