• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Small question for those on route B and beyond!

Is there a chip that let you see the locked treasure chest on the map? Thanks!

Also, where are all the
golden machines? i beat one in city ruins, one in flooded city and one in the desert

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Man, so I'm super close to the end of branch B (I think?), and just got some stuff.

Finally getting a proper explanation for what happened to humanity and it being what I suspected: this was all just an excuse to cover for the fact that papa NieR ultimately doomed the world, eventually resulting in the extinction of humanity/anything resembling humanity. I love the idea that this was all just a big PR play to give morale back to the androids.

That is what makes the entire game for me.

the entire elephant in the room throughout all the events which makes the game so powerful in general is that all this shit is going down just in response to the death of humanity.

The characters muse on humanity's pros and cons, they seek to emulate them and the machines themselves gain human consciousness, they fight for them, thinking they are protecting something precious yet there are no more humans. These pieces of metal shaped like humans are just remnants of a dead species long since perished from the universe thousands upon thousands of years beforehand

Everything the characters experience, their pain, their sorrow, everything is just a shadow of a relic that doesn't even matter and has no meaning.

In that way, this game represents Nier just as much as the original Nier did, in that sense of hopelessness

TissueBox

@ the review:

Regarding a glitch and lack of autosave: I FEEL YOUR PAIN, reviewer!!

(It was only one glitch but man I was half-asleep and stressing out lol. Thankfully didn't encounter any others after that.)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have to spend time with the side quests, or is the main quest playable enough just by following the main thread? I like running into higher level areas and levelling up on my own, but the fetch quests are a bit much. (And there doesn't seem to be much interesting narrative content attached them. Does that change?)

Monocle

So how does this game compare to the likes of Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta? A meaty combat system? Replay value beyond the new game plus content? A good number of unique weapons and accessories or combat-modifying add-ons? Any unique strengths beyond what those other titles offer?

Inuhanyou

So how does this game compare to the likes of Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta? A meaty combat system? Replay value beyond the new game plus content? A good number of unique weapons and accessories or combat-modifying add-ons?

THis game is not intending to emulate the combat depth of bayonetta or metal gear rising. The gameplay is simplified by comparison.

Rather than this game having bayonetta or metal gear combat, this game has nier combat with platinum style.

LotusHD

Banned
Listening to the first Nier's OST, and I'm just really having a hard picturing this game "beating" it overall. Like it has a few songs I've heard so far that definitely equals it, but as a whole, I'm doubtful. It doesn't have to of course, it's likely to be my favorite compared to virtually anything else this year, but man, if it did...

Squire

Banned
Listening to the first Nier's OST, and I'm just really having a hard picturing this game "beating" it overall. Like it has a few songs I've heard so far that definitely equals it, but as a whole, I'm doubtful. It doesn't have to of course, it's likely to be my favorite compared to virtually anything else this year, but man, if it did...

Persona 5

LotusHD

Banned
I said virtually for a reason. It's the only other notable contender lol

That being said, my preferences definitely lean towards this game's OST, but we'll see.

Jocund

Am I missing out on anything amazing sidequest wise if I just truck through Route B?
9S isn't really doing it for me

to quote myself, when i was responding to someone saying the ost is equal or even better than the first one :

can't really agree here! While i love Automata's music (only did ending A though) and they're truly amazing! It really has hard time reaching the bar that the first one installed!

Of course it's just my opinion, but the remixes were not better than the originals, and a lot a music just tried to be like the first nier without bringing anything new! And they didn't fit as well with the event that occurs in the game!

I sound harsh i know, it's just that the first raised the bar so high, it's pretty hard to attain the same level! But again, let's all agree on this, THE MUSIC ARE AMAZING, NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT! And it's also way better than the drakengard 3 soundtrack!

Moonkid

I'm pretty hyped but I feel ya. I know it's gonna knock my socks off but idk if it'll be able to match tracks like The Incomplete Stone and Blu-bird. They have such distinct and memorable sounds to them. They're not just weird for the sake of being weird either.

TissueBox

Do you have to spend time with the side quests, or is the main quest playable enough just by following the main thread? I like running into higher level areas and levelling up on my own, but the fetch quests are a bit much. (And there doesn't seem to be much interesting narrative content attached them. Does that change?)

Totally optional, if you wanna blast through the main story blast through it. Granted some upgrades and plug-in chips are recommended of course so the side rewards help.

I still have a couple side quests to do myself, but of the ones I have played, I don't think you'd be especially impressed with one if you're not by the other, they're mostly consistent in that regard. There are a few gems though, depends on how willing you are to get to them.

Inuhanyou

I dunno guys, i've been listening to
"Copied City"
on repeat for 24 hours straight. I think i might love this soundtrack as much as the original

LotusHD

Banned
to quote myself, when i was responding to someone saying the ost is equal or even better than the first one :

Yea I've read all the posts here, I think literally only one person said they preferred it more. It's all subjective though, but I can't wait to hear the entire thing so I can decide.

I'm pretty hyped but I feel ya. Tracks like The Incomplete Stone and Blu-bird have such distinct and memorable sounds to them. They're not just weird for the sake of being weird either.

Yea that's true.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just finished route B. That preview made me really excited!
Hiw long is the third playthrough?

wmlk

A lot of tracks are pretty close arrangements of the first game's themes and don't end up being as memorable. I've also noticed a lot of themes don't end up sounding as airy or ethereal as the first game's tracks. Sounds more mechanized and aggressive, which I guess would fit the theme.

The Opera singer boss track from E3 2016 is probably my favourite. I think the second singer (not Emi Evans) kind of sours it for me. Reminds me of this theme for sure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTdDaX1xr1o

LotusHD

Banned
A lot of tracks are pretty close arrangements of the first game's themes and don't end up being as memorable. I've also noticed a lot of themes don't end up sounding as airy or ethereal as the first game's tracks. Sounds more mechanized and aggressive, which I guess would fit the theme.

The Opera singer boss track from E3 2016 is probably my favourite. I think the second singer (not Emi Evans) kind of sours it for me. Reminds me of this theme for sure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTdDaX1xr1o

Yea so far the Opera boss and the Amusement park one are the standouts for me, of what I remember anyways. The Opera boss in particular is my favorite so far (Haven't listened to that many though tbh), and not necessarily just because the original track is awesome on its own, but because of how much more awesome it can get when you actually fight the boss in-game lol

I dunno guys, i've been listening to
"Copied City"
on repeat for 24 hours straight. I think i might love this soundtrack as much as the original

Don't think I've listened to that as of yet.

same here! This is also my favourite track as for now! (only did route A)! I don't like the new singer though, fortunately she's only in a few song!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Totally optional, if you wanna blast through the main story blast through it. Granted some upgrades and plug-in chips are recommended of course so the side rewards help.

I still have a couple side quests to do myself, but of the ones I have played, I don't think you'd be especially impressed with one if you're not by the other, they're mostly consistent in that regard. There are a few gems though, depends on how willing you are to get to them.
Thanks for the reply. If it was a quieter time I'd spent the time having a look, but there are *so many* games right now, I think I'll pass.

jonjonaug

Just finished route B. That preview made me really excited!
Hiw long is the third playthrough?

In terms of actual story content it's about the same as one playthrough of A/B, but overall it's shorter due to fewer and shorter sidequests as well as having all fast travel points open from the getgo.

wmlk

I'm mostly surprised and kinda disappointed how much of it is such a very faithful rearrangement of the original game's themes. The original's themes are so strong, and there's little variation to make it memorable or something you can distinguish.

The Opera boss and stuff like that are standouts. It reminds me of the desert dungeon boss (so good) from the original but is clearly an original composition.

I'm mostly surprised and kinda disappointed how much of it is such a very faithful rearrangement of the original game's themes. The original's themes are so strong, and there's little variation to make it memorable or something you can distinguish.

i wonder if it's yoko taro and keiichi okabe choice or just square enix that said to them : "the soundtrack is the most successfull thing about the first game, do a bunch of remixes, it will please them!"

I'm also happy that i didn't watch any trailers, because i would have been pissed to spoil myself my favourite track so early one, haha

pezzie

As someone that only experienced the original Nier's soundtrack through youtube since I never played it, I feel like I prefer this one. It may be different if I actually played the original Nier though.

So many of this game's soundtrack sticks out in my mind. The Amusement Park and e3 boss tracks are obvious, but the track when you fight the
machine cult in the factory
was also incredible, as well as the boss for that section
being that song from the first gameplay trailer shown of this game

Got Ending A at about 20 hours in. Game is super fun and addicting so far. Here's some thoughts:

Gameplay: Fast and Smooth, pretty much exactly what I wanted out of a sequel to NieR. Gamplay shifts are pretty cool too. I think all of the bosses have been okay so far. The only one I wasn't really feeling was
A2
. The gameplay drops frames every now and then but then again I don't really notice cause anything above 40fps looks fine to me (On OG PS4)

Music: Okay so, I LOVE the original games soundtrack. But I feel that Automata's OST is a better game soundtrack. NieR had too many songs that were either too short or you heard looped way too often to the point where I started to get sick of it. Automata's OST hasn't done that to me and I think it's been consistently good and I love the new singers voice.
Pascal's Village and Copied City are the two big stand outs so far

Story:
Absolutely loving it so far. Ending A did exactly what it did in the other games: leave me with questions and wanting to find more. I really like 2B and 9S as a main duo. They've had some pretty good banter so far. I'm interested to see more of Adam, Eve, and A2 and I really want to know what the deal is with the aliens and humanity. Can't wait

Sidequest: I literally wouldn't be doing these if there wasn't a fast travel system. They do a really good job at fleshing out the world and making me invested

LotusHD

Banned
I haven't played the first Nier, so this definitely gives Nier Automata an opening lol

Like besides the amazing Opera boss, the demo/beginning section has that great moment where the music begins right as it lands, which was so fucking hype to me. Listening to an OST is swell and all, but you can't replicate those kind of moments as easily if you're not playing the game itself.

Qvoth

i think i've come to accept that i prefer original nier's ost because they're more sad and slow
most of automata's ost are more up tempo
wtzgU.gif

I haven't played the first Nier, so this definitely gives Nier Automata an opening lol

Like besides the Opera boss, the demo/beginning section has that great moment where the music begins right as it lands, which was so fucking hype to me. Listening to an OST is swell and all, but you can't replicate those kind of moments as easily if you're not playing the game itself.

you really should play the first one while waiting for automata, please! :D

Moonkid

I actually bought Nier on a whim because I heard it on Youtube. It was one of those 'best _ song" type videos that I usually don't care for but this had me hooked. Managed to grab a copy of the game and the rest is history :)

i think i've come to accept that i prefer original nier's ost because they're more sad and slow
most of automata's ost are more up tempo
wtzgU.gif

it's not difficult to accept, nier soundtrack is a masterpiece that we only stumble upon once in a decade!

It's clearly one of ma favourite sountrack of all time! but Automata is still pretty fucking good, and there's lot of songs! Way better than drakengard 3 soundtrack

LotusHD

Banned
you really should play the first one while waiting for automata, please! :D

I can't. I bought the game to play it, but I lack a 360... My two friends who I was hoping would lend me theirs, either lost it, or it's being used by their siblings. As for me, the one I used to have doesn't work.

So I'm probably going to end up just watching it before the game comes out lol

I actually bought Nier on a whim because I heard it on Youtube. It was one of those 'best _ song" type videos that I usually don't care for but this had me hooked. Managed to grab a copy of the game and the rest is history :)

I essentially bought the game because of its OST as well. Well that and GAF was always praising it as a cult classic.

pezzie

I can't. I bought the game to play it, but I lack a 360... My two friends who I was hoping would lend me theirs, either lost it, or it's being used by their siblings. As for me, the one I used to have doesn't work.

I essentially bought the game because of its OST as well. Well that and GAF was always praising it as a cult classic.

