• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen: U.S. sales of Sony PSP will dwarf those of DS over the next 5 years

Izzy

Banned
Amused_To_Death said:

Gamespot said:
As for other platforms, Wallace believes Sony will also cut the price of the PSP--a move that will lead it to pull ahead of the DS in overall sales. "The next-generation handheld installed base should also start to represent sizable numbers in 2007, as we expect the PSP and DS installed bases to reach 15 million units and 10 million units that year, respectively."

Et tu, Gamespot? Interesting...

etiolate

Banned
SIG also points out that software revenue mix in calendar year 2005 will be Nintendo 58% / third parties 42% for DS, but Sony 24% / third parties 76% for PSP.

I've seen more people buy a PSP in a store than I've seen people come in and buy a DS. The thing is, they never know what they want for the PSP. They buy a UMD movie and "uh get that baseball game", if that I see parents buying it for kids a lot, which is weird because that thing is going to banged up to hell. The kids just want the PSP, not any game, just the PSP.

But I think that's basically how Sony works. Hype the hardware into sales, then you have a starving audience which 3rd parties can feast on. I don't really question how long Sony can convince people to buy a product based solely on woo-factor. This is the second product in a row they've done it, so it seems to obviously work.

I still don't know where these analyst articles come from and I don't really know why the first to thrid party sales are interesting. All those numbers say is that Nintendo has supported the DS with good first party games, while Sony seems more interested in putting it's movies on their handheld system rather than a good software lineup.

R0nn

Just keep 'em coming guys. The media keep on predicting things like this and everytime they get surprised by the runaway succes of the NDS. Also goes for Gamespot which was all over the PSP at first and later had to admit that they had more fun with the NDS (well most of 'em). It's almost like they WANT the PSP to win for some reason.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
OMG Nintendo is doomed. GBA is dead. PSP biggest selling console eva. They've been to the future and they've seen it. DS is dead in Japan. Nintendo going 3rd party, their software fails to sell even on PS4. Nintendo go bust. Keep hold of your GC, it will be a collectors item.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jeff-DSA said:
Making these sort of predictions or reporting on them makes one look stoopid. Besides, predicting doom for the DS has never proven to be anything but an appointment to eat crow later.

The same can be same about the PSP and UMDs. :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Nowdays, it is impossible to be taken seriously while making a 5 years prediction. Most companies don't have visibility over a quarter, the world is going too fast, there are too many variables. And their PSP predictions seem highly optimistic. Did they take into account the fact that PS3 and Revolution will be out next year? That gamers may not be able to afford a PSP and a PS3? That iRiver will launch a new all in one multimedia wonder next year? That ipod video may eat into PSP sales? That PSP won't likely have a HD and see its price decrease at the same time? etc. Again, analysts should just give up, their job have become almost worthless.

Jeff-DSA

mckmas8808 said:
The same can be same about the PSP and UMDs. :)

That's definitely true. As much as I dislike the idea of UMDs (cost, limited usability), I am really proud of what Sony has done with the format. They have earned shelfspace faster than even DVD managed to when it first came out (I remember stores dedicated tiny spaces for DVDs for quite a while).

If you take your PSP everywhere with you, I do have to admit that UMDs might be pretty cool. I still feel that they should be cheaper than DVDs though (like $9.99).

It will be interesting to see what Nintendo's long term committment will be to the DS. It's not the true GBA successor and who knows what will happen when that's announced / released.

And if Sony thinks competing with the DS is tough, the Gameboy Next ~should really put the screws to them. And that analysis doesn't seem to put any mention of the next Gameboy anywhere in there. It will obviously have a major impact on the handheld landscape and perhaps make both systems look dated, certainly before 2-3 years out, much less than 5 years.

Obviously, forecasts need to be made, but given such an unknown, they really should provide multiple forecasts like what has been done for the console arena, based on possible release dates, publisher support, and other likely variables.

This prognostication seems a bit premature and lacking in depth.

