• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New WiiU Bundle coming?

Effect

Got an email, company-wide all WiiU basic editions are being recalled.

Finally Nintendo gets it that no one wanted that sku.

About time. It was a bad sku from the start and unless you really wanted the color white it was hard to justify buying the basic considering all you got with the deluxe model.

Mr. Fix

Wow, didn't realize that the WiiU is still $299 and $349...

$249 for NSMBU pack
$299 for Pikmin3 pack

I keep forgetting that the deluxe is $350, and I'm not sure how to measure these things appropriately. Either way, I'm still picking one up this Winter, with or without the price cut.

Himself

God I hope Nintendo fixes this console before Wonderful 101 comes out. I really don't want to have to shell out for an incredibly overpriced console with no optical digital out.

Roto13

Wow, didn't realize that the WiiU is still $299 and $349...

$249 for NSMBU pack
$299 for Pikmin3 pack

I could potentially see the second one happening. Not the first one, though. Nintendo ain't throwing away their evergreen games like that.

Leonsito

I keep forgetting that the deluxe is $350, and I'm not sure how to measure these things appropriately. Either way, I'm still picking one up this Winter, with or without the price cut.

A bit insane, PS4 and X1 will be around $399, Nintendo needs to drop the price to have at least a $100 dollar difference.

Given the suspected tech in the WiiU, it has to be the gamepad price really hurting them, are they yet making profit on every WiiU unit?

Somnid

God I hope Nintendo fixes this console before Wonderful 101 comes out. I really don't want to have to shell out for an incredibly overpriced console with no optical digital out.

I have bad news for you about the future...

Also as far as the holidays go I think they will try to recoup some of their margins by introducing a 64GB system that will come in place of the the Deluxe.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I'm trying to recall the last time Nintendo added ports to their console.

Sandfox

The only games I could see being bundled are Mario Kart and NSMBU unless Nintendo announces something interesting next week.

That being said I could see a drop to around the $250-300 price range happening.

Amir0x

Banned
I would have gotten the advanced one if it came with NSMBU or Sonic Racing. I don't need a minigame collection.

:brofist:

Basic Bundle was the way to go. Avoid game I would never want even if it was my last day on Earth alive, and then just update with a big external drive instead of the criminally tiny HDD on either bundle.

$300 for the Deluxe sounds pretty good to me, especially if they have some sort of Mario / Smash Bros. bundle planned. I don't want to get my hopes up though.

The 250 deluxe plus game is going to be nice. I kind of would like to see the meltdowns if the ps4 actually turned out to be 350. Id get a basic for sub 200

I have bad news for you about the future...

Also as far as the holidays go I think they will try to recoup some of their margins by introducing a 64GB system that will come in place of the the Deluxe.

I'm not convinced another sku is the solution. It'd probably work out better to just drop basic completely, and provide a range of Premium bundles with different games included. Say, one with Nintendoland, another with NSMBU, and one with Lego City. Add more later as 3D Mario and Mario kart whenever they come out. Some more third party packs with Monster Hunter, or any willing 3rd party games might help too.

Possibly have them all include a digital nintendoland + one another retail game, the cost of a digital nintendoland is minimal, so it shouldn't affect price too much.

Nintendoland isn't a bad game, and I'm glad I have a copy of it, but it absolutely is not the system seller that Wii Sports was.

MisterHero

The 250 deluxe plus game is going to be nice. I kind of would like to see the meltdowns if the ps4 actually turned out to be 350. Id get a basic for sub 200
Wii's only SKU had a far greater price difference vs PS3 and 360's most expensive bundles. With that difference people could afford a pile of games or even a DS.

I don't see such a big advantage now, but a new price is in the right direction.

Miletius

So I should wait a couple of weeks to get one is what this thread is saying. I kind of wanted to pick one up before I moved for travel fun but maybe I'll make it a fun "welcome back to comfort" present.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Recalled as in "being sent back to Nintendo"? Or will they let the current stock sell out?

Either way, I'm glad they're ditching that SKU. Felt rather pointless to me, too. Guess that means that white Premium is releasing outside of Japan, too.

Mr. Fix

So I should wait a couple of weeks to get one is what this thread is saying. I kind of wanted to pick one up before I moved for travel fun but maybe I'll make it a fun "welcome back to comfort" present.

Never get a console when e3 is nearby, you never know.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You really think I'd waste my time making something up as silly as this? That's unfortunate.

It's VAPittis, every time he sees something bad against Nintendo he comes and posts aggressively in that way without trying to build conversation. I saw that too many times in MediaCreate threads, I know.

