• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL-01

This👆 I know what 4K looks like, be it native 4K or AI reconstruction. I can sense 1800p from native 4K as well. DF lied twice, Halo was 1440p, and Demon's Souls is 4K (whether that's native or the new AI image reconstruction, which if so it's insanely impressive).

Bo, them stating that its "native" 1440p is not them denying that its reconstructed 4K, its just implied at this point considering 4K reconstruction is already part of most TAA processes. They've said the same about Spiderman 2018 (native dynamic 1440, reconstructed to 4K), and is similar to how people refer to the UE5 demo as rendering at 1440p even though its upscaled 4K with TAAU.
And even though the reconstruction on DS is very good (helped a lot by the double sample rate of 60fps) there can still be artifacts that can be used to calculate the internal res.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo, them stating that its "native" 1440p is not them denying that its reconstructed 4K, its just implied at this point considering 4K reconstruction is already part of most TAA processes. They've said the same about Spiderman 2018 (native dynamic 1440, reconstructed to 4K), and is similar to how people refer to the UE5 demo as rendering at 1440p even though its upscaled 4K with TAAU.
And even though the reconstruction on DS is very good (helped a lot by the double sample rate of 60fps) there can still be artifacts that can be used to calculate the internal res.

And where are those artifacts? And is it safe to call Halo 720p or worse on XSX according to these?

HaloVRS2.jpg

HaloVRS.jpg

By the way, many games have less than 4K assets on PC, and claimed as "native" 4K. I would love the same nitpicking done everywhere else. And no, it's 4K, reconstructed or not you won't notice it, because it's not the old checkerboarding method. Would the resolution drop? No one knows, and if someone claims so, SHOW US THE FUCKING EVIDENCE!

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Gears 5:

Haven:

Dirt 5 (Xbox Series S):

The Medium (not sure if this is XSX or PC):

I do agree that they could've shown more, but not sure what you expect from a console with no real system seller available on launch. 3rd party games will run on it, and will look better than the other consoles. The fact that for example Ubisoft says that Valhalla runs at 4k60fps on the XSX is enough to know it will work. Since most media outlets already have received their XSX, should also tell you that they have nothing to hide.

lmao.
Gears 5 is a good looking current-gen game and the other 3 literally look like trash compared to what the competition has shown.
This is me seeing Medium gameplay for the first time and thinking to myself really? After all the hype and "power of Seriex is needed for this one mate" we get that?
Jeez.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
lmao.
Gears 5 is a good looking current-gen game and the other 3 literally look like trash compared to what the competition has shown.
This is me seeing Medium gameplay for the first time and thinking to myself really? After all the hype and "power of Seriex is needed for this one mate" we get that?
Jeez.
You asked for gameplay, here is gameplay. The XSX is still more powerful than the PS5, which will be clear once the 3rd party games roll out.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It begins...

You see when you give credit to these clowns? This shit happens. No one is bothered to question this BS.

Zoro7

Banned
You asked for gameplay, here is gameplay. The XSX is still more powerful than the PS5, which will be clear once the 3rd party games roll out.
On paper this is true. But we have heard it’s easier to develop on PS5. Which could be the reason for a lack of gameplay on Series X. I don’t think it will be “clear”. But we shall wait and see.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

If you ask me - I am really happy that DeS is 1440p and here is why:

First and most important - it shows that Sony know that 4k is just a buzzword and they don't chase this artificial "goal" at all cost. They are marketing PS5 as 4k device but they are not afraid to show 1440p games which I think is very good sign for future. We all saw what native 4k60fps at all cost game looks like. It looks like remastered current-gens. For now even ultra-pumped up PC can baerly do 4k60FPS in current games so I did not expect 4k/60FPS at all from new consoles but with all those marketing buzzwords I was afraid that Sony and MS will chase that goal no matter the price hence the game will end up looking like upresed/remastered games from current gen.

Second - holy fuck, if 1440p looks so clean now then I am all in. I was certain that it is 4k after watching on my TV. I got 1440p monitor and tbh DeS 1440p looks sharper but that might just be textures. Or more porbably - some kind of rendering/upscaling techniqe.

Anyway - my point is - we need a sweetspot between resolution and graphic fidelity and Sony knows about it very well. No point going 4k if games gonna look like upscaled current gen.

DrDamn

Don't think it is XSX. It's not an official video but a re-badged one on a different channel.

I do agree that they could've shown more, but not sure what you expect from a console with no real system seller available on launch. 3rd party games will run on it, and will look better than the other consoles. The fact that for example Ubisoft says that Valhalla runs at 4k60fps on the XSX is enough to know it will work. Since most media outlets already have received their XSX, should also tell you that they have nothing to hide.

So why aren't they showing it? Why is it effectively hidden? Pre-orders have gone live, we are 6 weeks away from launch and nothing of substance has been shown to back up those two points. That's just a little bit concerning isn't it? I have both a PS5 and XSX pre-ordered, I expect XSX third party games to perform/look better eventually - but MS haven't shown that at all yet. Why not?

It begins...
When I see stuff like this I always ask myself, if the "journalists" writing such articles really have no idea how hardware works, or if they just write whatever they think triggers people the most to get clicks.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think it is XSX. It's not an official video but a re-badged one on a different channel.

So why aren't they showing it? Why is it effectively hidden? Pre-orders have gone live, we are 6 weeks away from launch and nothing of substance has been shown to back up those two points. That's just a little bit concerning isn't it? I have both a PS5 and XSX pre-ordered, I expect XSX third party games to perform/look better eventually - but MS haven't shown that at all yet. Why not?
Is it concerning? I have no concerns about this. I only see Sony fans having concerns about this. Why give so many media outlets your XSX if the results will be shit? If they really have something to hide, they could've done this in the beginning of November. If the system wouldn't be ready, they wouldn't share it with people.

This is all part of some marketing strategy probably.

When I see stuff like this I always ask myself, if the "journalists" writing such articles really have no idea how hardware works, or if they just write whatever they think triggers people the most to get clicks.

I blame Microsoft for all of it. They brought this silly teraflops war to the mainstream and they are the ones who preached about how 4k60 will be standard next gen. The gen hasn't even started and The Medium is 4k30. Now we have mainstream publications expecting consoles to perform like 3080s.

8 year old kid having trouble sleeping -> gets them to play video games for an hour. That's some top quality parenting right there :D

Lots of the twitter replies seem disappointed that it's a game an 8 year old is allowed to play :pie_eyeroll:. I think they may be working on more than one game though?

What if his daughter breaks the NDA and goes public about their unannounced game :D

Last edited:

DrDamn

Is it concerning? I have no concerns about this. I only see Sony fans having concerns about this. Why give so many media outlets your XSX if the results will be shit? If they really have something to hide, they could've done this in the beginning of November. If the system wouldn't be ready, they wouldn't share it with people.

This is all part of some marketing strategy probably.

We don't know what the media outlets will be reporting on yet do we? It could just be backward compatibility tests, it could be enhanced X1 games, it could be XSX/XSS exclusives.

If keeping hold of any significant console footage from your new console until after your pre-orders have gone live and it's only 6 weeks until launch is part of a marketing strategy, then it's a shit strategy.

Aladin

Because rich people buy PS4 then get xbox as well. But poorer ones just stick with the best console out there that has the full package, PlayStation.
1 + 1 = 11. Nice attempt 😂. What you said is true, there are definitely respondents who have preferred both consoles.

Aladin

The reason that Xbox has higher income households is because more parents (Karens) are buying Xbox's. PlayStations are bought by young independent adults themselves, so their income is singular (not married usually) and they have not progressed as far in their jobs.

The stats that make sense of this and that you (probably strategically) left out are these;

bnXJgI9.png

It shows that on the Xbox side almost half intend to buy an XBox but NOT for themselves. I.E. It is a present for a child.
Interesting, but how does this refute what I said ?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
We don't know what the media outlets will be reporting on yet do we? It could just be backward compatibility tests, it could be enhanced X1 games, it could be XSX/XSS exclusives.

If keeping hold of any significant console footage from your new console until after your pre-orders have gone live and it's only 6 weeks until launch is part of a marketing strategy, then it's a shit strategy.
It will be all 3, but probably in buckets. I think in the next few weeks they will report on BC and maybe enhanced X1 games, the closer to release they'll discuss the new games and exclusived.

Pre-orders are sold out mostly everywhere. So apparently it has no effect on selling the first batch, and after this there will be enough footage because the system has launched.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Oi ewe, how is the game shaping up.

i only ever played number 3, i must admit i did like the opening of it but somewhere about 12-15 hours in i kinda lost my way and got bored.

How does this compare to that?
Three is a slog. Loved the gunplay, graphics were OK. Most, including me agree that it was the story that made playing that game worth it.

