• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen: U.S. sales of Sony PSP will dwarf those of DS over the next 5 years

P90

soundwave05 said:
If that ever happened, Sony might as well just quit.

Apple is the one company that can make the vaunted Sony brand prestige seem uncool to consumers.

Especially with women.

Ponn

Banned
Error2k4 said:
hell, Drinky I love my PSP too, but 14 games? I can't name more than 4 or 5 good psp games right now.

Lumines, Ridge Racers, Wipeout, Untold Legends, Namco Battle museum, Xmen Legends 2, GTA Liberty City, Socom, Kingdom of Paradise, Tokobot and SSX are what I have. (I also still have Death Jr. but i'm nowhere near fanboy enough to claim it's a great game). I'm sure Drinky has Guilty Gear. You can probably rearrange that list with other games of choosing like Virtua Tennis, MGA, Exit, SF ALPHA, Maverick Hunter X, Mega Man Powered up, Legend of Heroes, Katamari and a few other imports

So if Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and the $99 price point basically swings the GBA audience towards DS (high probability) ... wouldn't PSP basically have to "dwarf" GBA-level sales in North America?

Use some real common sense.

How realistic is a situation like that anyway?

Is Sony going to sell 10 million PSPs a year in North America?

They didn't even sell 1 million PSPs in 2005 in the November + December window last Christmas combined according to NPD.

BuzzJive

5 years seems like a long time for Nintendo to wait before putting out the next Gameboy anyway. But even then - I can't imagine PSP sales "dwarfing" the DS.

On the other hand, looking at the NPD top 10 for the year and 50 cent's game selling a million copies, bad taste combined with EA (s)ports may be able to give the PSP the edge.

Pimpbaa said:
A super powerful nintendo console with standard controllers. One can dream :(

I bought mine in 2001.

Ponn01 said:
Now do a poll here over the holidays and Castlevania DoS would be at the top of lists. Compared to Nintendogs and Brain Training though the sell through was not so great. Now when companies are looking at what to do which one are they going to take more into consideration?

CV sold above and beyond expectations, and a sequel is already in the works. Fact.

MKDS, AC, M&L2, CV:DOS, and others are outpacing sales of previous entries in the series on a larger userbase. Fact.

Non games don't interfere with the creation of normal games. I'm really shocked that site full of game-lovers would be so closed-minded. Did GTA and Halo's success prevent SotC and RE4 from coming out? No. Ridiculous.

soundwave05 said:
Pretty sure. Their estimates for year end sales in North America were ridiculous ... something like 3 million ... I know for sure they didn't even come close to that.

There were over 1 million PSP's sold in the US in December alone.

conker

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
Sony's incurred a lot of debts, but the gaming industry is their bread and butter. They'll bleed as much as they have to to drain the life out of their competitors. It will hardly work on Microsoft, but I fear that, under the wrong circumstances, it could happen to Nintendo.

Doubt it.

Sony's stock holders will be pissed off enough at the billion dollar+ loss the PS3 launch will generate.
That loss will roll into 2007 when the PS3 is launched in all territories.
Sony won't be able to release a new handheld until at least late 2008 without SERIOUSLY pissing off investors, who are already generally unhappy with Sony's earnings.

Sony's game division is essentially what's keeping the company afloat.

Now, the PS3 will generate shittons of cash, but not until tie ratios go way up, and production costs go way down.

Sony DOES like to bleed now to make money later and to hurt the competition, but with MS in the race, there's no way Sony can play that game and last.

Nintendo, on the other hand, does NOT play that game - they offer affordable shit from day one and profit from day one. So far, it hasn't been enough to beat out Sony, in the console race, and they've basically kept pace with MS. But if their aggressive strategy with the DS is any indication, Nintendo may gain some ground with the Revolution - they could even own Japan.

The biggest threat to Nintendo's handheld dominance is NOT the PSP, or a new PSP. (Or a redesigned PSP being launched soon, which is a possibility ).
The biggest threat comes from Microsoft. They could easily apply their same tactics and launch a powerful handheld at a price that makes them lose tons of money. I'm certain MS is tossing ideas around as I type this. I don't htink they'll make a move, however, until the X360 launch dust settles, and the PSP/DS sales start to wane. MS needs to do a bit of planning on how they'll attract the Japanese market while still maintaining their frat boy halo fest american fans.

But basically - PSP beta out DS? I doubt it. I really doubt it. Even in the US market, I still kinda doubt it.

soundwave05 said:
So if Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and the $99 price point basically swings the GBA audience towards DS (high probability) ... wouldn't PSP basically have to "dwarf" GBA-level sales in North America?

Use some real common sense.

How realistic is a situation like that anyway?

Is Sony going to sell 10 million PSPs a year in North America?

They didn't even sell 1 million PSPs in 2005 in the November + December window last Christmas combined according to NPD

wtf?
Hopefully your tag sticks with you forever.

The PSP outsold the DS in December (both sold over 1 million). Where are you getting this shit?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Pimpbaa said:
You'll be bitter too when they stop or slow down producing games like castlevania or popular nintendo franchises on the DS due to them not being it's target demographic.

Quit being stupid. Did GTA's 30 million + sales affect Castlevania, MGS, and others? then you have nothing to worry about these nefarious "non-games".

Though, similarly, the way you feel about the "non games" affecting other games, is the same way I felt with GTA affecting other games.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Can't we all be friends?

Well no, obviously we can't. In Japan I just...I really don't see how the PSP could make a comeback. I suppose if it could secure an original and exclusive true Dragon Quest sequel it could do it, but that's about it. And it doesn't seem likely, that's not going to come to handhelds anyway and even if it did they choose the best selling system, so it'd be the DS.

In the US, I think things will end up extremely split. Nor more than 60/40 in favour of one or the other anyway. Both systems have so much going for them. The DS went through an awful period after the PSP launch and through the summer, just terrible when it came to the software they were getting out there. And given that the DS launch line up wasn't exactly brilliant, it's poor sales shouldn't have been any surprise. Since then though the big games have hit and it's started to sell again, moving back up to PSP like sales. With the upcoming big games (Pokemon, Brain Training, Mario etc), the $99 price drop and a redesign, I see no reason it would slow down again. If (big if) Nintendo can repeat their success of expanding the market as they have in Japan with those games like Brain Training, it might even speed up.

Meanwhile, the PSP will also have price drops. I suspect it'll be a long, long time before it hits that magic $99 point, but regardless, as it gets cheaper people who will completely ignore a handheld at the current price will find it far more tempting. I don't know if there any games to come that'll seriously sell the system to people who don't already have it, maybe Gran Turismo, but the better graphics and multimedia capabilities and cool factor will keep it selling well.

Europe's harder to predict. Too many countries with different likes and dislikes. It should be close though, even if someone takes the lead I can't see it being to the degree the DS is in Japan.

So like I say, in the end I'm almost certain it'll be split quite evenly, with both Sony and Nintendo extremely happy with their sales. The fanboys on the otherhand will still be in blind rages no matter what.

Whoops got that wrong.

That was still way short of estimates that Sony had predicted for the PSP.

Fuck Microsoft ... if Apple ever got into portable gaming, Sony and Nintendo both would have to buy diapers.

Moreso Sony, because Nintendo could still retain the "kids portable" segment.

conker said:
Nintendo, on the other hand, does NOT play that game - they offer affordable shit from day one and profit from day one. So far, it hasn't been enough to beat out Sony, in the console race, and they've basically kept pace with MS. But if their aggressive strategy with the DS is any indication, Nintendo may gain some ground with the Revolution - they could even own Japan.

The biggest threat to Nintendo's handheld dominance is NOT the PSP, or a new PSP. (Or a redesigned PSP being launched soon, which is a possibility ).
The biggest threat comes from Microsoft. They could easily apply their same tactics and launch a powerful handheld at a price that makes them lose tons of money. I'm certain MS is tossing ideas around as I type this. I don't htink they'll make a move, however, until the X360 launch dust settles, and the PSP/DS sales start to wane. MS needs to do a bit of planning on how they'll attract the Japanese market while still maintaining their frat boy halo fest american fans.

But basically - PSP beta out DS? I doubt it. I really doubt it. Even in the US market, I still kinda doubt it.

QFT. Well said, good sir.

Ponn

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
I bought mine in 2001.

CV sold above and beyond expectations, and a sequel is already in the works. Fact.

MKDS, AC, M&L2, CV:DOS, and others are outpacing sales of previous entries in the series on a larger userbase. Fact.

Non games don't interfere with the creation of normal games. I'm really shocked that site full of game-lovers would be so closed-minded. Did GTA and Halo's success prevent SotC and RE4 from coming out? No. Ridiculous.

Did anyone say otherwise for that? In fact I clearly said that no that didn't stop other games for being made. But the top selling games did create an influx of clones. And how were SoTC and RE4 sales compared to GTA and Halo? Seeing a market flooded with SoTC clones or GTA clones?

Ponn01 said:
Did anyone say otherwise for that? In fact I clearly said that no that didn't stop other games for being made. But the top selling games did create an influx of clones. And how were SoTC and RE4 sales compared to GTA and Halo? Seeing a market flooded with SoTC clones or GTA clones?

Your entire point was that standard games weren't selling well because of "non-games" (which are, in fact, games). But all of the mainstrem, normal games on DS are outpacing sales of their previous entries, so what you said is factually incorrect. You specifically used Castlevania as an example, even though it matched sales of AoS in only three months despite an installed base 1/3 the size (or less?). A sequel is already in the works, with no Castlevania: Non Game Spinoff announced.

The success of DS or its "non-games" (which are, in fact, games) will have NO EFFECT on mainstream, normal, "regular game" sales. It's simply a new genre of video games. And they will tend to appeal to a sort of person who will never buy a CV game anyway. Maybe Brain Training will serve as their gateway drug to the very "real games" you think the game will kill off.

On a side note, my DS has gotten play from people of all ages at family gatherings. My N64 never did that. No one wanted to try SM64. No one wanted to try FF7. No one wanted to try Sonic Adventure. No one wanted to try Metal Gear Solid 2, or Halo. A lot of people played the mini-games in SM64DS. A lot of people played Kirby.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
PSP deserves to do well, the system is tailored to perform it's service well, and there is great potential in the device.

Unfortunately Capcom is pretty much the only thing keeping the system on lifesupport for me right now. The MM remakes and GnG are keeping me from selling this thing, not much else on the horizon, though I am rooting for Syphon Filter and have a passing interest in Untold Legends 2.

I haven't felt the same adoration for this device since last April; I don't subscribe so easilly to B-grade animu RPG's as I once did, and I'm not enough of a GTA fan to pull the trigger on that investment. Lots of shovelware has been coming out since the launch window and I'm hoping for a turnaround.

Mama Smurf

I don't know if it's been mentioned, I started skimming when the topic got too long, but a game like Brain Training takes up fuck all resources. It's not like Nintendo would developer Brain Training at the expense of a Zelda or whatever.

Ninendo could hire 20 people and put out 4 or more Brain Training games a year I reckon. Not only would that not take anything away from the traditional games in development, it would probably help them as the huge profits made off the BT games would allow a company to take more risks with software they're not sure will sell.

conker said:
Doubt it.

Sony's stock holders will be pissed off enough at the billion dollar+ loss the PS3 launch will generate.
That loss will roll into 2007 when the PS3 is launched in all territories.
Sony won't be able to release a new handheld until at least late 2008 without SERIOUSLY pissing off investors, who are already generally unhappy with Sony's earnings.

Sony's game division is essentially what's keeping the company afloat.

Now, the PS3 will generate shittons of cash, but not until tie ratios go way up, and production costs go way down.

Sony DOES like to bleed now to make money later and to hurt the competition, but with MS in the race, there's no way Sony can play that game and last.

I pretty much agree with your entire post. I don't think Sony has something up their sleeves that will totally piss off their investors, but depending on how certain things go, they might do something similar a year or two after the GBnext launches. The PSP isn't going to be Sony's only handheld, and I wonder how much more powerful the GBnext will be than the PSP (if at all).

I don't think the PSP will outdo the DS in any region but Europe/Australia, but it's far from an open and shut case at this point.

Vieo

I've always felt PSP would eventually be Sony's burden if they ever had to sell it at a loss. PSP will have to get a considerable pricedrop eventually if they want it to remain competitive. Playstation 3 will be out this year and I'm damn sure they will be selling it at a loss. They'll be bleeding from two places at the same time.

jarrod

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
I don't think the PSP will outdo the DS in any region but Europe/Australia, but it's far from an open and shut case at this point.
I can't really see it anywhere besides the UK, Korea and maybe a few Asian markets. From what little we've seen DS is spanking PSP in every other PAL market though, by nearly JP levels.

The US might be close, but smart money's on DS inheriting that massive GBA base.

Mama Smurf said:
I don't know if it's been mentioned, I started skimming when the topic got too long, but a game like Brain Training takes up fuck all resources. It's not like Nintendo would developer Brain Training at the expense of a Zelda or whatever.

Ninendo could hire 20 people and put out 4 or more Brain Training games a year I reckon. Not only would that not take anything away from the traditional games in development, it would probably help them as the huge profits made off the BT games would allow a company to take more risks with software they're not sure will sell.

Another brilliant argument in defense of "non-games".

Ponn

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Your entire point was that standard games weren't selling well because of "non-games"

It was? News to me. My point was "non-games" are most of the biggest sellers on the DS and shows a leaning in that market. Just like how the PS2 wasn't really defined till GTA did gangbuster numbers then suddenly after that you had your defining game for PS2. Occasionaly I do like some of those type of games, and thankfully on the PS2 they are not the only type of games. Same with Xbox and FPS, though for me less so. Never said other games weren't selling well because of Non-games. What I did say was though that publishers looking for a game to put on the DS would be looking at that market and seeing the numbers that are being made from those non-games compared to the other games.

But all of the mainstrem, normal games on DS are outpacing sales of their counterparts, so what you said is factually incorrect. You specifically used Castlevania as an example, even though it matched sales of AoS in only three months despite an installed base 1/3 the size. A sequel is already in the works, with no Castlevania: Non Game Spinoff announced.

and that's great for Konami, but i'm talking about down the road if this trend keeps up. I don't know the future, but like I said publishers are going to be looking at the numbers and they are leaning at the moment. It also doesn't help much that Nintendo has made their mission statement of specifically going after non-gamers.

The success of DS or its "non-games" (which are, in fact, games) will have NO EFFECT on mainstream, normal, "regular game" sales. It's simply a new genre of video games. And they will tend to appeal to a sort of person who will never buy a CV game anyway. Maybe Brain Training will serve as their gateway drug to the very "real games" you think the game will kill off.

So you honestly think third parties and Nintendo will be able to split their time, money and energy into creating enough games to satisfy everyone? Interesting, especially given the track record. Good luck with that then. Like I said, thankfully I have other choices if it doesn't work out that way.

Mama Smurf

Ponn01 said:
So you honestly think third parties and Nintendo will be able to split their time, money and energy into creating enough games to satisfy everyone? Interesting, especially given the track record. Good luck with that then. Like I said, thankfully I have other choices if it doesn't work out that way.

Of course, why wouldn't they be able to? They've done it so far without a problem.

Oblivion

Ponn01 said:
It was? News to me. My point was "non-games" are most of the biggest sellers on the DS and shows a leaning in that market. Just like how the PS2 wasn't really defined till GTA did gangbuster numbers then suddenly after that you had your defining game for PS2. Occasionaly I do like some of those type of games, and thankfully on the PS2 they are not the only type of games. Same with Xbox and FPS, though for me less so. Never said other games weren't selling well because of Non-games. What I did say was though that publishers looking for a game to put on the DS would be looking at that market and seeing the numbers that are being made from those non-games compared to the other games.

I'm not following. You say that a game like GTA defined the PS2, but it was okay because despite the clones, the PS2 had a ton of other games. The exact same thing could be said about the DS, just replace GTA with the non-games.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Forgotten Ancient said:
Next Gen: U.S. sales of Sony PSP will dwarf those of DS over the next 5 years

Who said anything about Japan?

But if you actually READ the article, you see it's about worldwide sales. Unless the DS has sold 13 million units in the US. The title is one thing, the content is another. And that just adds to the joke-ness of the article

xaosslug

I <3 Katamari said:
You're "over" Nnitendo "overcharging" low-tech? Um, DS is the ONLY weak system they have ever put out, idiot. And $130 is "overcharging"? Give me a break.

You would appreciate it if they would spend smoe money to compete? Hey bright one, the DS EXISTING is due to the PSP. The reason why the DS is so awesome has a lot to do with the PSP existing. Because the PSP is great and competition for Nintendo (at least in America and Europe), it pushes Nintendo to make the DS as awesome as it is.

Anyone that "hopes" a system wins is pathetic. The PSP are DS are BOTH good. This is a fact. I think DS is a lot better, but PSP is very good too.

They will both survive (although PSP will never overtake DS in Japan). So just play the one you like and shut up.

Wow, you REALLY love the DS, I can tell, you're doing an awful job attempting to come off nonpartisan. Oh, and--jackASS much? Way to get someone to take your argument seriously.

The ENTIRE Gameboy line is low-tech, IMO, and the up and coming Rev is this gen prettily packaged for the next, so... there you go.

PM me in a few years, after GT: Mobile and FFVII: Before Crisis Core are released and PSP's got a more diverse library with all your weighty proclamations on how "PSP will never overtake DS in Japan", such statements are a wee bit premature and post-traumatic at the moment. Also, if any company's earned the benefit of the doubt, it's Sony, considering they overtook Nintendo and put Sega out of the console business to become the best selling games console EVER in only two generations. :p

Ponn01 said:

PS2, post GTA: Gran Turismo, God of War, Final Fantasy X-2, Shadow of the Colossus, a million others
XBox: post Halo: Morrowind, KOTOR, Ninja Gaiden, Fable, dozens of others.
DS, post Brain Training: ...More non-games. Period.

I like your style!

See also:

Oblivion said:
I'm not following. You say that a game like GTA defined the PS2, but it was okay because despite the clones, the PS2 had a ton of other games. The exact same thing could be said about the DS, just replace GTA with the non-games.

and that's great for Konami, but i'm talking about down the road if this trend keeps up. I don't know the future, but like I said publishers are going to be looking at the numbers and they are leaning at the moment. It also doesn't help much that Nintendo has made their mission statement of specifically going after non-gamers.

This trend? What trend? The current trend is for known properties to sell better on DS than they did on GBA at its peak.

If publishers look at non-game sales and decide to sell non-games (WHICH ARE STILL GAMES), then they can do like that other guy said and devote about 10 or 15 people to a team to create a non-game. Non-games are cheap and easy to make, and will not serve as a distraction from development of real games.

Nintendo has also made it its mission to release Kirby, Mario Kart, Mario and Luigi, Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, ETC ETC ETC ETC on DS. Games like Nintendogs ramp up hardware sales as people who aren't into games pick up DSes. Those people are going to want to play something else some day. Maybe they'll try out a real game? That means higher sales for the games you love. Maybe they'll just keep on buying "non-games"? That means more money for your favorite developers to invest in games that actually require a budget. Meanwhile, all of the normal, hardcore, current-gamers are going to keep snapping up Mario Kart, Castlevania, and Mario & Luigi at an even faster rate than they did before the advent of the "non-game."

I'm pretty sure Nintendo and other developers will be able to continue to make the games they are making right now, while still making small-budget, small-team, high-selling cash cows that will give them more money with less risk than anything they've made before.

I've got 12 DS games. One of them is a "non-game." I expect to buy many more games this year. Nintendo has not had a problem supplying both types of games at this point. Both of the "trends" you cited (decreasing sales of typical games, and the inability of developers to make games of two differen genres), ARE IMAGINARY.

xaosslug said:
PM me in a few years, after GT: Mobile and FFVII: Before Crisis Core are released and PSP's got a more diverse library with all your weighty proclamations on how "PSP will never overtake DS in Japan", such statements are a wee bit premature and post-traumatic at the moment. Also, if any company's earned the benefit of the doubt, it's Sony, considering they overtook Nintendo and put Sega out of the console business to become the best selling games console EVER in only two generations. :p

I love how everyone claims that FF3 won't move DSes because it is not a main entry in the series, but Crisis Core is sure to turn PSP into the JPN market leader.

If you seriously think Sony knocked out Sega purely on its own, you are crazy. This situation is totally different. Maybe if Game Boy Advance 32x and Game Boy Advance CD had already failed, and Nintendo was on the verge of bankruptcy, and had no support from the world's biggest developer, and had seen its sales drop like a rock as soon as Sony's competing product was released, you'd have a point.

PSP will probably stay close to even in the rest of the world, and is unlikely to overtake DS in Japan. None of that is set in stone. I don't know how you can build a case of PSP having a "more diverse library" by naming vaporware and a total unknown.

jarrod

Banned
xaosslug said:
Wow, you REALLY love the DS, I can tell, you're doing an awful job attempting to come off nonpartisan. Oh, and--jackASS much? Way to get someone to take your argument seriously.
Thankfully you seem to have spared us the former. Could work on the latter a bit though, you could get banned or something.

jarrod

Banned
The only trend I see going is PSP's perpetully decresing Japanese software sales neutering it support in the region and transforming it's worldwide library into what's essentially a handheld Xbox. Welcome to 2nd place Sony fans, just be thankful you don't have a loss huffing evil empire knocking you to third.

Sony's Xbox. If I say that into a mirror 3 times, you think I'll summon Kaching?

I think that the article is silly-- if anytinhg has been apparent in the last 15 years of gaming, it's that fortunes can change unpredictably.

That said, the anti-PSP vibe here is amazing. Suggest that it might be successful and a bunch of righteous assholes are there to tell you that it's library sucks.

xaosslug

jarrod said:
Thankfully you seem to have spared us the former. Could work on the latter a bit though, you could get banned or something.

WhAt...?

jarrod said:
The only trend I see going is PSP's perpetully decresing Japanese software sales neutering it support in the region and transforming it's worldwide library into what's essentially a handheld Xbox. Welcome to 2nd place Sony fans.

Sony's Xbox. If I say that into a mirror 3 times, you think I'll summon Kaching?

::Hopes, hopes, prays, prays to Mario::

[/jarrod]

You'll cry bitter tears of resentment if/when PSP overtakes DS, won't you? lol

Mama Smurf

I'd like to point out that while I did say games like Brain Training are quick to make and take up fuck all resources, I didn't say all "non-games" are.

Animal Crossing for example requires a large team and quite a lot of time, if we're counting it as a non-game now (not that anyone seemed to when it came out). However, if third parties think they can replicate that success then they may have a shock, the closest thing to it is Harvest Moon and that has never enjoyed sales anywhere close to AC.

I think they'd be much more likely to try and emulate the Brain Training games, the Tamagotchis and Nintendogs. Some games will probably take quite a bit off effort at first for the first game, they're going into unchartered territory in a way, but once something is out there and sells it should be easy, quick and cheap to make sequels to these sorts of things.

Oblivion

Ignatz Mouse said:
That said, the anti-PSP vibe here is amazing. Suggest that it might be successful and a bunch of righteous assholes are there to tell you that it's library sucks.

You could switch PSP with DS for the same effect. :p

Oblivion said:

Yeah, but the anti-PSP brigade >>>>>>>>>> anti-DS brigade here. I think that's pretty hard to argue, although I'm sure someone will try.

Oblivion said:

I don't really care about the DS one way or the other, so I don't notice.

But I'm happy to call the anti-PSP folk assholes. Go ahead and call the anti-DS people assholes, if they bug you.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Ignatz Mouse said:
I think that the article is silly-- if anytinhg has been apparent in the last 15 years of gaming, it's that fortunes can change unpredictably.

It's not the suggestion that it's successful, it's that the sales will dwarf that of the DS. The article takes inacurate numbers, and then tries to predict sales 5 years into the future. Which is 2 years longer than the general length of a handheld's lifespan. I just don't see the credibility.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
It's not the suggestion that it's successful, it's that the sales will dwarf that of the DS. The article takes inacurate numbers, and then tries to predict sales 5 years into the future. Which is 2 years longer than the general length of a handheld's lifespan. I just don't see the credibility.

I agree. Hence me calling it silly. Even if it had accurate numbers, it would be silly to make 5-year predictions.

Ponn

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
PS2, post GTA: Gran Turismo, God of War, Final Fantasy X-2, Shadow of the Colossus, a million others
XBox: post Halo: Morrowind, KOTOR, Ninja Gaiden, Fable, dozens of others.
DS, post Brain Training: ...More non-games. Period.

yes, awesome more words being put in my mouth, when does it stop? Yes other games are made, not once did I ever deny that so you arguing with yourself for some reason. So I guess i'm just imagining all these GTA clones, and the people that keep putting down all these GTA clones. And you would say then SoTC defined the PS2 for the majority of people, no?? You would disagree that GTA didn't define the PS2? Along with Halo for the Xbox.

No where have I said post Brain training = more non-games and nothing else. Period. Stop quoting me if you are going to just keep putting words in my mouth. I have said over and over there would be other games. The question is how many will still be published and if the sales of non-games will define the DS software like it has for PS2 or Xbox. If someone played Halo and liked FPS and was looking at a Xbox or PS2 which would you tell him to get? If a consumer is into edutainment for their child on a handheld would you suggest PSP or DS? How much more defined is that difference going to be down the road? Simple as that, I don't know for sure but it certainly is a worry I have based in trends.

This trend? What trend? The current trend is for known properties to sell better on DS than they did on GBA at its peak.

If publishers look at non-game sales and decide to sell non-games (WHICH ARE STILL GAMES), then they can do like that other guy said and devote about 10 or 15 people to a team to create a non-game. Non-games are cheap and easy to make, and will not serve as a distraction from development of real games.

Nintendo has also made it its mission to release Kirby, Mario Kart, Mario and Luigi, Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, ETC ETC ETC ETC on DS. Games like Nintendogs ramp up hardware sales as people who aren't into games pick up DSes. Those people are going to want to play something else some day. Maybe they'll try out a real game? That means higher sales for the games you love. Maybe they'll just keep on buying "non-games"? That means more money for your favorite developers to invest in games that actually require a budget. Meanwhile, all of the normal, hardcore, current-gamers are going to keep snapping up Mario Kart, Castlevania, and Mario & Luigi at an even faster rate than they did before the advent of the "non-game."

And this could very well happen too. Mind you I can't understand how people can cry for innovation or say gaming is boring yet salivate over yet another Mario, kirby, zelda, metroid or pokemon game. My worry is if Nintendo pushes the non-gamer thing even more with the revolution, and it really kicks off, then how long before publishers and developers keep supporting this model? These are all scenarios that could be played out.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo and other developers will be able to continue to make the games they are making right now, while still making small-budget, small-team, high-selling cash cows that will give them more money with less risk than anything they've made before.

I've got 12 DS games. One of them is a "non-game." I expect to buy many more games this year. Nintendo has not had a problem supplying both types of games at this point. Both of the "trends" you cited (decreasing sales of typical games, and the inability of developers to make games of two differen genres), ARE IMAGINARY.

Same as above, but again quit putting words in my mouth. I never cited decreasing sales in typical games. That's up to consumers and their fickle. I cited developers and publishers possibly shifting gears and heading towards the software that makes the most money. Ninja Gaiden didn't have a decrease in sales on Xbox, but that didn't mean it attracted as many copies or clones like Halo did. Same thing with SoTC. I also didn't see Bill Gates saying "We are going after the FPS market!" or Kenny K saying "We are going after all the wiggers and GTA lovers!" either. When the head of a company specifically says we are going after non-gamers though, which are by definition the opposite of what I am, I do get worried. I also get more worried when I see some of the top selling games on a system are non-games. You're more optimistic then me and hey, you sound like you're all for these non-games so thats great for you. I'm going to stay weary though and not be cheering for the advent of non-games.

Mrbob

Wow, this thread exploded and the article didn't even say Nintendo was doomed. In fact, the article states Nintendo will still sell a ton of DS systems. But whatever.

If you think this thread is big, wait till Thursday.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ignatz Mouse said:
I don't really care about the DS one way or the other, so I don't notice.

But I'm happy to call the anti-PSP folk assholes. Go ahead and call the anti-DS people assholes, if they bug you.
Then maybe you should just not say anything. Because all you did was make yourself look like an asshole.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
If you think this thread is big, wait till Thursday.
We handled the "first to 10 million" fluff just fine in October, I don't see much problems arising with whatever overshipped figures Phil and company deluge us with on Thursday. It'll probably be the same story, numbers are reported everywhere by the media, analysts push even more lofty PSP evaluations, numbers are discredited on GAF with helpful sales tracking leaks, and 2-3 months later less consumers will still have less PSPs in their posession that what Sony originally reported as "sold". Same thing happened last March actually, I expect the cycle to continue for PSP's lifetime.

xaosslug

jarrod said:
We handled the "first to 10 million" fluff just fine in October, I don't see much problems arising with whatever overshipped figures Phil and company deluge us with on Thursday. It'll probably be the same story, numbers are reported everywhere by the media, analysts push even more lofty PSP evaluations, numbers are discredited on GAF with helpful sales tracking leaks, and 2-3 months later less consumers will still have less PSPs in their posession that what Sony originally reported as "sold". Same thing happened last March actually, I expect the cycle to continue for PSP's lifetime.

Wow. lol

Mrbob

jarrod said:

Don't worry, you can always stick to your NoE information about Sony sales and spin it in your normal fashion.

Top Bottom