• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 Official Thread

S1kkZ said:
-the weapon upgrade system sucks: you have to upgrade every weapon, before you can move on. (my sword is still level 2, i have to upgrade every other weapon to level 2 before i can upgrade to level 3)

WTF!!? :-/

iconoclast said:
So I was just looking at the manual and I noticed an option in menu screen called "Chapter Challenge." I'm going to assume THAT's where you can replay each chapter, with set items or whatever, and be scored for karma, rather than the whole campaign start to finish. Just a guess though, so crisis averted?

PS. I kinda like Momiji. She's at least interesting to play as. And I just discovered that the boobaxis works during cutscenes :lol so ridiculous.

This is a smart move on their part. I like it.

Pachinko

Well I've burned through up to chapter 4 before I got killed by ninja dogs.. decided that losing the lowest of ninja life forms was a sign that I should quit for today ( I'm a little tired) but yeah observations so far-

The game is definetly easier, path of the warrior on sigma 2 so far .. well I never played acolyte on 360 but I'd say it must be closer to that then the NG2 warrior mode. Everything is just flat out easier this time around, the large lifebars for most enemies at the start become a non issue the second you upgrade any weapon to level 2.

Getting to the point though-

+ Graphics, despite screen tearing and slowdown are WAY better then the xbox version, it's amazing what an actual lighting model can do for a games atmosphere. 720p makes everything that much sharper
+ speed is still about the same as it was in the 360 version despite my initial concerns
+ so far little bits and pieces have been edited or cut- in stage 2 you might recall needlessly having to shoot arrows to gain access to the red and blue orbs that eventually make the yellow orb glow so youcan shoot it and jump inside the dragons mouth to finally go face the boss... now you merely have to go touch the orbs in each room and the door opens for you once the enemies are dead, another change in stage 3 (new york 1) the entire section with the fans no longer has ANY enemies you just walk in and shoot the fans and go on your way... perhaps this was done because the room pretty much existed just to kick dudes into the fan and watch them get mulched...
+/- the difficulty could be construed in different ways I suppose, I came very close to death on about 4 seperate occasions through to the end of chapter 3 before finally dying once on the roboseaman thing ( I failed to roll out of the way of his super attack that does 60% damage) and through abit of careless timing I got my balls chewed off by the last remaining ninja dog in one of the encounters in stage 4 but on the whole I'm finding the encounters are placed much more fairly. Yeah it's easier but there's not as much enemy memorization as there was before , fewer enemies that mostly do less damage as well as fewer cheap hits. The game has effectivly been nutured to a degree that I feel anyone with a bit of gaming exerience should be able to get through warrior. I don't think this is a big issue, save the super hard stuff for mentor and master ninja for those that want the challenge.
- essence is pretty much worthless now, since upgrades are free and you can't get more then 1 per stage you'll never get overpowered like you could in standard ng2. The chests scattered throughout the levels hand out more then enough healing items so far, I might be eating my words later but yeah, I haven't bought anything yet.

Based on my limited playtime so far though I'd handidly recommend this over the 360 version , it looks better ,plays as good or better and has a bit more content.

You don't need to upgrade all weapons to level 2 before you can move to level 3. I think I'm chapter 10 now and I just unlocked dragon sword lvl3. It was impossible before that point however.

I just checked the trophy list, and they've fixed the shitty "finish the game with only X weapon" that forced you to make thousands boring playtrough, instead you have to kill 1000 ennemies with each weapon. I might try to platinum this baby. There is no way in hell I was going to replay the game with just one weapon on 360, it's boring to play with the same weapon for such a long time. And it's not like it's that challenging since you can achieve this with the baby difficulty modes...

I see that they've fixed the shitty water dragon boss too :D I'm broke, but I think I'll buy this anyway, it seems like an improvement over NG2 in every imaginable area.

Canova

Banned
The weapon system really takes a step backward in my opinion. I don't know why the fuck Hayashi did this. It's really stupid

- One upgrade at a time
- No new game plus
- IS and WS are removed

He tried too hard to balance the game, he ended up ruining it

Loudninja

canova said:
The weapon system really takes a step backward in my opinion. I don't know why the fuck Hayashi did this. It's really stupid

- One upgrade at a time
- No new game plus
- IS and WS are removed

He tried too hard to balance the game, he ended up ruining it

Oh please.

fernoca

Pachinko said:
Well I've burned through up to chapter 4 before I got killed by ninja dogs.. decided that losing the lowest of ninja life forms was a sign that I should quit for today ( I'm a little tired)
Don't be too hard on yourself though, the Ninja Dogs..ARE a bitch.

Llyranor

I'm not sure why all these little changes were even necessary. All they needed to do was tone down the projectile spam and improve the bosses. Maybe add a diff level below acolyte for those who'd need it. Spend the rest of their resources on maxing the framerate and netcode.

Hmm.

acevans2

Aaaarrgh. I just watched the GT review and it made me want it so bad, but I can't afford another $60 for this year. If there are any deals on it, someone needs to make a thread announcing so in all capital leaders and PM me about it. :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
NinjaCodah said:
You don't need to upgrade all weapons to level 2 before you can move to level 3. I think I'm chapter 10 now and I just unlocked dragon sword lvl3. It was impossible before that point however.

I think this needs to be reiterated. People were jumping to conclusions about the upgrade system. Wasn't it this way in the original Ninja Gaiden? You had to reach a certain story point before you could upgrade certain weapons? That wasn't a bad thing, folks. You're just used to having your Uber weapon as soon as you pick it up.

fernoca

GuardianE said:
I think this needs to be reiterated. People were jumping to conclusions about the upgrade system. Wasn't it this way in the original Ninja Gaiden? You had to reach a certain story point before you could upgrade certain weapons? That wasn't a bad thing, folks. You're just used to having your Uber weapon as soon as you pick it up.
Yeah..from what I remember, you could only upgrade the weapons up to a certain level..the more you play, the more chapters you complete..the more upgrades you can do, items you can get, weapons you can buy, etc...

By the way, is there's a trophy (like there was an achievement) for playing the entire game with the same weapon?

Ugh. Just got done with the Rachel level. Let's just say if I never play that again, it will be too soon.

fernoca said:
By the way, is there's a trophy (like there was an achievement) for playing the entire game with the same weapon?

There's trophies for getting 1000 kills with each weapon instead.

kuYuri

I don't see why no new game+ is a big deal. NGB didn't have it and bringing it back in NGII didn't really change my opinion of it. The only reason I used it in NGII was to get the Weapon Master achievements.

I'm assuming weapon kills/izuna kills/etc. carry over into chapter select.

BeeDog

a Master Ninja said:
You can bring all your maxed out gear into any level with this right? If so, I retract my disappointment in the lack of a new game+.

Yeah, that does sound pretty good. Did the NG+ in the original make any additional changes over the course of the game, or was it simply to replay the game with upgraded weapons?

BeeDog said:
Yeah, that does sound pretty good. Did the NG+ in the original make any additional changes over the course of the game, or was it simply to replay the game with upgraded weapons?
It was the only way to get the Dark Dragon Blade, if I recall.
Himuro said:
Replay with upgraded weapons plus new costumes for beating the game.
That's an improvement, then. That way the shitty chapters only have to be played once.

Since I'm still waiting for Gamestop to receive my copy, can anyone confirm if the Xbox 360 Elite billboard is in the game, as this old Sigma 2 screenshot suggests?

GOD DAMN PSN NETWORK ERRORS

First time was right after a save point, so I was only mildly annoyed. Now 10 minutes later right after I kill Genshin I get hit with another network error. So annoying.

If you get a network error while playing it kicks you back to the title screen, for those who don't know.

iconoclast said:

First time was right after a save point, so I was only mildly annoyed. Now 10 minutes later right after I kill Genshin I get hit with another network error. So annoying.

If you get a network error while playing it kicks you back to the title screen, for those who don't know.
Why would that happen? Would it have to do with measures to prevent leaderboard cheating?

LordK

a Master Ninja said:
Why would that happen? Would it have to do with measures to prevent leaderboard cheating?

There aren't leaderboards for story though :p.

The game does warn you it'll kick you back to the title if you sign out though. Perhaps it has to do with tying data to your PSN tag.

fernoca

Forgot the "preorder costume code" was activated today..just downloaded it, and not bad..that it's over 9MB..I thought it was going to be just a '100kb key'

played for a bit and got to mission 9

it is alot more balanced, flows better, etc. they got rid of some pointless obstacles. i haven't died so i don't know what reload times are like, or if you retry at the boss, which i assume happens...

the extra content so far hasn't bothered me at all. doesn't feel like tacked on BS shit like sigma 1.

upgrade system is sort of annoying, since i have alot of money and nothing to do with it.

bummer about the automatic use of extra health and ninpo items.

the loading times for items and occasional areas is POOR, and there is a good helping of tearing. certain sound effects don't seem to have the same punch.

no ranks for missions or anything either which is missed.

kiryogi

Banned
Alright maybe I'm retarded. But how do you finish off the Buddha boss? I was able to do it in the demo, but here I just slash at him and he goes down. No super cool sequence where Hayabusa leaps on him or anything D: I've redone the fight several times now.

methos75

Banned
fernoca said:
Forgot the "preorder costume code" was activated today..just downloaded it, and not bad..that it's over 9MB..I thought it was going to be just a '100kb key'

yeah the costume is pretty fucking hot.

The_Dude

kiryogi said:
Alright maybe I'm retarded. But how do you finish off the Buddha boss? I was able to do it in the demo, but here I just slash at him and he goes down. No super cool sequence where Hayabusa leaps on him or anything D: I've redone the fight several times now.
Press triangle when you're near his head, after he collapses.

The_Dude

My mistake, I assumed you weren't sure how it was done in the demo, either, so sorry about that. Seems a very strange thing to remove from the final game, anyway.

WilyRook

iconoclast said:

Even during co-op?

The end of Ayane's level was kinda surprising...
Kasumi appears

The boss of her level is ridiculously easy too.

WilyRook said:
Even during co-op?

I haven't played co-op, but as soon as you start the game it says it will kick you back to the title screen if you sign out, so I assume so.

Fakto

Never played a Ninja Gaiden before. Last year I got NG Sigma as a present but I didn't even open the box. Now I'm interested in playing NGS2 ... Do you advice to play NGS first ? or better skip it and try NGS2 directly ?

methos75

Banned
Fakto said:
Never played a Ninja Gaiden before. Last year I got NG Sigma as a present but I didn't even open the box. Now I'm interested in playing NGS2 ... Do you advice to play NGS first ? or better skip it and try NGS2 directly ?

If you have, might as well play it and it is awesome

Fakto said:
How many spare controllers do you have?

Fakto said:
You can play them in any order you'd like as there aren't any story spoilers between the two. By most accounts NG1 is still far better polished than NGS2. On the other hand, the sequel to the original has improved combat to the point where some players have a hard time going back to the first game. Despite 2 being the easier game, you may be better served playing part 1 first. That way you can gain experience, get a proper feel for the series and learn basic fundamentals.

slade

kiryogi said:

There's two fights with that thing. Are you on the first or the second fight?

a Master Ninja said:
You can bring all your maxed out gear into any level with this right? If so, I retract my disappointment in the lack of a new game+.

Chapter Challenge automatically upgrade all your weapons to level 3. But you cannot save the game. There are check points if you die.

The game is pathetically easy. I've burned through Acolyte and Warrior already and my play time is only 13 hours.

micromagic said:
How many spare controllers do you have?

He won't be needing any spare controllers. The game was truly toned down for Ninja Dogs. Acolyte feels like the enemies are just there. Warrior feels like I'm a God with level 1 weapons.

Why even play on Acolyte, then?

Fakto said:
Thanks guys, I will give a shot at the NGS first then.

Regular ones ? 4, Why ?
He's intimating that the game is frustratingly difficult. Remember to block, stay alert, apply various combos and think about how the techniques that you learn can be used in and out of combat. Be creative and keep your eyes open while exploring. There are hidden items and paths strewn about the levels that are easily overlooked even though they seem bleedingly obvious once found.

Be patient, diligent and, most of all, try to keep the sucking to a minimum. Also, unlike most titles, the first boss is not an automatic gimme. That encounter gives you a good idea of what to expect from much of the rest of the game. I'd suggest sticking with normal difficulty as much as possible. Though it may seem hard at first, it's worth it and you may be surprised what you can do on that and higher difficulty levels.

Top Bottom