• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ultra Street Fighter 4 Info

I like how people are immediately claiming grapplers will be OP while forgetting that there will be a damage reduction if the grappler choose to use both Ultras.

Without any substantial buffs to the characters themselves, Gief/Hawk/Hakan are gonna stay right where they are on everyone's tier lists.

Imm0rt4l

It's already hard enough to balance this game so they add more variables to it? This is going to turn into AE v1.
Makes the game fresh. I'm sure people were hyped for isms in sfa3. To be fair capcom has done an awesome job balancing sf4 so far with the exception of ae which was seemingly intentional anyways. Hopefully theyre able to keep it up.

Oh my. This is going to be so damn interesting! I'm so excited for Ultra. The game has changed entirely. :D

I can't wait to find out all the possible things.

MasterRain

Neo Member
I was hoping it was a focus out of block stun, but that would be an absolute bitch to balance.

The changes aren't as crazy as people are making out. Red focus could easily be the Pandora of this game. It costs two meters, and is beaten by armor breakers and throws. You are not only gambling two meters, but if they react by evading or breaking your focus they could do easily >50% damage. There is NO SCALING when taking that white damage.

Red focus is only really an escape method. Using it for offense is a massive gamble, for example punishing stuff like Cammy buffering cannon drill after cr.mk to beat your normal focus. Good players will react to the red, not take the bait, and you have to backdash and have just wasted two meters... Guess you then have the yomi of being able to using normal focus coz shes scared of the red one!

maybe red focus has to be committed to with the entire animation of a focus attack.

I.E. you start it and can't cancel it with a dash?

Aquasilk to win Evo 2K14 confirmed.

Do you even know who Aqua is? Man doesn't even know the input for ultra 1 and would never be able to comprehend it.

Will be interesting to see how things turn out. Red focuses don't sound too bad to me right now as they seem to be a way for characters with no defensive options to get up safely for the cost of a fadc dp.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't understand. I thought Capcom formed a new understanding that the strength of the SF franchise (or at least, its perceived strength) is its relative purity and simplicity. If anything - I was hoping Ultras would be removed (against hope, I know) and maybe the engine speed would increase slightly, or something. The game will have 40+ characters, it doesn't need any more mechanics muddying shit up.

Dartastic

Oh god.

Zangief-THawk.jpg
Makoto V. Gief will be... interesting. *cries*

That being said, Makoto definitely got scarier from this as well. HEHEHEHE.

I wonder if it's possible to red focus an entire Ryu U1 and then U2 him while he's recovering. Oh man.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Red Focus would be more useful if it acted like Red Parry, where you can only do it from block stun break out of someone's string. It should also be either really hard to do or cost meter.

This would be cool indeed, but I'd like to hear more about it as it stands. FA is a great part of SFIV that keeps it different from III, and I welcome any changes/improvements to the system.

J10

Banned
As a Chun-Li player I'm stoked to have access to both Ultras. This Red Focus shit sounds like it might be on par with air blocking though.

This would be cool indeed, but I'd like to hear more about it as it stands. FA is a great part of SFIV that keeps it different from III, and I welcome any changes/improvements to the system.
I hope it's an improvement, I really do...

Both Ultra just seems like it's taking away strategy and to appeal to casual players. Where's the reward for footsies and studying character tech?

I hope this new focus balances everything, got my skeptic shades on as of right now...

Kimosabae

Banned
I wish you could Jump-Cancel Focus Attacks. I want to be able to EX Siesmo out of a FA with Viper, or reset my FA charge state with another FA startup. Why the fuck not? Just turn this shit into straight Marvel already.

Gief just went a few notches on tier imo though I hope it's a more permanent placement like in vanilla and not some bullshit 3 months down the line where everyone learns how to deal with grapplers and suddenly they're mid to low again.

Obviously, double ultra is just an incredible adjustment to gief's game by itself. Even if the damage is lower it'll making his jumping game more dangerous. You'll be even able to do RED focus cancel dash ultra gimmicks. Oh god even as I'm typing this I can see it being deadly in the corner where you could straight unblockable them or even bait with backdash.

PLUS ex hand knocks down now? I can focus sagat s.rk and bison scissor kicks?

This is so good I must be dreaming.

Was there any more clues given lately as to who the new fifth character is?
The only rumor that probably has more weight now is that its a female. Because I think it came from the person who leaked that we'd get both ultras and red focus..?

Whatever Yun's tier is now he will get knocked down a couple pegs because of grapplers have air and ground ultras both at their disposal ..

Gief just went a few notches on tier imo though I hope it's a more permanent placement like in vanilla and not some bullshit 3 months down the line where everyone learns how to deal with grapplers and suddenly they're mid to low again.

Obviously, double ultra is just an incredible adjustment to gief's game by itself. Even if the damage is lower it'll making his jumping game more dangerous. You'll be even able to do RED focus cancel dash ultra gimmicks. Oh god even as I'm typing this I can see it being deadly in the corner where you could straight unblockable them or even bait with backdash.

PLUS ex hand knocks down now? I can focus sagat s.rk and bison scissor kicks?

This is so good I must be dreaming.

Yes. Gief, Hawk, Hakan, Hugo: TOP TIER.

LZfHGm5.jpg

Please let this happen!!

I wonder what the input is for red focus.

my first reaction was that it's a little late to be introducing brand new mechanics, but thinking about it more, this probably isn't as much of a gamechanger and it seems. I doubt many people will use two ultras except on a couple of characters, and red focus seems pretty situational. I think getting out of vortex-like stuff is probably its best use, or for scaring the crap out of people when they're cornered against a grappler. two meters is a lot.

we'll see. that's certainly interesting, and I trust combofiend.

Mr. X

I seriously hope these are DIMP-style switches like Third Strike OE had for messing about. I really can't see tournaments running this version if no-more-unblockables and stuff like that break the game like Yun did in 2012: AE before the console nerf.

dipswitches*

Top Bottom