• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen: U.S. sales of Sony PSP will dwarf those of DS over the next 5 years

emerge

GitarooMan said:
Yeah, but the anti-PSP brigade >>>>>>>>>> anti-DS brigade here. I think that's pretty hard to argue, although I'm sure someone will try.

I'll do. Drinky and the challenged sidekicks that are adopting his agenda alone are enough to make your argument moot. Joke, purposeful trolling or whatever the reasoning behind some people's constant bickering about "non-games" and weak hardware is, few on this board come even close in terms of constant, unsubstantiated attacking a piece of hardware or a manufacturer.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ponn01 said:

I'm not exactly sure if there was anything different about your explanation than your previous post, but if I understand correctly, what you're saying is because Nintendo specifically said they're going after "non-gamers", it seems more threatening than an influx of GTA and Halo clones, mainly because their respective companies haven't directly said they're primarily targetting those crowds?

Damn, that was a long sentence.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
group_hug.jpg

This is how these topics should be. Everyone's winning! we'd shout. Make me a mod, I'll make it happen dammit.

Well, I'd try and it'd end up like this anyway

CN%20rubble.jpg

Either way it's an improvement.

ypo

I think the kids are getting really worried about the PSP judging by this thread. I mean with 10 million PSPs sold. That's almost 45% of the next-gen handheld market. In one year alone, Sony, a completely new comer to the handheld market can take away 45% of the market from a virtual monopoly and the number will only go up. It seems that Nintendo is very good at losing market share to new comers and the kiddies are really really afraid.

Link

The Autumn Wind
ypo said:
I think the kids are getting really worried about the PSP judging by this thread. I mean with 10 million PSPs sold. That's almost 45% of the next-gen handheld market. In one year alone, Sony, a completely new comer to the handheld market can take away 45% of the market from a virtual monopoly and the number will only go up. It seems that Nintendo is very good at losing market share to new comers and the kiddies are really really afraid.
I'm going to guess that most of those "kiddies" are older than you, actually.

Oblivion

ypo said:

:lol :lol Mature ftw!!

You do realize that this wasn't any dark horse that came in the race, right? It's fucking Sony. Almost everyone on the planet knew that it was gonna do good just based on the Playstation brand alone.

Mama Smurf

You know what really makes an argument convincing? Calling a group kids repeatedly.

You can real feel the unbiased, clear thought coming through. The rest of us could learn from ypo.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
ypo said:

I don't think Sony 'took away' 45% of Nintendo's market, the market has expanded so Nintendo hasn't really lost much. Also I think everyone should be afraid if a system with a terrible line up of games can take over the market. It might be good for Sony lover boys but it isn't good for gaming which is why we're here.

Izzy

Banned
Roders5 said:
Also I think everyone should be afraid if a system with a terrible line up of games can take over the market. It might be good for Sony lover boys but it isn't good for gaming which is why we're here.

Ah, I see...

Mama Smurf

You know what really makes an argument convincing? Admitting you're biased.

Bizzare!

p.s. is it me or has jarrod changed? Used to be the lists guy, very useful. Doesn't seem we get half as many now, and he seems...more involved and pissed off.

jarrod

Banned
Izzy said:
Ah, I see...
Are you sure? :p

Mama Smurf said:
p.s. is it me or has jarrod changed? Used to be the lists guy, very useful. Doesn't seem we get half as many now, and he seems...more involved and pissed off.
Nah, I'm actually way less involved and pissed off these days. I've got ypo on ignore though, totally helps.

ypo

Thanks for letting me know that, appreciated!!!

Wow, I didn't even respond to him and yet Nerding for Nintendo mentioned me. You don't have me on ignore. C'mon fess up!

Izzy

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
You know what really makes an argument convincing? Admitting you're biased.

Bizzare!

Man U - Blackburn tomorrow. We're playing without midfielders

Mama Smurf

If you die Izzy, can you leave me your account in your will? I can do it I swear!

"Are you sure?"

"I see"

":lol"

"It'll be very interesting when official numbers come out..."

"International football is a poo poo"

HCgamer

Sony's PSP could outsell the Nintendo DS if and when Sony decides to drop its price. Nintendo is smart though and they will drop the price on the DS and release a new Game Boy to counter this. Nintendo did not become the king of portable gaming by accident.

