• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 11 |OT| - A Fraud‘s Time

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Aaron Rodgers shows respect for Detroit Lions CB Darius Slay during and after game

19205805-mmmain.jpg

GREEN BAY, Wisc. -- Darius Slay doesn't show up on the box score in the Detroit Lions' 18-16 win over the Green Bay Packers, but that doesn't mean the third-year cornerback didn't make an impact.

In fact, he delivered one of the standout performances in the victory.

With Rashean Mathis done for the season, the Lions called upon Slay to follow wide receiver James Jones -- Green Bay's top big-play threat this season -- around the field.

Slay's coverage was so sticky, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers rarely looked Jones' way, throwing to the trusted veteran target just twice. And just like Slay didn't make a dent in the box score, neither did Jones. He was held without a reception for the first time this season.

"I mean, he threw it my way twice and I did what I was supposed to do, I knocked them down," Slay said. "I had real tight coverage. That's what I do."

Rodgers' respect for Slay showed throughout the game as he generally focused on the opposite side of the field, where Josh Wilson and Nevin Lawson attempted to cover Davante Adams and Randall Cobb. Those two combined for 15 catches and 152 yards after being targeted 31 times.

After the game, Rodgers offered Slay some words of encouragement that put the young, boisterous defensive back over the moon.

"He just told me, when I came and shook his hand, 'Slay, you're one of the young best (corners),'" Slay said. "Oh my goodness, I just got this from Aaron. Woo."

After having a rocky start to the year, Slay has come on strong in recent weeks. In nine games, he's recorded 33 tackles, nine pass breakups and one interception.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/11/detroit_lions_darius_slay_5.html#incart_most-readsports

Darius Slay had a huge game for us and effectively shut down half of the field. He's turned into that shutdown corner he was projected to be.

Mentally he's still young, like talking smack to Peyton pregame then jumping up for two jump balls that turned into TDs against the Broncos but the 3rd year DB has been one of the best in the league this year.

Need to ride this ship to 6-10, 7-9 and build around some solid young talent we have. The record indicates 2-7 but this is not a 2-7 team. Just had horrible luck with offensive coaching, defensive injuries and overall extremely disappointing young offensive line.

These problems can all be remedied with the slew of draft picks we have next year not taking into account if we trade Megatron.

Watt talking trash to Dalton apparently hurts the integrity of the game. The integrity of the game people. This is serious business

MechDX

Doctor ordered Hoyer into the locker room for evaluating for concussion.

Also something about Red Ryder BB gun or whatever the hell...

Errydayum errydayum errydayum Hustlin'

If Watt referring to Dalton as Red Ryder upset him he will be a mess now when he goes into an opposing stadium and there are signs and chants stating "Red Ryder"

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Matthew Stafford shakes off rough start to lead Lions to historic win

GREEN BAY, Wisc. — He just couldn't watch.

Matthew Stafford is a guy who has seen some stuff in his day. He has seen 14-loss seasons and 11-win seasons. He has seen fourth-quarter comebacks and big-time blowouts.

But this? A 2-point conversion to erase a lead he had just given the Detroit Lions at Lambeau Field against the Green Bay Packers?

This, he could not bear to watch.

So he turned his back to the field.

"It was an emotional last couple of last minutes, you know?" Stafford said. "A lot of ups and downs. We score, and you think we're going to win it. Then the wind blows that extra point of ours wide left.

"Saw the (Green Bay) touchdown, and I just couldn't watch. Was just going to play it off the crowd."

And the crowd told him everything he needed to know. Cornerback Crezdon Butler had broken up Aaron Rodgers' pass intended for Davante Adams in the end zone, preserving Detroit's two-point lead.

Green Bay made things interesting by recovering the onside kick after it caromed off Calvin Johnson, but Mason Crosby missed the 52-yard field goal, and that was that. The Lions won 18-16.

Stafford became the first Lions quarterback to win at Lambeau Field since Erik Kramer in 1991 — a rut that had spanned 13 quarterbacks, including himself.

He cleared another important hurdle: It was his first career road win against a winning team. He had lost his first 19 such games.

"It feels good just because we won the game," Stafford said. "It was an up-and-down one, obviously. Not pretty in a lot of areas. Had some mistakes in all three phases but also made some big plays in all three, which sometimes offsets those mistakes.

"We did a great job, our defense played great, and we made enough plays late in the game to win it, and that's what it's all about."

Stafford finished 24 of 38 passing for 242 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

He started slowly, misfiring on six of his first seven passes and failing to pick up his second completion until 7:28 remained in the second quarter. He didn't have a touchdown drive of longer than a 2 yards until the fourth.

But in that fourth quarter, when Detroit needed him most, Stafford was very good.

Detroit took over with 5:55 remaining in the game while clinging to a 12-10 lead, and it had a decision to make. Play conservatively and try to drain the clock or go for the jugular.

"You could tell it in his eyes, he wanted to play that thing aggressively," coach Jim Caldwell said, "and Jim Bob (Cooter) did a nice job with the play calling and getting some adjustments against a very, very tough, gritty defense."

Detroit opened the series with a successful reverse to Golden Tate, and then, after misfiring on his first pass, Stafford connected on the next four, the last of which was a 4-yard touchdown to Lance Moore that proved to be the game winner.

Stafford converted two huge third downs to make that play possible, including a brilliant 13-yarder to Calvin Johnson after buying himself time by leaking out the left side of the pocket.

"They brought a blitz that had been getting us the last couple weeks, and our guys stoned 'em up front," Stafford said. "Gave me time to check one, two — I was checking to three, and had to get out of there. Calvin made a great play."

Later, facing a third-and-3, Stafford connected with Tate on a short crossing route at the sticks. Tate took the ball, slipped through two would-be tacklers and sprinted 43 yards into the red zone.

"Jim Bob dialed up the perfect play for that one to Golden," Stafford said. "They had a bunch of coverage running to Calvin. We knew it was going to be a man coverage situation, and Golden did what he does best, and that's catch and run."

Stafford wasn't always great against Green Bay, but he was good enough late, and that proved to be enough for him to do what the 12 starting quarterbacks before him could not. Win a game in Wisconsin.

"It's not easy being 1-7," Stafford said, "but we knew we had an opportunity to come out here and play, and I'll bet nobody gave us a chance. And that's the way we like it. We don't really care who gives us a chance, because we feel good about ourselves. We know what we're about."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/11/matthew_stafford_shakes_off_ro.html#incart_river_index

Furyous

It's alright, how you living?

I can't hear you from down there. Reach the top of the division then get at us. There's always next year. Get Russell a gotdamn offensive line next year.

Shout out to the Texans for handing me my fourth W this year.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Kas posting an entire game recap? Seriously?

Oh, I've got more articles I can post like how the Lions have the Packers number and beaten them 3 out of the 4 times we've played the last two seasons, or how they've been 11-5 against divisional opponents the last 16 games we've played in the NFC North (but not done well outside the division).

There were a lot of side stories in this game and young players, like Darius Slay and Ziggy Ansah who contributed.

This was such a huge and historic win for the franchise going forward. That cannot be stated enough. No more "Lions haven't won at Lambaeu since 1991" before every game in Green Bay.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Oh, I've got more articles I can post like how the Lions have the Packers number and have gone 3/4 against them the last two seasons, or how they've been 11-5 against divisional opponents the last 16 games we've played in the NFC North (but not done well outside the division).

There were a lot of side stories in this game and young players, like Darius Slay and Ziggy Ansah who contributed.

This was such a huge and historic win for the franchise going forward. That cannot be stated enough. No more "Lions haven't won at Lambaeu since 1991" before every game in Green Bay.

Post all the articles

I am very interested

Oh, I've got more articles I can post like how the Lions have the Packers number and have gone 3/4 against them the last two seasons, or how they've been 11-5 against divisional opponents the last 16 games we've played in the NFC North (but not done well outside the division).

No more "last unbeaten team with at least 8 wins that didn't score a TD in their first loss was the '34 Lions against the Packers" either. Historic weekend for you, friend, celebrate

Spinluck

Can't believe I missed another Andy Dalton classic.

I don't mean to ruin it for you, but he played like shit for 3 quarters, kind of played less shitty in the 4th quarter (receivers left some plays on the field). His defense got a stop and he had a chance to win the game but could not come up big in another big moment.

I'm sure we can breakdown the X&O's, but in short, Dulton led a great team to a disappointing loss. JJ Watt called him the Red BB Gun after the game, and Dulton cameback with some weak ass PR shit.

Dragon

Banned

Yeah I mean being happy is one thing but pretty sure giving the game away like the Lions did on like four separate occasions isn't something you should gloat about.

Spinluck

Yeah I mean being happy is one thing but pretty sure giving the game away like the Lions did on like four separate occasions isn't something you should gloat about.

Does Kas care more about Stafford or the Lions?

Sometimes I cannot tell. He can pretty much pass as Tabris Stafford edition if he wanted to.

Rival team had every chance in the world, plus only 10 men defending the field goal attempt, and still blew it

cdyhybrid

I can't hear you from down there. Reach the top of the division then get at us. There's always next year. Get Russell a gotdamn offensive line next year.

Shout out to the Texans for handing me my fourth W this year.

Live it up breh. Beating Seattle might be your Super Bowl, but it ain't the real thing.

Line_HTX

I don't mean to ruin it for you, but he played like shit for 3 quarters, kind of played less shitty in the 4th quarter (receivers left some plays on the field). His defense got a stop and he had a chance to win the game but could not come up big in another big moment.

I'm sure we can breakdown the X&O's, but in short, Dulton led a great team to a disappointing loss. JJ Watt called him the Red BB Gun after the game, and Dulton cameback with some weak ass PR shit.

I will admit, I was kind of / sort of freaking out that Andy was suddenly good and driving down the field to a potential GW TD.

It's a good thing the last play was a win-win call because it was 4th Down.

Andy, come home to Katy.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Post all the articles

I am very interested

None of them involve Matthew Stafford going to the Texans, sorry.

Would you rather me put those four articles/posts all in one giant |OT| style post?

It was yet another Lions style heart attack ending but we won in Green Bay for the first time since 1991. It was our Super Bowl for this season and ended the drought. Like I've said it has many implications going into the next few seasons.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I will admit, I was kind of / sort of freaking out that Andy was suddenly good and driving down the field to a potential GW TD.

It's a good thing the last play was a win-win call because it was 4th Down.

Andy, come home to Katy.

Technically you'd get better field position if it was an incomplete pass.

ampere

Does Kas care more about Stafford or the Lions?

Sometimes I cannot tell. He can pretty much pass as Tabris Stafford edition if he wanted to.

Speaking of Tabris...

I haven't seen him talking shit lately! Where he been, oh wait both Mannings lost this week.

Vyer

Really like how Johnson worked through his early mistakes and made plays. It's interesting to compare his first year with Kareem's way back when.

Top Bottom