• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ultra Street Fighter 4 Info

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Damn Cammy still gonna be Cammy tier huh?

The Yun Vs Zangief match up just got 0-11
But since Thawk is my main im cool

bryanee

I was just listening to the Best Friends Podcast and they were talking about this when it was rumour, funny to see it confirmed just after listening to them talking about it.

Platy

Also you can select two ultras with reduced damage?

TfNSuLe.png

Can we call this setup Wombo Combo ???

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

I feel like Red Focus would be more useful if it acted like Red Parry, where you can only do it from block stun break out of someone's string. It should also be either really hard to do or cost meter.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Aquasilk to win Evo 2K14 confirmed.

def sim

These new mechanics are big enough to change the general flow we've become accustomed to. They may just not have to make V so soon if this proves popular.

Anyway, I hope they post balance changes for each character soon. I'm really interested in how they'll update the roster with these in mind.

Damage nerf or not some sets of ultras really should not be accessible at the same time. Red focus sounds... eh.

Considering the EH rumour article was spot on for these two mechanics, I'm gonna assume the unblockable fix is a button press to delay wakeup.

New002

I played a ton of Street Fighter 4. Bought super but life got crazy busy and I didn't open it for months. I only ended up playing it a tiny bit when I finally opened it. I'm getting pretty excited about jumping back in with this release though. I need my Guile fix.

TheAznOne

Why people scared of Gief when there's Hakan? I play Hakan and this new system mechanic has me quite happy but also scared.

Hakans ability to move while focusing was too good. Now with red focus and option to use both ultras in a match, I can see folks baiting people with the moving red focus to either jump to get U2 or take the hit to get U1 unless they quickly react with a focus breaking move. Too many new options setups going on my head.

K.Sabot

I can see Adon being the best with these changes since he doesn't give a fuck about focus attacks. And having a comboable ultra along with an anti-fireball ultra.

Hopefully he'll get normalized.

TheAznOne

Damage nerf or not some sets of ultras really should not be accessible at the same time. Red focus sounds... eh.

Considering the EH rumour article was spot on for these two mechanics, I'm gonna assume the unblockable fix is a button press to delay wakeup.

You do know that "rumour" originated from this site and not eventscrubs.

I can see this possibly creating a schism.
seriously...i dunno how this is gonna play out. Can't say I'm initially convinced...

Well, let me just say I love SF, but this is the first thing that caught my attention as well. The problem with certain characters, was that there Ultra's sucked (read: not versatile) or didn't do nearly enough damage as others. (Ex. Ken's U1 vs. Ryu's U1) However, the core mechanics were solid, really solid. Footsies got more and more important after you figured out how to avoid most character's Ultra setups. I believe Ultra weren't really the strong point of a match either in high level play, but it was generally a moment of excitement since it generally isn't landed every single match but when an opponent catches you and causes big damage. This new system only seems to be enhancing Ultra's, which at first glance, seems to take away from there uniqueness and WOW factor.

Secondly, the vortex (Akuma's setups, Ibuki's kunai or not knowing which way to block Viper's burning kick) might be easier to handle with Red focus for players with less reaction time or time to study those characters in defending that stuff. IMO, that allows for a more balanced game, where the player is beating you versus his character beating you. I like this trade off quite a bit, and it also is enough to stop the 2 Ultra (besides damage) from being too offensive, it's a welcome addition.

Lastly, there's characters with really situational Ultra's. For example I play Chun completely different when she has U1, as she can go through FB or punish certain moves with long recovery, while Ultra 2 is more of a traditional combo setup. Giving her or characters like Gief both Ultras seem overkill. I mean as a shoto, how do you approach Gief knowing you can get grabbed from being too close or jumping away? Balancing this will be crazy tricky...

nikos

From what I'm reading, you can red focus indefinitely (costs two bars) unless you're hit with an armor breaking move. The number of hits you take won't matter. Not sure how accurate this is.

Why people scared of Gief when there's Hakan? I play Hakan and this new system mechanic has me quite happy but also scared.

Hakans ability to move while focusing was too good. Now with red focus and option to use both ultras in a match, I can see folks baiting people with the moving red focus to either jump to get U2 or take the hit to get U1 unless they quickly react with a focus breaking move. Too many new options setups going on my head.

I forgot about how deadly an oiled Hakan is. You're right.

ScOULaris

Dayum. These are some big changes with big implications. I have my reservations about both red focuses and double ultras, but I'm excited to see how these shake everything up. I think it has the potential to inject new life into the series... or destroy it.

K.Sabot

seriously...i dunno how this is gonna play out. Can't say I'm initially convinced...

Secondly, the vortex (Akuma's setups, Ibuki's kunai or not knowing which way to block Viper's burning kick) might be easier to handle with Red focus for players with less reaction time or time to study those characters in defending that stuff. IMO, that allows for a more balanced game, where the player is beating you versus his character beating you. I like this trade off quite a bit, and it also is enough to stop the 2 Ultra (besides damage) from being too offensive, it's a welcome addition.

Akuma's vortex might be trash now that I think about it.

Demon flip palm is the only armor break, so that limits most of his guessing game from demonflip setups.

Fei Long is buffed heavily by double ultra and red focus. It's not as if you see his U1 much and his U2 is a damaging counter.

Rufus will gain little from red focus on account of his crap FA range and reliance on super meter. He also is almost certainly worse in double ultra mode as he loses the burst damage from U1 to gain an ultra that is of questionable quality, even in fireball matchups.

Seth is similar to Fei. Both his ultras are useful and it's not as if he is a burst damage character anyway.

Gen needs his ultras as damaging as possible and his U2 is crap. He also really likes super meter so red focus isn't much for him.

Zangief is only minorly buffed, as most sane Giefs are using U2 anyway and ultimately Gief's U1 is not critical to his game.

Fuerte probably will want to stick with U2.

TBH these are pretty sideshow features. A new mechanic for wakeup is what is needed.

Luftwaffle

Neo Member
Akuma's vortex might be trash now that I think about it.

Demon flip palm is the only armor break, so that limits most of his guessing game from demonflip setups.

He has demon flip throw too.

Anyway I use Akuma and I think he will still be pretty good, a bit less scary with all these new features. Also he will still give Gief a terrible time even with double ultra.

However that double ultra is going to worsen some already tough matchups. (Yun-Gief).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Two ultra's = yes.

Red Focus = no. :(

But I guess that Red Focus is needed to build enough Ultra meter to use both in the same round/game.

Nuklear

Banned
It's already hard enough to balance this game so they add more variables to it? This is going to turn into AE v1.

TheAznOne

From what I'm reading, you can red focus indefinitely (costs two bars) unless you're hit with an armor breaking move. The number of hits you take won't matter. Not sure how accurate this is.

From the video demo of the red focus, it looks like you can take 3 hits before dash cancelling out of it. Ryu dashed cancelled out after the third attack from Kens multihit attacks..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I seriously hope these are DIMP-style switches like Third Strike OE had for messing about. I really can't see tournaments running this version if no-more-unblockables and stuff like that break the game like Yun did in 2012: AE before the console nerf.

Sheroking

Not worried.

AE 2012 has gotten tired anyway. Even if it breaks the game, at least it will prolong my interest.

Now, onto that 5th character...

Top Bottom