Pimpbaa

The only thing keeping the PSP back is the price. The supposed better quality of NDS games is a myth spread by nintendo fans.

bune duggy said:
so this is as good aplace as any to ask - what was the "easter" thing that keeps coming up in regards to DS sales?
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=78657&highlight=Easter
Jeff-DSA said:
Just remember this: Drinky Crow hates all things Nintendo regardless of quality or situation.

His posting habits should never confuse you ever again.
Nah, he likes many Nintendo games. He just really, really, really dislikes the hardware and software differentiation they've been doing the last few years. What he wants are major Nintendo franchises on $400 hardware that they lose $300 on, played with a Dual Shock clone.

Jeff-DSA

I've adblocked this avatar on like 4 different computers at least twice now. It would be hard to find one that would be more annoying.

bigdave4nd.gif

ethelred

marc^o^ said:
Nowdays, it is impossible to be taken seriously while making a 5 years prediction. Most companies don't have visibility over a quarter, the world is going too fast, there are too many variables. And their PSP predictions seem highly optimistic. Did they take into account the fact that PS3 and Revolution will be out next year? That gamers may not be able to afford a PSP and a PS3? That iRiver will launch a new all in one multimedia wonder next year? That ipod video may eat into PSP sales? That PSP won't likely have a HD and see its price decrease at the same time? etc. Again, analysts should just give up, their job have become almost worthless.

As long as someone, somewhere, is willing to pay them to spew bullshit like this, they'll keep doing it. Good for them -- nice work if you can get it. That doesn't mean anyone with a functional brain should fail to realize precisely what kind of absurd bullshit it is.

Pimpbaa said:
The only thing keeping the PSP back is the price. The supposed better quality of NDS games is a myth spread by nintendo fans.

The only thing keeping the PSP back is the price and the lack of compelling software. The supposed equal quality of PSP games is a myth spread by desperate Sony fans who just can't accept that more people want a rival system because of the quality of gameplay over multimedia functions.

mj1108

bune duggy said:
so this is as good aplace as any to ask - what was the "easter" thing that keeps coming up in regards to DS sales?

Easter lasted from April to the first part of January this year.

Apparently this analyst is not aware of Easter.

sonycowboy said:
It will be interesting to see what Nintendo's long term committment will be to the DS. It's not the true GBA successor and who knows what will happen when that's announced / released.
As long as it's doing healthily I don't see them rushing another system out of the door.

Pimpbaa said:
As has been asked dozens of times before, don't you think DS dropping its price will gain it the millions of people still opting for the cheaper GBA? Game quality certainly is mostly a preference thing, though if you check someplace like GameRankings, DS does have the slight edge in top titles.

jarrod

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
The only thing keeping the PSP back is the price.
PSP's price is the only thing warranting it's value at this stage. Sure the machine could be moving tons more units at $99, but it'd most likely be playing PSone level software on a screen half the size too. For a high end handheld, you can't really get around a high end pricepoint... and "high end" is central to PSP's appeal.

jarrod said:
What about the "factually incorrect" bit at the start?

They're obviously incorrect, but there aren't any "facts" out there publically. There are the GAF estimations, but I don't think any news source should include them in their articles. Until we get actual worldwide sales tracking (which is actually being pursued), all we have are the hardware manufacturers PR and cobbled together sales estimates. They give some visibility into sales, but shouldn't be considered "factual" either.

Pimpbaa

ethelred said:
The only thing keeping the PSP back is the price and the lack of compelling software. The supposed equal quality of PSP games is a myth spread by desperate Sony fans who just can't accept that more people want a rival system because of the quality of gameplay over multimedia functions.

