• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Street Fighter 4 Character + AOU vids

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Eh, looks alright.

There's still something off about the graphics though, but I really can't peg it down. I want to say the shadows/self-shadowing (of general lack there of) but I'm not sure that's it.

I've given up hope on any returning 3S characters. They purposely set the game to where they can get away with not using them. With so many freakin' fighting games coming out this year, I don't have to focus on this one so much until it's ready. Thank god.

KTallguy

Banned
I think the new character looks very generic, but I do like some little touches, like the stripes on top of his shoulders. I guess we'll see in a week.

Alex's design is MUCH better.

Mamesj said:
you guys can have your opinions, but you aren't looking any cooler by derailing this topic with boring judgments on fan art.

Shitty fanart is shitty. Makoto doesn't look like a ditzy waif, even when she's dizzied in SF3:3S.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
sphinx said:
I wonder if the artists at capcom have a fetish for big, bulky, disproportional feet.

It's getting very weird as characters are being revealed. :lol :lol

I think a lot of you are finally discovering what Street Fighter designs have always looked like now that theyre in 3D.

Big extremities = staple

gutshot said:
New characters are cool and all, but when are we going to see a new stage damnit!
When the game does come out, Chun-Li's stage will either be the most picked stage or the least picked stage.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
didnt they state the game isnt 100% finished yet? Are the character models 100% final or could they be tweaked? Im not freaking out yet but yes those hands are a bit on the weird side.

The Hermit

DMPrince said:
Such a turn-on Guile <3

Untitled-2.jpg

W
T
F
!

Really this game has to be a parody of Streef Fighter... I mean look at Ryu´s face!

Basch

I don't think the new main guy looks generic. He looks pretty cool to me. I'm starting to like this new style to Street Fighter. Very creative. Designs are real nice. They do need to show more stages. Bit of a turn off. I like the exaggerated animations/stills. I have a feeling it will look better in motion.

MisterHero

Chun-Li has man hands!

If they only said what country this new guy was from I'd think there'd be less arguing. :lol

Raging Spaniard said:
I think a lot of you are finally discovering what Street Fighter designs have always looked like now that theyre in 3D.

Big extremities = staple
Yea, that's what I figured. I can understand the bitching about the faces, since you really can't define a face in sprites nearly as well as in polys and textures (They should have fixed the faces) but when you've seen the Chun Li slap jab sprite, and how her hands were about as big as E Honda's (which were already huge) I'd say these models are right on the money.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Baiano19 said:
W
T
F
!

Really this game has to be a parody of Streef Fighter... I mean look at Ryu´s face!
You might have to go back and look closely at some of SF2's animation frames. And that is Guile.

Dali

Scribble said:
Someone in this thread called Zangief generic, I was responding to that.

Sorry about that. Apply my sarcastic post as a response to whoever said that then, because Zangief is just like every other huge Russian, bear-fighting, brawler that put a new spin (pun intended) on a classic wrestling move.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Basch said:
I don't think the new main guy looks generic. He looks pretty cool to me. I'm starting to like this new style to Street Fighter. Very creative. Designs are real nice. They do need to show more stages. Bit of a turn off. I like the exaggerated animations/stills. I have a feeling it will look better in motion.

it already looks good in motion

Jirotrom

sphinx said:
I wonder if the artists at capcom have a fetish for big, bulky, disproportional feet.

It's getting very weird as characters are being revealed. :lol :lol
its not capcom... its just the art style.

Kintaro

I'm trying to figure out why Guile is making that face. The still looks like a successful block, so why the fucked up face as if he got hit? Unless it's a guard crush or something.

Threi

notag
I think what SFIV needs for more people to accept it is more seriousness.

No more open mouths, every character should wear an unchanging angry grimace, even when they get punched in the face.

That will make the game more "cool" and people won't have to be worried about getting laughed at by their friends when they pause in the middle of a game only to see Ryu having a funny expression on his face. I mean seriously - funny faces for a split second? That shit is only for little kids. Big mature people don't need that crap.

MisterHero

Kintaro said:
I'm trying to figure out why Guile is making that face. The still looks like a successful block, so why the fucked up face as if he got hit? Unless it's a guard crush or something.
Guile didn't block anything. :p

The real question is: do I expect to see fighters get their jaws dislocated every time they're punched in the face? :p

Kintaro

MisterHero said:
Guile didn't block anything. :p

The real question is: do I expect to see fighters get their jaws dislocated every time they're punched in the face? :p

He didn't block anything? How do you figure that? Abel's palm strike is hitting Guile's block. Unless he's either 1) Dhalsim 2) the move is pushed back after the hit connects or 3) some fucked up hit boxes.

