• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen: U.S. sales of Sony PSP will dwarf those of DS over the next 5 years

Pimpbaa

Grug said:
The only time I used my PSP recently was to view a Castlevania DoS soul collecting faq while I played my DS.

I kid you not.

I find the PSP utterly uncompelling right now. Homebrew is its saving grace.

The only time I used my DS recently was for a bit of town maintenance in Animal Crossing. Because it's the only damn game i own for the ds with any longevity to it. Maybe I should pick up Mario & Luigi 2.

xaosslug

I REALLY do hope PSP turns out the handheld overlords the PSOne and PS2 were. Not only because I'm over Nintendo coasting and overcharging with there low-tech "alternatives"--I would appreciate it if they would spend some money like back in the day to, you know, actually compete. But, the hilarity that would no doubt ensue... every NPD thread. :lol

Pimpbaa

Grug said:
The only time I used my PSP recently was to view a Castlevania DoS soul collecting faq while I played my DS.

I kid you not.

I find the PSP utterly uncompelling right now. Homebrew is its saving grace.

The only time I used my DS recently was for a bit of town maintenance in Animal Crossing. Because it's the only damn game i own for the ds with any longevity to it (maybe I should pick up Mario & Luigi 2). I find the DS utterly uncompelling right now.

Pimpbaa

xaosslug said:
I REALLY do hope PSP turns out the handheld overlords the PSOne and PS2 were. Not only because I'm over Nintendo coasting and overcharging with there low-tech "alternatives"--I would appreciate it if they would spend some money like back in the day to, you know, actually compete. But, the hilarity that would no doubt ensue... every NPD thread. :lol

A super powerful nintendo console with standard controllers. One can dream :(

I own 14 games for the PSP.Conversely, I sold my DS last year due to a lack of compelling game content.

Among gamers, the DS is for credulous SNES-obsessed schmucks who don't value forward-thinking hardware, or who have a fanboy axe to grind with the Playstation generation.

P90

Pimpbaa said:
A super powerful nintendo console with standard controllers. One can dream :(

What is a "standard controller"? A keyboard? A mouse? A touch screen? Because gaming controllers are not "standard".

Drinky Crow said:
I own 14 games for the PSP.Conversely, I sold my DS last year due to a lack of compelling game content.

Among gamers, the DS is for credulous SNES-obsessed schmucks who don't value forward-thinking hardware, or who have a fanboy axe to grind with the Playstation generation.

Coming from a guy who also praises the GBA library.

DS will have a much better library than the GBA when all's said and done.

I haven't bought a PSP game since launch (Ridge Racers) ... there's just nothing there worth paying a console price tag (and sorry, I don't like Grand Theft Auto).

Why do you even bother arguing? You're going to end up buying another DS anyway when New Super Mario Bros. comes out ... so save everyone the drama queen act. It's getting old.

xaosslug said:

You're "over" Nnitendo "overcharging" low-tech? Um, DS is the ONLY weak system they have ever put out, idiot. And $130 is "overcharging"? Give me a break.

You would appreciate it if they would spend smoe money to compete? Hey bright one, the DS EXISTING is due to the PSP. The reason why the DS is so awesome has a lot to do with the PSP existing. Because the PSP is great and competition for Nintendo (at least in America and Europe), it pushes Nintendo to make the DS as awesome as it is.

Anyone that "hopes" a system wins is pathetic. The PSP are DS are BOTH good. This is a fact. I think DS is a lot better, but PSP is very good too.

They will both survive (although PSP will never overtake DS in Japan). So just play the one you like and shut up.

jarrod

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
The illogical ramblings of a nintendo fan. Can't you grasp the concept that game machines sell better when they go down in price (especially in the portable market where before portables were cheaper than consoles)? The PSP can only benefit from going down in price. To say otherwise is illogical spinning.
Sure. You evidently can't grasp the concept of manufacturing costs driving pricepoints though. Sony's not Microsoft here...

sonycowboy said:
"Highest Estimate so far" :lol

There are higher estimates out there, by a good bit. That's one of the lowest estimates I've seen. Although, it's obviously got some "high confidence" in some quarters.
I haven't seen any... could you cite some for me plz?

