• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario 3D World hands-on, gameplay

Word from the composers on influences for the soundtrack, references to old tunes, and cats vs dogs:

http://www.destructoid.com/super-mario-3d-world-composers-talks-cats-dogs-and-more-264473.phtml

Plus, as the review copies surface, as will early impressions of course.

From a German magazine:

http://www.pcgames.de/Super-Mario-3...espielt-Kommentiertes-Gameplay-Video-1095920/

- they're halfway into the game, probably just done with world 4
- the game has 8 worlds (from what they can tell atm) and while each has one general overworld theme, the level settings themselves have a lot of variety
- so far it's pretty easy, especially thanks to the cat suit (e.g. you can climb up the wall if you fall), he even calls it broken
- the multiplayer is pretty fun, cause you can just sign right in and can play co-op or competitive
- the level design is not as crazy as in smg so far

BowieZ

Banned
cute

BYaI31cCEAAWVVM.jpg:large
dat HD disc art

BowieZ

Banned
Word from the composers on influences for the soundtrack, references to old tunes, and cats vs dogs:

http://www.destructoid.com/super-mario-3d-world-composers-talks-cats-dogs-and-more-264473.phtml
"Mahito Yokota: Sadly, there isn't any remixed music from Super Mario World. However, this is a game where you take control of four characters, each with different abilities. Does that remind you of Mario 2 at all? You might just find some musical rearrangements from that game here."

Awesome.

... that was made in under 2 years. It was staretd after 3D Land was finished. Galaxy took 4 years to make. Known fact, although at first it was heading in a different direction.

They're still an amazing development team and the game looks incredible, I'm not really arguing about how long it took to make each game because that's pretty inconsequential to me. If the quality's there, it's there regardless. Perhaps Galaxy was a bigger undertaking. I don't really know, but it doesn't affect this game.

xandaca

- so far it's pretty easy, especially thanks to the cat suit (e.g. you can climb up the wall if you fall), he even calls it broken

That's what I was most afraid of tbh. The number of power-ups in all the gameplay videos is absolutely ridiculous.

"Mahito Yokota: Sadly, there isn't any remixed music from Super Mario World. However, this is a game where you take control of four characters, each with different abilities. Does that remind you of Mario 2 at all? You might just find some musical rearrangements from that game here."

Awesome.

Super Mario 2 had some bangers so I'm looking forward to hearing the arrangements.

Kard8p3

Sweet.

Have we seen actual gameplay footage of that underground bomb-and-run sequence? That would be an ideal place to use the SMB2 Underground theme.

Nah I don't think we have yet but it would be a missed opportunity if they didn't use it there.

Top Bottom