• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newsweek: Trump White House Senior Staff have private RNC email accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newsweek said:
Senior Trump administration staffers including Kellyanne Conway, Jared Kushner, Sean Spicer and Steve Bannon have active accounts on a Republican National Committee email system, Newsweek has learned.

The system (rnchq.org) is the same one the Bush administration was accused of using to evade transparency rules after claiming to have “lost” 22 million emails.

Making use of separate political email accounts at the White House is not illegal. In fact, they serve a purpose by allowing staff to divide political conversations (say, arranging for the president to support a congressional re-election campaign) from actual White House work. Commingling politics and state business violates the Hatch Act, which restricts many executive branch employees from engaging in political activity on government time.

But after then-candidate Donald Trump and the Republicans repeatedly called for “locking up” Hillary Clinton for handling government work with a private server while secretary of state, the new White House staff risks repeating the same mistake that dogged the Democrat’s presidential campaign. They also face a security challenge: The RNC email system, according to U.S. intelligence, was hacked during the 2016 race. “They better be careful after making such a huge ruckus over the private email over at the State Department,” says former Bush administration lawyer Richard Painter.

It’s not clear whether or how Trump staffers are using the RNC email addresses. If they are using them, they are subject to the “Disclosure Requirement For Official Business Conducted Using Electronic Messaging Accounts," a law, 44 U.S.C. 2209, that went into effect in 2014. If White House staffers have already used the RNC emails system for White House work, they must copy or forward those communications into the government system within 20 days.

The Disclosure Requirement was passed to prevent presidents from shielding communications that fall under the Presidential Records Act of 1978. The last time White House staffers used the same RNC email system, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) described it as an attempt to circumvent transparency. CREW Director Melanie Sloan charged in 2007 that the Bush White House was using the RNC email system because “they don’t want anyone ever to be able to come back and see what was going on behind the scenes.”

Besides the unfortunate P.R. optics of Trump using a nonofficial email server in his White House after a campaign built on attacking a similar practice, there are other, more serious problems. First, obviously, is cybersecurity. Russian hackers didn’t harvest as much material from the RNC system as from the Democrats’, but the system was still hackable. Second is transparency. Trump and other Republicans throughout the 2016 campaign voiced concerns about the transparency of Clinton’s use of a “home-brew” personal email server in her basement. FBI Director James Comey called her email practices “extremely reckless,” and the investigation and lingering taint of suspicion arguably cost her the election.

The chief effect of using the RNC server in the Bush years was to leave investigators who wanted to know more about the origins of the Iraq War in the dark—for years. It remains impossible to determine whether Bush staffers ever sent classified material over the RNC system.

Source

RQq4ex2.jpg

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I don't think I want to hear any of this anymore. Just wake me up when we're a Chinese territory or something.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yesterday I received a mail from someone senior in the department of health and social services. She had mistyped an address intended for someone connected to her role. It came to me by accident.

He had a Gmail account.

She? She had an AOL address.

Ithil

Just like all the embassy attacks during Bush's terms that were ignored, but Benjamin Ghazi was all they would pretend to care about for years.

I'm tired of reading just how much the GOP is fucking up, in many ways just as democrats did or worse, but nothing happens? Why? Is the Democratic Party really that useless? Why aren't they attacking the GOP for the use of private email servers now? Why could they be relentless with Hillary but no one touches the GOP when they're the one doing it???

What am I missing?

Caja 117

I'm tired of reading just how much the GOP is fucking up, in many ways just as democrats did or worse, but nothing happens? Why? Is the Democratic Party really that useless? Why aren't they attacking the GOP for the use of private email servers now? Why could they be relentless with Hillary but no one touches the GOP when they're the one doing it???

What am I missing?

A Congress that is a majority Republican.

LMAO, whoever wins the Democratic nomination for 2020 has a truckload of ammo already, they just need the right person to wield it. Warren would be great if she wasn't so old already.

Why am I still surprised by this bullshit? And the idiots who put these people in power will just justify this as "smart" or "necessary".