MisterHero

Kintaro said:
He didn't block anything? How do you figure that? Abel's palm strike is hitting Guile's block. Unless he's either 1) Dhalsim 2) the move is pushed back after the hit connects or 3) some fucked up hit boxes.
1) Guile's arms are usually up.
2) He got hit in the face, likely so hard that he got knocked back
3) Guile trying to keep his hands in the air + the force of this knockback, makes it look like his arms are sticking out

It's just the animation.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Threi said:

No more open mouths, every character should wear an unchanging angry grimace, even when they get punched in the face.

That will make the game more "cool" and people won't have to be worried about getting laughed at by their friends when they pause in the middle of a game only to see Ryu having a funny expression on his face. I mean seriously - funny faces for a split second? That shit is only for little kids. Big mature people don't need that crap.

and add 20 belt buckles and zippers on each character

Xav

I officially don't care about Street Fighter IV anymore. Seriously I'm just tricking myself into liking this because it's Street Fighter, this game looks awful. This is the Street Fighter IV I had been waiting for? Forget it, I'll be playing Super Smash Bros Brawl & Soul Calibur IV instead.

I think he looks decent. Intimidating and not stupidly overdone with crazy clothes/physical features. He looks like a fighter, not a Ryu clone or a big powerhouse, but something in between. Not enough of those guys in this game. As long as his fighting style is distinctive, that should be enough. He fits in with the other SF2 designs.

Azih

I like this character far more than the first new character. The simple styling seems to fit way better in SF than the SNK knockoff.

And lord get over the exaggerated pain reactions on successful hits. If it works well in *motion* than it'll be really good.

He looks awesome. That's indeed a sambo outfit. Guess we'll see a Leon-esque fighter with grapples and heavy strikes. I saw a sambo special on Discovery which was quite interesting.

FooTemps

Threi said:

You've never been in a fight have you? People make the dumbest faces when they fight without realizing.

BitchTits

Those funny face animations are gonna go by so fast, you're not really going to notice them that much during play. It's only because we're seeing still shots of them that they look so odd. SF has always been full of stuff like this.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
BitchTits said:
Those funny face animations are gonna go by so fast, you're not really going to notice them that much during play. It's only because we're seeing still shots of them that they look so odd. SF has always been full of stuff like this.

yeah like when blanka got hit in the other titles he's in.

sphinx

the piano man
Raging Spaniard said:

Big extremities = staple

you have to be kidding.

those feet ( any character in SF4 with bare feet ) are like in "abomination" category :lol.

So much that it looks like a joke, SF characters have never looked like from the neanderthal age. For Fucks sake, Ryu's foot makes up for 1/3 of his whole leg. He's been turned into a freaking gorilla.

Look at your legs, your foot should make like 1/5 (maybe even less) of your entire leg, from hip to toes.

I guess I just don't dig the "art style" that much.

Kintaro

MisterHero said:
1) Guile's arms are usually up.
2) He got hit in the face, likely so hard that he got knocked back
3) Guile trying to keep his hands in the air + the force of this knockback, makes it look like his arms are sticking out

It's just the animation.

Eh, I'll go with it. Did he get so hard that he shit dust? =)

Kintaro

sphinx said:
you have to be kidding.

those feet ( any character in SF4 with bare feet ) are like in "abomination" category :lol.

So much that it looks like a joke, SF characters have never looked like from the neanderthal age. For Fucks sake, Ryu's foot makes up for 1/3 of his whole leg. He's been turned into a freaking gorilla.

Look at your legs, your foot should make like 1/5 (maybe even less) of your entire leg, from hip to toes.

I guess I just don't dig the "art style" that much.

Actually, go look at SFAlpha Ryu. His feet are Big McLarge Huge.

That being said, the style just may not translate well into 3D polys for many people. Especially with the art design they're using.

MisterHero

Kintaro said:
Eh, I'll go with it. Did he get so hard that he shit dust? =)
:lol

he probably tried to dash in[/nerd-splanation]

Now that I think about it, this game reminds me of Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman.

RyanDG

Kintaro said:
That being said, the style just may not translate well into 3D polys for many people. Especially with the art design they're using.

I think this is what it really boils down to. Yes, Street Fighter characters are grossly deformed and keen to be able to stretch in ways that are anatomically not possible (check out Ryu/Ken's jump in roundhouse in Third Strike for example). However when it is a 2D sprite based game, these issues aren't so slap you in the face noticeable since its more "acceptable" then. In a game built out of 3D polygons gross anatomical mess ups tend to stand out quite a bit more like a sore thumb it seems.

Top Bottom