Pimpbaa said:
You'll be bitter too when they stop or slow down producing games like castlevania or popular nintendo franchises on the DS due to them not being it's target demographic.
Thank goodness Castlevania DOS exceeded expectations which greenlit an online seiqel. :)

lachesis

Sigh. I also haven't touched my PSP for very long long time - although I've been playing my GBA non-stop these days, thanks to the Castlevania double pack. I am seriously considering getting DS, but waiting for better looking revision (if there will be any). I thought watching movies on PSP was cool - but after a while the whole encoding and all just became tiresome. Homebrew was also neat, but not just enough to fill the void in. A lot of PSP games are done better on PS2... but I guess it's just my situation. I love the design and capability, but somehow it's missing something very integral part, the part that keeps me occupied on this cool looking machine though... maybe it's the library of games that I'm interested in a handheld machine, or what not.

Sure, PSP could sell and well over DS, but it's not the hardware numbers but more importanly, the software sales # matter IMHO. While DS's 1st party line up sells quite well - but some might say that 3rd party games do not sell well... I think it speaks nothing more than Nintendo's quality and understanding of providing good hand-held games - which is one of their strength, and an utter proof that the DS buyers are actually "game buying" public, and perhaps PSP buyers are more of "cool gadget" collectors to certain degree - and other PMP machines are now towering over PSP, I'm not sure how well this PSP being PMP plus near PS2 quality games merit will last to be honest.

And.. we shall never forget that we'll probably see the true successor of GBA in a couple of years...

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
This is a real lot of DS trolling for a thread predicting PSP success. Wtf guys?

Brain training doesn't even count, it's for jaded people in japan. At least my girlfriend said so. It doesn't endanger other games at all.

Pimpbaa

soundwave05 said:
I haven't bought a PSP game since launch (Ridge Racers) ... there's just nothing there worth paying a console price tag (and sorry, I don't like Grand Theft Auto).

There are lots of earlier psp games that are cheap now, there is no excuse to be so willingly ignorant.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I haven't been paying attention, but was Pimpbaa always this much of a douchebag, or is he just being sarcastic?

Drinky Crow said:

No, DS is for people who like good games.

No compelling game content?

Mario & Luigi
Animal Crossing
Trauma Center
Viewtiful Joe
Meteos
Mario Kart
Castlevania
Advance Wars
Sonic Rush
Kirby
Metroid Pinball
etc.

Fact is if you can't admit there are quite a few great titles there you either a) just WANT to hate DS because you want PSP to do better, or b) have very close-minded taste.

Pimpbaa said:
There are lots of earlier psp games that are cheap now, there is no excuse to be so willingly ignorant.

I don't want any of the early PSP games.

I thought at least we'd be able to get sports games some what equivalent to their console counterparts ... Madden NFL sucks compared to the PS2 version, Gretzky NHL is dog shit, and NBA Live is dull. And in some cases these games cost even more than their console counterpart.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Link said:
I haven't been paying attention, but was Pimpbaa always this much of a douchebag, or is he just being sarcastic?
Maybe there's been a non public fanboy draft going on.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Pimpbaa said:
Maybe I should pick up Mario & Luigi 2.

don't bother. It's not that great.

I don't know why this stupid thread has to devolve into which system you prefer. GAF preferences have no relation to reality and no one gives a shit besides.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Both will do well, but the only way PSP will outsell DS is if it becomes the most popular handheld machine in the world - Ever. Due to hardware limittaions, thats unlikely.

DS will match or outsell GBA in the long run - PSP is irrelevant. Regardless of how well or badly the PSP sells, DS will come very close to the GBA numbers by its end of life, and probably more due to all the non-games.

If the Revolution takes off, DS will only sell more. If revolution doesn't, DS will still sell GBA-like numbers. DS is a fucking monster.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Pimpbaa said:
So it's like all Nintendo games that it's fans overhype.

well, let's just say that if you're the grand puba of the PSP we all know who katamari above pumps for tirelessly. I'm just telling you as a fan of the series that it's terribly boring after a while.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
kaizoku said:
Both will do well, but the only way PSP will outsell DS is if it becomes the most popular handheld machine in the world - Ever. Due to hardware limittaions, thats unlikely.

