• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way this could go is only one way; even if HZ1 pc was to be a remaster job, with the latest engine, effects ultra everything. Sony would not allow their own game on another platform compete with themselves during a new gen launch - so that would not happen. They need PS5 to look as mighty as possible and unless they’ve completely forgotten the value of platform exclusives, which is pretty unlikely.
So you saying Sony would gimp the game for PC so there's looks better? Not very nice if true.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
1:37

gB7K5KW.png

I don't understand why they'd bother making someone "play" this 1.5 second section with the camera way zoomed off to the side?

1:42

Y0A3Gvc.png

Sure, maybe? But after about a second it's clearly not gameplay.. as the way the camera moves is cinematic when the dino-robot shows up.. then it zooms away towards the robot. Again not sure why they'd bother to "play" so breifly and then cut into what is clearly a cinematic presentation..

8ITBs8d.png

Another of the same for me.. why "play" this with an obviously cinematic camera?

ZeURM7e.png

And again.. same question... why play this? lol

Why not just show.. actual gameplay if the intention was to show gameplay? And not "HUD off and camera nowhere near where it would be during real gameplay?"

It seemed obvious to me the intention was to show a cinematic trailer. With the "Running on PS5" to give an indication that it was real time in engine.

None of what I'm saying about it not being gameplay even has to do with the fidelity.. it just obviously was scripted content.

Do I think the fidelity will match that cinematic content? I honestly have no clue..I hope it matches or exceeds it. But I don't make final judgements on obvious cinematics presented way before a game is out.

I continue to be impressed either way that it was apparently in-engine real time.

Personally, I absolutely expect gameplay footage to have a similar fidelity to these shots, when we get to see it. In the same way that cutscenes in HZD retained the same fidelity as the gameplay. I see no reason why things should be any different with the sequel. They’re not going to spend time and resources putting together an unrepresentative cutscene not running in a Ps5, not when the console is clearly powerful enough to render high quality assets in real-time.

gB7K5KW.png

I don't understand why they'd bother making someone "play" this 1.5 second section with the camera way zoomed off to the side?

Y0A3Gvc.png

Sure, maybe? But after about a second it's clearly not gameplay.. as the way the camera moves is cinematic when the dino-robot shows up.. then it zooms away towards the robot. Again not sure why they'd bother to "play" so breifly and then cut into what is clearly a cinematic presentation..

8ITBs8d.png

Another of the same for me.. why "play" this with an obviously cinematic camera?

ZeURM7e.png

Why not just show.. actual gameplay if the intention was to show gameplay? And not "HUD off and camera nowhere near where it would be during real gameplay?"

It seemed obvious to me the intention was to show a cinematic trailer. With the "Running on PS5" to give an indication that it was real time in engine.

None of what I'm saying about it not being gameplay even has to do with the fidelity.. it just obviously was scripted content.

Do I think the fidelity will match that cinematic content? I honestly have no clue..I hope it matches or exceeds it. But I don't make final judgements on obvious cinematics presented way before a game is out.

I continue to be impressed either way that it was apparently in-engine real time.

I think I answered your main question, the trailer is made to "feel" cinematic. The animations are just that great, and these snippets you cut out (btw how dare you not capture at least 1080p res? lol) are deliberately short to blend in with the other cinematic bits. The last thing you want to convey on an artistic trailer is to cause the viewer to notice obvious differences between what's pre-rendered and the chaos of real gameplay.

Remember the art director is able to freely control the camera and aim it exactly where he/she wants. Does not mean the sections are not real gameplay.

I'm 100% convinced we will have a different fully gameplay presentation, like we did for LoU2 and GoT last month. But that won't be such an edited trailer :)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Personally, I absolutely expect gameplay footage to have a similar fidelity to these shots, when we get to see it. In the same way that cutscenes in HZD retained the same fidelity as the gameplay. I see no reason why things should be any different with the sequel. They’re not going to spend time and resources putting together an unrepresentative cutscene not running in a Ps5, not when the console is clearly powerful enough to render high quality assets in real-time.
And I'll re-iterate: my comments on it not being gameplay have nothing to do with fidelity or my belief in what the final fidelity will be.

They have to do with.. it not being gameplay lol

I feel like the only GAF-er who actually cares about how games.. play. Not for their graphics (although that's nice too), but for the gameplay.

VFXVeteran

Banned
no. you said you spoke to the guy the same day. your post saying its on pc and not running on any AMD board was the day after the reveal. why would you make an assumption after you have already got first hand confirmation?

I got info from two sources. Conflicting. One guy produced and the other knew someone at NT. Same thing happened with the 2 SKUs for the PS5. It happens.

sircaw

Banned
If I were you I would not get my hopes up for Bloodborne 2. Every signal coming from From Sofware to me screams "troubles in the studio".

Elden Ring has supposedly been in development for 3 and a half years, and they still had nothing to show for it. It's a long time, but it's particularly long for From's standard (Bloodborne took less than 3 years from very early concepts to release, and less than 2 before they had a game running to show during the announcement). It originally had a 2020 release date for PS4 and Xbox One, which is clearly being pushed forward. They are trying to innovate with this game, big time, and more often than not with From Software even small structural changes to their base formula end in a design and technical mess they are forced to completely walk back from before release.

To top it all off, a couple days ago they announced out of the blue a new patch with some minor additional content coming for Sekiro later this year, which (arriving more than a year and a half after release, but being way too litle to have been in development for a long time) really says "we have a huge unplanned hole in our release schedule, put something together quickly and toss it out the door".

Point is, even the remote chance Sony asked for Bloodborne 2 and From accepted, don't expect a release before mid-late 2022 at the absolute least.

Next, your going to tell me Santa Claus is not real ffs. "lollipop_disappointed:

I WILL BELIEVE.

gB7K5KW.png

Y0A3Gvc.png

8ITBs8d.png

ZeURM7e.png

The intention was not to show deliberate gameplay of course.. just a tease.. as we are talking GG and everybody knows they will deliver.. and really can’t wait to see more..

The only ones “concerned” are Xbox fans taking some joy spreading FUD while they can.. as they don’t have anything from Xbox to look for..

However the moment of true draws near everyday and the ps5 hammer will be coming in hot this Holliday season..

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
And I'll re-iterate: my comments on it not being gameplay have nothing to do with fidelity or my belief in what the final fidelity will be.

They have to do with.. it not being gameplay lol

I feel like the only GAF-er who actually cares about how games.. play. Not for their graphics (although that's nice too), but for the gameplay.

Eh, I think the eventual gameplay footage will look just as good, because that’s what happened in game one. And game one played brilliantly, so I expect no changes there, either.

...I just hope they improve on some of the characterisation and stilted acting.

VFXVeteran

Banned
yes, i played the game from start to finish. just watch any clip and you will see.

here is one random one:

clearly, you dont play PS4 exclusives and just talk out of your ass every time.

Can you clearly not see the lighting differences between the cinematic and the realtime gameplay? Really?? Look at the skin and all the self-shadowing and the hair shading on the boy. It's so obvious.

How does the cinematics being seamless do with the rendering quality being taken down a notch starting at frame X? I don't understand the correlation.
Can you clearly not see the lighting differences between the cinematic and the realtime gameplay? Really?? Look at the skin and all the self-shadowing and the hair shading on the boy. It's so obvious.

Here we go yet again with moving goal posts

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
what are you talking about? we are talking about seemless transitions, you said there werent any in GoW, and now you are moving goalposts?

dude, this is why people hate you. Just admit you were wrong and be a man about it. this is not a good look.

My claim:

Cinematics are rendered at high quality than gameplay. Period. Never has ever been any different. I don't care about the smooth transition or the whether it's a sharp transition. The cinematics are rendered at a higher fidelity than the gameplay.

GoW cinematics to gameplay wasn't seamless transition.

This was your claim

Now drop your ridiculous large ego and for once in your life show some humility

Last edited:

Brudda26

what are you talking about? we are talking about seemless transitions, you said there werent any in GoW, and now you are moving goalposts?

dude, this is why people hate you. Just admit you were wrong and be a man about it. this is not a good look.
I wouldnt continue with him man he just moves goalposts and tries to change context when either proven wrong or pointed out that he said something different to what he is claiming. I've been watching this thread all day and not getting involved.

JonnyMP3

Orgy ORGY ORGY, I'm in the middle :messenger_grimmacing_
No. No. Nope! Sorry.
You understand that this is the PlayStation Hype Express Tempest SSD train, don't you sir?
There shall be no MULTIPLAYER shenanigans in 1st class.
1st class is reserved for the PREMIUM SINGLE player user end experience 'Exclusivity'

If you want to experience a multiplayer Orgy sir then the Activision compartments are about 10 carriages further back.

sircaw

Banned
No. No. Nope! Sorry.
You understand that this is the PlayStation Hype Express Tempest SSD train, don't you sir?
There shall be no MULTIPLAYER shenanigans in 1st class.
1st class is reserved for the PREMIUM SINGLE player user end experience 'Exclusivity'

If you want to experience a multiplayer Orgy sir then the Activision compartments are about 10 carriages further back.

Chuck me in the back with a couple of Pussies(CATS fs CATS) let me work my magic. :messenger_beaming:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
VFX Veteran, RE: God of War, can you please provide some zoomed in images or images that show the difference with some .. areas of the image pointed to which demonstrate your point? If it's obvious to you because you know what to look for, it might be good to show the rest of us that can not see the clear difference.

My request isn't to prove anyone wrong or right. It's to ask for your assistance.

Read my above post.

My claim:

Cinematics are rendered at higher quality than gameplay. Period. Never has ever been any different. I don't care about the smooth transition or the whether it's a sharp transition. The cinematics are rendered at a higher fidelity than the gameplay.

You said:

GoW cinematics to gameplay wasn't seamless transition

I can understand your need to argue semantics when discussing tech, which is important, but why come into a thread to derail and argue in bad faith?

You can debate an imperceptible change in lighting or use of DoF, but this is as seamless of a transition as it gets.

OT: I hope more games take an approach like this next gen. I made a comment about it the other day about how distracting the transitions were in Days Gone.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It was obvious VFXVeteran VFXVeteran was talking about the graphical fidelity and was confused when you guys brought up GoW’s one shot style.

Why is that even relevant to this conversation if you didn’t intend to claim that GoW has the same graphics during cinematic and gameplay Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping ?

Its irrelevant how they transition in this conversation other than graphical fidelity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom