• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 5 |OT| Free fallin', I'm-a free fallin'

Vixdean

There's a difference between running the spread and using spread concepts in certain plays. The thing is, NFL defensive players are smart, and the spread is a fairly predictable set of formations and plays which defenses can key in on. At the end of the day it's still about finding ways to get your playmakers into favorable matchups.

Hate watching the spread offense in the pros but its unavoidable now.

Cant wait a couple more years when offensive linemen are so bad out of college they have to bring back the Veer offense. Fun times indeed

I would love for a pro team to run the Wishbone full time, or the Veer. It would be so awesome to see someone in this damn sport try something different. Instead we get like 28 of 32 teams running some form of the damn WCO.

gutshot

I would love for a pro team to run the Wishbone full time, or the Veer. It would be so awesome to see someone in this damn sport try something different. Instead we get like 28 of 32 teams running some form of the damn WCO.

ya boy tried something different and the league chewed him up and spit him out. it just doesn't work

I think the spread isn't all that much fun to watch compared to pro style offense and I don't particularly like college football. I think the NFL should just create a D-League already and train players to fit their product.

Milchjon

I'm watching Last Chance U and I'm kinda disappointed by how non-technical/unhelpful the coaches' feedback to players is.

Is that just them editing for effect on TV or are a lots of college level coaches really just yelling and cussing a lot?

ya boy tried something different and the league chewed him up and spit him out. it just doesn't work

But it worked great. Chips offense were really good the first 2 years when the OL was good, even though he got terrible QB play. The 3rd year he got great QB play but the OL was a disaster. Give Chip a QB who can run his offense and a good OL and watch out. That offense would destroy teams.

MechDX

One could argue that the OL problems are at least partially due to trying to fit OLs trained in spread systems into non-spread systems!

Dude!!
537.gif

Oh damn the Wishbone! Hated playing defense against teams that ran that shit in HS. We ran the veer so....

gutshot

But it worked great. Chips offense were really good the first 2 years when the OL was good, even though he got terrible QB play. The 3rd year he got great QB play but the OL was a disaster. Give Chip a QB who can run his offense and a good OL and watch out. That offense would destroy teams.

You can say that about any system though. "With a great QB and a good OL, we will destroy teams!" No duh.

Point is Chip's success was not sustainable because the spread offense is too simplistic to work in the NFL. And even when it does work, the speed hurts your defense.

MechDX

You can say that about any system though. "With a great QB and a good OL, we will destroy teams!" No duh.

Point is Chip's success was not sustainable because the spread offense is too simplistic to work in the NFL. And even when it does work, the speed hurts your defense.

Pundits need to stop putting Wilson into elite catergory. He's average without his scrambling.

The comeback is greater than the win.

everything Gata ever posted
We need a blog with NFL GAF wisdom to archive

Vixdean

Was Chip's offense even really the "spread"? Mostly looked like a normal hurry up no-huddle offense with an extra emphasis on snapping the ball as early as possible. Colts did that shit for years with Peyton.

Based on what? It worked all 3 years in Philly even though he had garbage like Foles the first 2 years. Aint no other NFL team done anything on offense with Foles at QB. Chip built a good offense with a terrible QB his first 2 years and his offense was middle of the road the 3rd year when they had no OL at all. If you gave Chip an average QB and OL right now he would have a top 5 offense.

Tom Penny

A predominately Spread offense will never be the norm because most teams want their QB to survive and play every Sunday because that is the only way to sustain long term success.

harSon

Banned
That's the most disappointing part. I love the NFL, but I LOVE defense and the thought of those guys destroying offensive lines was exciting. Best prt of last years playoffs was watching the Texans D smash Brady.

What doesn't make sense? Ben is on the golf course mentally. Let Dobbs start.

Ben definitely played like shit, and has been playing like shit the entirety of this season. But you're doing the team a disservice if you end the conversation there. There's no reason to run Bell 15 times against the worst run defense in the league, and to pass as much as we did against the best pass defense in the league (I know that stat is misleading). There's no reason that our offensive line and Bell could only muster up 3.1 yards a carry against the worst run defense in the league.

Ben definitely deserves most of the blame, and deservedly so. But our offensive line, TEs, Haley, etc. have been disgustingly sub par as well.

Tom Penny

Ben definitely played like shit, and has been playing like shit the entirety of this season. But you're doing the team a disservice if you end the conversation there. There's no reason to run Bell 15 times against the worst run defense in the league, and to pass as much as we did against the best pass defense in the league (I know that stat is misleading). There's no reason that our offensive line and Bell could only muster up 3.1 yards a carry against the worst run defense in the league.

Ben definitely deserves most of the blame, and deservedly so. But our offensive line, TEs, Haley, etc. have been disgustingly sub par as well.
Can't expect to win when your best WR only gets 19 targets.

MechDX

More
The #Texans are flying former #Bears pass-rusher Lamarr Houston in for a visit tomorrow, source said. He could fill Whitney Mercilus’ role.

Isnt this the dude who hurt himself during a sack celebration?

gutshot

I really wonder how they grade him if he doesn't try to force that TD at the end of the half. I mean, the turnover didn't hurt them at all and it was a fine situation to take risks in, but still.

I doubt it would have effected much. They still would have dinged him for all the "INTable" passes they seem to conjure up out of nowhere.

I doubt it would have effected much. They still would have dinged him for all the "INTable" passes they seem to conjure up out of nowhere.

Could be. I'm even a bit torn with dinging him too harshly for his INT although it and the previous throw were bad. The logic behind taking those shots was ok to me. You're close to the red zone with little time left on the clock and your defense has been playing well. Another TD in that situation would have been great. You can play it conservatively and just take the field goal but do you really need to be conservative in that situation? Take a few shots at the end zone and see if magic happens. The problem is he made two awful throws in the process, not the choice to make the throws themselves.

Top Bottom