• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen: U.S. sales of Sony PSP will dwarf those of DS over the next 5 years

Kon Tiki said:
Did you ever recover your stolen one?
that was lower, and no.

If it does, it'll just lose that lead around Nov when Pokemon hits That you can take to the bank.

Pokemon does not have that strong a pull anymore, I believe. And even then, that's IF the PSP does not have it's own FF, GT, GTA, and EA games.

Mrbob

DCharlie said:
of course, the anecdotal stories come the other way

Of our gang of guys, all the girls who had previously no interest (or out and out distaste) in gaming all own DS's. That's 4 or so buyers who wouldn't touch gaming getting a DS.

At first, i thought it was nintendogs... but then they got brain training... then seeing them all playing Mario Kart together at various parties... it's a real turnaround. If you'd told them over a year ago that they'd be the ones initiating wireless games with the guys, they'd have told us they were crazy.

Mrs C mother - DS owner, Brother - DS owner, Father - DS owner
Jonnyrams inlaws - DS owners
Cormacaronis wife - DS owner
My boss (hates games) - DS owner, his wife - DS owner

the list goes on.

I'm not saying that there is no evidence of sony opening up handheld gaming to the sony user base - that's obviously the case - i just think the DS reach is beyond that. It doesn't even need people to be into Nintendo, gaming , or whatever - it's pulling in people of it's own accord.

For that reason, i think this article is off the mark.

Err, don't you live in Japan?

This article is strictly talking about the USA market. The same market where the PSP outsold the DS in Nintendos biggest month of the year and by over a million units for the entire year.

Jonnyram

Mrbob said:

This article is strictly talking about the USA market. The same market where the PSP outsold the DS in Nintendos biggest month of the year and by over a million units for the entire year.
Notice that Brain Training is not out in the US yet. If it has the same success in US and Europe as Japan, PSP is not going to be cruising as this report suggests. Nintendogs worked, so there is no reason to assume Brain Training won't.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Notice that Brain Training is not out in the US yet. If it has the same success in US and Europe as Japan, PSP is not going to be cruising as this report suggests. Nintendogs worked, so there is no reason to assume Brain Training won't.

That and Pokemon.

xaosslug

whassup0zd.jpg

“WASSUUUUUUUUUP”

Mrbob

Jonnyram said:

Brain Training games come out, and they sell 1 million copies each, soooo? I expect them to do well, they are Nintendo games after all.

PSP doesn't have the same type of problem with new games being released on the platform in the west like it does in Japan. It is a big difference. Sorry that the PSP release list sucks in Japan, but it isn't that way in the rest of the world.

Monk

Banned
Other than GTA LCS what games would have an impact that was released in the US? And GTA games dont do so well in Japan.

cvxfreak

Mrbob said:
Brain Training games come out, and they sell 1 million copies each, soooo? I expect them to do well, they are Nintendo games after all.

And soooo, they sell a ton of DS hardware.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

um... they are talking about combined totals of 13 mill+ then talking about overall. The trend in Japan puts the PSP 3 million behind. If the trends continue, then the rate of expansion of Japan will out pace the US and the DS will remain ahead unless europe turns around.

I dunno - it looked like they were talking about global figures to me.

PkunkFury

Mrbob said:

And the GBA outsold them both. Which handheld do you think will inherit the GBA user base two-three years from now?

Of course the PSP outsold the DS this year; it also launched this year. A significant percentage of every hardware unit's sales occur during its launch.

There simply isn't enough information available right now to decide which of these two handhelds will emerge on top in the US. Going so far as to say one will "dwarf" the other in sales is particularly off base. I don't see any reason to believe marketshare for these machines won't remian a 50/50 split for the next year or so. If one machine was going to swing ahead I'd be much more inclined to pick the DS, which has a significant population of GBA owners still waiting to upgrade, a price advantage (first to hit 99), and many more familiar franchise games in the immediate pipeline

Mrbob said:

Breaking news: DS and PSP sold 13 million units each IN THE USA their first year. I don't think so.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I wonder if people will dig on Brain Training.

AMAZON REVIEW: 0 STARS
Review by BobbyB_696969
IF I COEULD GIVE THIS GAME NEGATIVE STARS I WOULD LOL. THIS GAME IS SHIT. ITS LIKE GOING TO SCHOOL. IF I WANTED TO GO TO SCHOOL I WOULD GO TO SCHOOL. I NEVER WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL AND NOW NINTENDO IS CHARGEING MONEY FOR SOMETHING LIKE MS FLETCHERS ENGLISH CLASS. DONT BUY THIS UNLESS U LIKE SCHOOL AND AM SOME KIND OF A NERD.

Sho Nuff said:

Review by BobbyB_696969
IF I COEULD GIVE THIS GAME NEGATIVE STARS I WOULD LOL. THIS GAME IS SHIT. ITS LIKE GOING TO SCHOOL. IF I WANTED TO GO TO SCHOOL I WOULD GO TO SCHOOL. I NEVER WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL AND NOW NINTENDO IS CHARGEING MONEY FOR SOMETHING LIKE MS FLETCHERS ENGLISH CLASS. DONT BUY THIS UNLESS U LIKE SCHOOL AND AM SOME KIND OF A NERD.

Drinky troll on Amazon? what?

D3VI0US

Sho Nuff said:

Review by BobbyB_696969

:lol The very attitude that will result in the games marginal impact in the West.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Barry Lightning said:
Late breaking news: 2% of people surprised

seriously...i mean, come on...

Pre launch of PSP that's pretty much what everyone thought, is it still such a no brainer for you given sales figures?

Given that half of the lifetime of DS the system has been CRAP for games, I think DS is starting to become pretty impressive now.

Sho Nuff said:

Review by BobbyB_696969

But I am also really doubting the success of Brain Training in the US. But you have to remember that there are a lot of kids with DS systems, right? I mean that is a given. Who buys the kids games? Parents. I can see a lot of parents picking it up for their kids, even if they hate it. Haha.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Too bad we have to wait 5 years for the ownage on this. Actually no we don't this guy claims that PSP will outsell DS every year from now on increasing it's lead. We shall bump this sucker January 1st 2007 and again in 2008 and so on. PSP has GTA out and DS is still hangin in the west with Nintendogs spankin it. Nintendogs! Online Pokemon, Online Nintendogz sequels and whatever else Nintendo cooks up will tip the scales in favor of DS.

I still think that DS's potential for brand new IP's becoming monster hits like BT and Nintendogs is far greated than the PSP's. This gives the DS's library a wild card sort of status because Nintendo might develop something this year for DS that Dwarfs even their Pokemon games in universal appeal if that is even possible.

We already know what the PSP is getting more PS2/PS3 games. I just don't see a portable Devil May Cry or Metal Gear game being anywhere near the success of their console counterparts. GTA will be lucky to sell a quarter of the amount of Vice City (yeah right). Handheld games must be designed with portable gameplay in mind from the Ground up and Sony just hasn't figured this out yet. They just figure "hey we'll just put our BEST PS2 games on the PSP and BAM, instant success". It just doesn't work that way.

Jonnyram

I think you guys are totally missing the point of the Brain Training games here.
They're actually marketed at adults as a way to envigorate your brain and make you better at thinking, by reducing the age of your brain. The perfect brain age is 20, and as you get older, your brain slows down and you lose your ability to make quick logical decisions. This software trains your brain and tests your progress. It's not for kids at all, though kids get some enjoyment out of it, especially when competing with their parents.

The Brain Flex software, however, can be totally enjoyed by younger people. It's still great for adults who want to loosen their brain a bit and it enables you to think more laterally after training.

All the software is aimed at selling the DS to people who don't give a crap about playing games. But then they get hooked on this and since they have a DS they start noticing other games. That's exactly what is happening in Japan right now and there is no reason why it can't happen in the west with the right marketing. I'm not Japanese and I enjoy it, so go figure. What's more, when the English version comes out, I'll be buying it for my parents back home, just as we bought the Japanese version for my wife's parents at Christmas.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, I have to say something about this "DS and PSP aren't competing with each other" shit.