It's not a video LP, but go with TheDarkId's fantastic LP:

https://lparchive.org/NIER/

One question before i go play the game again, hope someone will answer this time (not angry at all, it would just help me a bit, haha)

Is there a chip that let you see the locked treasure chest on the map? Thanks!

Also, where are all
the golden machines? i beat one in city ruins, one in flooded city and one in the desert

carda114

Hey folks, I'm playing through
Route B
currently and unlocking treasure chests. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how I might be able to get over to this one in the main city (spoilers for those who haven't gotten ending A):

http://i.imgur.com/OwacwS5.jpg

I'm not sure if I have the prowess to make it over there as I currently am.

Moonkid

I'd totally lend you my Xbox 360 if you lived in New Zealand haha.

Yeah I remember it being highly praised on the forum I used to frequent as well. A lot of it was about the narrative and without spoiling myself too much I was intrigued. Forgot about it until finding the aforementioned music on YT.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
In terms of actual story content it's about the same as one playthrough of A/B, but overall it's shorter due to fewer and shorter sidequests as well as having all fast travel points open from the getgo.
A took me 22 hours, B took me 6 (did all quesrs in both).
:p

Qvoth

so there's rearranged grandma, rearranged song of the ancients and kaine salvation in automata ost
here's hoping yonah, dispossesion and ashes of dreams are in there as well :p

addik

So, I just got Ending K right after doing Father Servo's 3rd side quest and I didnt save lol.

What a troll this game is.

Ferr986

Like besides the amazing Opera boss, the demo/beginning section has that great moment where the music begins right as it lands, which was so fucking hype to me. Listening to an OST is swell and all, but you can't replicate those kind of moments as easily if you're not playing the game itself.

Man if you love Nier OST just by youtubing it you would love it even more ingame. Lots of tracks are "dynamic" (like adding voice depending the situation, for example). The implementation of the soundtrack within the game is stellar.

Jiraiza

I would reserve your judgment until you listen to the songs in the context they need to be listened to. That enhances the feeling of the song. And then that will translate over to listening to the song on its own.

Needless to say, 15/10 OST, will be buying when it comes out. The usage of music in this game blows any other game out of the water, even Falcom games.

Since conversation has shifted somewhat towards the Soundtrack, I want to ask all of you to please remember to spoiler-tag new track names. (i.e:
Copied City
)

Names of Remixes & Arrangements of previous tracks should be fine.

On topic again: To those pointing it out, I honestly haven't heard or noticed too much repitition when it comes to the music in the game. There's the new arrangement of Song of the Ancients, but outside of that and maybe one or two others, it's all new music, is it not?

allbrancooke

Neo Member
Finishing up. Any info on
Endings N, and Y?
. Also any info on
How to fight truck Emil

It was super fun game. I think the themes get repetitive a bit. OST is great!

Anoxida

When do you get fast travel? Cant be bothered with these fetch quests until I can fast travel. The side quests are trash tier in this game sadly. Still im starting to fall in love with the game.

LotusHD

Banned
Man if you love Nier OST just by youtubing it you would love it even more ingame. Lots of tracks are "dynamic" (like adding voice depending the situation, for example). The implementation of the soundtrack within the game is stellar.

Yea I figured as much, guess I know what I have to do the lol

I would reserve your judgment until you listen to the songs in the context they need to be listened to. That enhances the feeling of the song. And then that will translate over to listening to the song on its own.

Needless to say, 15/10 OST, will be buying when it comes out. The usage of music in this game blows any other game out of the water, even Falcom games.

True...

jonjonaug

so there's rearranged grandma, rearranged song of the ancients and kaine salvation in automata ost
here's hoping yonah, dispossesion and ashes of dreams are in there as well :p

Those I don't think those are but
Emil (Despair) is a track

Finishing up. Any info on
Endings N, and Y?
. Also any info on
How to fight truck Emil

It was super fun game. I think the themes get repetitive a bit. OST is great!

Ending Y is related to the second secret boss. Big spoilers:
Emil's about to self destruct and you have to kill him to stop it. If you don't you get this ending.

Ending N you get if you (not big spoilers)
start massacring Pascal's village

Top Bottom