I'm not convinced another sku is the solution. It'd probably work out better to just drop basic completely, and provide a range of Premium bundles with different games included. Say, one with Nintendoland, another with NSMBU, and one with Lego City. Add more later as 3D Mario and Mario kart whenever they come out. Some more third party packs with Monster Hunter, or any willing 3rd party games might help too.

Possibly have them all include a digital nintendoland + one another retail game, the cost of a digital nintendoland is minimal, so it shouldn't affect price too much.

Nintendoland isn't a bad game, and I'm glad I have a copy of it, but it absolutely is not the system seller that Wii Sports was.

Well we've had a range of premium bundles in Europe, Nintendoland, zombiu and monhun

So how long would it take to recall and repurpose these systems? Will it be done before E3? Maybe they'll announce it a few weeks after E3? Either way, I think we've figured out NoA's July hole. All the marketing money is going to promoting the price cut. They should really slide out a new game alongside it, though. They can probably shit out a Mario Kart by then.

Cbajd5

While I agree completely, calling the WiiU's memory a "hard drive" is a bit of a stretch. You can buy a USB drive with more storage space than the WiiU has.

They don't even call it a hard drive, because it's not. It's simple flash storage like the Wii's 512 MB but bigger, designed to hold saves and small/commonly used games or apps.

At best they'll up the internal storage to 32GB and make them new Deluxe systems but in white. Otherwise for increasing storage space I'd imagine they would just include an external hard drive.

Or they might just hold them for the holidays, stick a game in the box and slap a sticker on it making it a value bundle or something.

(P.S. Everyone play Nintendo Land. That Pikmin Adventure is fun.)

Himself

I'm trying to recall the last time Nintendo added ports to their console.

I know, I know. The lack of 5.1 bothers the hell out of me though. Makes the hardware itself seem even more outdated than it already is. Playing Bayonetta 2, whatever Retro is cooking up, etc. is going to be a bit lame coming out of my TV speakers.

Sandfox

So how long would it take to recall and repurpose these systems? Will it be done before E3? Maybe they'll announce it a few weeks after E3? Either way, I think we've figured out NoA's July hole. All the marketing money is going to promoting the price cut. They should really slide out a new game alongside it, though. They can probably shit out a Mario Kart by then.

We already know that japan is getting a new bundle the week Pikmin 3 comes out. It would be pretty much impossible for them to do all that work in a week so it won't be done before E3.

Bullza2o

I just bought a Wii U Basic 1.5 months ago! Anyways I got that plus a new Nintendoland for $300.

The lack of 5.1 bothers the hell out of me though. Makes the hardware itself seem even more outdated than it already is. Playing Bayonetta 2, whatever Retro is cooking up, etc. is going to be a bit lame coming out of my TV speakers.

That's a different problem. Nintendo went for LPCM for surround sound, so those with older home theaters that only do Dolby (like me) are left out.

The_Lump

Banned
Would trade my black Premium model for a White one right this second. (white pro controller for UK would be nice too...)

Recalled?

What Nintendo will do with them?
Repurpose them and change them to deluxe?

At the very least, reusing the white gamepads is as simple as switching the boxes.

Most likely, the recalling is a protective move agreed to by retailers and Nintendo doesnt want them firesale'd off because its not a dead product (cue jokes) and create market confusion about the price.

Sandfox

I know, I know. The lack of 5.1 bothers the hell out of me though. Makes the hardware itself seem even more outdated than it already is. Playing Bayonetta 2, whatever Retro is cooking up, etc. is going to be a bit lame coming out of my TV speakers.

I'm not disagreeing with you but 5.1 isn't exactly new and cutting edge lol.

Eric C

Step 1 Get rid of the Basic SKU

My prediction by this fall

Remove Nintendo Land and Bundle with Mario Kart U instead.

Price Drop to $300

Start selling Nintendo Land separately with a WiiMote
iM25gIKl.png

Somnid

A new SKU is how they keep margins much like how MS and Sony did it (And how Apple/Google/Amazon do it with tablets). A memory bump isn't super expensive but can demand a higher price and so driving consumers to premium models alleviates the costs of having low end models that are break even or lossy.

They should have bundled Nintendoland in all console just like Wii Sports. People choosing not to buy it was bad because even people who didn't want Wii Sports were often showing it off to other people and it built good word-of-mouth. Nintendoland didn't have quite that opportunity and is a great game. This is one of their biggest mistakes in my opinion.

Stuffing in digital Nintendoland versus disc is a good cost saver especially now that it can fit snugly on 32GB.

If they drop price then no other pack-ins would immediately be necessary. I think maybe some specially priced packs in November is something they should do but probably not right away.

Top Bottom