This is the game that started it all for the series and as much as I like 2, 1 is a great game. The look of the game is really good now. The story, so far, is really good too. I think at its price it is worth it. That’s me though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It begins...

This BS needs to stop:

HAL-01

And where are those artifacts? And is it safe to call Halo 720p or worse on XSX according to these?

HaloVRS2.jpg

HaloVRS.jpg

By the way, many games have less than 4K assets on PC, and claimed as "native" 4K. I would love the same nitpicking done everywhere else. And no, it's 4K, reconstructed or not you won't notice it, because it's not the old checkerboarding method. Would the resolution drop? No one knows, and if someone claims so, SHOW US THE FUCKING EVIDENCE!
No need to be confrontational,

As with most upscaling techniques, DS's reconstruction breaks down in situations with high contrast and thin subpixel detail such as hair or, in this case, foliage, where clear stairstepping artifacts can be seen.

Vbl8mLj.png

LOtDQNy.png

As for the other points, 4K "assets" (I assume you're talking about textures) have nothing to do with the frame rendering resolution. It has to do with the amount of fine detail on any given object. A 4K texture can look blurry as hell if you use it for your entire game map. A game rendering at 4K would benefit from even 8K textures provided the object is big enough, or you can get close enough to it.

As for the halo screenshot, the main buffer likely is 4K but effects such as those specular highlights seem to be rendering at quarter res. This could either be aggressive VRS or just a performance saving LOD measure. Because of the main buffer, it is technically "native" 4K even if it doesn't look good.

I agree with your general point that no matter if its native or reconstructed 4K, its not something anyone would notice during gameplay unless looking for it. I'm as excited as you about whatever new upscaling techniques PS studios has yet to reveal.

xacto

what's with the animosity towards DF right now. Their whole job is to nitpick and break down any given game's graphical strengths and limitations. If watching how the sausage is made ruins it for you why are you watching their videos

If you think "nitpicking" is their job, what else is there to say. Myself, and probably others would think their job is to have a correct, fair, and unbiased presentation.

Also, in your opinion, not watching their videos makes it all better? Your logic is amazing, ignoring a problem makes it go away; you must have a wonderful life.

Can we please stop this ludicrous zooming in to levels that nobody is going even notice in real life?

Whilst I agree for us nerds it is interesting to see how the systems work and what they are doing to produce what we see on the screen, it really doesn't matter to 99% of people and even for those of us who are interested, in reality we just aren't going to notice it most of the time!

where clear stairstepping artifacts can be seen.

"Clear".
*Zooms in to a level you aren't going to notice unless you are sat 1 inch from the screen*.
Right.

Last edited:

HAL-01

Also, in your opinion, not watching their videos makes it all better? Your logic is amazing, ignoring a problem makes it go away; you must have a wonderful life.
It really is blissful once you realize a lot of things you'd consider "problems" are stuff that wouldn't have any effect in your life whatsoever if you were to simply let them go, such as some stranger on the internet having opinions about videogames

Oh, man, I was thinking about how good the next Rockstar game will look like. They're one of the few multiplatform developers that use consoles as their baseline. They don't seem to really care that much about PC. Most of their games are released on PC months or even years after their release on consoles, hell, they never released Red Dead Redemption on PC. So imagine what they are going to come up with when they use XSX and PS5 as their baseline 🤤

MastaKiiLA

Jesus. A guy can't even post an innocent picture of his daughter playing a game, without the fanboys ripping into him and the game.
Posting pics of your daughter to a bunch of randos probably isn't good parenting to begin with. I can understand if it was a private Twitter account, or a private FB account, but it's not. Then again, this is the age of social media, and people do all kinds of dumb shit. But if I have a kid, their pics are for me and my friends, not some random strangers on the web.

Digital Foundry's weird obsession with ray tracing I find irritating. Like it's suddenly the most important aspect of a games presentation: whether it has a few realistic reflections and bounce lights in spots is the make or break of a games graphics. Lol!

Believe it or not Ampere graphics cards still have limited RT acceleration compared to how fast they need to be to make RT in AAA games a significant proportion of what we're seeing on screen. The next gen consoles are limited too of course. So RT is going to be limited to superficial effects for the AAA games they test this gen i.e not as important as they're making out.

You know what I think? Because they're having a hard time spotting resolution now (good, as zooming in 800% to count pixels is absurd if used to recommend one version over the other), which was almost 50% of their ammo for console war analysis videos this gen (the other being framerate of course), they've switched to focusing on RT as it's relatively easy to observe and analyse.