Now, many of you are totally correct in thinking that the people who are interested in GTA, Halo and sports games definitely aren't gonna be waiting in line for a DS. Same goes with those who like Nintendogs not going to run to the store to get a PSP. But here's the thing. There is still gonna be a ton of overlap in games between the two systems. RPGs, platformers, and other genres that interest gamers are going to be common to both sides. The PS2 didn't get to win the console war mainly because it had GTA and sports. That market certainly helped, but it wasn't the ONLY market on the PS2, either. If PSP hardware continues to lag behind the DS in Japan, expect to see a shit ton of more Japanese support for the DS, which would mean a shit ton of RPGs, which are a powerful genre to control.

So in conclusion. Yes, the DS and PSP ARE competing. End of story.

Edit: I see CVXfreak also mentioned something similar. :)

D3VI0US

BudokaiMR2 said:
But I am also really doubting the success of Brain Training in the US. But you have to remember that there are a lot of kids with DS systems, right? I mean that is a given. Who buys the kids games? Parents. I can see a lot of parents picking it up for their kids, even if they hate it. Haha.

Good point, they'll make a killing in Edutainment sales and it promotes Revo too in a sense. Still after hearing Johnny Ram's description it sounds incredibly stupid and not like a very fun game at all. I've never seen the non-games played though so it's just hard to get a feel for what it's like. How does it test for quick logical decisions? To me it sounds like some kind of silly aptitude test.

ioi

Banned
Haha, this thread is hillarious!!

What have I missed?

Are we all waiting on a Sony report "26m PSPs shipped" on Thursday or something? :lol

Jonnyram said:
I think you guys are totally missing the point of the Brain Training games here.
They're actually marketed at adults as a way to envigorate your brain and make you better at thinking, by reducing the age of your brain. The perfect brain age is 20, and as you get older, your brain slows down and you lose your ability to make quick logical decisions. This software trains your brain and tests your progress. It's not for kids at all, though kids get some enjoyment out of it, especially when competing with their parents.

The Brain Flex software, however, can be totally enjoyed by younger people. It's still great for adults who want to loosen their brain a bit and it enables you to think more laterally after training.

All the software is aimed at selling the DS to people who don't give a crap about playing games. But then they get hooked on this and since they have a DS they start noticing other games. That's exactly what is happening in Japan right now and there is no reason why it can't happen in the west with the right marketing. I'm not Japanese and I enjoy it, so go figure. What's more, when the English version comes out, I'll be buying it for my parents back home, just as we bought the Japanese version for my wife's parents at Christmas.

That is a really good point. I know they are marketed at adults in Japan, but I don't know if that same marketing strategy is going to work in America. I am still skeptical of it being a success in the US. I also agree that it will really depend on the marketing that NOA puts out for it. A really good marketing campaign could make this a runaway success. I mean the marketing campaign in Japan for it seems really good, and is obviously working.

But hell I am rooting for it. I think it is an awesome piece of software.
And dammit I hate people labelling it as a "non-game". That is by far the dumbest term I have heard in a long time.

Also Jonnyram, I have been interested in picking this up, and you have obviously played around with it.

I am not fluent in Japanese, but I am working on it at the moment. I am wondering if you think it would be worth picking it up? I am especially interested if it would help me increase my vocab and/or kanji knowledge.

Mook1e

Shaheed79 said:
We already know what the PSP is getting more PS2/PS3 games. I just don't see a portable Devil May Cry or Metal Gear game being anywhere near the success of their console counterparts. GTA will be lucky to sell a quarter of the amount of Vice City (yeah right). Handheld games must be designed with portable gameplay in mind from the Ground up and Sony just hasn't figured this out yet. They just figure "hey we'll just put our BEST PS2 games on the PSP and BAM, instant success". It just doesn't work that way.
Sony is making these games?
It looks to me like third parties are doing this.
The console-quality-games-on-the-go handheld market has just been created. It'll take everyone a little while to get used to what works and what doesn't.
PSP is a great platform to put any kind of handheld game on if you develop them right.
This is why it's going to do fine.

