• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Generation SHMUPS: Resogun, Ubusana, Jamestown,......

I'll mirror system11's misgivings on all the arcade shmup devs sticking with Xbox, while the 360 itself wasn't that popular in Japan, it's not anywhere as dire as the Xbone is. And unlike last gen there are loads of shmups on Steam and PS4 (and no CAVE too)

What sets Crimzon Clover apart from every other shooter? No one is saying anything about it other than that it's omg amazing.

Crimzon Clover is the shmup equivalent of Skullgirls (MikeZ & Capcom FTG), one of the best players of CAVE shmups spent 8+ years making his own take on CAVE's formula while also adding the lockon mechanic Rayforce/Kamiu uses.

For a lover of both CAVE and Rayforce this game is pure bliss. Also it gives PC owners a true taste of CAVE and what they've being missing not owning a 360.

Tain

When it comes to MOSS and Qute being on Xbox One, only they know their situations. The decision could be the end of them, but for all I know there was up-front cash and it might be the only way they could see themselves staying in operation for another year or two.

All consoles get worthwhile exclusives, so where a game ends up is pretty much never a dealbreaker for me.

Does anyone have a clue as to if G.rev are to go back to making console shmups? Or have we lost them to handhelds for good?

When it comes to MOSS and Qute being on Xbox One, only they know their situations. The decision could be the end of them, but for all I know there was up-front cash and it might be the only way they could see themselves staying in operation for another year or two.

I would have expected some of them to stick with the 360 just like the DC, I guess the low sale numbers can't be worth it or as you say MS gave them too good an offer they couldn't refuse.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
SonyToo!™;145392751 said:
Does anyone have a clue as to if G.rev are to go back to making console shmups? Or have we lost them to handhelds for good?

I would have expected some of them to stick with the 360 just like the DC, I guess the low sale numbers can't be worth it.
After Gamecenter, I have no idea what they're up to. :/

After Gamecenter, I have no idea what they're up to. :/

I get the impression that G.rev has some bad blood with MS, they were vocal in their criticism of MS around the time they released Strania on XBLA. IIRC it was Grev who spilled the beans on MS paying devs/pubs in US$ and pocketing the difference in exchange rates for games / DLC bought with MSPs

Momentary

Banned
Any horizontal shooters similar to Gradius, Darius, Rtype, or Thunder force in style / tone? Everything seems very these days.

Satazius or Procyon. I the latter game is better. And it's a dollar cheaper.

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266250/

There is also Sine Mora.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207040/

Danchi

Yeah, it doesn't look too hot.

I liked the Qute and Moss games I played for the 360 but they were essentially bonuses after I bought the system to play CAVE games.

I like the genre enough that I'm sure I'll pick up an XONE eventually but it could be a long time. I'm not a veteran of the genre so I have plenty of older titles to keep me busy.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
You're not the only one. I really disliked Sine Mora. I just don't think it was a good game at all.

didn't the developers hang out on system11 forums asking for advice on how to make a good shooter, then basically disregard everything they were told?

but yeah, i thought it was pretty terrible. shame because the world really needs more horis.

@MUWANdo

Banned
didn't the developers hang out on system11 forums asking for advice on how to make a good shooter, then basically disregard everything they were told?

Yes, and they even talked about this in their GDC presentation, but I can't seem to find any footage online.

You guys weren't lying when you said Crimzon Clover was amazing. I bought it about an hour ago and finished Novice mode. This game is just FUN.

Momentary

Banned
Valkyrius is another SHMUP struggling to get on Steam via the Greenlight process. It's currently at GMG and Desura for purchase. I own this game through Desura and I found my time with it to be enjoyable although the depletion of acquired weapons like Einhander was sort of a turn off at first, but I got used to it. Theirs a dash/teleport mechanic that very fun to use and the gameplay isn't so bullet helly for those who are looking to find something a little less frantic.

Trailer

It's not going to top any charts, but it's far from being a Psichodelya. What a shit game.

Momentary

Banned
Roche Fusion coming in Jan 2015 to Steam. It's a stationary shooter like Galaga, but with 100X more action. Looks kinda slick. It will more than likely end up in my library at some point.

Sky Force Anniversary is an AWESOME looking shooter from polish developer iDreams. It looks like a 19xx game with a facelift. The game is currently on iOS and is being retuned for the PC. I'm really looking forward to this. It will be coming to Steam sometime in 2015.

Leave Home is another game that's soon to be released on Steam in 2015. It's unique looking with retro 3D graphics and varied neon color palette. Seems really fast paced and hectic. I'm definitely interested in this. It's currently available on 360 and the PC outside of Steam for $5.

Super Robot Vulkaiser, from Astro Port (creators of Gigantic Army and Satazius), was Greenlit and looks to be coming to Steam in 2015. It's old school shmup based on a GATTAI mechanic that looks pretty interesting. The art style looks to take it's cues for 70's and early 80's anime. I'm looking forward to this STG.

There's also Armed Seven, Arkadianax, Overdriven that's on its way over as well as a few other Shmups that I'm too tired to list.

