• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newegg Final Fantasy XV Xbox One Day One Edition $29.99

Kill3r7

I've resisted so far but for $30 it is a no brainer. I am fairly certain you can trade it in to BB for more than that if the game bombs.

labaronx

Likely a reaction to what i saw on Amazon last night... the ps4 version of ff15 was at 12 on the bestsellers chart, the xbi version wasnt even ranked

wildfire

Banned
Likely a reaction to what i saw on Amazon last night... the ps4 version of ff15 was at 12 on the bestsellers chart, the xbi version wasnt even ranked

But MS had a pricing mistake. Newegg made the same mistake,

Isn't it so obvious Xbox fans are into the Japanese version of "The Entourage"?

Steroyd

Has a game ever nuclear bomba'd before its even released like this? Holy shit.

I was questioning it before but now I'm REALLY interested if this game is going to make up for its porting costs.

Ravage

Has a game ever nuclear bomba'd before its even released like this? Holy shit.

I was questioning it before but now I'm REALLY interested if this game is going to make up for its porting costs.

This is the second time SE bled for MS. They really should cancel KH3 asap.

Red Warrior

Neo Member
Lol, wow. I was on the fence on this but $30 is a no brainer. I figured XBO sales would be low vs PS4, but if MS and Squeenix authorized a 50% reduction already, that's a sign they have no faith in this.

This is like a pre-bomba, as opposed to the big bombas of IW, Dishonored 2 and Titanfall 2. Lol what is it with sequels doing poor sales this year.

nOoblet16

Better to get more sales at low price than sell a few at full price.

I think it was obvious that this game was primarily going to sell on PlayStation. FFXIII was a stand out case since it came out when Xbox was the more successful platform and also had a higher install base than Done does right now.

Red Warrior

Neo Member
Better to get more sales at low price than sell a few at full price.

I think it was obvious that this game was primarily going to sell on PlayStation. FFXIII was a stand out case since it came out when Xbox was the more successful platform and also had a higher install base than Done does right now.

Plus, it may tempt more fence sitters like myself, especially since MS' gen 7 efforts to get JRPG gamers on board weren't exactly a success.

Uh...Just because the game is an Xbomba doesn't mean it's going to flop. Once again. No. One. Plays. JRPGS. On. Xbox. Sony has a larger general player base anyway and last gen JRPG fans got burned by MS and/or Japanese devs, whoever you want to blame. If you want to play games like this use a PS4, Vita, and 3DS

Red Warrior

Neo Member
Uh...Just because the game is an Xbomba doesn't mean it's going to flop. Once again. No. One. Plays. JRPGS. On. Xbox. Sony has a larger general player base anyway and last gen JRPG fans got burned by MS and/or Japanese devs, whoever you want to blame. If you want to play games like this use a PS4, Vita, and 3DS

Squeenix itself quoted a ridiculously lofty sales number just to break even on FFXV. Every sale matters, regardless of platform. And the fact this game is being positioned as the Great White Hope to reinvigorate Western interest in the genre adds a lot of pressure to succeed. If FFXV flops, there's a very real chance the series will go in a totally different direction, and we could be playing FFXVI as a mobile exclusive.

And MS did attempt to court weebs on 360, but the general lack of interest put the kibosh on that plan, especially considering the 360's flagship exclusive JRPGs -- Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey -- did not do well at all.

This could be a nice starting point for a discussion, actually. Who owns the "fault" for things like this?

That'd be worthy of a thread in and of itself, and the decline of the JRPG in the 7th generation due to rising dev costs and the wider acceptance of WRPGs over JRPGs are no doubt part of the reason.

Squeenix itself quoted a ridiculously lofty sales number just to break even on FFXV. Every sale matters, regardless of platform. And the fact this game is being positioned as the Great White Hope to reinvigorate Western interest in the genre adds a lot of pressure to succeed. If FFXV flops, there's a very real chance the series will go in a totally different direction, and we could be playing FFXVI as a mobile exclusive.

And MS did attempt to court weebs on 360, but the general lack of interest put the kibosh on that plan, especially considering the 360's flagship exclusive JRPGs -- Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey -- did not do well at all.

If you're talking about Tabata mentioning it selling 10 million, then that is not a break even point. It's simply a goal he set as the director. As far as I know, Square hasn't actually publicly stated how much it would need to sell to break even.