Pimpbaa

Roders5 said:
I don't think Sony 'took away' 45% of Nintendo's market, the market has expanded so Nintendo hasn't really lost much. Also I think everyone should be afraid if a system with a terrible line up of games can take over the market. It might be good for Sony lover boys but it isn't good for gaming which is why we're here.

This confuses me, yes everyone should be afraid if a system with a terrible line up of games can taking over the market, but why would it be good for Sony lover boys? The DS taking over the market is good for Nintendo lover boys.

jarrod

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Note the word "righteous" in my namecalling.
1.Characterized by or proceeding from accepted standards of morality or justice

2.Morally justified

See also: clean-handed, good, guiltless, innocent, just, moral, righteously, sound, upright, virtuous, worthy

Link said:
Then maybe you should just not say anything. Because all you did was make yourself look like an asshole.

Well, the usual response to said assholes is to run-down the system of their choice. Those of us who aren't interested in putting down anybody's system have to wade through the crap.

Calling somebody an asshole is a lot more honest and direct. Look how many hurt nintendo fans use Drinky as justification to become anti-psp assholes. That reaaaaally helps things.

Also note that the word "asshole" was not applied to fans of anything generally, just those who want to bag on somethign they don't like (and the fans thereof) or the competition of the thing they do like. Anybody so upset is copping to being a troll, essentially.

But hey, as long as some other asshole puts down you/your toy, feel free to put down their toy along with anybody else who likes it.

Proud?

Jim

This is just retarded... Anyone who says or thinks that the PSP has either no games, no good games, or no games coming, is living under a rock. Have you just ignored the near daily announcements of new PSP games recently?

For shits and giggles, the EB Games Upcoming Release List for both the PSP and DS (Today - Summer). I can't vouch for the accuracy of it (some seem iffy), but it's pretty obvious it has a lot of support, especially in North America.

PSP Upcoming Releases: (44 games)
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X -- 1/31/2006
World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 International -- 2/7/2006
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX PSP -- 2/7/2006
Fight Night Round 3 -- 2/14/2006
Exit -- 2/14/2006
Toca Race Driver 2 -- 2/21/2006
MX vs. ATV Unleashed: On The Edge -- 2/27/2006
Street Supremacy -- 2/28/2006
Neopets: Petpet Adventure -- 2/28/2006
Generation of Chaos -- 2/28/2006
FIFA Street 2 -- 2/28/2006
Spongebob Yellow Avenger PSP -- 2/28/2006
MLB 06: The Show -- 2/28/2006
World Poker Tour -- 3/6/2006
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K6 PSP -- 3/6/2006
YS: THE ARK OF NAPISHTIM PSP -- 3/7/2006
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent -- 3/7/2006
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror -- 3/7/2006
Untold Legends 2: Warriors Code with Bonus! -- 3/7/2006
Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai -- 3/7/2006
Pursuit Force -- 3/7/2006
Worms -- 3/13/2006
Stacked with Daniel Negreanu with Bonus! -- 3/14/2006
From Russia With Love -- 3/14/2006
Mega Man Powered Up -- 3/14/2006
Astonishia Story -- 3/14/2006
Brothers In Arms -- 3/15/2006
Field Commander -- 3/21/2006
Monster Hunter Freedom -- 3/21/2006
Bust-A-Move Deluxe -- 3/24/2006
Def Jam Fight for NY PSP -- 3/27/2006
NBA Ballers: Rebound -- 3/27/2006
Viewtiful Joe VFX Battle -- 3/28/2006
Daxter -- 3/28/2006
Metal Gear Acid 2 -- 3/28/2006
Mortal Kombat Deception PSP -- 4/1/2006
The Getaway: Gangs of London -- 4/1/2006
TOURIST TROPHY PSP -- 4/3/2006
Tomb Raider: Legend -- 4/11/2006
Guilty Gear: Judgement -- 5/1/2006
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII -- 6/1/2006
50 Cent: Bulletproof PSP -- 6/1/2006
Gran Turismo -- 6/1/2006
The Godfather -- 7/1/2006

DS Upcoming Releases: - (16 games)
Paintball 06 MAX'D -- 1/30/2006
Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop DS -- 1/31/2006
Black & White Creatures DS -- 2/1/2006
Drill Dozer -- 2/6/2006
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence -- 2/7/2006
Age of Empires: Age of Kings -- 2/14/2006
Super Monkey Ball Touch & Roll -- 2/21/2006
Super Princess Peach DS -- 2/27/2006
Guilty Gear: Dust Strikers DS -- 3/1/2006
Pokemon Trozei -- 3/6/2006
Scurge Hive -- 3/9/2006
Ice Age 2 -- 3/14/2006
Tetris -- 3/20/2006
Metroid Prime: Hunters DS -- 3/20/2006
Top Spin 2 DS -- 4/3/2006

Oblivion

Ignatz Mouse said:
Look how many hurt nintendo fans use Drinky as justification to become anti-psp assholes.

I like Drinky, actually. Gots a lot more charm than yer average anti-DS troll.

Izzy

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
If you die Izzy, can you leave me your account in your will? I can do it I swear!

"Are you sure?"

"I see"

":lol"

"It'll be very interesting when official numbers come out..."

"International football is a poo poo"

Sorry if I hit the nerve - we'll talk after the game tomorrow.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ignatz Mouse said:
Well, the usual response to said assholes is to run-down the system of their choice. Those of us who aren't interested in putting down anybody's system have to wade through the crap.
But isn't that indirectly what you're doing? People giving the PSP shit are assholes, but people giving the DS shit are fine because you don't care?

Calling somebody an asshole is a lot more honest and direct. Look how many hurt nintendo fans use Drinky as justification to become anti-psp assholes. That reaaaaally helps things.
Personally, I think a lot more people use Drinky as justification to become anti-DS, but that's just my observation.

In the end, we have far too many people on this forum who make it their main objective to troll. It's getting tiresome.

Kon Tiki

Banned
. It points out that in its first year both PSP and DS managed around 13 million units each,
I am sure if simulate the first year of Madden franchise, the result will not match reality. :lol

Jim said:
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X -- 1/31/2006
World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 International -- 2/7/2006
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX PSP -- 2/7/2006
Fight Night Round 3 -- 2/14/2006
Exit -- 2/14/2006
Toca Race Driver 2 -- 2/21/2006
MX vs. ATV Unleashed: On The Edge -- 2/27/2006
Street Supremacy -- 2/28/2006
Neopets: Petpet Adventure -- 2/28/2006
Generation of Chaos -- 2/28/2006
Spongebob Yellow Avenger PSP -- 2/28/2006
MLB 06: The Show -- 2/28/2006
World Poker Tour -- 3/6/2006
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K6 PSP -- 3/6/2006
YS: THE ARK OF NAPISHTIM PSP -- 3/7/2006
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent -- 3/7/2006
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror -- 3/7/2006
Untold Legends 2: Warriors Code with Bonus! -- 3/7/2006
Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai -- 3/7/2006
Pursuit Force -- 3/7/2006
Worms -- 3/13/2006
Stacked with Daniel Negreanu with Bonus! -- 3/14/2006
From Russia With Love -- 3/14/2006
Mega Man Powered Up -- 3/14/2006
Astonishia Story -- 3/14/2006
Brothers In Arms -- 3/15/2006
Field Commander -- 3/21/2006
Monster Hunter Freedom -- 3/21/2006
Bust-A-Move Deluxe -- 3/24/2006
Def Jam Fight for NY PSP -- 3/27/2006
NBA Ballers: Rebound -- 3/27/2006
Viewtiful Joe VFX Battle -- 3/28/2006
Daxter -- 3/28/2006
Metal Gear Acid 2 -- 3/28/2006
Mortal Kombat Deception PSP -- 4/1/2006
Tomb Raider: Legend -- 4/11/2006
Guilty Gear: Judgement -- 5/1/2006
50 Cent: Bulletproof PSP -- 6/1/2006
Gran Turismo -- 6/1/2006
The Godfather -- 7/1/2006

You posted the PS2 list, silly.

Oblivion

Forgotten Ancient said:
...You're joking, right? I don't think Jim's a troll by any stretch of the word.

He blatantly stopped the DS at April to make the PSP games look far more impressive by comparison.

xaosslug

Mama Smurf said:

85727qwyvw5sp.jpg

IT'S NOT JUST YOU!

Pimpbaa

Oblivion said:
He blatantly stopped the DS at April to make the PSP games look far more impressive by comparison.

Or maybe that's all the list shows. The release list on gamefaqs goes to June, while the DS release list only goes till March

jarrod

Banned
Oblivion said:
Er, I think EB did that. Though EB lists are notoriously inaccurrate too and shouldn't really be taken as gospel. They often used to show more Xbox releases than PS2 as well.

Jim

Oblivion said:

Sorry... that's all the list shows. Give it a try for yourself. I just picked EB Games off the top of my head, cause I knew they had a Coming Soon list broken down in that way. Like I said, this was just a simple cut/paste, I can't vouch for how accurate it is, and I know it has some questionable games on it, but still... it gives some sort of visual impression of upcoming releases.

PSP list: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/deptpage.asp?wherefrom=comingsoon&web_dept=PSP

DS list: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categori...asp?wherefrom=comingsoon&web_dept=Nintendo DS

And this is literally the first time (and hopefully the last) I've ever taken part in one of these PSP/DS war threads, or even one involving the PS2/Xbox/Xbox 360/PS3. I seriously don't give a shit, but man, reality does indeed frequently take a back seat at GAF :lol

Oblivion

Jim said:
Sorry... that's all the list shows. Give it a try for yourself.
Like I said, this was just a simple cut/paste, I can't vouch for how accurate it is:

PSP list: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/deptpage.asp?wherefrom=comingsoon&web_dept=PSP

DS list: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categori...asp?wherefrom=comingsoon&web_dept=Nintendo DS

And this is literally the first time I've ever taken part in one of these PSP/DS war threads, or even one involving the PS2/Xbox/Xbox 360/PS3. I seriously don't give a shit, but man, reality does indeed frequently take a back seat at GAF :lol

..oh. Well, terribly sorry then. The way it was done, it seemed to scream bias. Want to be friends? :)

Flipmo23

I guess people these days are richer than I thought. Think of how much money the Sony fanboy has to spend just to feed the Sony need. $400+ for the new console, $250 for the portable, shitload of money to get some UMD movies to justify the "coolness" of walking around with a portable that can play movies on a little 5 inch screen, and then the shitload of extras that come with the added functions of both systems.

I really shouldn't be talking, considering I bought a 360 at launch, but hey, you can only imagine my frustration so far. When my favorite game to play RIGHT NOW is ESPN 2K5, something is wrong.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
Sony's Xbox. If I say that into a mirror 3 times, you think I'll summon Kaching?
You can just say you want attention and save yourself a little breath. It's more honest.

Link said:
But isn't that indirectly what you're doing? People giving the PSP shit are assholes, but people giving the DS shit are fine because you don't care?

Personally, I think a lot more people use Drinky as justification to become anti-DS, but that's just my observation.

In the end, we have far too many people on this forum who make it their main objective to troll. It's getting tiresome.

I didn't say they were fine, I said I tended to not notice them s much. They *are* assholes. I give them no leeway except that I tend to overlook them. Partly becuase I don't read many DS threads (and I used to call them out there when i did) and partly because as a PSP fan I am more sensitive to PSP bashing. I would welcome a pro-DS person doint the same as me calling out the anti-DS assholes. The more the merrier, perhaps the trolls will get the message.

Re: your last point-- agreed.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Jim said:
Gran Turismo -- 6/1/2006

Ahem.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Pimpbaa said:
This confuses me, yes everyone should be afraid if a system with a terrible line up of games can taking over the market, but why would it be good for Sony lover boys? The DS taking over the market is good for Nintendo lover boys.

Obviously it would be good for Sony fans as they can brag. DS having the market would be better because its got great portable games, whats confusing?

Pimpbaa

Roders5 said:
Obviously it would be good for Sony fans as they can brag. DS having the market would be better because its got great portable games, whats confusing?

Nothing, just making fun of your stupidity in thinking the PSP's lineup is crap.

Pimpwerx

jarrod said:
They aren't "GAF estimations" though... they're NPD or MCV or Mediacreate or Famitsu or whoever. And sure they only give insight, but it's better insight than whatever sources this article used obviously. Unified worldwide sales tracking would be just as prone to the same flaws as these sources too anyway, what you're saying is basically there's really no way to get any "facts" on how many units DS or PSP have moved into consumer hands.
This is why the numbers are useless, and have been since they first became popular on this forum. The trackers are flawed. They have accuracy issues that compound, and there's no actual accountability with any of the free sources.

OTOH, companies have to give "facts" to shareholders. It comes in the form of shipments most of the time, but those numbers normalize over time anyway. If they expect Sony to outship Nintendo by 10M units or something over that period of time, it's not like there's a chance they expect the numbers to really be close.

Estimates aren't facts. You're playing the same game as the analysts in the articles, but you just have a source that you consider reliable, when it's not. No more/less reliable than shipments in any case. It just doesn't favor your argument as well. PEACE.

Top Bottom