DS will match or outsell GBA in the long run - PSP is irrelevant. Regardless of how well or badly the PSP sells, DS will come very close to the GBA numbers by its end of life, and probably more due to all the non-games.

If the Revolution takes off, DS will only sell more. If revolution doesn't, DS will still sell GBA-like numbers. DS is a fucking monster.

What hardware limitations? And the PSP will do better with the help of the PS3 too so...

jarrod

Banned
Mario & Luigi 2's okay... I'm only a few hours in and it's already better than it's predecessor. But the Paper Mario games still kick the shit outta it.

Paper Mario > Paper Mario 2 >>> Mario & Luigi 2 > Mario & Luigi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mario RPG

PS3 IMO will hurt PSP, not help it because its going to gobble up a lot of the disposable income ... after buying a PS3, some games, several Blu-Ray movies, etc. there might not be enough in the bank account there to warrant a $200-$250 handheld with $50 games.

I'll just chime in by saying that I'm a huge DS fanboy, but the minute the PSP drops to $99, if Nintendo doesn't have a viable (more powerful, similar functions) alternative, I'll be a multi-handheld owner.

Before $99, there are lots of things Sony would have to do to get me to buy one.

comicnintendodoomed6tx8lq.jpg

I always take this kind of thing with a grain of salt. We already know Japanese 3rd party support is ramping up so their 3rd party games percentage seems a bit off, and Nintendo has really yet to use all their stables of franchises and characters on the DS. I just don't get it :\

Forgotten Ancient said:
I'll just chime in by saying that I'm a huge DS fanboy, but the minute the PSP drops to $99, if Nintendo doesn't have a viable (more powerful, similar functions) alternative, I'll be a multi-handheld owner.

Before $99, there are lots of things Sony would have to do to get me to buy one.

I think their plan has always been to release a Game Boy Next around 2007, when a PSP-level handheld or better can be sold at a reasonable price point without incurring losses.

Don't think Nintendo hasn't considered this scenario ... of course they have.

1998 - Game Boy Color
2001- Game Boy Advance
2004- Nintendo DS

That's three year intervals, 2007 ... I think you will definitely see a new addition to the Nintendo handheld library to join the DS.

soundwave05 said:
PS3 IMO will hurt PSP, not help it because its going to gobble up a lot of the disposable income ... after buying a PS3, some games, several Blu-Ray movies, etc. there might not be enough in the bank account there to warrant a $200-$250 handheld with $50 games.

I kind of doubt that. I think the PS3 will only bolster the sales of the PSP. By the time the PS3 comes out, the PSP will be more affordable and have a better library. Any connectivity that the PS3+PSP has will increase the chances of a sale of either system.

The only thing I think that the PS3 could do negatively to the PSP is bog down first party devs to a point where they have to limit handheld content to keep PS3 gamers happy. But, Sony's always made it's dominance through 3rd party software.

Connectivity doesn't sell shit IMO.

Consoles do nothing for portable sales, if anything they hurt portable sales.

After spending $600-$700 on PS3 + games + accessories + movies, a person is probably more less likely to pluck down another $200-$300 on a PSP + game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
soundwave05 said:

After spending $600-$700 on PS3 + games + accessories + movies, a person is probably more less likely to pluck down another $200-$300 on a PSP + game.

Well does the same apply to the DS and Nintendo Rev?

Jiggy

Nintendo needs to figure out how to translate the GBA fanbase into the DS fanbase, really. It's not like the GBA isn't still beating out both the DS and PSP in the US for whatever asinine reason.
Alternatively, maybe they just need to get going with releasing their next Game Boy to begin with.

DaCocoBrova said:
Is there a 'killer app' on either?
Nintendogs?

Pimpbaa said:
The only time I used my DS recently was for a bit of town maintenance in Animal Crossing. Because it's the only damn game i own for the ds with any longevity to it. Maybe I should pick up Mario & Luigi 2.
You want longevity and you're thinking of Mario and Luigi 2?
Get Advance Wars or Meteos, or wait for Tetris and (possibly) Metroid. M&L2 lasts all of 14-18 fun-yet-extraordinarily-linear hours, and afterward you'll probably never touch it again.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Drinky Crow said:
hell, Drinky I love my PSP too, but 14 games? I can't name more than 4 or 5 good psp games right now.

mckmas8808 said:
Well does the same apply to the DS and Nintendo Rev?

