• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter 4 Character + AOU vids

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
MisterHero said:
:lol

he probably tried to dash in[/nerd-splanation]

Now that I think about it, this game reminds me of Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman.

*thinks about it*

How so? I've played the games, but I'm having a hard time picturing it.

Souther

Banned
Wow...SF fans are the biggest whiners ever! Nothing is ever good enough.

Thank god i am more KOF fan than SF. Capcom should have just went back and remade SF3:3rd Strike in HD instead of SF4 to appease you.

I'm gonna laugh when the majority of people here complaining about the new characters turn around and say. "Holy Shit! Abel and Viper ROCK!!" SF4 OWNZ!

Now...Who knows how i will react when KOFXII comes out and Yamazaki isn't present, I hope that doesn't happen but
I may have to take back everything i just said above.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
sphinx said:
you have to be kidding.

those feet ( any character in SF4 with bare feet ) are like in "abomination" category :lol.

So much that it looks like a joke, SF characters have never looked like from the neanderthal age. For Fucks sake, Ryu's foot makes up for 1/3 of his whole leg. He's been turned into a freaking gorilla.

Look at your legs, your foot should make like 1/5 (maybe even less) of your entire leg, from hip to toes.

I guess I just don't dig the "art style" that much.

sf-blanka.gif
blankafruittoss-3.gif
blanka-diz.gif

blanka-throwmiss.gif

chunny-ts-stance.gif
chunny-ts-neck.gif

bisonalphastance.gif

balrog-diz.gif

adon-eagle.gif

Guile_win_flex.gif

ken-ts-stance.gif
ken-hit.gif
ryu-stand-hit.gif

lyre

Elbrain said:
We need to see more girls in this game and ones that look hot. :D
Screw that! We need more freaks in Street Fighter. Moar:

Blanka
Dhalsim
Twelve
Q
Oro
Dan
Necro
Gill
Sodom
even that Skeleton dude from the EX games.

Freaks! Show them to us!

MisterHero

Kintaro said:
*thinks about it*

How so? I've played the games, but I'm having a hard time picturing it.
It's just the aesthetic, I guess. I was thinking out loud. :p

You're right about the art style likely not translating to 3D. One of America's most popular comic-book illustrators (Jack Kirby) had terrible perspective (or just chose to ignore it) but his art was eye-popping regardless.

Still, I guess I'm still positive the game should look great by its final stage.

Ferrio

Banned
sphinx said:
you have to be kidding.

those feet ( any character in SF4 with bare feet ) are like in "abomination" category :lol.

You know what they say about women with big hands/feet.

makotostance.gif

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
sphinx said:
you have to be kidding.

So much that it looks like a joke, SF characters have never looked like from the neanderthal age. For Fucks sake, Ryu's foot makes up for 1/3 of his whole leg. He's been turned into a freaking gorilla.

Look at your legs, your foot should make like 1/5 (maybe even less) of your entire leg, from hip to toes.

I guess I just don't dig the "art style" that much.

Nope, no joke. For one, you can talk about proportions all you want, but guess what? Street Fighter has never given 2 shits about proportions on a normal human scale.

Look at these arms, MONSTROUS, from Ryus ending in SF 3

sf3ryubg.jpg

Look at this Udon art, that many people love (not myself) and tell me these prportions arent batshit insane, Ryu doesnt even need to kneel.

Street_Fighter_4_Cover_by_UdonCrew.jpg

Look at Blankas face LOLOLOL, Street Fighters should make serious face ALL the time!

1106610795.jpg

Yep,. pretty much the same facial expression that he has in IV and people bitch, mmm...

4pct1.png

If a game had realistic proportions, then a fighter should look like this MMA athlete who could kick all of our asses, and then some.

Casey_Olson_MMA.jpg

Damn, man if a videogame looked like that? BORING ASS SHIT, heres some more comparison, look at the picture of that guy above and then look at this:

comparison.jpg

LOOK at Ryus feet in comparision, theyre FUCKING HUGE. Like thats some Greg Oden size shit right there, LOOK at Chun-Li's ass, that ass alone is bigger than her WHOLE upper body! In proper anatomy class you leanr that a MALE human beings hand, outstretched, will probably cover most of your face. Chun Li's hand, a female hand no less covers her entire face WITH HER FIST CLOSED.

So yeah sorry man, Street Fighter has been filled with fucking Neanderthals since day 1, you just failed to notice.

Kintaro

MisterHero said:
It's just the aesthetic, I guess. I was thinking out loud. :p

You're right about the art style likely not translating to 3D. One of America's most popular comic-book illustrators (Jack Kirby) had terrible perspective (or just chose to ignore it) but his art was eye-popping regardless.

Still, I guess I'm still positive the game should look great by its final stage.

I'm sure it'll be fine. There's stiff competition this year though, so even if SF4 disappoints (well more than it has by excluding SF3 characters), there's more than enough to pick up it's slack.

Neo C.

Xav said:
I officially don't care about Street Fighter IV anymore. Seriously I'm just tricking myself into liking this because it's Street Fighter, this game looks awful. This is the Street Fighter IV I had been waiting for? Forget it, I'll be playing Super Smash Bros Brawl & Soul Calibur IV instead.
neogafoz4.jpg

It's kinda ironic to see you having this avatar. Before the release, Wind Waker was one of the most controversal titles ever. Now most of us agree that Wind Waker is one of the most beautiful game last gen.

I bet the same will happen with SFIV. The graphic has this sort of comic style, and the stylized appearance won't get easily old. To be honest, I'm really interested in the presentation.

CPS2

New character looks kinda boring, probably won't be using him unless he's got some kind of insane playstyle. Still not getting the hate, promotional stuff is always so bleh compared to seeing decent players show what's possible.

Also the EX comments are still retarded. Different developer, artstyle, hardware, gameplay systems. EX is the codeword for shit. But you never see these retards explain what they don't like about EX.

fresquito

You know, after reading people complaining about hands size and retarded stuff like that, I feel like having a meltdown. But I will refrain from it. But really, some people should use some brains before posting.

WrikaWrek

Banned
fresquito said:
You know, after reading people complaining about hands size and retarded stuff like that, I feel like having a meltdown. But I will refrain from it. But really, some people should use some brains before posting.

Please do meltdown and explain us brainless retards how Chun Li having Hulk size hands:

Heck not even mentioning the forearms, just the hands, tell us why we shouldn't think it looks horrible.

fresquito

WrikaWrek said:
Please do meltdown and explain us brainless retards how Chun Li having Hulk size hands:

Heck not even mentioning the forearms, just the hands, tell us why we shouldn't think it looks horrible.
Please, explain me how is this important to consider the game any better or any worse.

GrayFoxPL

~Devil Trigger~ said:

Fuckin' thank you!

I hope some of the whiners will finally understand.

Every SF4 thread and it's the same thing over and over again. It's getting tiring.

On character design topic. I hope there's a chance Capcom will put these two in SF4.

normal_ill_ed3.jpg

poster2.jpg

Batsu only (in the middle)

I love these designs. Best Rival Schools characters.

Kintaro

Damn, man if a videogame looked like that [MMA dude]? BORING ASS SHIT, heres some more comparison, look at the picture of that guy above and then look at this:

Actually, I would not have minded if they toned it down when they made the move to 3D characters. It probably would have helped them out a ton. They would still look big, but wouldn't look as strange as they kind of do now.

Besides, people complain about the size of T&A in SC4, you think they wouldn't complain about the weird proportions in this? Both games could stand to tone it back. But for the record, I'll take big breasts over crazy Chun Li hands anyday. :D

v0yce

revolverjgw said:
All of the SF2 characters are ''generic'', which is precisely why they worked so well.

Maybe, but most still had something that gave them "character." I mean, Sagat is a very generic Muay Thai fighter, but make him bald, give him an eye patch and a huge scar on his chest, and now he has some uniqueness. Guile is super typical army dude, but with one outrageous hair cut. Honda generic sumo, but with kabuki paint. etc, etc.

I'm fine with Abel's clothing (like it actually) but I wish his head wasn't so plain. Still, I'd bet his animation and fighting style will fill him out.

CPS2

fresquito said:
Please, explain me how is this important to consider the game any better or any worse.

I was against this Makoto player one time, and they did an anti air EX fukiage into standing HP and I got stunned. Pissed me off so much how big Makoto's hands were, I got up and left.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
WrikaWrek said:

Like I just explained, proportionately those are same hands she has in 3rd strike. You cant have a problem with one without having a problem with the other.