FoxSpirit

I wasn't too keen on it. But I also didn't finish it. I think I got to the third act and quit. I need to go back and finish it.
Only if you really want. I never got past the demo.
Now, I'll have to pick up Satazius and Procyon to see what's up.
Also, MD/Genesis shmups on an old JVC reference monitor are gorgeous. Seriously, that thing makes them look better than arcade :-D

edit: should also check out Hydorah, that also has proper graphics as opposed to the a bit slipshod ones of the aforementioned.

guit3457

Roche Fusion coming in Jan 2015 to Steam. It's a stationary shooter like Galaga, but with 100X more action. Looks kinda slick. It will more than likely end up in my library at some point.

Sky Force Anniversary is an AWESOME looking shooter from polish developer iDreams. It looks like a 19xx game with a facelift. The game is currently on iOS and is being retuned for the PC. I'm really looking forward to this. It will be coming to Steam sometime in 2015.

Leave Home is another game that's soon to be released on Steam in 2015. It's unique looking with retro 3D graphics and varied neon color palette. Seems really fast paced and hectic. I'm definitely interested in this. It's currently available on 360 and the PC outside of Steam for $5.

Super Robot Vulkaiser, from Astro Port (creators of Gigantic Army and Satazius), was Greenlit and looks to be coming to Steam in 2015. It's old school shmup based on a GATTAI mechanic that looks pretty interesting. The art style looks to take it's cues for 70's and early 80's anime. I'm looking forward to this STG.

There's also Armed Seven, Arkadianax, Overdriven that's on its way over as well as a few other Shmups that I'm too tired to list.

Added all those games to the OP. Roche Fusion and Sky Force look promising. I remember playing Leave Home on the Xbox 360 because it was extremely cheap and EDGE gave it a 8.

JP

I keep forgetting about Jamestown Plus, really looking forward to trying the new stuff in that. Also on the way to PS4...

Super Stardust Ultra Offscreen Gameplay Video from PSX '14.

• Brand new planets
  • 'Glorious' visual enhancements
  • Global leaderboards
  • Send & receive challenges from friends
  • 9 new & old gameplay modes
  • New 2 to 4 player split-screen mode
  • New co-op mode
  • New interactive Streaming mode (viewers vote to alter the gameplay live as you play)
  • Due out Q1 2015
  • Developed by Sony XDEV

LCGeek

formerly sane
Been at my other residence and finally started getting time with my PS4, resogun was unexpected and very welcome shump I'm hooked. The game is well balanced, looks really good with the particle effects and has good multiplayer.

Hopefully this gen we see more of this stuff cause it's been too long.

Momentary

Banned
Just to put something into perspective for some people.

Shmups released on Steam by Year:

2007 - 2
2010 - 4
2011 - 10
2012 - 7
2013 - 5
2014 - 43

This is counting full releases. Not demos or early access titles, or questionables like Metal Slug. Hopefully Cave jumps on the bandwagon and at least brings their iOS/Android games over at least.

but yeah, i thought it was pretty terrible. shame because the world really needs more horis.

Don't know. In any case, yeah, I thought it was terrible also. Such a shame, as the game looked really good. Too bad gameplay wasn't able to match the visuals.

gngf123

I bought Crimzon Clover and played it for around one hour, it's glorious, as a Cave fan I'm super pleased.

I thought you would. It really is great.

It makes me happy to see people pick it up thanks to this thread. I've been trying to get people playing it for months.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's a term originating in European computer mags so it's sort of understandable that Americans are confused by it lol

I think shmup should be used as an
Identifier for (inevitably inferior) western shooters while using STGs for the superior japanese shooters...

Yeah, we used to call them shooters. Didn't know where the "shmup" term came from but I do now :)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Added all those games to the OP. Roche Fusion and Sky Force look promising. I remember playing Leave Home on the Xbox 360 because it was extremely cheap and EDGE gave it a 8.

I've been playing Sky Force on iOS religiously since August. Excellent shooter, but a MAJOR grind to level your ship.
The fact that I can keep playing the same stages over and over says a lot.

SOME-MIST

Wow, Pythetron looks great! Anyone know of any sites out there that focus on shooters and nothing else?

The shmups.system11.org messageboard.
Cave-stg.com used to be a great source for cave shooters until eoj shut it down a couple years ago, but you can still find it on web archives.

Biker19

Banned
2015 is going to be one of the darkest years for shmups particularly on consoles since time began.

*) Too many new people making them now don't understand what was good in the old.
*) Death in 2014 of one of the final Japanese companies making arcade shmups.
*) Microsoft already fucking things up for the niche developers left by somehow talking them into releasing on a stillborn platform in their main sales region. Honestly this bit makes me want to club whoever got that agreement like a baby seal. This is not the same as last gen when the PS3 was hard to develop for, and the 360 seemed like it had a viable 2nd place future in Japan. The XB1 is dead there. It is a non-product.

So the only real hope is Japanese indie titles jumping from PC to PS4. I'm sure Raiden will find itself on PS4 too. At least Revolver is good, better than Resogun IMO.

Sadly, I would have to agree with this. Publishers/developers like CAVE were dumb for making these kind of games Xbox console exclusive in Japan instead of on Playstation platforms. Now most of them probably don't exist anymore.

All consoles get worthwhile exclusives, so where a game ends up is pretty much never a dealbreaker for me.

MOSS had ported Raiden IV & Caladrius to PS3 as "Raiden IV: Overkill" (but only on PSN) & as "Caladrius Blaze" a year ago.

It's only a matter of time before they port Raiden V over to PS4 as well.

Tain

MOSS had ported Raiden IV & Caladrius to PS3 as "Raiden IV: Overkill" (but only on PSN) & as "Caladrius Blaze" a year ago.

It's only a matter of time before they port Raiden V over to PS4 as well.

I'm not as confident, but it's likely, yeah.

Danchi

Just to put something into perspective for some people.

Shmups released on Steam by Year:

2007 - 2
2010 - 4
2011 - 10
2012 - 7
2013 - 5
2014 - 43

This is counting full releases. Not demos or early access titles, or questionables like Metal Slug. Hopefully Cave jumps on the bandwagon and at least brings their iOS/Android games over at least.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's debatable whether a bunch of three quid doujin/indie games are really that helpful to the genre.

People talking about the lack of releases are really talking about a lack of new arcade releases and subsequent console/PC ports.

Momentary

Banned
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's debatable whether a bunch of three quid doujin/indie games are really that helpful to the genre.

People talking about the lack of releases are really talking about a lack of new arcade releases and subsequent console/PC ports.

This was more to point out that Steam went from no shoot'em ups to having more in 2014 than in every other year combined. Yeah the genre is hurting elsewhere, but it's booming on Steam. Plus, I buy most of these games day one to give as much support to them as possible. They have to evolve with the times and releasing on arcades and one console platform barely alive in Japan isn't the right move for these games.

I feel the genre is more alive than it has ever been. Just looking at the online leader boards on Crimzon Clover is testament to that. Sky Force has millions of people playing the game and is getting a Steam release soon. When was the last time a shoot'me up had millions of players? Maybe Resogun and Geometry Wars III, but there aren't any download figures to go by other than scoping leader boards.

I don't think 2015 will be a dark year at all. It's going to be a dark year for the rest of the big dogs if they continue with their archaic practices of they release their game. Not to sound unappreaciative, but there are even indie developers releasing their games on the Neo Geo and Dreamcast this year. Sure the nostalgia is great, but that isn't the best way to reach out to a wider audience. Needless to say the last game released by Hucast did get a PC release recently, but why start off rocky? A lot of these companies really have no one else to blame but themselves.

Hopefully companies like Cave wisen-up and stop giving their games to mobile companies just to send them off to die. Treasure was quick to stop that. Maybe it really is working for Cave, but I don't see the numbers that say it is. Hopefully they follow suit. Not saying mobile is a graveyard, but games like these need to come to the platform with iOS/Android in mind first in design and console/PC later. It really worked for Sky Force, and now all they have to do is modify a few mechanics for the re-release of the game.

But like it was said before, 2015 is going to be a dark for the heavy hitters in the genre.

EDIT:

Alsot Xenoraptor and Assualt Android Cactus are being released this year. Here's some footage of the first game....http://xenoraptor.net/

guit3457

Yep, I saw Xenoraptor and Assault Android Cactus on the RPS 2015 games feature.

Xenoraptor has a 8 players online mode....jesus.....

I am learning so many great things from this thread.

and also, last chance for Steam sales, get Crimzon Clover and Astebreed for far too little while you can.

gunstarhero

SonyToo!™;145394434 said:
I get the impression that G.rev has some bad blood with MS, they were vocal in their criticism of MS around the time they released Strania on XBLA. IIRC it was Grev who spilled the beans on MS paying devs/pubs in US$ and pocketing the difference in exchange rates for games / DLC bought with MSPs

I would kill for a follow up to Strania on consoles.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Games like Crimzon Clover aren't any worse than the typical arcade releases of yore. Arcades are basically dead outside of Japan anyway.

Tain

Games like Crimzon Clover aren't any worse than the typical arcade releases of yore. Arcades are basically dead outside of Japan anyway.

Nothing else from the doujin/western scene is on Crimzon Clover's level, though, and I'm thinking that will be the case until Yotsubane's next game (which could be, like, 3+ years out for all we know).

Having said that, I'm not super doom and gloom about the genre. Mainly because the history of the genre is enough to last me a lifetime, but also because we have a few sure bets coming up (Raiden V and the next Qute game) and maybe we'll even see stuff like Ubusana and some unnamed projects turning M2 into the next Cave.

therapist

Ubusana: by the creator of Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun.

I had no idea. Can i just give them my money now?

Probably also get raiden v

FoxSpirit

Crimson Clover is kinda insane, the levels are pretty easy next to the bosses. Mind you nothing further than Level 3 so far, lovely.

Top Bottom