• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

yyzjohn

Banned
Come on, mang. You know what I'm saying. Habs have made the playoffs something like 10 out of the past 12 years. So by and large they aren't drafting any higher than 15. Throw in a few division titles and a few ECF appearances, and you're into the mid 20's.

Yeah I get it, the risk is low, but if you look at 4 consecutive draft years, there's always a chance of being at the bottom.

Look at the last 8 years.

2016 -- 9th overall shot at first

2012 -- drafted 3rd overall shot at first

So if you gave up 4 first round picks in either of those 2 stretches, you'd miss out on a lottery chance in 2012 and 2016.

With an outright drafting guru like Trevor Timmons you want to keep as many picks as you can right?!!

Solo

Always eh? Except 2 years ago when Price was injured and you ended up in the lottery and 1 ball away from Matthews?

Further to my last post. Habs 1st pick position since Carey Price at #5 in 2005:

2006: 20
2007: 12
2008: 56 (2nd round - traded for Tanguay)
2009: 18
2010: 22
2011: 17
2012: 3
2013: 25
2014: 26
2015: 26
2016: 9
2017: 25

Average 1st round pick position, removing 2008: 20

Yeah I get it, the risk is low, but if you look at 4 consecutive draft years, there's always a chance of being at the bottom.

Look at the last 8 years.

2016 -- 9th overall shot at first

2012 -- drafted 3rd overall shot at first

So if you gave up 4 first round picks in either of those 2 stretches, you'd miss out on a lottery chance in 2012 and 2016.

Okay, but to me, Draisaitl is as good as any player we'd pick at #1 in the future, and unlike said future lottery pick, he's a sure thing.

calder

I blame Burke and Lowe for acting like babies.

That was a big part of it for sure. GM's were always too chummy but that offer sheet meltdown made them much much worse about it. And as time goes on in the internet age GMs get more scared about mean people on Twitter making fun of them for their mistakes and the owner eventually turning on them. Better to just not do anything except sign the occasional fringe AHL free agent and swap 5th round picks so no one can criticize us!

I don't know where it ends. The cap isn't increasing fast enough for how much the players expect to be paid nowadays. How can you put a team together when a few players can end up eating half the cap?

At the same time if the cap outstretch economic growth of the league and local areas, you'll get most of league in financial trouble.

Silexx

That was a big part of it for sure. GM's were always too chummy but that offer sheet meltdown made them much much worse about it. And as time goes on in the internet age GMs get more scared about mean people on Twitter making fun of them for their mistakes and the owner eventually turning on them. Better to just not do anything except sign the occasional fringe AHL free agent and swap 5th round picks so no one can criticize us!

There's no doubt that GMs work under this pseudo-honour system when it comes to offer sheets, but also remember that in order to send an offer sheet, a team needs to own its own picks that it will potentially send if the offer isn't matched. You can't use another team's draft picks that you acquired in a trade.

When you add the fact that any rebuilding team is going to want to hang onto their picks and that any team who would stand to gain from sending a predatory offer sheet could very well have already given away or swapped their picks, there isn't really a big pool of teams in a position to table an offer sheet in the first place.

Parch

I was hoping the Oilers could throw in a pick and find a sucker to take Pouliot, so a buyout and dead cap space isn't ideal, but so be it. They're working on getting McD and Drai inked so perhaps they feel a Pouliot buyout is long term necessary.

Oilers can afford to dump Eberle and Pouliot because they have reasonable depth for their bottom 6 forwards. Letestu, Strome, Caggiula, Kassian, Slepychev, Khaira, Pitlick, Pakarinen can all battle for ice time.

I expect another season of continuous line juggling. Who gets to play RW with Connor? Draisaitl? Puljujarvi? Adding Strome and the added depth at C opens the possibility of keeping Drai with McDavid for awhile longer. Maybe until Yakamoto is ready to give it a try.

I've always said offer sheets should happen more. That would certain throw a wrench in the Oilers plans. If tradition continues and GMs consider it a no-no, which I think they will, then Draisaitl probably signs long term like Connor. Lock 'em both up for 8 years. Connor is certainly worth every penny, I hope Leon proves to be as well.

Solo

If it would take 3 years to get Thornton in a Habs jersey I'd be all for it.

It won't happen. Not in a million years.

Which is unfortunate because despite his age, he's still a top player and he'd buy us 3 years to either draft/trade for a 1C, or turn AGally into something.

But it won't happen. Not even worth discussing really. If SJ doesn't sign him, he goes to one of the other California teams. He was run out of hockey crazy Boston in his 20's. Doubt he wants to come to even hockey crazier Montreal in his late 30's.

I suspect he'll be a King on July 1, 3 year deal.

Parch

Okay, but to me, Draisaitl is as good as any player we'd pick at #1 in the future, and unlike said future lottery pick, he's a sure thing.
If a team is going to pick in the 2nd half of the first round then offer sheets for quality players should be part of the strategy. Non-lottery picks are waaay overrated. There is no guarantee you'll get a highly productive player once you get into the 2nd half of the first round.

Just watching the draft this year and halfway through the first round and some players best projections were to be 3rd line players. I know this was a bad draft year but history continues to prove that first rounders can just as likely be a bust than provide anything useful. Play the crap shoot if you must, but swapping out gambles for a sure thing via offer sheet sounds like a pretty smart plan to me.

Solo

Man Thornton's career is insane. It boggles my mind that he's been in SJ 4 years longer now than he was in Boston. 7.5 years in Boston, 11.5 years in SJ.

19 year career, 38 years old in 3 days, and put up 82 points a year ago. Also interesting stat: his best season was the one he was traded in lol. 125 points in 83 games between Boston and SJ.

Socreges

Banned
What the hell? I used to be able to type a player's name and "db" and one of the first, if not the first, results would be their hockeydb page. Now I don't get that result at all and may instead get a draft year page from hockeydb. 🤔

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What the hell? I used to be able to type a player's name and "db" and one of the first, if not the first, results would be their hockeydb page. Now I don't get that result at all and may instead get a draft year page from hockeydb. ��

which search engine?

if google... better to just type in elite and go to eliteprospects

What the hell? I used to be able to type a player's name and "db" and one of the first, if not the first, results would be their hockeydb page. Now I don't get that result at all and may instead get a draft year page from hockeydb. 🤔

weird, still works for me

And whoa, I didn't realise Benoit Pouliot was drafted 4th overall

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
And salary information, etc. But it's messy on mobile and unintuitive.

eh i find it works find on mobile as long as you're not actually using anything on the site

gets messy when trying to search

but for quick informational reference it's unparalleled.

this is a snap of both db and elite of timothy liljegren's stats... one tells me absolutely nothing

liljegren_zps5yan8rvy.jpg~original

Socreges

Banned
eh i find it works find on mobile as long as you're not actually using anything on the site

gets messy when trying to search

but for quick informational reference it's unparalleled.

this is a snap of both db and elite of timothy liljegren's stats... one tells me absolutely nothing
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Stuff like the Pouliot buyout is going to become more common for Edmonton as time goes on. Mind you, he's no big loss for Edmonton to begin with but I think this is a sign of future off seasons will be like for the Oilers (IE trading or buying out players for salary cap space.)

Top Bottom