• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 5 |OT| Free fallin', I'm-a free fallin'

Bread

Banned
I'm here for you if you need it fam
image.php

squicken

I've never been a Rick Smith fan but Watson was his choice (so was Oswieller) and Savage was always BoB's boy. The thing is the playbook was more open with Watson, and not just moving/running stuff. He looked better in the pocket than Savage ever has. Savage was slow in reading defenses and had no pocket presence.

So while my guess is that rumor is BS I'm have no doubt that everyone in the organization was on board in bailing on Savage. He is worse than Weeden

gutshot

I've never been a Rick Smith fan but Watson was his choice (so was Oswieller) and Savage was always BoB's boy. The thing is the playbook was more open with Watson, and not just moving/running stuff. He looked better in the pocket than Savage ever has. Savage was slow in reading defenses and had no pocket presence.

So while my guess is that rumor is BS I'm have no doubt that everyone in the organization was on board in bailing on Savage. He is worse than Weeden

But why did they go with him in the first place? That's the part that makes no sense.

Tamanon

Banned
But why did they go with him in the first place? That's the part that makes no sense.

My guess is that they thought they could just coast on the defense the first few games at least. That Savage wouldn't be that horrific. Give Watson time to learn?

Or, more likely, BoB sucks at picking QBs.

squicken

Howie intended to sit Wentz for a year until the Vikings deal fell in his lap. I think most teams just want to sit rookie QBs. But yeah, how did they ever think they could win with Savage after seeing him in practice? Doubt we'll ever get an answer

Vyer

I mean, it could be bullshit, but it's also not hard to believe Rick Smith made a poor choice and forced it on others.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Miles Killebrew continues rise in Detroit Lions secondary

ALLEN PARK -- Case Keenum was feeling the heat, and lobbed a 50-50 ball for the end zone. And it looked like Miles Killebrew was going to win it.

The Detroit Lions safety ran in front of Laquon Treadwell, timed his leap perfectly and high-pointed the ball in front of the intended receiver. He did everything exactly right.

Except, you know, actually hang onto the ball.

Pop in the tape, and you'd be hard-pressed to find another mistake in that game from Miles Killebrew. He played 22 coverage snaps, and didn't allow a single reception. That includes breaking up another deep ball, that one intended for tight end David Morgan.

Killebrew continues to be one of the most intriguing young players in the Lions' locker room. He barely played to open his rookie season last year, wound up becoming a critical component of the third-down defense and now is playing at another level in Year 2.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/10/miles_killebrew_continues_rise.html#incart_2box_lions

Killebrew is the third safety on our depth chart. Built like a linebacker with the speed of a safety.

MechDX

They've also played the two worst defense in the NFL the last two weeks. Against Cinci, the offense did not look that good. Everyone needs to slow their roll on Houston's offense.

Fair but cant look at it in a vacuum at the same time.

Cinci game was on 3 day prep with a rookie QB who had ZERO active TEs play and only 3 healthy WRers

As bad as NEs defense is its still a Belichik defense in Foxboro who has some crazy stat like 20-3 vs rookie QBs

Titans the same thing. Lebeau has some crazy ass good record vs rookie QBs

We will see since 2 of the next 3 games are vs KC and Seattle with the Browns sanwiched in between

Edit: also cant hate on Texan fans for being excited. Have you seen that offense the past 3 years!?!?

Hindl

Les Bowen‏Verified account
@LesBowen

Pederson: Cox progressing, won't practice today.
7:32 AM - 4 Oct 2017
Damn, Jernigan also has a heel contusion but should be good to go. Hopefully they can still get to old man Palmer and slow them down. There's also a thought that Cox might be held out of the Panthers game too to make sure he's fully healed. That's probably a loss without him though

MechDX

Also while Im talking things in vacuums: cant give the Browns shit for passing on Watson. No chance he has the same type of early success there he is having here.

Watson stepped into a near perfect situation similar to Dak. Houston has better skill players on offense as a whole and the defense is far superior. Dallas has a big advantage at O line.

Though at some point Cleveland has to pull the damn trigger

K-Gun

It's insane what Lorenzo Alexander is doing at his age.

ATL did a great job isolating him in coverage last week with their backs/tes in coverage, not Lorenzo's fault, had to play more coverage snaps due to injuries. But man can he get after it in the pass game. The Bills can throw Lorenzo, Hughes, and when healthy Lawson at a QB, along with the unknown Eddie Yarborough. They can rotate and really keep their rushers fresh.