That said, I don't know if I agree with this prediction. I know I don't agree with the prediction made last year that there will be a PSP out this year w/ a HD. But hey it is just a prediction.

Haha and just for kicks here are a picture I took in Shikoku.

90934772_1c1069e317.jpg

Even the coin toy machines are sold out of DS's. Haha, I bet some desperate parents plucked tons of money in before they won one, just in time for christmas.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Mook1e said:
Sony is making these games?
It looks to me like third parties are doing this.
The console-quality-games-on-the-go handheld market has just been created. It'll take everyone a little while to get used to what works and what doesn't.
PSP is a great platform to put any kind of handheld game on if you develop them right.
This is why it's going to do fine.

That said, I don't know if I agree with this prediction. I know I don't agree with the prediction made last year that there will be a PSP out this year w/ a HD. But hey it is just a prediction.

You think they're doing them right? Aside from Monster Hunter, Lumines and to an extent GTA I would have to disagree for the most part.

Sony has to green-light every single PSP game released and they designed the hardware so yes it is on Sony to an extent. The reason why 3rd parties are devoloping so many ports/upgrades for PSP is because it is cheaper to do so than to develop a brand new 3D IP from the ground up specifically for PSP when they can just do a port/remake/upgrade that would sell just as much (in their eyes). PSP's powerful hardware is both a blessing and a curse. Games like GTA and Dynasty Warriors have never been possible on handhelds up until this point which means more fluid 3D in huge 3D worlds. But the trade-off is that of the resources such a game would require when it is practically garunteed to not sell as much as the console version.

Ok it's time to just get this out in the open so everyone understands.

Handhelds, have traditionally had much lower tie ratios than consoles. This has nothing to do with Nintendo monopolizing the library this has been true with ALL portables and the PSP is not likely to change this trend. This will make publishers think twice about funding brand new 3D games with graphics similar to PS2. It may be cheaper than deving for the PS2 but it is nowhere near as cheap as devoloping a new game for the GBA/DS and this has a lot to do with art assets not needing to be as detailed along with a myriad of other differences which make PSP games make DS games look like crap. Sony has in effect created a double edged sword as 3rd party publishers don't just expect to make money on their handheld games, but rather NEED to make money off their handheld projects if only to off-set the costs of their console projects. This will become even more important to publishers as next-gen kicks into full throttle and game development costs increase by a nice amount.

Lastly, value cannot be measured in graphics alone. PSP games are between 40-50 bucks but who is to say these games contain more value than a 30 dollar DS game like Advance Wars? Handheld games are about content..content..content first and foremost, NOT graphics. This is why Pokemon spanked the hell out of just about everything and Monster Hunter PSP is becoming the best selling PSP game in Japan. Pickup and play games with lots of content is what 3rd parties need to concentrate on not a portable version of Fight Night 3. EA will continue to be successful making PSP versions of their console games but I don't see too many other publishers having that sort of success besides maybe Rockstar. If that is what PSP owners want then thats fine but I don't think portables can be primarily used for console ports and have GBA like success. Maybe the PSP will prove me wrong though.

M3wThr33

Banned
marc^o^ said:
That's the thing with sarcasm: you can be misinterpreted when people don't know you well.
Yeah. It's hard to get a straight answer out of Ani.
At least when they aren't related to Sega sales.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
M3wThr33 said:
Yeah. It's hard to get a straight answer out of Ani.
At least when they aren't related to Sega sales.

You can use "Sega" and "sales" in the same sentence, without also including the word "clearance"?

Mook1e

Shaheed79 said:
You think they're doing them right? Aside from Monster Hunter, Lumines and to an extent GTA I would have to disagree for the most part.

Sony has to green-light every single PSP game released and they designed the hardware so yes it is on Sony to an extent. The reason why 3rd parties are devoloping so many ports/upgrades for PSP is because it is cheaper to do so than to develop a brand new 3D IP from the ground up specifically for PSP when they can just do a port/remake/upgrade that would sell just as much (in their eyes). PSP's powerful hardware is both a blessing and a curse. Games like GTA and Dynasty Warriors have never been possible on handhelds up until this point which means more fluid 3D in huge 3D worlds. But the trade-off is that of the resources such a game would require when it is practically garunteed to not sell as much as the console version.

Ok it's time to just get this out in the open so everyone understands.

Handhelds, have traditionally had much lower tie ratios than consoles. This has nothing to do with Nintendo monopolizing the library this has been true with ALL portables and the PSP is not likely to change this trend. This will make publishers think twice about funding brand new 3D games with graphics similar to PS2. It may be cheaper than deving for the PS2 but it is nowhere near as cheap as devoloping a new game for the GBA/DS and this has a lot to do with art assets not needing to be as detailed along with a myriad of other differences which make PSP games make DS games look like crap. Sony has in effect created a double edged sword as 3rd party publishers don't just expect to make money on their handheld games, but rather NEED to make money off their handheld projects if only to off-set the costs of their console projects. This will become even more important to publishers as next-gen kicks into full throttle and game development costs increase by a nice amount.

Lastly, value cannot be measured in graphics alone. PSP games are between 40-50 bucks but who is to say these games contain more value than a 30 dollar DS game like Advance Wars? Handheld games are about content..content..content first and foremost, NOT graphics. This is why Pokemon spanked the hell out of just about everything and Monster Hunter PSP is becoming the best selling PSP game in Japan. Pickup and play games with lots of content is what 3rd parties need to concentrate on not a portable version of Fight Night 3. EA will continue to be successful making PSP versions of their console games but I don't see too many other publishers having that sort of success besides maybe Rockstar. If that is what PSP owners want then thats fine but I don't think portables can be primarily used for console ports and have GBA like success. Maybe the PSP will prove me wrong though.
Um, yeah.
Monster hunter PSP is also the best looking PSP game in Japan and it's a portable version of a PS2 game. There goes that example.
And if you think that because Sony approves the games means they are forcing people to make their "BEST PS2 games on the PSP" you are wrong.

jarrod

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
This is why the numbers are useless, and have been since they first became popular on this forum. The trackers are flawed. They have accuracy issues that compound, and there's no actual accountability with any of the free sources.

OTOH, companies have to give "facts" to shareholders. It comes in the form of shipments most of the time, but those numbers normalize over time anyway. If they expect Sony to outship Nintendo by 10M units or something over that period of time, it's not like there's a chance they expect the numbers to really be close.

Estimates aren't facts. You're playing the same game as the analysts in the articles, but you just have a source that you consider reliable, when it's not. No more/less reliable than shipments in any case. It just doesn't favor your argument as well. PEACE.
Sure... but the problem here is, they're clearly mixing "factory shipments" (for 13 million PSP) with "sell-in" (for 13 million DS) to arrive at these fataly flawed projections. Using sell-through estimations or shipment figures for both would be fine, but that's not what's been done here...

sonycowboy said:
They're solid. They put out a monthly report that focus's on a variety of VG topics. They're always EXTREMELY solid in their numerical analysis. And, in the investment community, Susquehanna is top rated.
So you'd say DS and PSP both moving about 13 million units worldwide each is a "solid" number?

BTW, got any higher EU PSP estimates yet?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
My japanese girlfriend told me that brain training is sort of a fashion among older people there, I wonder if it can do the same in the west. Do we think japanese elderly people are a little more open towards trying electronic gadgets that were previously considered toys?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
elostyle said:
My japanese girlfriend told me that brain training is sort of a fashion among older people there, I wonder if it can do the same in the west. Do we think japanese elderly people are a little more open towards trying electronic gadgets that were previously considered toys?

If they get it into some kind of Sudoku-style thing they can.

One of the UK papers I woke up to today says "The 10-min workout that can improve your brain" on its front page.

So these things can be popular if marketed VERY WELL.

Pimpwerx

jarrod said:
Sure... but the problem here is, they're clearly mixing "factory shipments" (for 13 million PSP) with "sell-in" (for 13 million DS) to arrive at these fataly flawed projections. Using sell-through estimations or shipment figures for both would be fine, but that's not what's been done here...
Been meaning to ask you, but where do you get this "factory shipments" thing from, anyway? As far as I know, shipped is shipped. Sell-in=shipped. Is Sony counting units shipped that aren't already part of a paid order? This is like the debacle over the PS2 JP launch numbers, with people bickering over when units were actually shipped or not, and forming their own conclusion devoid of evidence. IOW, do you have a link to support that? I've never seen it mentioned in their earnings reports. PEACE.

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
It's a pretty lame assumption because... Nintendo wont be selling the DS in its current form for 5 more years, Guaranteed. The PSP however will likely not see a redeesign in the next 5 years.

jarrod

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Been meaning to ask you, but where do you get this "factory shipments" thing from, anyway? As far as I know, shipped is shipped. Sell-in=shipped. Is Sony counting units shipped that aren't already part of a paid order? This is like the debacle over the PS2 JP launch numbers, with people bickering over when units were actually shipped or not, and forming their own conclusion devoid of evidence. IOW, do you have a link to support that? I've never seen it mentioned in their earnings reports. PEACE.
Er... the article?

SIG has compared year-by-year sales and estimates for the first five years of each machine's life, using sell-in and factory shipments. It points out that in its first year both PSP and DS managed around 13 million units each, with DS slightly ahead.

...the term "production shipments" has also recently started popping up in SCEI's reports, there was a big fuss about it on the forum already.

The 13 million PSP figure I'm guessing is coming from Sony, since there's no other source to get that. And if it's from Sony, it's most likely "production shipments"... in fact detailing "factory shipments" in the article is a dead giveaway. The 13 million DS figure is likely from Nintendo PR, which detailed 13 million DS units in consumer hands rather than shipped. It's painfully clear the article's pulling from different piles here though.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Shaheed79 said:

Pickup and play games with lots of content is what 3rd parties need to concentrate on not a portable version of Fight Night 3.
This rant reads really strange since you bookended it like this. To lay out games like Lumines and GTA as "doing it right" while chastising EA for porting FN3 rather than making pickup and play games makes little sense since FN3 is arguably more pickup and play friendly than either Lumines or GTA are at least.

I'd be really interested to know more about the criteria that had you pick those 3 games to the exclusion of just about everything else when I can think of a number of games that are either better catered for portable play on the PSP or just as good as these three.

Koren

biggreenmachine said:
It's a pretty lame assumption because... Nintendo wont be selling the DS in its current form for 5 more years, Guaranteed. The PSP however will likely not see a redeesign in the next 5 years.
Multimedia capabilities are a big selling point for the PSP. What will be the market of multemedia devices in 3 years from now ? There is already devices with better screens than PSP, this market is developping really really fast.

It's a given that we will see a PSP redesign in the 3-5 coming years. The gaming functions may be the same, but you'll have a better screen, better autonomy and such. UMD resolution is far higher than PSP screen, I doubt that Sony has no idea for using it.

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
Koren said:
Multimedia capabilities are a big selling point for the PSP. What will be the market of multemedia devices in 3 years from now ? There is already devices with better screens than PSP, this market is developping really really fast.

Exactly, The future of portable video is not disc based (UMD), just like 5 years ago the future of portable audio was not disc based (Minidisc anyone?) Sony is wrong with the UMD for movies. Devices with bigger screens and harddrive storage to transfer real DVDs too are the future of portable video and will be the reason why the PSP eventually focuses its market on gaming.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
DS won't go away for awhile, if anything it will get a a step up like DS SP or something, still the DS though innit? Haven't come close to fully exploring the systems potential yet.

Top Bottom