• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Generation SHMUPS: Resogun, Ubusana, Jamestown,......

Drifting Lands is an RPG STG that's on the horizon. It will be a while before it is released, but there is a basic demo for it on Steam right now. The aesthetics look pleasing and the combat system is uses cooldowns for special weapons. It's pretty neat. I'm super interested in it.

Thanks, I never heard of that game before! I added it to my wishlist, I'll check out the demo later today.

Momentary

Banned
I actually did not know about Astebreed.

It looks good, anyone got it and can confirm if it's worth it?

It's good. It's better than their last attempt which was Ether Vapor. That isn't a bad game either. Both are good and it definitely shows that they are learning with every new project they release. I enjoyed it a lot and I felt like I got my money's worth.

But right now, for $3.39, it can't even touch CCWI in terms of bang for the buck.

KAOS

Love Astebreed and Retro 360 RE! I'll buy them again on the ps4. Nano Assault Neo X {which I like more than Resogun} is out on the ps4. Galak Z is also coming to the ps4. Can't wait for the X1's Raiden V! Bring em on!!!

Fhtagn

ill never again listen to someones gaming opinion if they sit back and say Resogun sucks.

It took me a little while to get Resogun; initially I thought the pacing was a bit off/slow. Then I started playing it single stage and focusing on saving all humans and it clicked hard. GREAT game.

Fhtagn

Also, I don't know how I didn't already know about Ubusana!

Ikaruga is the only shmup I've 1cc'ed properly.

andymcc

Banned
Yes it did.

1985 Zzap64.
It's a term originating in European computer mags so it's sort of understandable that Americans are confused by it lol

I think shmup should be used as an
Identifier for (inevitably inferior) western shooters while using STGs for the superior japanese shooters...

Tain

I can't believe Crimzon Clover was made by a single person. It's just amazing.

It is, though the guy that made it is one of the very best STG players in the world and it supposedly took him eight years. It's very much not the norm for the doujin scene. Hopefully his next game won't take so long (and hopefully he can get some help on it, lol).

Momentary

Banned
It is, though the guy that made it is one of the very best STG players in the world and it supposedly took him eight years. It's very much not the norm for the doujin scene. Hopefully his next game won't take so long (and hopefully he can get some help on it, lol).

Man, If I were wealthy enough I'd help fund his next game if it would expedite the process. But he seriously needs to have someone on music duties (BLANKFIELD) and maybe additional hands on sprite work.

In my opinion Danmaku Unlimited 2 had the best soundtrack out of any game released this year and in recent memory. BLANKFIELD needs to get used more. Especially in action heavy games.

Stage 1 Theme

Krejlooc

Banned
There is minotaur rescue vr on gear vr, and txk on the vita. Txk vr is also coming to the Oculus rift, gear vr, and sony morpheus.

gngf123

Here's a release of 2014 STGs on Steam. Some are currently on sale.

Crimzon Clover is currently on sale for $3.39.

Danmaku Unlimited 2 is currently on sale for $1.99

Astebreed is currently onb sale for $4.49

Revolver 360 RE:ACTOR is currently on sale for $4.99

Ikaruga maintains its $9.99 price tag.

Hangeki is currently on sale for $8.49

RefleX is currently on sale for $3.99. There's also ALLTYNEX Second and Kamui that make up the other part of this trilogy, but don't expect them to get a discount since they were just released.

Savant Ascent was released in December of last year, but it was recently updated in October with a free expansion. It's currently on sale at $0.99

Pretty much all of these are very good.

I'd like to point people to Playism for Revolver360 though. Either the same or slightly cheaper price compared to steam, you get a steam key in addition to the regular downloadable DRM free copy, and it is thanks to them some of these games escape Japan.

http://www.playism-games.com/games/revolver360/

gngf123

How are the Touhou games that are coming to the PS4?

I'd honestly just recommend getting whatever mainline Touhou game you can on PC. 7,8,9 are normally considered the best but 14 is the only one that is easy to get hold of.

All of the Touhou games I know of getting a console release are spin offs, and mostly not even STG's. I'm sure that will change in the future though.

Momentary

Banned
I forgot about QP Shooting Dangerous. It's so off the wall that it flew my mind. It's currently 20% off at $6.39. It's a VERY solid STG that was released recently. I spent a little bit of time on it. It will probably be the first STG I beat for 2015.

There's also Redux: Dark Matters. I've heard nothing but good things about this one. It's not aesthetically pleasing to me, but the soundtrack is amazing. I'm giving this a go next year. It was just released on Steam but was a Dreamcast release prior this that. It's currently $12.99.

AzureEternal

Neo Member
I'd honestly just recommend getting whatever mainline Touhou game you can on PC. 7,8,9 are normally considered the best but 14 is the only one that is easy to get hold of.

All of the Touhou games I know of getting a console release are spin offs, and mostly not even STG's. I'm sure that will change in the future though.

Yeah, I'm glad you cleared this up, as a lot of people are assuming the Touhou games coming to PS4 are STGs, when in fact, they mostly are unrelated genres--fighters and the like. So I'm not sure we should be including them on the master list.