If their secondary stays healthy they may be able to hold teams off with their D. Poyer is a find so far, he's being paid nothing, Hyde was a great get, White has balled out. Hated the Gaines/Darby swap but Gaines has played well when he's been on the field. It's really ridiculous that they dropped their top two cornerbacks, took that money and revamped the entire secondary with money to spare and added an extra draft pick.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
They've also played the two worst defense in the NFL the last two weeks. Against Cinci, the offense did not look that good. Everyone needs to slow their roll on Houston's offense.

the problem with linking FO DVOA is that they place a lot of emphasis on blowing teams out. So Texans blowing out Ten has clearly affected TEN ranking.

Nevermind they've scored more than 30 like 5 times in the BoB era.

Of course they need to keep it up and of course they're going to face better teams, like the Chiefs this weekend. However, years prior you would say yea they could maybe beat the Chiefs if they're perfect on Defense, dont give up any big plays on special teams and the offense doesnt make any mistakes. and in fact they did last year by a whopping 19 to 12 score. No one is saying that now. This team had two false starts in the same series in the red zone against the Titans, and still got a TD out of it. I can't tell you the last time thats happened.

So Eagles opened at -6.5 against the Cards. I wonder when the last time they were that big of a favorite was? Should be a nice easy game this week. Cards are kind of like the Chargers in that both teams have aging Qbs and don't run the ball well/much. I am thinking that the D will be in Palmer face all game and force several TO's. This is going to be a romp.

gutshot

Fair but cant look at it in a vacuum at the same time.

Cinci game was on 3 day prep with a rookie QB who had ZERO active TEs play and only 3 healthy WRers

As bad as NEs defense is its still a Belichik defense in Foxboro who has some crazy stat like 20-3 vs rookie QBs

Titans the same thing. Lebeau has some crazy ass good record vs rookie QBs

We will see since 2 of the next 3 games are vs KC and Seattle with the Browns sanwiched in between

Edit: also cant hate on Texan fans for being excited. Have you seen that offense the past 3 years!?!?

Yeah, the Cinci game was probably an outlier in terms of how bad the offense looked. But the Tenn game was probably an outlier in the other direction. Reality is Houston's offense is probably somewhere in between those two performances.

I hear ya on getting excited about your squad. Watson will have his struggles, like any rookie QB, but he is an exciting player to watch, for sure.

Rvaan

Banned
So Eagles opened at -6.5 against the Cards. I wonder when the last time they were that big of a favorite was? Should be a nice easy game this week. Cards are kind of like the Chargers in that both teams have aging Qbs and don't run the ball well/much. I am thinking that the D will be in Palmer face all game and force several TO's. This is going to be a romp.

If you front seven is healthy Palmer might leave in a body bag. That O Line is bad.

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=5 Once more the Chargers are banished to a backup channel in LA

Romo only doing the Thurs game this week?

Hindl

I dunno, the secondary and DL are both banged up and the Eagles will be without Cox, plus Jernigan should be limited. They should get to Palmer but I think he'll still put up big numbers. The offense is going to have to carry them this game. On paper, they should win, but I'm not completely confident with all the injuries. Plus, Fitz always annihilates the Eagles
If you front seven is healthy Palmer might leave in a body bag. That O Line is bad.

Romo only doing the Thurs game this week?
They probably won't be completely healthy and the corners will play off to give up the quick easy passes so they don't get burned deep. Eagles should've had tons of sacks against the Giants but left with none

gutshot

It was actually Week 17 last year against the Cowboys. That's because Dallas was resting most of their starters though.

The last time they were legitimate favorites that big would be Week 16 of the 2014 season @ Washington which was the game they ended up losing and it knocked them out of the playoffs, despite finishing 10-6 that year.

I dunno, the secondary and DL are both banged up and the Eagles will be without Cox, plus Jernigan should be limited. They should get to Palmer but I think he'll still put up big numbers. The offense is going to have to carry them this game. On paper, they should win, but I'm not completely confident with all the injuries. Plus, Fitz always annihilates the Eagles

They probably won't be completely healthy and the corners will play off to give up the quick easy passes so they don't get burned deep. Eagles should've had tons of sacks against the Giants but left with none

I wish one week the D would play up and jam the Wr and see if the DL could get there fast enough. If they were ever going to do that this would be the week. Palmer gets rattled so easily now. Fitz is the one thing that scares me this week but I just don't see the Eagles losing to just him. Double him all game and dare Palmer to make plays to someone else.

It was actually Week 17 last year against the Cowboys. That's because Dallas was resting most of their starters though.

The last time they were legitimate favorites that big would be Week 16 of the 2014 season @ Washington which was the game they ended up losing and knocked them out of the playoffs, despite being 10-6 that year.

Thank you, man I have tried so hard to wipe the memory of that game from my mind. What a nightmare that was.

Jarnet87

I have no faith in the Bucs offense hanging drive for drive with Tom Baby. Pates 48, Bucs 14. I just pray that the Patriots abuse Chris Conte so bad that he is cut Friday morning.

Top Bottom