Stop spreading the lies. It is nintendo fans that are desperate, making people think the short gimmick laden games are of better quality. Nintendo fans just can accept that Nintendo has a serious competitior for once.

ethelred said:

In fact there is good software on both sides, which can seen by the U.S. software sales, which are pretty even, and by playing both systems at length, which many here have done. The games on one system may not appeal to some, but there really pretty equal in quality software, even though they may not be compelling to DS/Nintendo hardcores. I'm neither a Nintendo nor Sony fanatic and I think there are good games on each. I'd bet that my position is in the majority on this board, although it's generally a silent majority.

jarrod said:
PSP's price is the only thing warranting it's value at this stage. Sure the machine could be moving tons more units at $99, but it'd most likely be playing PSone level software on a screen half the size too. For a high end handheld, you can't really get around a high end pricepoint... and "high end" is central to PSP's appeal.

Ok. That and the software that has some appeal to some people. Just like the DS. (only the DS has much more software appeal in Japan by a long shot.)

JoshuaJSlone said:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=78657&highlight=Easter

Nah, he likes many Nintendo games. He just really, really, really dislikes the hardware and software differentiation they've been doing the last few years. What he wants are major Nintendo franchises on $400 hardware that they lose $300 on, played with a Dual Shock clone.
cool, thanks. With it being mentioned in so many threads searching for it would be the needle in a haystack.

Izzy

Banned
sonycowboy said:
They're obviously incorrect, but there aren't any "facts" out there publically. There are the GAF estimations, but I don't think any news source should include them in their articles. Until we get actual worldwide sales tracking (which is actually being pursued), all we have are the hardware manufacturers PR and cobbled together sales estimates. They give some visibility into sales, but shouldn't be considered "factual" either.

Indeed - some of those numbers will be very interesting.

I think if 2005 should have taught anyone anything, it's that Nintendo is going to be very, very aggressive in the portable market.

GBA is still >>> DS and PSP in the US, but those sales will swing moreso towards DS in 2006, as Nintendo cuts the DS price to $99.99. And $99.99 is really a big deal, moreso than $199.99.

I think "DS SP" will be out this summer/fall, and that will probably also give them a sales surge as well.

In 2007, that's when Game Boy Next will roll-out, but like GBA, DS will continue to be supported assuming a $79.99 range price point IMO, with GB Next probably launching more in the $149.99 range (just like DS).

For Nintendo I think part of the important strategy is to be bold in the new franchises they're releasing, and they have been. Brain Training, Nintendogs ... that will continue in 2006.

Izzy

Banned
ethelred said:
As long as someone, somewhere, is willing to pay them to spew bullshit like this, they'll keep doing it. Good for them -- nice work if you can get it. That doesn't mean anyone with a functional brain should fail to realize precisely what kind of absurd bullshit it is.

Is that right? Considering that PSP SW LTD > DS SW LTD in the U.S, a lot of people must be buying a lot of horrible games - out of spite!

Pimpbaa

jarrod said:

What does the price of the unit have to do with the quality of the games? If the priced dropped, more would get it, and developers would be more willing to invest more money into it due to the larger userbase. The fact that it's selling well despite such a high price would indicate sales would go through the roof if the price were a more reasonable level.

Izzy said:
Indeed - some of those numbers will be very interesting.

BTW,

Get ready for the forum to explode on Thursday morning (late Wednesday).

Sony's announcing earnings and will give installed base updates for PS2 & PSP.

Should be good times. :lol

Ranger X

R0nn said:
Just keep 'em coming guys. The media keep on predicting things like this and everytime they get surprised by the runaway succes of the NDS. Also goes for Gamespot which was all over the PSP at first and later had to admit that they had more fun with the NDS (well most of 'em). It's almost like they WANT the PSP to win for some reason.

Actually it's not like they want stuff to happen, it's just that when you study some market and make forecasts like these, you can base you hypothesis only on factual stuff.
They can't take into accound a "what if there is price drop X at B time" or again "what if Nintendo comes up with X mega-game".

At the very fucking least, half the reasons for the success of Nintendo or Sony its always because of the strategies they adopt.

ethelred

GitarooMan said:
In fact there is good software on both sides, which can seen by the U.S. software sales, which are pretty even, and by playing both systems at length, which many here have done. The games on one system may not appeal to some, but there really pretty equal in quality software, even though they may not be compelling to DS/Nintendo hardcores. I'm neither a Nintendo nor Sony fanatic and I think there are good games on each. I'd bet that my position is in the majority on this board, although it's generally a silent majority.