I think it will depend on whether or not Nintendo games could be downloaded to the DS or something. I think I read somewhere that DS demos could be downloaded from the Revolution, maybe someone else could confirm this.

soundwave05 said:
I think their plan has always been to release a Game Boy Next around 2007, when a PSP-level handheld or better can be sold at a reasonable price point without incurring losses.

Don't think Nintendo hasn't considered this scenario ... of course they have.

Oh, I'm certain Nintendo has planned for this and have something in the works. But, just as easily as Nintendo are planning for this scenario, Sony could be planning for it as well. Sony seems hell-bent on gobbling up Nintendo's handheld market at any cost. While Nintendo can put out a DS2 or GBnext in 2007, there's nothing stopping Sony from having something that'll one-up Nintendo again at or around the same time.

Sony's incurred a lot of debts, but the gaming industry is their bread and butter. They'll bleed as much as they have to to drain the life out of their competitors. It will hardly work on Microsoft, but I fear that, under the wrong circumstances, it could happen to Nintendo.

Pimpbaa

Jiggy37 said:
You want longevity and you're thinking of Mario and Luigi 2?
Get Advance Wars or Meteos, or wait for Tetris and (possibly) Metroid. M&L2 lasts all of 14-18 fun-yet-extraordinarily-linear hours, and afterward you'll probably never touch it again.

I didn't like advance wars too much on GBA. Although that could have been because I played it on the original GBA (worst handheld ever!). I have meteos and loved it (but hate it now cause it caused many scratches). Tetris and Metroid I will most likely get. Looking forward to children of mana as well.

Jiggy

soundwave05 said:

Eh, I think it'll be different with the PSP/PS3 and DS/Revolution than it was with the GC/GBA, if only because this time around it all works wirelessly. The US is lazy; they wouldn't want to go out and buy extra cables if they don't absolutely feel the need to, but if the compatibility is there already, I think they'd give it a shot.

PS3 hurts the PSP because it takes away the novelty of PSP having some what console-like graphics.

As PS3 comes and 360 hits its 2nd gen of software ... you're no longer going to be able to say that a PSP has comparable graphics to home consoles, it won't even be close.

It'll have better graphics than the DS, but it'll be twice the price.

P90

Forgotten Ancient said:
Sony's incurred a lot of debts, but the gaming industry is their bread and butter. They'll bleed as much as they have to to drain the life out of their competitors. It will hardly work on Microsoft, but I fear that, under the wrong circumstances, it could happen to Nintendo.

Shrewd teaming with Apple, Pansonic or Samsung might be necessary. A key software inc, buy may tip the scales for any handheld.

soundwave05 said:

Nintendo's GBA/GC brand of connectivity doesn't sell shit. Offering gimmick "freebies" that should already be included in the game does not make a great feature. Requring players to use a GBA to control 3d characters when standard control should've been an option doesn't make a great feature, either.

Think outside of the shit Nintendo's given us. Connectivity can be as awesome as they want it to be. Imagine transferring game downloads from your PS3 to your PSP and saving them on a memory stick. Totally possible. There are other ways of doing connectivity that I'm not thinking of, but they would only enhance the value of each product - not artificially, like Nintendo's done so far.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Nintendo's GBA/GC brand of connectivity doesn't sell shit. Offering gimmick "freebies" that should already be included in the game does not make a great feature. Requring players to use a GBA to control 3d characters when standard control should've been an option doesn't make a great feature, either.

Think outside of the shit Nintendo's given us. Connectivity can be as awesome as they want it to be. Imagine transferring game downloads from your PS3 to your PSP and saving them on a memory stick. Totally possible. There are other ways of doing connectivity that I'm not thinking of, but they would only enhance the value of each product - not artificially, like Nintendo's done so far.

I ain't buying it. After playing PS3, a lot of the luster of PSP's graphics is going to go down the toliet anyway ... Sony will be better off focusing on original software for the PSP.

The reason why connectivity doesn't work is because its a very, very, very limited feature.

And data swapping is hardly a killer feature. Who gives a crap if you can take your shitty looking PSP Gran Turismo car and put it into your PS3 version which has completely different physics, completely different AI, and completely different graphics.

Top Bottom