• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Coda

Can someone help me? Im stuck on the photographs quest, Ive done the desert and amusement park ones, but i have no idea how to get to the other one.

Any help?

I'm at the same part as well, I'm at a crack in the wall leading out to that photograph and near an elevator where I can jump off.

I need help with a side quest! I dunno if it's exclusive to branch B or what, but the three red dots appeared on my map.

It's three "wise" robots standing on high areas but they refuse to respond to 9S whenever he talks to them. I can clearly damage them, but I dunno what to do with this.

Any help would be super appreciated. I have no clue what to do.

EDIT: NEVER MIND. I GOT IT.

Kanann

I need help with a side quest! I dunno if it's exclusive to branch B or what, but the three red dots appeared on my map.

It's three "wise" robots standing on high areas but they refuse to respond to 9S whenever he talks to them. I can clearly damage them, but I dunno what to do with this.

Any help would be super appreciated. I have no clue what to do.

hack them

Squishy3

For those who went through once and are on their second playthrough:
Am I screwed out of anything if I didn't kill those gold robots that showed up about halfway through? Just asking since I encountered some again right outside the apartment complex area in the desert.

jonjonaug

Did you manage complete the game dev machine quests?
I'm not sure how to help the machine find any bugs

#1 is to find a hole in the wall
#2 is to move to the very top of the screen, I think
I'm not sure what I did for #3 cause it ended almost immediately

For those who went through once and are on their second playthrough:
Am I screwed out of anything if I didn't kill those gold robots that showed up about halfway through? Just asking since I encountered some again right outside the apartment complex area in the desert.

You get some lines from all of them about how much of a monster you are. If you win against all of them you get a decently long scene. I don't think there are any real rewards for it other than the materials and machine cores they'll drop though.

I have said scene uploaded to twitter if you messed it up cause I thought it was funny/sad: https://twitter.com/jonjonaug/status/835253594655977475

Hybrid897

#1 is to find a hole in the wall
#2 is to move to the very top of the screen, I think
I'm not sure what I did for #3 cause it ended almost immediately

Thanks!

Just found a "hidden" enemy to fight. Gives pretty insane exp ~20k with my 50% exp chip.

The amusement park statue at the front. Not sure what steps are necessary but I did.

1. Clear the mobs around the statue
2. Remote control a normal machine ( I used the little dude on the stairs)
3. Use the machine to hack the statue, fight starts.

jonjonaug

Thanks!

Just found a "hidden" enemy to fight. Gives pretty insane exp ~20k with my 50% exp chip.

The amusement park statue at the front. Not sure what steps are necessary but I did.

1. Clear the mobs around the statue
2. Remote control a normal machine ( I used the little dude on the stairs)
3. Use the machine to hack the statue, fight starts.

Oh, that might explain the vids I've seen of people at level 99 fighting the hidden boss then.

bunkitz

Can anybody help me with the "Sartre's Melancholy" side quest? I'm trying to reach the girl in the dessert but no matter how I look at the map or wherever I go, I can't seem to find a path to her location...

jonjonaug

Can anybody help me with the "Sartre's Melancholy" side quest? I'm trying to reach the girl in the dessert but no matter how I look at the map or wherever I go, I can't seem to find a path to her location...

She's near the save point, around and to the left of the main path by a bunch of non-violent machines.

Mesharey

Is there fast travel?

I'm in the
robot village
and gave me something for the resistance, I think that's the main quest.

jonjonaug

Is there fast travel?

I'm in the
robot village
and gave me something for the resistance, I think that's the main quest.

You unlock it after a certain story event decently early on. I don't think any quests become locked off before it happens either, so you should be free to go ahead with the story until you reach that point if running across the map every which way becomes a pain.

Mesharey

You unlock it after a certain story event decently early on. I don't think any quests become locked off before it happens either, so you should be free to go ahead with the story until you reach that point if running across the map every which way becomes a pain.
I see, thanks.

jonjonaug

Curious: Does anyone know if anyone has figured out the locked doors in the desert and factory basement yet? The ones with the machine who profusely apologizes that he can't let you in before blowing himself up. I can't find any info on them anywhere. I did read some speculation that they might be for DLC.

Tadaima

Just played this last night with my former boss. It was alright, but I fell asleep before we could reach the first save point.

TissueBox

Was just thinking it would be cool if this turned out well and Nier became like the Persona of Drakengard games. ^^' (Ie becomes a full blown spin-off franchise.) If Taro's voice can be translated with at least this level of refinement in future works, it would be a gold mine.

Curious: Does anyone know if anyone has figured out the locked doors in the desert and factory basement yet? The ones with the machine who profusely apologizes that he can't let you in before blowing himself up. I can't find any info on them anywhere. I did read some speculation that they might be for DLC.

No clue. Thought they'd be available in other routes, but I guess not?

If they are meant for DLC that would be great, any prospect for more content for this game has me interested. Have they announced any DLC besides cosmetic ones though? I forget..

EDIT: Oh and there's also one in the
forest
btw, behind a waterfall. If my memory serves me anyway.

jonjonaug

There's hidden bosses in this game?!?

BIG SPOILERS

Two fights against Emil. One is a fight against regular train Emil the other is against the Emil heads in the desert who are basically a much harder version of that flying worm fight on route C/D. The second fight has a bitchin remix of Emil's theme.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i hope reviewers know about the fact that there are multiple endings and side stuff.

In a few reviews of the first game, they shut off the game and made the review without knowing that there was a newgame plus mode

jonjonaug

i hope reviewers know about the fact that there are multiple endings and side stuff.

In a few reviews of the first game, they shut off the game and made the review without knowing that there was a newgame plus mode

There's literally a message that comes up after clearing ending A that says "hey thanks for playing this far, there's a lot more after this so please keep playing this is definitely not the end".

TissueBox

Whoever reviews the game by virtue of one route deserves a facepalm, 'specially after what Nier hopefully taught some people. Plus if they did do that there would be backlash lol...peel it, folks, peel!!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wow, upgrading Engine Blade to the max level
makes all the damage/healing numbers displayed in the FFXV font and makes your dodge look like warp moves from XV

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This got me thinking, will the future upcoming SE games use the open world approach? FF went openworld, NieR went openworld, I supposed DQ and KH will go openworld?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This got me thinking, will the future upcoming SE games use the open world approach? FF went openworld, NieR went openworld, I supposed DQ and KH will go openworld?

Not every game has to be open world. Nier is open world cause the original game was open world. DQ was already 'open world' per se, or open area atleast. And KH4 is going to have much bigger worlds with supposedly lesser or no loading screens, but unless they tried to replicate NMS, there would be no point to have an open world

JayEH

There's literally a message that comes up after clearing ending A that says "hey thanks for playing this far, there's a lot more after this so please keep playing this is definitely not the end".

The way it's signed Square enix PR makes me wonder if that only reviewers are supposed to see this and maybe they'll patch it out later haha.

pezzie

Just got ending A in my game, clocked in at about 15 hours.

Man this game is a blast to play. The shmup sections are totally awesome. I think I'll take a break for tonight and start route B tomorrow.

The music is like candy for my ears. I love this soundtrack. I never played the original Nier so I only enjoyed its soundtrack through youtube, but this one is pretty incredible so far.

So for people who played the original, does this game feel like a true nier sequel or more of a spiritual sequel without spoiling. Everything I've seen of it (which has not been spoilers) look like it has the flavor but I don't see any direct connections.

jonjonaug

So for people who played the original, does this game feel like a true nier sequel or more of a spiritual sequel without spoiling. Everything I've seen of it (which has not been spoilers) look like it has the flavor but I don't see any direct connections.