Fuck.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Fuck it, I'm out.

Call the Windsors and just ask if they want this shithole back or not.

KDR_11k

Obviously republicans use private email servers, Clinton did it on advice from Colin Powell who was doing the same thing..

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
LMAO, whoever wins the Democratic nomination for 2020 has a truckload of ammo already, they just need the right person to wield it. Warren would be great if she wasn't so old already.

Need someone young and not close to Clinton. Trump will say she is exactly like Clinton we all remember who beat her.

Will this be brought up during the next Press Conference? Of course only after pro-Trump question-aksers get to voice their concern on how we will increase the Caucasian race.

Dierce

What am I missing?

Us liberals are the good guys, we are the pacifists and the true scholars of the art of forgiveness. But how long will it last... How long until we are the ones playing dirty and not giving a damn about those rural idiots who brought this hell upon us all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Voters did.

I mean, I doubt many people actually cared about the use of private email servers. Only people who were predisposed to hating Hillary (and probably successful women in general) used that as the thing to latch onto as a justification for rallying against her.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

This man was recorded saying he likes to sexually assault women because of his status as a celebrity and enough people voted for him. He called an entire religion an enemy. He called Mexicans Rapists and Murderers. He talked about needing to take back our country. He took out op-eds against the Central Park 5. He said he wouldn't accept the results of the election. He said he would lock up his political opponent. He said he would use nukes. He said he was for nuclear proliferation. He was ok with Russia bombing civilians in Aleppo. He said China made up global warming. He argued on stage to bring back stop and frisk.

The racism, homophobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia, transphobia, sexism, misogyny and general unfitness for office are a feature for his voters, not a defect.

The entire Bush admin had a private server at the RNC. This is not new. They were just looking for anything to label Hillary with as "untrustworthy" which was a thinly veiled dog whistle for "HAS A VAGINA" to their baskets of deplorables.

I mean, I doubt many people actually cared about the use of private email servers. Only people who were predisposed to hating Hillary (and probably successful women in general) used that as the thing to latch onto as a justification for rallying against her.

People thought it meant she was a liar and couldn't be trusted.

I am well aware of the irony.

This man was recorded saying he likes to sexually assault women because of his status as a celebrity and enough people voted for him.

The racism, homophobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia, transphobia, sexism, misogyny and general unfitness for office are a feature for his voters, not a defect.

The entire Bush admin had a private server at the RNC. This is not new. They were just looking for anything to label Hillary with as "untrustworthy" which was a thinly veiled dog whistle for "HAS A VAGINA" to their baskets of deplorables.
Not only did they have a private server, they deleted 22 million emails at the end of the administration so people couldn't look at them. Everything they blamed on Hillary and worse

Hopefully, anything that they say that's evil will get hacked & be exposed for the public to see just like Edward Snowden did in terms of our government breaching privacy on both the internet & smartphones.

ElRenoRaven

But but but have you heard about Hillary Clinton's private email server? Something something prison something something lock her up.

Guy.brush

We need some sort of homeland security terror alert level style gif everytime "Freudian Projected DoubleSpeak Hypocrisy" strikes again.

text-orwell-doublespeak.gif

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

What am I missing?

Conservatives politicize everything and beat points in to the ground. Benghazi was literally murder. Hillary's emails brought down the country. Obamacare is killing everybody. The previous administration started an insanely expensive war that killed thousands upon thousands of people but, when they were in charge, it was uncouth to speak I'll of our leadership in wartime. Democrats abide. When a Democrat is in charge, every time anything happens anywhere it's pretty much grounds for impeachment.

Republicans paint their political opponents as some sort of foreign invading force hellbent on destroying America and having gay buttsex with your children. People buy it. Some of my clients at work last week were talking about Trump and one said that "after Obama, it's nice to get a Christian man with some actual morals in The White House." That's batshit insane, right? People are brainwashed towards conservatism and they're being played consistently through their media bubbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom