• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Valkyria (Media Vision, RPG [not SRPG], new world) and VC1 Remaster for PS4 (JP)

Faustek

Super late reply. Work called and we had a laser that was trying to kill people instead of doing its work and not killing people.

They've had a variety of dedicated device output lately as well.

Shining Resonance (PS3, 2014)
Digimon Cyber Sleuth (Vita/PS4, 2015)
Summon Night 6 (PS4/Vita, 2016)
Valkyria of the Azure Revolution (PS4, 2016)

Symphogear is Wild ARMs :D But yeah, MV has been busy and I'm happy. Not happy that not all their games have made it over but happy that they can do good games still.

Director left a while back anyway. I dunno if they'll ever make another Wild Arms. They've been doing a lot of Chaos Rings shit.

The third one is really great. To bad they didn't start with that one though. Anyway, Kaneko is still there

And about Kaneko if people don't remember he was actually teasing about something 2 years back and that GarakeGK thing. So yeah believ it'll come. Just Sony being Sony and, pulling stuff out of my ass, they switched from PSV only to add PS4 as well.

On topic: really, I'm more than ok with this going the action RPG route. Will be interesting seeing how it ends up.

*Waiting for pretty CE to be announced*

After VC1 on PC did so well I'd be shocked if both VC1 for PS4 and the new game didn't also make it over here. There's clearly enough interest in the franchise in the west to justify the localization costs.

VC1 will probably be digital-only, though.

Videoneon

If VC remaster is digital-only i'd be pissed

I don't think you just said this, but did you imply the Tales games have mediocre combat? If so, we might have beef.

I still think VC PS4 is a near certainty, but you do have a good counterpoint.

Not since Graces have I found Tales combat interesting =P it's not terrible, but not all that great. It's...how to say. Kind of fun. The point of my comment anyway was that if the combat is merely serviceable it still has a chance of surviving in Japan

Graces is GOAT though, I love that shit

As for Certified's comment, well, remember also that Wii U is an incredibly unattractive platform for developers since not many games besides Nintendo stuff sells on it

PS4 adoption is also great in the West, as is PC gaming. Wii U isn't that great anywhere

I don't think his comment was meant to be dissected as much as I'm doing, but uh...it's just Yakuza and the Wii U are very strange and unique situations

I like to call it research and marketing deck stacking, or marketing confirmation bias. Take your pick, but it's essentially when a corporation has already decided on a direction and is hell-bent and determined to ensure the market research backs it up. In other words, the market research is done not to find out what customers actually want, but rather to fix the data to come to the conclusion they decided in advance.

We saw it with New Coke in the 90s and that bombed so badly it was hilarious seeing Coke react to what the world actually thought as opposed to their deck stacked market research. I brought up RE on the Wii previously and Sega is doing the same with VC.

It's actually a touch more... maybe insidious is a harsh word but... here's the thing.

Sega is setting these two games up not as a spinoff and a remaster but rather as the direction they want to go in vs. the old. Sega isn't stupid; they and every other corp. ever know that a "remaster" rarely ever sells as well as the original unless it's dirt cheap like during a Steam sale. They will sell the remaster on PS4 for full price and it will flop at that price because only a small minority of the hardcore fans would buy a game they've already bought and played again for full-price, no matter what the improvements are.

They're setting up a situation where the "strategy genre" VC is virtually guaranteed to sell less than the "spinoff", even if the spinoff doesn't sell amazingly. But they don't need it to. They just need it to sell quite a bit more than the remaster so the market research teams can go to the higher ups and say "The numbers are IN! VC fans want more Action RPGs, not strategy games!" And the numbers will "back it up" because the deck was stacked to do precisely that.

Sega is essentially saying "This is the direction we're taking the brand. Take it or leave it,"

Feels a little tinfoil hat-ey overall. I think it's more likely that Sega felt like this was the more viable direction to take the brand well before the VC1 PC port happened, which proved that there was demand for the original VC formula. VC1 for PS4 may sell less than the new one, but I doubt the new one will outsell/out-profit VC1 when totaling PS3+PS4+PC, or even just PS4+PC.

The more likely scenario is that sales of the old series ports justify them keeping the SRPG Valkyria games going and if Blue Revolution does well enough it becomes a concurrent spin-off series. It's not completely unheard of for a franchise to have "main line" games of one genre and spinoff games of different genres, Final Fantasy and Neptunia being the most relevant examples.

Ubernube

Feels a little tinfoil hat-ey overall. I think it's more likely that Sega felt like this was the more viable direction to take the brand well before the VC1 PC port happened, which proved that there was demand for the original VC formula. VC1 for PS4 may sell less than the new one, but I doubt the new one will outsell/out-profit VC1 when totaling PS3+PS4+PC, or even just PS4+PC.

The more likely scenario is that sales of the old series ports justify them keeping the SRPG Valkyria games going and if Blue Revolution does well enough it becomes a concurrent spin-off series. It's not completely unheard of for a franchise to have "main line" games of one genre and spinoff games of different genres, Final Fantasy and Neptunia being the most relevant examples.

The Summon Night series has been doing this for quite awhile in fact. The mainline series are SRPGs, and the swordcraft series are ARPGs.

You know what would be cool? If they took the Blitz engine, and then built an ARPG around a lot of the tactical and strategic elements from that system. Essentially an SARPG hybrid of sorts. It'd be unique to ARPGs just like Chronicles was unique to SRPGs.

I secretly hope that's what they're going for and is the main reason they're including the demo of the game with the remaster, to show people it's still has Chronicles heritage, but just a different take on its formula.

Yazuka

Sounds interesting so far! Really hope we get both games, preferably both physical editions.
Come on Sega, show us some love in the west too! So we can show you some Valkyria love.

Will skip the remake as I played VC1 extensively when it came out and then some more after the trophy patch.

Would be hyped for Azure but if it's not a SRPG... it will likely be extremely beautiful though.

raven777

screenshots
CUGkhXBUcAQsRlg.jpg:orig

CUGkfVaUwAA_wuo.jpg:orig

CUGkanOU8AAh5DA.jpg:orig

BJK

Reminds me of what EA did with the last SSX game; get fans hyped up for the return of the thing they loved, only to find that the gameplay they loved the thing for wasn't being brought along for the ride.

I'll scale back my overwhelming love for the idea of a VC sequel, at least until we get a playable demo. It's still possible there may be a way to XCom this new gameplay into something that modernizes the original with reverence...but hearing "real-time" is a massive letdown.

I actually really liked the Valkyria universe so I'm okay exploring it more RPG style. Hope both these come West.

And those screenshots....

BreathingIntensifies.jpg

Hmm. We'll see. It does look nice, but man, does anyone even have a gun in this game? It does seem like a near-complete abandonment of the things that originally made Valkyria Chronicles stand out from the crowd. I guess we'll see, but it's probably better for my sanity not to think of this as a Valkyria game at all and pretend it's a new IP.

Nyoro SF

And after that all characters will go to the beach to chill out and show some skin! :)

I read in the VC1 design interview that it's actually an Overworks tradition to have at least one beach episode in their games.

Media Vision kind of adopted the tradition in VC3. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened. lol

screenshots
CUGkhXBUcAQsRlg.jpg:orig
CUGkfVaUwAA_wuo.jpg:orig
CUGkanOU8AAh5DA.jpg:orig

The first two screens look really good, but probably aren't in-game battle. :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hmm. We'll see. It does look nice, but man, does anyone even have a gun in this game? It does seem like a near-complete abandonment of the things that originally made Valkyria Chronicles stand out from the crowd. I guess we'll see, but it's probably better for my sanity not to think of this as a Valkyria game at all and pretend it's a new IP.

Valkyria Revolution this is,Valkyria Chronicles this is not. It is essentially a new IP with Valkyria elements.

So yes, it makes sense to think of this game as separate from Valkyria Chronicles.

Top Bottom