Momentary

Banned
Blue Flamingo is another above average shooter with a unique art style. It's only around $2.50. Not something to write home about but not bad either. It also has an upgrade RPGish element to it.

I actually think I might spurge on Blue Flamingo and Redux today.

Is the Jamestown plus content making its way to PC at some point? I'll be hella pissed if it isn't. I'd even pay for it if need be.

Drifting Lands is an RPG STG that's on the horizon. It will be a while before it is released, but there is a basic demo for it on Steam right now. The aesthetics look pleasing and the combat system is uses cooldowns for special weapons. It's pretty neat. I'm super interested in it.

That's made by a french team right ?

As a shooter fan who does not enjoy bullet hell shooters (I prefer the old style shooters, like Raiden), should I even bother with Crimzon Clover, seeing as how it's getting rave reviews?

guit3457

Is the Jamestown plus content making its way to PC at some point? I'll be hella pissed if it isn't. I'd even pay for it if need be.

Answer by Mike Ambrogi Primo (from Final Form Games) to a tweet:

"@Foamed1 We honestly haven't decided anything about PC yet. Making a rad game that takes full advantage of PS4 is our total focus right now."

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Astebreed is alright. Crimzon Clover is the real deal. Nearly everything else is ass. We are entering the new era of the euroshmup.

Momentary

Banned
As a shooter fan who does not enjoy bullet hell shooters (I prefer the old style shooters, like Raiden), should I even bother with Crimzon Clover, seeing as how it's getting rave reviews?

Put it on Novice. Go to Original Mode. Enjoy the power. Once you get the hang of "hey locking on and killing enemies with my homing weapon first gets me a score multiplier" it kind of gets addicting. What makes the game so great for me is that on Novice it's pretty forgiving and it's not too heavy on the bullets until way later. Now if you're looking for a more slow paced experience without the entire screen lighting up into a ridiculous frenzy then it's probably good to look elsewhere.

Shady859

Good thread I added a couple things to my radar and need to get some Steam $ now haha. Cave needs to come to next gen console or Steam or something, just take our freaking $$$ already. I've got most of the 360 region free titles but would happily buy them again.

I'm not a beast just got into them a few years back but love the satisfaction these games give.

Momentary

Banned
Astebreed is alright. Crimzon Clover is the real deal. Nearly everything else is ass. We are entering the new era of the euroshmup.

I wouldn't say everything else is ass. Danmaku Unlimited 2 is a far second from Crimzon, but it's still an awesome experience. And for $1.99 it's a damn steal. The game was technically released in 2013 before coming to Steam and it was definitely 2013's best Shmup.

Draft

Answer by Mike Ambrogi Primo (from Final Form Games) to a tweet:

"@Foamed1 We honestly haven't decided anything about PC yet. Making a rad game that takes full advantage of PS4 is our total focus right now."
lol. I wonder if the Sony marketing check comes with a little style guide. "Deflect port questions by emphasizing focus on PS4 development. Try to include buzz building adjectives like "tubular" and "bodacious."

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
In Qute I trust. If Eschatos and Ginga Force are anything to go by, Natsuki Chronicle is going to be amazing.

Momentary

Banned

Developers aren't going to talk about a different port of a game that's been in a Playstation exclusive commercial. Its going to come out to Steam.

SOME-MIST

not really all that excited about any of the newer games. raiden 5 should be pretty cool but I still have to buy a xb1. ubusana is the only one that seems really promising for me seeing as a buncha cave joined m2 but that also means I have to buy a ps4.

crimzon clover is pretty top notch and world ignition greatly cleaned up the already awesome original release.

I'll unfortunately/probably only stick to my pcbs for most of this gen tho :(

Can't wait for Galak-Z though. Thats the one that has had my attention since it was first shown

Hope we get a release date soon.

Accoun

Were there any confirmed? I know it was a thing to help Touhou fangames to get on consoles, but never heard of any confirmed titles (or just don't remember).

Producer

Eh, they're just a different style really. I like Cave shmups but I also like Geometry Wars-style shmups a lot.

yeah thats what i was getting at. cool that theres a nice amount of euro shmups upcoming but they dont really do much for me.

gngf123

Were there any confirmed? I know it was a thing to help Touhou fangames to get on consoles, but never heard of any confirmed titles (or just don't remember).

I thought 3 were confirmed. Mystery Gensokyo 3, The Genius of Sappheiros, and Touhou Sky Arena: Matsuri.

Admittedly, I only found out about it a week ago.

Durante

I'm really happy about all the love Crimzon Clover is getting in this thread. It deserves it.

I forgot about QP Shooting Dangerous. It's so off the wall that it flew my mind. It's currently 20% off at $6.39. It's a VERY solid STG that was released recently. I spent a little bit of time on it. It will probably be the first STG I beat for 2015.
I'm waiting to see whether this turns into a flash deal by some miracle, if not I'm picking it up before the end of the sale.

Top Bottom