Neither am I, actually -- I own both a PSP and a DS, I passed on the N64 (which I still consider to be an absolute POS) in favor of the PSX, and my PS2 games dwarf those of my GameCube. However, I've got five games for the PSP right now (despite having tried more) versus 14 for the NDS and I'm vastly more satisified with the DS games. In fact, I haven't really enjoyed any of the PSP games very much, and I look at the upcoming lineup and see only a few compelling titles. I can't say the same for the DS.

I'm not saying it's the worst library ever, just that right now, I think the DS's game quality is much, much higher. That's fluid, of course, and is open to changing throughout the year (and the year after).

Izzy

Banned
sonycowboy said:
BTW,

:lol

Dante

The sucess of the DS in Japan seems to be causing all sorts of revisionist history in other territories for Nfans.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Ok. That and the software that has some appeal to some people. Just like the DS. (only the DS has much more software appeal in Japan by a long shot.)
Software seems to have taken a backseat, like with PS2 and DS early on. Yes there's desirable games on PSP, but that pretty clearly not the main draw... it's prime appeal rests in it's high end performace/display, multumedia functions and promise that the PlayStation brand brings. Software might be a distant 4th on the list.

sonycowboy said:
They aren't "GAF estimations" though... they're NPD or MCV or Mediacreate or Famitsu or whoever. And sure they only give insight, but it's better insight than whatever sources this article used obviously. Unified worldwide sales tracking would be just as prone to the same flaws as these sources too anyway, what you're saying is basically there's really no way to get any "facts" on how many units DS or PSP have moved into consumer hands.

Pimpbaa

JoshuaJSlone said:
As has been asked dozens of times before, don't you think DS dropping its price will gain it the millions of people still opting for the cheaper GBA?

Dropping the price should increase the sales of any game machine.

Game quality certainly is mostly a preference thing, though if you check someplace like GameRankings, DS does have the slight edge in top titles.

An unwarranted edge in top titles. The fact that Mario Kart is the #1 DS game listed there makes me sick.

xaosslug

sonycowboy said:
BTW,

Lies, all LIES!

lol

ethelred

Izzy said:
Is that right? Considering that PSP SW LTD > DS SW LTD in the U.S, a lot of people must be buying a lot of horrible games - out of spite!

Well, are we shifting from a global discussion now to a regional one? I thought the whole point of this article was their fictional worldwide estimates and totals.

You guys move the goalposts too often. :)

Drinky Crow said:
I sure hope so. The DS is the worst thing to happen to gaming in quite awhile.

Not for people who like good games.

And you're a moron.

Anyway, this is bullshit, but PSP will put up a damned good fight.

Hey Izzy, would you have posted this if it said the opposite? :p

Izzy

Banned
ethelred said:
Well, are we shifting from a global discussion now to a regional one? I thought the whole point of this article was their fictional worldwide estimates and totals.

You guys move the goalposts too often. :)

The title of this thread - Next Gen: U.S. sales of Sony PSP will dwarf those of DS over the next 5 years

Dante said:
The sucess of the DS in Japan seems to be causing all sorts of revisionist history in other territories for Nfans.

DS sales have surged in both North America and Europe since the release of Nintendogs -- that's a fact.

Nintendogs was the biggest selling handheld game on 2005 worldwide by a longshot -- that's a fact. And actually the North American and Euro versions of this game are on track to outsell the Japanese version, if they haven't already.

The DS is the one that's really raised its game since August 2005 in both North America and Europe, I think some people are forgetting this.

The PSP caused most of its damage to Nintendo in North America during its launch period in spring and into summer when Nintendo didn't have many games for the DS.

The key for NOA in 2006 is getting the GBA audience to transfer over to the DS, once it gets to $99.

Because right now, GBA sells generally 2x-3x more per month than the DS or PSP in North America. Nintendo needs to swing those users over to DS.

Top Bottom