• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

Llyranor said:
Anyone play co-op yet? How's the netcode?
Ive yet to play with anyone from my region and hope to correct that tonight (PSN: Jack-Random), the little i did play was pretty damn laggy, but then again, i dont know where the host lived or what sort of connection he had.

We 'get it' ultim8p00, you're the most awesome ninja in the world. You may go back to play NG2 on Super Duper Master Ninja Mode now, thank you.

I'm playing for the first time on Warrior and it's a fairly good challenge. I find it a lot easier than NG, but then again I've played tons of NG/NGB/NGS before. It's definitely not a button masher.

ultim8p00

Banned
Llyranor said:
I don't like the sound of this.

Making the game less cheap is good, sure. Making the game more easy, definitely not.

Lack of trials and this, hmm. None too pleased.

Anyone play co-op yet? How's the netcode?

It's still enjoyable so don't take what I said too seriously if you are a casual player and you don't know the ropes yet. I beat Black and Sigma on Master Ninja, and I almost beat NGII, so I am fairly hardcore. But the difference is VERY jarring. I keep saying it, but ironically, it now feels like a deeper Dynasty Warriors.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What was Itagaki's old barometer for the difficulty levels??

Something like:

-Easy: I can beat it blindfolded and one-handed.
-Normal: I can be drunk and have no problems
-Hard: Just a little buzzed but I need to focus.
-Master Ninja: All interns must be at least 2 miles away for lack of distraction!

S1kkZ

wow, the framerate takes a nosedive in the
underwater/underground temple section, where you have to walk on the water
anybody else had this problem?

Llyranor

Well, I've played through NG2 on Warrior and went through a few levels on Mentor. Some elements were cheap, but overall the difficulty was great. I was hoping for a rebalance, not just a toning down.

DR2K

Banned
Jack Random said:
You deftly avoided the question re: you beating warrior already...

I'm on chapter 10 now (having gotten the game on Saturday), and while there are some points later on where you do need to work a little bit, you can mash in most cases.

I wasn't talking about warrior mode though.

That really isn't the case for most people, especially since reviews have said it was difficult. (and to most it will be)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tried out the PS3 demo yesterday. It was the very first time I got my hands into a Ninja Gaiden game.

Ugh.

Im a little pissed off at Gamestop..I had to ask the guy for my preorder card to get the special costume, get home scratch it off and I can't even read the code!! Ugh..

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
ultim8p00 said:
If you want to get a feel of how easy it is, just think of everything moving down two difficulty levels:

Path of the Master Nina (NGS2) = Path of the Warrior (NGII)
Path of the Mentor (NGS2) = Path of the Acolyte (NGII)
Path of the Warrior (NGS2) = Two levels below NGII's Acolyte
Path of the Acolyte (NGS2) = Four levels below NGII's Acolyte

It's definitely a button masher now. Going from the demo and the first few levels of warrior, there's no need for blocking or dodging on anything but Master Nina.
Based on the demo, this is completely wrong. Mentor is way harder then NG 2 (360) warrior mode.

RockmanWhore said:
If the game is as easy as people play, it's a shame that we can't play in mentor or master ninja right away :(
One thing that's turning me off buying the game right now, hopefully, the game saves wont be copy-protected, or you can at least unlock mentor by playing on acolyte.

Picked up my copy earlier today from GS. Free costume ftw! didnt get the CE for $10 more because im a cheap ass ftl =/

Nephews are borrowing the PS3 so I cant play it yet ;_;

I'm reading the back of the box and it doesnt mention custom soundtrack. Can anyone clarify this?

Canova

Banned
ultim8p00 said:
If you want to get a feel of how easy it is, just think of everything moving down two difficulty levels:

Path of the Master Nina (NGS2) = Path of the Warrior (NGII)
Path of the Mentor (NGS2) = Path of the Acolyte (NGII)
Path of the Warrior (NGS2) = Two levels below NGII's Acolyte
Path of the Acolyte (NGS2) = Four levels below NGII's Acolyte

It's definitely a button masher now. Going from the demo and the first few levels of warrior, there's no need for blocking or dodging on anything but Master Nina.

It's still enjoyable so don't take what I said too seriously if you are a casual player and you don't know the ropes yet. I beat Black and Sigma on Master Ninja, and I almost beat NGII, so I am fairly hardcore. But the difference is VERY jarring. I keep saying it, but ironically, it now feels like a deeper Dynasty Warriors.

don't make me laugh

Pimpbaa

Playing the game on acolyte and I find it much more enjoyable than the same difficulty in the original. I was dreading that stupid flying metallic worm thing because it was a brick wall in terms of progress for me before (almost gave up on the game). But was relieved to find out he wasn't much trouble at all in this game. Glad those trials are gone. Difficult sub missions just to get items that make the game easier? That made no sense (nor does it in any game). Also, as far as being a button masher, that's bullshit.

Loudninja

Pimpbaa said:
Playing the game on acolyte and I find it much more enjoyable than the same difficulty in the original. I was dreading that stupid flying metallic worm thing because it was a brick wall in terms of progress for me before (almost gave up on the game). But was relieved to find out he wasn't much trouble at all in this game. Glad those trials are gone. Difficult sub missions just to get items that make the game easier? That made no sense (nor does it in any game). Also, as far as being a button masher, that's bullshit.

Nice,the difficulty n the demo was just right to me. :)

Mrbob

Pimpbaa said:

Im pretty weaksauce now when it comes to games, but I laughed when I read this because I had the exact same issue. I gave up on NG2 as that boss fight pissed me off. I finished this section about a week ago and have been cruising till I hit chapter 8 and now I'm running into a bunch of missile barraging spamming military enemies. Pissing me off again.

Are these guys toned down in Sigma 2? Also it doesn't help my NG2 360 game keeps locking up on me lately, getting annoying. :/ No other games am I having an issue with!

Pimpbaa

Mrbob said:
Im pretty weaksauce now when it comes to games, but I laughed when I read this because I had the exact same issue. I gave up on NG2 as that boss fight pissed me off. I finished this section about a week ago and have been cruising till I hit chapter 8 and now I'm running into a bunch of missile barraging spamming military enemies. Pissing me off again.

Are these guys toned down in Sigma 2? Also it doesn't help my NG2 360 game keeps no locking on me lately, getting annoying. :/ No other games am I having an issue with!

Haven't got that far yet. But people said projectile spamming has been toned down, so I assume that means those guys too.

KGKK

Banned
Played the demo, fun game and Ayana's moves are sweet. I like the falons the best in the demo. My only problem is the camera of course.

Just got finished with Chapter 2. I don't like the fact that you can only upgrade one weapon "at a time" (so far only one upgrade) and I don't like that weapon upgrades are free. Essence is pretty much worthless now.

Oh, and there's an additional bow section! Because everyone loved them so much the first time around, right? I hope that isn't a sign of things to come...

kuYuri

iconoclast said:
Just got finished with Chapter 2. I don't like the fact that you can only upgrade one weapon "at a time" (so far only one upgrade) and I don't like that weapon upgrades are free. Essence is pretty much worthless now.

Essence is still good for UT attacks, right? :p

If the weapon upgrades are free, then what do you use the essence on? Items? Techniques? Sorry, I've only played NGS1 so I have no idea how essence worked in NG2.

:lol Goddamn the Lunar is as good as ever! In fact, it got buffed! They changed some of the inputs around from the looks of things, so XY will go directly into an Izuna setup, and the startup on it is quick. Of course I'm playing on Warrior (at least, I think I am) so I can't wait to see if it's still godly on the higher difficulties.

Mrbob said:
How does the weapon upgrade system work now?

Once in a while (once per chapter, aside from chapter 1 so far) you'll come across a Muramasa statue that glows blue. You can talk to it or whatever and choose one weapon you want to upgrade, free of charge.

edit: Looks like it cockblocks you from upgrading past Level 2 for a while as well. Just started Chapter 4 and I can't upgrade my Dragon Sword or Lunar.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
If the weapon upgrades are free, then what do you use the essence on? Items? Techniques? Sorry, I've only played NGS1 so I have no idea how essence worked in NG2.

He only has 4 items in his shop so far; a healing herb, the healing beads, devil mushroom and the Talisman of Rebirth. The thing is, all of them are cheap as hell. I've got like 60k essence and nothing to spend it on :lol

S1kkZ

finished chapter 9
airship
, more impressions:

-game sometimes has pretty bad framerate problems (when dead enemies explode or when you use the wind ninpo, its under 30fps, feels like bullet time)
-the weapon upgrade system sucks: you have to upgrade every weapon, before you can move on. (my sword is still level 2, i have to upgrade every other weapon to level 2 before i can upgrade to level 3)
-essence is useless
-the new levels with rachel and momji(?) suck. the levels are poorly designed and the new areas look pretty bad.
-they took a lot of stuff out (a lot of areas in the venice level, the fight against the
water dragon
was changed: you are now forced to stand on the plattform and shoot arrows).
-rocket launcher guys are less frequent and die pretty fast (still annoying)
-you can dodge or block every attack with little effort
-fight against the second airship boss still sucks

sound pretty negative, but the game is still fun. the problem is the lack of challenge. most of the time they didnt even try to fix the problems (they just took the area/enemy/boss out).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
canova said:
The way they implemented LoG and LoTG is really stupid. I ain't opening anymore boxes from now on

Like I said before, I love it. It means that you don't have to feel the need to stash them in your inventory as extra healing items. I'm neurotic when it comes to shit like that, and so I always have 5 extras by the end of the game in NG2... and I don't even use them all. A terrible waste.

I'm playing through the game and while I was, at first, quite miffed at the whole "free weapon upgrade at certain shops" mechanic, I kind of like it. It eliminates people farming. It eliminates the people trying to upgrade the lunar right away. The problem, of course, is that it makes essence virtually useless. I wish they'd implemented a ONE upgrade per blue statue, but it wasn't free.

In fact, I wish they'd taken it a step further. As people mentioned, Ryu is almost too godly in the beginning of Warrior. If they took away his Guillotine Throw or Izuna Drop until Upgrade 2, I think it would have been a little (legitimately, not cheaply) harder for newbies. Little tweaks like that would have made a huge difference. They tweaked the enemies, so they should have tweaked Ryu as well.

Canova

Banned
GuardianE said:
Like I said before, I love it. It means that you don't have to feel the need to stash them in your inventory as extra healing items. I'm neurotic when it comes to shit like that, and so I always have 5 extras by the end of the game in NG2... and I don't even use them all. A terrible waste.

The thing is that there are people, like me, who like to play with original life bar.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
canova said:
The thing is that there are people, like me, who like to play with original life bar.

... then just skip the chests. There's no conundrum at all because there was no reason to pick them up. If you're one of those people, you should already know where all the Life of the Gods are. Hell, even I know where they all are.

S1kkZ said:
finished chapter 9
airship
, more impressions:

-game sometimes has pretty bad framerate problems (when dead enemies explode or when you use the wind ninpo, its under 30fps, feels like bullet time)
-the weapon upgrade system sucks: you have to upgrade every weapon, before you can move on. (my sword is still level 2, i have to upgrade every other weapon to level 2 before i can upgrade to level 3)
-essence is useless
-the new levels with rachel and momji(?) suck. the levels are poorly designed and the new areas look pretty bad.
-they took a lot of stuff out (a lot of areas in the venice level, the fight against the
water dragon
was changed: you are now forced to stand on the plattform and shoot arrows).
-rocket launcher guys are less frequent and die pretty fast (still annoying)
-you can dodge or block every attack with little effort
-fight against the second airship boss still sucks

sound pretty negative, but the game is still fun. the problem is the lack of challenge. most of the time they didnt even try to fix the problems (they just took the area/enemy/boss out).

Disappointing, but it still beats the 360 version in the ways that matter to me.

So I was just looking at the manual and I noticed an option in menu screen called "Chapter Challenge." I'm going to assume THAT's where you can replay each chapter, with set items or whatever, and be scored for karma, rather than the whole campaign start to finish. Just a guess though, so crisis averted?

PS. I kinda like Momiji. She's at least interesting to play as. And I just discovered that the boobaxis works during cutscenes :lol so ridiculous.

Loudninja

iconoclast said:
So I was just looking at the manual and I noticed an option in menu screen called "Chapter Challenge." I'm going to assume THAT's where you can replay each chapter, with set items or whatever, and be scored for karma, rather than the whole campaign start to finish. Just a guess though, so crisis averted?

PS. I kinda like Momiji. She's at least interesting to play as. And I just discovered that the boobaxis works during cutscenes :lol so ridiculous.

Where have you been? most of the stuff you mention was already known :lol

Loudninja said:
Where have you been? most of the stuff you mention was already known :lol

A few pages ago someone mentioned that there was no karma scoring for story mode. I haven't seen anything about "Chapter Challenge" since then.

I skipped all the cutscenes in the demo so I never bothered to try out the boobaxis crap.

Canova

Banned
GuardianE said:
... then just skip the chests. There's no conundrum at all because there was no reason to pick them up. If you're one of those people, you should already know where all the Life of the Gods are. Hell, even I know where they all are.

no, that's not true, there are differences, take the flails for example, it's in a box in ch 3, before the gate.

but i will skip the boxes in mentor and mn

Loudninja

iconoclast said:
A few pages ago someone mentioned that there was no karma scoring for story mode. I haven't seen anything about "Chapter Challenge" since then.

I skipped all the cutscenes in the demo so I never bothered to try out the boobaxis crap.

Yeah it was in the reviews :)

S1kkZ said:
That sucks balls!
S1kkZ said:
the fight against the
water dragon
was changed: you are now forced to stand on the platform and shoot arrows).
I don't know if that's worse or better.

Just beat the water dragon. Definitely improved over NG2. The area of land you can fight him on is a little bigger and he has a couple new attacks. The hand cannon is pretty much just a replacement for the bow UT for boss fights, as I figured.

I hope the 'free upgrades and one at a time' nonsense grows on me, because I'm liking most of the changes so far. Of course, the real test is going to be Master Ninja...

Loudninja said:
Yeah it was in the reviews :)

Oh, well I don't read reviews so that explains that!

Mileena

Banned
That is the dumbest fucking idea ever. What a huge fail.

firen

The god of war colossus fight in this game is pretty lame in my opinion but the combat im enjoying overall so far.

methos75

Banned
Some of the ideas in NGS2 are beyond lame, sad to see Itagaki go because if the current time can butcher an already made game this badly I shudder at what they will do with an all new NG game. And seriously what is up with this game and my 60GB PS3, the game chugs at loading sat the simplest things like messages and its completely froze twice, like to blame my PS3 but this is the only game that does this.

Top Bottom