...sorta a little of both? Consequences of events in Nier's backstory and the game itself set up this game's story and this definitely takes place in the same world. It's so far in the future from Nier that there aren't very many direct connections, but there are some.

jonjonaug

Is that
Devola
and
Popola
at the rear-end of the camp? :O

Simple answer:
Yeah it's them. They don't do much until later in the game though.

Bit more detailed spoiler-ish answer:
Well, it's the same model anyway. The ones you know died in the original Nier. These ones mostly just trudge along through life feeling massive guilt every day about how their models fucked everything up while being looked down on by everyone else in the Resistance.

Actual late-game spoilers:
That fakeout when they confront you right before you enter the final area and you're thinking "oh shit do I have to kill these two again" before they run past you and start wrecking machines was fantastic. Hope that remix of their theme is on the OST.

TissueBox

Considering when the game takes place and how the scenario is set up it works as more of a spiritual successor, but it's definitely a sequel. One of the cool things about the game is how it shows how different the world's problems have become specifically, but the events of the first Nier still leave a legacy. How this is relayed in either obvious or maybe not-so-obvious ways you'll find out when you play the game.

After playing I had to brush up on some of my series lore though, lol, it's been a while. Blink and you might miss something after all.

Jiraiza

So where can Taro take the Nier universe at this point? Humanity's boned, and the only things left alive on Earth are androids and machines. I'm not too familiar with the first Nier, but even if ending E wrapped up on a hopeful and happy note, the state of Earth is still a pretty depressing reality they have to deal with and that humans were extinct a long time ago.

There were some references like the angelic language and Accord from Drakengard based on what I know about that game, so it still feels like there are plenty of things to explore in this timeline. Though I guess this won't matter if Square-Enix doesn't let him make another game.

Game's definitely got me interested in the whole Drakengard/NieR universe but I'm not sure if I want to involve myself in all that cross-media Taro's got going with the franchise.

Slater

Banned
So where can Taro take the Nier universe at this point? Humanity's boned, and the only things left alive on Earth are androids and machines. I'm not too familiar with the first Nier, but even if ending E wrapped up on a hopeful and happy note, the state of Earth is still a pretty depressing reality they have to deal with and that humans were extinct a long time ago.

There were some references like the angelic language and Accord from Drakengard based on what I know about that game, so it still feels like there are plenty of things to explore in this timeline. Though I guess this won't matter if Square-Enix doesn't let him make another game.

He might not make another Nier game. If he does though, anyone familiar with the first Nier's backstory would love a prequel to the original.

1 android and 4 "humans" duking it out with a red eyed salt monster in post apocalyptic Jerusalem, and that's only the climax

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda bummed at the repeated boss fights. I'm fairly early on though, so we'll see. I love love love what they do with perspective and the different flight modes in this game. I hope there's more of this as the game goes on a less wondering across a big empty world.

It's super cool to see Platinum doing something radically different, though.

Man, so I'm super close to the end of branch B (I think?), and just got some stuff.

Finally getting a proper explanation for what happened to humanity and it being what I suspected: this was all just an excuse to cover for the fact that papa NieR ultimately doomed the world, eventually resulting in the extinction of humanity/anything resembling humanity. I love the idea that this was all just a big PR play to give morale back to the androids.

jonjonaug

Game's definitely got me interested in the whole Drakengard/NieR universe but I'm not sure if I want to involve myself in all that cross-media Taro's got going with the franchise.

Play: Drakengard 3 and Nier.
Read or play: The Dark Id's Drakengard 1 LP or play it yourself if you're feeling particularly masochistic.
Read: Grimoire Nier (the Nier guidebook) after you finish Nier. Drakengard 3's character short stories after you finish Drakengard 3.

deim0s

@jonjonaug

Thanks, ain't gonna quote it - as I might read the other two paragraphs. Hope they do/mean something significant during the game.

Caim

If you go fishing in
the sewer leading to the Amusement Park
you can find the
Iron Pipe from Nier.

Top Bottom