Damn for a split second, I read the title as FFXV and Day One edition Xbox One for $35!

Still crazy to me that 3 years later you can still get a brand new Day One Edition Xbox One brand new from Amazon.

Red Warrior

Neo Member
If you're talking about Tabata mentioning it selling 10 million, then that is not a break even point. It's simply a goal he set as the director. As far as I know, Square hasn't actually publicly stated how much it would need to sell to break even.

Even then, considering how long this thing has been cooking, and the number of cooks in the erstwhile kitchen, it can't have been cheap to make.

Also, Squeenix's Japanese division has, to no one's surprise, heavily favored the PS4. The only reason this is multiplatform is because it's Final Fantasy, and they want as much exposure/as many sales as possible.

nOoblet16

Even then, considering how long this thing has been cooking, and the number of cooks in the erstwhile kitchen, it can't have been cheap to make.

Also, Squeenix's Japanese division has, to no one's surprise, heavily favored the PS4. The only reason this is multiplatform is because it's Final Fantasy, and they want as much exposure/as many sales as possible.
It's only been in actual full development since like 2013. Before that there wasn't much work being done, I doubt it was even in pre production.

Like Duke Nukem Forever took years to get released after announcement but they didn't really spend all those years working on it, intfact FFXV had less development than even that.

Are we really doing this?

Maybe. I'm a "meathead". Spent more time this year shooting up the inner solar system in Destiny and Gnashering the Swarm to chunks than anything else. Always been an RPG but nothing on Xbox is appealing. That's why I have a PS4. And that's kind of the point.

Red Warrior

Neo Member
If it ends up sucking, at least you'll get back $30 in trade value within the first few weeks. That makes this a zero-risk investment, really. After XIII broke my spirit and put me off from JRPGs for a very, very long time, I wasn't gonna jump on this, but this is a steal. And it probably won't go this low for a while after it goes out to retail channels proper, so I'm willing to take a $30 risk on a game I've been lukewarm on for a while now.

Can you list more popular games? Not sure if you had enough in this post.

I was attempting to get all the cliche big box annual games in there, I would have included Assassin's Creed but this year we're getting a movie instead of a proper game.

le.phat

Ouch, preorders must be epically bad for a game that's been in dev for 10 years, only to launch at bargain price on 1 platform'

Flux

Could I buy this and trade it in for a PS4 copy at no cost? 'Cause I don't own an Xbox One.

Typically yes. Usually they will if you just say it was a parent's mistake or something along those lines of a misplaced gift. At worst, you'd get the Xbox trade in value, which I assume is greater than $30 and should be high considering it hasn't launched.

It is a good thread starter. However that number wasn't a break even number. It was pretty much a pipe dream goal. The game hasn't been in development for 10 whole years and I think we all know that's just hyperbole meme by now. The budget was high, but SE isn't going to go broke if this game fails. This IS the new direction for the series. If it goes awry, we won't be playing FF16 on mobile, we'll be playing it on consoles, either taking gameplay inspo from the trashy repetitive turn based waifu sims that are keeping the market afloat or just going full on nostalgia and pitching a Setsuna-esque game to the people who are still interested in mainline FF.

There's a reason it's bombing and nobody will stalk ebay for this game, at least not this version.
What is the reason? The Xbox version has a good reason to be bombing. The visual quality is trash compared to the PS4. It's an afterthought port. Most people aren't scourging the internet for pre patch Peruvian game streams though. Most people I know who want this game want to go in fresh themselves.

Bingo.

I don't even want to defend this game on this level because I'm nervously optimistic myself but Gaf has such a hate boner for it that it's ridiculous.

robotrock

Banned
Are there any good comparisons out there of the differences between the XB1 and vanilla PS4 version?

What resolution difference are we talking?
What is the reason? The Xbox version has a good reason to be bombing. The visual quality is trash compared to the PS4. It's an afterthought port. Most people aren't scourging the internet for pre patch Peruvian game streams though. Most people I know who want this game want to go in fresh themselves.

Please tell me about this

ironmang

Could I buy this and trade it in for a PS4 copy at no cost? 'Cause I don't own an Xbox One.

Ya I need some deals wizard to tell me what my best course of action is to get $30 PS4 version legally. Morally... eh I'm fine getting one over on some big box store.

Top Bottom