• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newegg Final Fantasy XV Xbox One Day One Edition $29.99

Red Warrior

Neo Member
I wouldn't say I want to see it fail, but I don't have much confidence in it. XIII was not good, and for me really didn't feel like a Final Fantasy. I didn't even bother with the sequels. Squeenix has to know it lost a lot of goodwill by giving us THREE games based on a divisive setting and characters during gen 7, so they'll probably eat losses from cheap Xbox preorders just to get people playing it.

And if this game nuclear bombas, trust me, we'll see it slashed down to $35 just like Titanfall/Dishonored 2 within weeks.

RibMan

While its great deal, Why not Discount the PS4 version as well?

Based on the deep discounts across multiple stores, it's safe to assume that the pre-order and interest for the X1 version is extremely low. The price cuts are simply meant to bring those numbers up.

They'll discount the PS4 version when/if the numbers and interest for that version drop.

naitosan

Pretty crazy but glad for XB1 owners wanting to grab it for that price. I grabbed one at MS Store for $35 with $15 reward credit.

e-gamer

Also, a nice thing would be avoiding to treat the XB1 version like an afterthought and present the game to the audience in a competent way. If you want it to sell on Xbox One too, for instance, why publishing the remaster of the previous chapters on just PS4? Even if you don't want to engage in physical publishing just bring it on XB1 digitally.

Otherwise you'll always give the impression that XB1 customers are second-rate, thus not generating "love" towards the game.

Not so true. It's like those remakes/remasters sold millions, isn't it?

Xbox One audience are made by western gamers nothing less. But I agree that is up to square to build that audience...

FATALITY

Banned
In uk good deals is only for xbox:(
I'm just getting pissed. I just need two buy to games. Titanfall and bf1 but bf1 is expensive that hurts.

wildfire

Banned
Squeenix itself quoted a ridiculously lofty sales number just to break even on FFXV. Every sale matters, regardless of platform. And the fact this game is being positioned as the Great White Hope to reinvigorate Western interest in the genre adds a lot of pressure to succeed. If FFXV flops, there's a very real chance the series will go in a totally different direction, and we could be playing FFXVI as a mobile exclusive.

And MS did attempt to court weebs on 360, but the general lack of interest put the kibosh on that plan, especially considering the 360's flagship exclusive JRPGs -- Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey -- did not do well at all.

This the part that baffles me. I get why those flopped in Japan. There were cultural factors that undermined their efforts. The Japanese back then looked at the Xbox 360 in the same way everyone looks at the Wii U now but why didn't those solid exclusive games sell with Xbox gamers in Europe and US?

Why was there such a lack of interest in countries that had no problem consuming Square Enix games back then?

Not so true. It's like those remakes/remasters sold millions, isn't it?

Xbox One audience are made by western gamers nothing less. But I agree that is up to square to build that audience...

No it isn't. If Microsoft wants those games on their system, it's up to them to build that audience. Square Enix have no responsibility over it or even to release their games on it.

Patrick S.

Banned
Final Fantasy is strongly associated with Sony brand. IIRC, didn't FF13 have crappy sales on Xbox360 compared to PS3? I think its much more magnified this time especially considering how far PS4 is ahead in sales.

FF XIII on the PS3 was simply the better version. Instead of coming on several DVDs it came on one Blu Ray, had much higher quality cutscenes, and overall higher image and sound quality. The closer association with the PlayStation was the there too, of course.

Arzehn

Microsoft should have bought Mistwalker (and feelplus) and had at least 1 major Japanese studio even if they aren't exactly turning profits for each game. FF/Tales games sold decently on 360s because there were JRPGs fans on the system because it had Japanese games. MS hasn't made any case for owning a XB1 if you like Japanese games even a little. The fans of those games moved (back) to Playstation.

Now they're trapped in a cycle where they aren't getting Japanese games and the few multiplats they get sell poorly on their platform.

Red Warrior

Neo Member
Microsoft should have bought Mistwalker (and feelplus) and had at least 1 major Japanese studio even if they aren't exactly turning profits for each game. FF/Tales games sold decently on 360s because there were JRPGs fans on the system because it had Japanese games. MS hasn't made any case for owning a XB1 if you like Japanese games even a little. The fans of those games moved (back) to Playstation.

Now they're trapped in a cycle where they aren't getting Japanese games and the few multiplats they get sell poorly on their platform.

They know their audience. Skyrim, DA Inquisition, and Witcher 3 all had heavy promotion on the Xbox brand. Xbox gamers gravitate towards WRPGs, so they play to their strengths. If BD and LO didn't sell on 360, that probably was a sign. But they did recently make both Mistwalker games back compatible...

feelplus was owned by AQ Interactive, who merged with Marvelous and then got absorbed. No idea what happened to the devs at Cavia and feelplus.

dezzy8

I'm not gonna day one this game. Half price before it even releases? I give t a month and this shit'll be 30 or less on PS4.

e-gamer

No it isn't. If Microsoft wants those games on their system, it's up to them to build that audience. Square Enix have no responsibility over it or even to release their games on it.

Microsoft tried with Mistwaker and that didn't work for them. Even with the creator of Final Fantasy envolved.

To be honest I think that the little audience that cares about that remakes/remasters are on PS4 already. In xbox base Square is trying to build the same. And they will do that sometimes in a way different that some people wish.

Microsoft tried with Mistwaker and that didn't work for them. Even with the creator of Final Fantasy envolved.

To be honest I think that the little audience that cares about that remakes/remasters are on PS4 already. In xbox base Square is trying to build the same. And they will do that sometimes in a way different that some people wish.

Of course it didn't work out for them, why would it? Attracting a different audience was never going to happen overnight. But even then, it's not hard to look back and realise they were doing a shitload better with JRPG fans back then than they are right now. And that's because they stopped giving a shit about that audience (presumably because they thought Japan wasn't worth the effort and that, since they had FFXIII, they'd "won" that battle), Japanese devs started leaning more and more towards PS and that audience fled back to PS3/PS4.

Red Warrior

Neo Member
Of course it didn't work out for them, why would it? Attracting a different audience was never going to happen overnight. But even then, it's not hard to look back and realise they were doing a shitload better with JRPG fans back then than they are right now. And that's because they stopped giving a shit about that audience (presumably because they thought Japan wasn't worth the effort and that, since they had FFXIII, they'd "won" that battle), Japanese devs started leaning more and more towards PS and that audience fled back to PS3/PS4.

For me, anyway, I've grown out of JRPGs in recent years. Call it a side effect of getting older, but they just don't do a lot for me any more.

I'm actually hoping FFXV will be the game that finally makes me learn to stop worrying and love the JRPG, and honestly, almost none of the PS4 JRPGs have made me want to play them either (Star Ocean 5, anyone?). For $30, I'll bite.

W.S.

It's not just a one sided affair, it would be mutually beneficial for both to work together for SE to be able to sell the game on more platforms and Microsoft be able to widen their user base through selling these types of games.

Its 49.99 on Newegg for the PS4 Day One edition when you put it in the cart. Im trying to figure if that's a good deal or wait til Christmas time.

Socivol

Its 49.99 on Newegg for the PS4 Day One edition when you put it in the cart. Im trying to figure if that's a good deal or wait til Christmas time.
It'd $47 on Amazon with the prime discount. If you get the game at $30 it's a steal. I have been playing it the last couple days and it's actually really fun.

Requiem

Does NewEgg do release day delivery?

I really want this on PS4 so I'm thinking of trading this in to GS and buying the PS4 one with the credit

Top Bottom