As for her thumb on her left hand, I dunno wtf that is, could it be part of the building? Whatever it is Im sure its not her thumb because even the modeling doesnt match with her clearly visible right hand thumb.

Kintaro said:
Actually, I would not have minded if they toned it down when they made the move to 3D characters. It probably would have helped them out a ton. They would still look big, but wouldn't look as strange as they kind of do now.

Besides, people complain about the size of T&A in SC4, you think they wouldn't complain about the weird proportions in this? Both games could stand to tone it back. But for the record, I'll take big breasts over crazy Chun Li hands anyday. :D

So you want Street Fighter to look like DoA or VF? Why? Wouldnt you rather have something new? I love how these 3D models respect the sprite design and illustrative look, its phenomenal and uinnovative for such a risky product.

Azih

Because
Chun Li's hand, a female hand no less covers her entire face WITH HER FIST CLOSED.

So yeah sorry man, Street Fighter has been filled with fucking Neanderthals since day 1, you just failed to notice.

fresquito

UC1 said:
I was against this Makoto player one time, and they did an anti air EX fukiage into standing HP and I got stunned. Pissed me off so much how big Makoto's hands were, I got up and left.
Well, this just confirmed my former impressions.

lyre

v0yce said:
Maybe, but most still had something that gave them "character." I mean, Sagat is a very generic Muay Thai fighter, but make him bald, give him an eye patch and a huge scar on his chest, and now he has some uniqueness. Guile is super typical army dude, but with one outrageous hair cut. Honda generic sumo, but with kabuki paint. etc, etc.
And whoever complained about Balrog needs to remember he's a parody/homage to Mike Tyson, ie big, dumb, too many hits to the head Vegas style boxer. His original name WAS Mike Bison. And being a character created more than a decade ago, I'm more willing to give him a pass compared to nowadays where character artists are a dime a dozen. With that said, there should be no reason a new character should beat into you the notion 'I am generic'. IMO of course.

duckroll

Good to see SFII 3D is continuing to be SFII 3D with a few throwaway generic newbies. As long as Capcom USA isn't pretending it's SFIV anymore, all is good. :D

Kintaro

Raging Spaniard said:
So you want Street Fighter to look like DoA or VF? Why? Wouldnt you rather have something new? I love how these 3D models respect the sprite design and illustrative look, its phenomenal and uinnovative for such a risky product.

Somehow you got "tone it down" and transformed it into DOA/VF? Uh, ok. Good job. But actually, VF size wouldn't be so bad because VF guys are still pretty darn muscular anyways without coming off too freakish like these characters do.

Did you just call SF4 innovative?

duckroll said:
Good to see SFII 3D is continuing to be SFII 3D with a few throwaway generic newbies. As long as Capcom USA isn't pretending it's SFIV anymore, all is good.

This is one way to look forward to the game. :D Someone hook me up with a SF2 3D defense force avatar.

GrayFoxPL

The Abominable Snowman said:
Kyosuke's (Far right) more popular.

And cooler.

He got into CVS, so yeah. But he sucked there as much as he sucked in RS. Basicly he's good at sucking :p.

Akira&Batsu FTW :(.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Abel looks fine.

This looks like a perfect 3D translation of SFII.

All hail SFII
3D
!

KingJ2002

it's funny... they dont have to do too much to make abel look "less generic"

- they could add some detail to his clothing such as an emblem
- give him a couple of scars
- or give his costume a third color (aside from his shoulders)

thats why i like this design... because depending if people like abel or not... they can take his design in many ways. i noticed that capcom tends to let people's perception of their characters influence which way their designs will go in the next installment.

Dali

GrayFoxPL said:
Fuckin' thank you!

I hope some of the whiners will finally understand.

Every SF4 thread and it's the same thing over and over again. It's getting tiring.

On character design topic. I hope there's a chance Capcom will put these two in SF4.

normal_ill_ed3.jpg

Bu...bu... but Akira is teh KoF rip-off.

Seriously, as cool as that would be, I'd rather wait for Rival Schools 2 using this new engine. Mark my words. 2010 it's going to happen.

Raging Spaniard

Kintaro said:
Somehow you got "tone it down" and transformed it into DOA/VF? Uh, ok. Good job. But actually, VF size wouldn't be so bad because VF guys are still pretty darn muscular anyways without coming off too freakish like these characters do.

Did you just call SF4 innovative?

Well, it seemed like thats where you were getting at. SF has always had its look and I dont see it changing in 3d, the reasoning behind suggesting you wanted that look is that there arent that many other options, really.

And yeah, SF 4 is super innovative. For a LONG, LONG time people were saying that a 2d fighter in 3d wouldn't work, that it was impossible even since others had tried and failed. People have a reeal short memory, but from seeing the gameplay videos it has happened. FAST and solid looking 2D fighting with pure 3D art. The facial animations and how easy it is to see how a character reacts to a huge hit is also innovative for a fighter (not mentioning Fight Night because thats its own little genre)

From looking at the gameplay specs, 2 different bars and the saving system, all that sounds innovative to me as well and CONFIRMS that this is its own game, not this silly SF II 3d concoction. The gameplay systems are completely different and just having returning characters doesnt make it the same game (Alpha 3 also had the original 8)

duckroll

Raging Spaniard said:
And yeah, SF 4 is super innovative. For a LONG, LONG time people were saying that a 2d fighter in 3d wouldn't work, that it was impossible even since others had tried and failed.

Erm, what? Did you just decide to forget that Rival Schools, Rumblefish and Battle Fantasia exists? What the hell. :p

Xtyle

Raging Spaniard said:
comparison.jpg

LOOK at Ryus feet in comparision, theyre FUCKING HUGE. Like thats some Greg Oden size shit right there, LOOK at Chun-Li's ass, that ass alone is bigger than her WHOLE upper body! In proper anatomy class you leanr that a MALE human beings hand, outstretched, will probably cover most of your face. Chun Li's hand, a female hand no less covers her entire face WITH HER FIST CLOSED.

I think SF2 Ryu is much closer to being correct size.

Kintaro

Raging Spaniard said:
Well, it seemed like thats where you were getting at. SF has always had its look and I dont see it changing in 3d, the reasoning behind suggesting you wanted that look is that there arent that many other options, really.

The reasoning for my suggestion is simply because it looks really, really goofy right now. This thread isn't the only place where people believe so either. There's folks on both sides.

And yeah, SF 4 is super innovative. For a LONG, LONG time people were saying that a 2d fighter in 3d wouldn't work, that it was impossible even since others had tried and failed. People have a real short memory, but from seeing the gameplay videos it has happened.

Define failed. The Rumble Fish did it. Battle Fantasia did it. Smash Brothers did it. Hell, even Naruto: Narultimate Hero did it.

FAST and solid looking 2D fighting with pure 3D art. The facial animations and how easy it is to see how a character reacts to a huge hit is also innovative for a fighter (not mentioning Fight Night because thats its own little genre)

This isn't really new either, but it's just that it's done to such hyperbole, it's noticeable. And goofy. That being said, it is taking it farther than any other.

From looking at the gameplay specs, 2 different bars and the saving system, all that sounds innovative to me as well and CONFIRMS that this is its own game, not this silly SF II 3d concoction. The gameplay systems are completely different and just having returning characters doesnt make it the same game (Alpha 3 also had the original 8)

None of that is innovative. It's new for SF, but nothing new nor innovative as a whole. SNK has messed with two styles of Supers forever and the saving system is barely known enough for such claims as "innovative". However, bars for stuns, reversals, etc aren't new, nor innovative.

Just like people complain about "whining" and "emo being thrown around so much, "innovative" is right up there.

Dali

Kintaro said:
Define failed. The Rumble Fish did it. Battle Fantasia did it. Smash Brothers did it. Hell, even Naruto: Narultimate Hero did it.

Rumble Fish isn't 3D fighters in a 2D plane. It uses a technique that may be similar to 3D for the degradation of the clothing throughout a fight, but it is basically 2D assets. As far as straight-up trying to duplicate the feel of a 2D fighter [a traditional 2D fighter is what I'm assuming RS meant] using 3D assets, I think Battle Fantasia is the only game you mentioned that would qualify (God I want to play that game so bad), but I guess your point that SFIV isn't the first still stands.

MisterHero

concerning innovation, I do see that the SFIV team is saying that they are building the game around the Online, as well as doing the respective same for each platform's Online.

focusing on the Online functionality before aesthetic rendering is innovative I'd think, for a fighter, at least.

Somehow, the "yeah SFIV looks ridiculous but hey so did the previous games" argument is failing to win over my "holy shit what is this ridiculous saturday morning cartoon crap" sentiments.

Top Bottom