Have they ever made a vídeo of XSX not showing games and also having RT at a late moment through patch because devs are having trouble?

I'd bet a dollar If the news about RT comming as patch was on PS5, they would do It.

Gears 5:

Haven:

Dirt 5 (Xbox Series S):

An old gen game
A cartooney game
Vanhalla also runs 4k/60fps on PS5

giphy.gif

Last edited:

HAL-01

Can we please stop this ludicrous zooming in to levels that nobody is going even notice in real life?

Whilst I agree for us nerds it is interesting to see how the systems work and what they are doing to produce what we see on the screen, it really doesn't matter to 99% of people and even for those of us who are interested, in reality we just aren't going to notice it most of the time!

"Clear".
*Zooms in to a level you aren't going to notice unless you are sat 1 inch from the screen*.
Right.
I agree with you, I even said so in the post you quoted.
Bo asked for examples of artifacts that give away the game's internal res, so i provided them

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No need to be confrontational,

As with most upscaling techniques, DS's reconstruction breaks down in situations with high contrast and thin subpixel detail such as hair or, in this case, foliage, where clear stairstepping artifacts can be seen.

Vbl8mLj.png

LOtDQNy.png

As for the other points, 4K "assets" (I assume you're talking about textures) have nothing to do with the frame rendering resolution. It has to do with the amount of fine detail on any given object. A 4K texture can look blurry as hell if you use it for your entire game map. A game rendering at 4K would benefit from even 8K textures provided the object is big enough, or you can get close enough to it.

As for the halo screenshot, the main buffer likely is 4K but effects such as those specular highlights seem to be rendering at quarter res. This could either be aggressive VRS or just a performance saving LOD measure. Because of the main buffer, it is technically "native" 4K even if it doesn't look good.

I agree with your general point that no matter if its native or reconstructed 4K, its not something anyone would notice during gameplay unless looking for it. I'm as excited as you about whatever new upscaling techniques PS studios has yet to reveal.

Low res assets here and there is found on every game out there. It doesn't prove anything. It only means there are no true 4K games up to date.

Elysion

Banned
Oh, man, I was thinking about how good the next Rockstar game will look like. They're one of the few multiplatform developers that use consoles as their baseline. They don't seem to really care that much about PC. Most of their games are released on PC months or even years after their release on consoles, hell, they never released Red Dead Redemption on PC. So imagine what they are going to come up with when they use XSX and PS5 as their baseline 🤤

I wonder if GTA 6 will come next, or if they’ll release something else first. The fact that GTA 5 is coming to PS5 probably means that part 6 is still some ways off. Aren’t they rumored to have been working on a fantasy/medieval game for some time now? Maybe that will come first.

Dibils2k

If you are fine with an entire article focusing only on ONE aspect of the whole presentation (the lighting) then props to you. But I frankly find it a bit insulting to you readers when you as a journalist come up with strawman tipe of explanations for a thing that was visibly flawed and looked like a 2010 game.

DF has many special features that focus on singular things, so yes i am fine with that... especially on unreleased games. as mentioned they talked about other parts in another video, not as in depth cause again its alpha footage but that specific aspect (lighting) is something that effects many games and since Infinite is so high profile its perfect opportunity to make a video explaining the downfalls of that technique. It is only problematic because you look through blue tinted glasses

Throwing some tech-terms around and hoping they stick does not make it better or informative, its like watching Dr house and then proceeding to diagnose people just because the show is informative.

what are you even talking about here??? 1- yes it does, especially when they explain those terms! 2- everything they said is factual and proven, just cause you dont wanna hear it doesnt mean it isnt true lol

MastaKiiLA

Wipeout released on PlayStation 25 years ago tomorrow. 😉

3tG7Zwa.jpg
Just saying. 😉
Does anyone remain at XDev from the Psygnosis teams that made the original PS1 and PS2 games? I played everything through Wipeout HD, except 3 and 64. I haven't played Omega Collection. Was that any good? Looks like it scored well. A new Wipeout game would be :messenger_fire:.

Aladin

8 year old kid having trouble sleeping -> gets them to play video games for an hour. That's some top quality parenting right there :D

Lots of the twitter replies seem disappointed that it's a game an 8 year old is allowed to play :pie_eyeroll:. I think they may be working on more than one game though?

She could be playing bits and pieces of the game. Child certification is meant for retail marketing, it is not a moral badge. Parents can introduce guns gory to their kids, it is not against law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom