• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp/Disrespect 2015 |OT| - Building a better quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

CNwEeRAUsAIzznw.jpg

Not sure if Roger Goodell or Eli Manning.

At least Tom sort of looks better on the sketch this time around. Peyton's forehead, Milch? :Jnc

LJ11

Fred Jackson in his prime was a pleasure to watch, a complete back in every sense of the word. Rare vision, he got yards even when he shouldn't have. I wish someone would have given him a shot much earlier in his life, what could have been.

I'll never forget the game against the Pats in 25-40mph winds. Our OL was beat the fuck up, end of the year, we had complete bums in there. Seymour, Wilfork, up front for the Pats, and Fred just gashed them all fucking day. He brutalized that front for 150+ yards that day if memory serves. They lost because Jauron tried to kick a FG in ridiculous conditions, they also sucked, but Fred was the best player on that field that day. Everyone knew he was getting the rock, no one could stop him. I'm telling you, there were no huge creases for Fred that day, but he got the job done.

What a player, and he seems like a real good guy too. Hard to tell these days, but he seemed like a great human. Wish him the best.

mr2xxx

Banned
yea Cousins has looked fantastic when he's played.

They shouldn't have hired Gruden, unless he just out and out lied about being able to coach RG3.

You haven't watched enough of him play. He chokes in high pressure situations then continues to shit the bed with bad decision after bad decision. Past two years RG3 has lost the starting job and Kirk has failed to capitilize both times.

rando14

You really have to look at Rush Yards/Attempt with the Eagles D. They faced more snaps than any other D, so total yards is misleading, and I believe that's what the 15th overall rush defense was about. They shut down Dallas and Seattle in the run fairly easily. Trent Richardson had more yards/attempt than Beastmode against the Eagles, and that's cause no one in their right mind would crowd the box for him.

And he said front 7, so obviously he acknowledges that the secondary was hot garbage. Hopefully the secondary is just not garbage and average this year, and that will make the front 7 even better.

Uhhh we got nearly 200 rushing yards that game...?

EDIT: 4.1 ypc

Uhhh we got nearly 200 rushing yards that game...?

EDIT: 4.1 ypc

And that was almost a 25% reduction on your season average. And Lynch was held to 3.7 yards/attempt. And it was 188 yards with 13 more rushing attempts in the game than their season average. I'd say that's handling the Seahawks run pretty well all things considered.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You haven't watched enough of him play. He chokes in high pressure situations then continues to shit the bed with bad decision after bad decision. Past two years RG3 has lost the starting job and Kirk has failed to capitilize both times.
It was sarcasm.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It really irritates me when I read Lions' fan message boards and seeing so many people brush off Teddy Bridgewater. The guy has potential to be a top-5 QB in the league and that team is better than a lot of people think. Going to be 2 tough games this year.

It really irritates me when I read Lions' fan message boards and seeing so many people brush off Teddy Bridgewater. The guy has potential to be a top-5 QB in the league and that team is better than a lot of people think. Going to be 2 tough games this year.

Real talk Minnesota scares the shit out of me especially with AP back. 3rd place is definitely a reality that can happen.

Godslay

Banned
So I'm looking through the Eagles games last year, as the devil is always in the details.

Games over 100 yards rushing:

Colts: 169 on 38 attempts = 4.44 yards per carry (Richardson - 79)
SF: 218 on 42 attempts = 5.2 yards per carry (Gore - 119)
Rams: 125 on 23 attempts = 5.43 yards per carry (Cunningham - 47)
Texans: 118 on 28 attempts = 4.21 yards per carry (Foster - 56)
Panthers: 102 on 32 attempts = 3.18 yards per carry (Stewart -36)
Packers: 110 on 25 attempts = 4.4 yards per carry (Lacy - 69)
Seahawks: 188 on 46 attempts = 4.08 yards per carry (Lynch - 86)
Cowboys: 115 on 42 attempts = 2.73 yards per carry (Murray - 81)
Redskins: 100 on 29 attempts = 3.44 yards per carry (Morris - 83)

Total Games Over 100 Yards Given Up: 9
Average Yards Per Game: 131
Average Yards Per Carry: 4.12 yards per carry
Number of attempts: 305
Total Yards: 1245
% of Total Attempts: 64%

Games under 100 yards rushing:

Jaguars: 64 on 24 attempts = 2.66 yards per carry (Gerhart - 42)
Redskins: 84 on 28 attempts = 3 yards per carry (Morris - 77)
Giants: 86 on 25 attempts = 3.44 yards per carry (Williams - 43)
Cardinals: 71 on 23 attempts = 3.08 yards per carry (Ellington - 71)
Titans: 52 on 19 attempts = 2.74 yards per carry (Sankey - 37)
Cowboys: 93 on 25 attempts = 3.72 yards per carry (Murray - 73)
Giants: 76 on 24 attempts = 3.16 yards per carry (Williams - 59)

Total Games Under 100 Yards Given Up: 7
Average Yards Per Game: 75
Average Yards Per Carry: 3.11
Number of attempts: 168
Yards: 526
% of Total Attempts: 36%

So on 36% of the attempts teams averaged 3.11 yards per carry. On the other 64% teams averaged 4.12 yards per carry.

We traded Chris Clark? Why?

Maybe he was getting cut and the Texans wanted a look before anyone else. He looked a bit out of shape to be honest, but would have been good depth?

eh...

While I agree Minny will be better than most Lions fans think, I still expect us to finish ahead of them in the division and beat them twice. Bridgewater is gonna be good and actually has some weapons, plus a great RB and an o-line that will protect him. But he's still a second year QB. I don't see Peterson doing much damage against our run d, meaning Bridgewater will have to beat us. I don't see it happening...

I just can't see us being the third best team in this division.

eh...

While I agree Minny will be better than most Lions fans think, I still expect us to finish ahead of them in the division and beat them twice. Bridgewater is gonna be good and actually has some weapons, plus a great RB and an o-line that will protect him. But he's still a second year QB. I don't see Peterson doing much damage against our run d, meaning Bridgewater will have to beat us. I don't see it happening...

I just can't see us being the third best team in this division.

The Lions have been better than 3rd in the NFC North twice since 2007, and that's just when I stopped looking.

The Lions have been better than 3rd in the NFC North twice since 2007, and that's just when I stopped looking.

Ok? We're talking about the 2015 Lions. This is a superior team to the Lions of 2007 and certainly 2008. Add in the years of Stafford being injured/out for the year and it's no wonder we weren't doing shit until 2011. And that success didn't last but returned last year.

On paper the Lions are a better team than Minnesota this year, that's simply a fact. We'll see how things play out, but I'm confident that the Lions will at least finish 2nd in this division. Whether we make the playoffs or not is another question.

Ok? We're talking about the 2015 Lions. This is a superior team to the Lions of 2007 and certainly 2008. Add in the years of Stafford being injured/out for the year and it's no wonder we weren't doing shit until 2011. And that success didn't last but returned last year.

On paper the Lions are a better team than Minnesota this year, that's simply a fact. We'll see how things play out, but I'm confident that the Lions will at least finish 2nd in this division. Whether we make the playoffs or not is another question.

Okay, I lied, it was 1996.

Godslay

Banned
I'd be curious the sacks per team breakdown as well.

Half of the Eagles sacks are probably on Eli and whatever Redskin QB they drug out of the ditch that week.

Dragon

Banned
How about 2nd in sacks with the 31st ranked pass defense. If they had a secondary that could cover for even 1 fucking second imagine how many more sacks they could have gotten. They were also 4th in rushing yards/attempt against.

Could just mean QBs were holding onto the ball longer because their pass defense was so bad...

eznark

Banned
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...-candidate-for-a-big-dropoff-matthew-stafford

if you look under the surface you'll see a fringe playoff contender with a 9-7 pythagorean record that basically lucked their way into looking like one of the NFL's elite. While the defense was extremely good, the offense was secretly one of the NFL's worst, and if they take a step back on defense with the losses of Suh and Fairley, they may quickly find themselves on the wrong side of .500.

A lot of people predict "surprise teams" that will jump up and unexpectedly make the playoffs, but I suspect at least for this season, the Lions are a good candidate so see 3+ wins fall off of their 2014 total.

In some corners of the internet you will still see the Lions offense referred to as "dynamic" or "explosive". Here's a chart of the points scored by NFC North teams last season:

Packers - 486
Vikings - 325
Lions - 321
Bears - 319

Yes, if the Bears had managed to kick one more field goal the Lions would have had the worst offense in the division. There are some good, obvious reasons for this, starting with the fact that Calvin Johnson was either playing injured or missing games for a generous chunk of the season, but that only tells you a little of the story. The bigger story with the Lion offense is all about Joe Lombardi's quixotic quest to turn Matthew Stafford into an accurate short passer. Lombardi had the luxury of working with Drew Brees for most of his career and believes in having his quarterback get the ball out quickly on a regular basis. When someone possesses the all-world accuracy of Brees this is a fantastic idea; however, Matthew Stafford has a completely different set of tools, and this is a fool's game.

I actually think the Lions' front office deserves a lot of credit. They seem adept at identifying weaknesses (like Raiola and Bell) and finding upgrades (like Travis Swanson and Abdullah). Landing Golden Tate allowed them to survive more frequent Megatron health issues and eventually will help to move them towards a more balanced offense as Johnson ages. Abdullah and a slightly better offensive line will also help this transition along.

When you boil it all down, this is a team that wasn't as good as most people think, who lost some key players, whose best player is starting feel the bumps and bruises that come when you turn 30, and whose defense may no longer be able to support the more conservative offense favored by Caldwell and Lombardi. I think they'll be roughly .500 this season and maybe slightly under, but I am not as down on them as I was before I took a closer look. Another playoff appearance wouldn't shock me.

Griffin gone, that's fine, but I'm still shocked we never even gave him a chance to fail in the 2012 offense. Like--he never failed in that offense lol. They stopped running it and he failed as a drop back passer.

I just don't know why you wouldn't have just trotted the same offense back out and let him either die on the field or prove the offense that made him what it is wouldn't ever work again. Went with option 3 and it feels like failure for the organization.

pompidu

Fred Jackson in his prime was a pleasure to watch, a complete back in every sense of the word. Rare vision, he got yards even when he shouldn't have. I wish someone would have given him a shot much earlier in his life, what could have been.

I'll never forget the game against the Pats in 25-40mph winds. Our OL was beat the fuck up, end of the year, we had complete bums in there. Seymour, Wilfork, up front for the Pats, and Fred just gashed them all fucking day. He brutalized that front for 150+ yards that day if memory serves. They lost because Jauron tried to kick a FG in ridiculous conditions, they also sucked, but Fred was the best player on that field that day. Everyone knew he was getting the rock, no one could stop him. I'm telling you, there were no huge creases for Fred that day, but he got the job done.

What a player, and he seems like a real good guy too. Hard to tell these days, but he seemed like a great human. Wish him the best.

Sad to see him go, was a pleasure to watch him. He really brought out a lot of energy and spirit from his teammates, and of course the fans.

Tabris

I've never seen the latter last season, but man, talk about the stupidest drive-by. That dude brings no value here.

I don't even know who you are, but I'll be here posting during the season. No drive-by posting here. I just don't care about pre-season. I think NFL has the worst pre-season of any sports for enjoyment.

Same with the worst "all star game" / pro bowl.

Football just isn't exciting unless both teams are putting everything on the field. Battle of will and all that.

Maybe he was getting cut and the Texans wanted a look before anyone else. He looked a bit out of shape to be honest, but would have been good depth?

That is why I thought they would keep him for depth.

Jaguars TE Julius Thomas will miss 4-5 weeks after surgery on finger. He has 24 TD in last 2 seasons with Broncos.

Dude is injury prone it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom