• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms Metroid: Samus Returns’ Fusion mode can only be unlocked by amiibo

100% gonna buy this game.

If this sells well we could get more Metroid games than just Prime 4.

Boycotting this game helps nobody at the end.

Make your voice clear on social media that this is shitty and lie about not buying it if needed.

People can do both. And it's fair for people to discuss this on a video game message board. Don't know why dudes always try to end the discussion so fast.

Don't want to end "the discussion" (I don't see much discussion here anyway, more like deadlocked opinions and a bunch of anger), but make sure that people are aware that putting your anger in an internet thread very rarely gets attention from people who should know about it. 😅 Even social media shitstorms only help if they are big, and I really don't think that there are enough people in anger about the fusion modus.

Writing to Nintendo support is the most helpful decision by far, that gets the attention of several instances in a company.

Shiggy

Old 3DS can use amiibo too. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0112S4888/

The fusion mode locked behind an amiibo is a strange decision. Should be available as DLC too. Fusion mode can only be unlocked after the first playthrough, so some business people at Nintendo probably thought its not good business to spend extra development time for a feature that only 1% use.

If this angers some than write Nintendo about it. To put your anger in this thread helps nobody. Boycotting the game, sends only the signal "not want Metroid".

Why would writing Nintendo help unless you write in Japanese to NLC, which isn't really an option for most on here?

Greddleok

In the end, it's just going to be a shitty hard mode, where you take 2x as much damage as previously. It's not even worth getting upset about.

Just don't buy the Amiibo.

sheaaaa

Nekketsu Kõha;244982548 said:
I was really being fair, just presenting a realistic view on the topic.

There's nothing fair or balanced about what you're saying at all.

For example, "Nintendo is going to do something for that extra cash they have to and I'd rather they do this then do what the competition is doing by a mile."

What the competition is doing is making their DLC available digitally for money, not locked behind a plastic figurine that many have zero interest in. How is what Nintendo is doing any better?

They do that on Kickstarter a lot. It's one of the main gripes the DT crew has with the board gaming scene right now. The difference is they aren't losing their shit over it.
My point is that it's all a matter of perspective, and when you're frothing at the mouth over the synergy of one toy with another toy then maybe it's time to take a long hard look at your priorities and figure out why inconsequential consumer bullshit makes you so mad. It's a toy; everything is an optional feature. The toy itself is optional.
You're just being an obtuse asshole for the sake of it at this point.

Wow, pot meet kettle. You're the one here losing your shit. And for what - Because consumers show dismay for anti-consumer practices towards that toy company you like? "Take a long hard look at your priorities", indeed.

(I don't see much discussion here anyway, more like deadlocked opinions and a bunch of anger)

You forgot to say that we're all entitled.

There's nothing fair or balanced about what you're saying at all.

For example, "Nintendo is going to do something for that extra cash they have to and I'd rather they do this then do what the competition is doing by a mile."

What the competition is doing is making their DLC available digitally for money, not locked behind a plastic figurine that many have zero interest in. How is what Nintendo is doing any better?

Really? How is a cheap nice looking plastic toy that is physical and can be used for several games that also doesn't lock away a lot of content and is not depending on servers and can be sold or traded better than the rest?

The rest being launched with different priced tiers, gamestop exclusives, day 1 DLC, more than 1 season pass that costs a lot, with added microtransactions that prey on addiction and where all the content would cost you thousands of dollars and won't work when servers go and you can never sell or trade it.

Shrugs.

Estoc

Don't want to end "the discussion" (I don't see much discussion here anyway, more like deadlocked opinions and a bunch of anger), but make sure that people are aware that putting your anger in an internet thread very rarely gets attention from people who should know about it. 😅 Even social media shitstorms only help if they are big, and I really don't think that there are enough people in anger about the fusion modus.

Writing to Nintendo support is the most helpful decision by far, that gets the attention of several instances in a company.

"Shut up and take your negative views somewhere I can't see."

It's a discussion board, I would say people arguing back and forth is still discussing the matter, even if no one changes their view at the end. If every discussion needs to end with one party changing their view, then Internet forums would be dead.

On the whole "take it to Nintendo" part, I agree, but whynotboth.gif? Some of us got works to do and they aren't going to procrastinate themselves.

Nekketsu Kõha;244982548 said:
I was really being fair, just presenting a realistic view on the topic.

That's nice, but the commentary of this topic is nintendo. People think it's bullshit when other companies do it. None of that realistic captain obvious stuff waters down how stupid this is.

That's nice, but the commentary of this topic is nintendo. People think it's bullshit when other companies do it. None of that realistic captain obvious stuff waters down how stupid this is.

Knowing they have to increase money made on each sale in the current market then I think this is the least stupid thing they could have done for me as a consumer.

And I also don't think amiibo is stupid.

My only complaint is they don't make enough of them.

Sorry if I am being too obvious.

sheaaaa

Nekketsu Kõha;244982857 said:
Really? How is a cheap nice looking plastic toy that is physical and can be used for several games that also doesn't lock away a lot of content and is not depending on servers and can be sold or traded better than the rest?

The rest being launched with different priced tiers, gamestop exclusives, day 1 DLC, more than 1 season pass that costs a lot, with added microtransactions that prey on addiction and where all the content would cost you thousands of dollars and won't work when servers go and you can never sell or trade it.

Shrugs.

Because what you're doing is projecting your opinion on to everyone, and comparing Amiibo to the absolute worst case scenarios for other publishers.

I don't want a plastic toy. I don't care how cheap they are or how easy they are to get or how many games they can be used for or that they can be sold or traded, I just don't want them. I'm in this for the games, and the games only. You say they don't lock away a lot of content but it's obvious from this thread and the length and ferocity of its discussion that yes, significant enough content is locked away for many people to be annoyed. And you neglect the fact that these toys can very difficult to come by, especially for people outside of the US, who don't have the vast network of retailers fighting for their business, offering pre-orders and discounts on these toys.

As for other DLC, as I said you're comparing Amiibo to the worst of practices. The vast majority of DLC around (or at least the ones I buy) are affordable, go on sale regularly and are worth the price they're asking for. I'm thinking of Dishonored's DLC expansions, Dark Souls and Bloodborne's substantial expansions, Mario Kart 8's new tracks and characters - most DLC is simply extra content for games at a decent price. Being digital, there's no chance of a shortage, and they're on global platforms that see universal discounts like Steam. Comparing locking hard mode behind Amiibo to most of the DLC around makes Metroid: Samus Returns and its Amiibo situation look like the terrible deal that it is.

And all of this wouldn't be an issue at all if Nintendo offered options. It's true that we don't yet know if Amiibo is the only way of unlocking a hard mode, but their communication so far has offered barely anything. No one would be up in arms if Amiibo unlocked a hard mode and you could also do it in the game. Options are always, always a good thing.

You are entitled to your opinion on Amiibo. I'm glad you're a fan, and I know people personally who are. What rankles is you trying to come across balanced and fair when you are anything but, disingenuously comparing Amiibo to the worst DLC has to offer.

I feel like people who think the problem is the scarce amiibo supply are completely missing the point. You shouldn't have to buy a $15 toy to unlock hard mode. You shouldn't have to pay for hard mode at all.
The amiibo set actually costs $30, not $15, and unlocks "Fusion" mode. We don't know what this mode is except that it will be more (or less?) difficult than the standard mode and features the Fusion suit.

Nothing has been said about the traditional Hard mode that was typically unlocked upon completing the game in previous single-player Metroid titles.

Nekketsu Kõha;244983568 said:
Knowing they have to increase money made on each sale in the current market then I think this is the least stupid thing they could have done for me as a consumer.

And I also don't think amiibo is stupid.

My only complaint is they don't make enough of them.

Sorry if I am being too obvious.

If you like this, do you. But pretending to be "balanced" when you are so obviously biased is ridiculous.

Venfayth

hi guys, i'm here to be compartmentalized away by posters in the art thread who are convinced i wouldn't have bought the game! how are you doing?

Mael

I've never played Metroid Other M, so I don't know what you mean.

I wish I could say the same...

My point is having more options doesn't detract from any game at all. If mode A is the default and it's amazing, having an optional mode B that is poorly received doesn't detract the slightest from mode A.

Take the Souls game, you'll find many people who will tell you that the game wouldn't be better with an easy mode for example.
There's also the fact that time & resources aren't infinite so a shitty mode is invariably a costly endeavour that could be better spent elsewhere.
A good example for that would be Metroid Prime 2:Echoes that had a multiplayer mode that was undeniably polished and ultimately pointless.
The game would have been better without (and on top of that we know that they were planning on putting Super Metroid as a bonus content but had to cut it due to time constraint).

The amiibo set actually costs $30, not $15, and unlocks "Fusion" mode. We don't know what this mode is except that it will be more (or less?) difficult than the standard mode and features the Fusion suit.

Nothing has been said about the traditional Hard mode that was typically unlocked upon completing the game in previous single-player Metroid titles.

Doesn't change anything. Locking game modes behind day 1 physical DLC is still incredibly scummy, whether there's an additional free hard mode or not.

Paskil

Lock features behind something that is sold out everywhere it was available for preorder before the game released. Makes sense.

kromeo

They just did that BOTW, and did that with TPHD last year.

I think hiding it behind amiibo obviously disguises it somewhat. I suspect there would be a lot more said if Activision or EA or whoever just straight up sold it as normal DLC

Unless they already have, it would't entirely surprise me

yuoke

Banned
I think hiding it behind amiibo obviously disguises it somewhat. I suspect there would be a lot more said if Activision or EA or whoever just straight up sold it as normal DLC

Unless they already have, it would't entirely surprise me

Disguises it? This thread has shown that it's hated way more than regular dlc.

With TPHD, the ganondorf amiibo locked double damage.

With BOTW, you HAVE to get the season pass for $20 and can't just download hardmode if you only want that.

Because what you're doing is projecting your opinion on to everyone, and comparing Amiibo to the absolute worst case scenarios for other publishers.

I don't want a plastic toy. I don't care how cheap they are or how easy they are to get or how many games they can be used for or that they can be sold or traded, I just don't want them. I'm in this for the games, and the games only. You say they don't lock away a lot of content but it's obvious from this thread and the length and ferocity of its discussion that yes, significant enough content is locked away for many people to be annoyed. And you neglect the fact that these toys can very difficult to come by, especially for people outside of the US, who don't have the vast network of retailers fighting for their business, offering pre-orders and discounts on these toys.

As for other DLC, as I said you're comparing Amiibo to the worst of practices. The vast majority of DLC around (or at least the ones I buy) are affordable, go on sale regularly and are worth the price they're asking for. I'm thinking of Dishonored's DLC expansions, Dark Souls and Bloodborne's substantial expansions, Mario Kart 8's new tracks and characters - most DLC is simply extra content for games at a decent price. Being digital, there's no chance of a shortage, and they're on global platforms that see universal discounts like Steam. Comparing locking hard mode behind Amiibo to most of the DLC around makes Metroid: Samus Returns and its Amiibo situation look like the terrible deal that it is.

And all of this wouldn't be an issue at all if Nintendo offered options. It's true that we don't yet know if Amiibo is the only way of unlocking a hard mode, but their communication so far has offered barely anything. No one would be up in arms if Amiibo unlocked a hard mode and you could also do it in the game. Options are always, always a good thing.

You are entitled to your opinion on Amiibo. I'm glad you're a fan, and I know people personally who are. What rankles is you trying to come across balanced and fair when you are anything but, disingenuously comparing Amiibo to the worst DLC has to offer.

I'm not trying to come across as balanced and fair but saying I am fair because I am, I acknowledge supply issues is not OK and I would also rather have everything for free. I have now addressed the issues several times while you ignore the other points. I don't have a problem with people having issues with DLC practises even this but the hyperbole and exaduration with, as you yourself acknowledge, a lack of actually knowing all the details.

As for your examples they are more rare than the worst practises currently in place by others, you seem unaware and perhaps should take another look at this year's AAA titles and what they offer. From all major publishers from the west all the way to the east.

I'm not gonna boycott a game with has arguably the least bad DLC offered on the market for a game especially if I like and was planning to buy it until learning about this.

If people wanna do so and by all means stick up for the principles by all means, not even gonna check such statements for obvious hypocrisy.

VDenter

Banned
They just did that BOTW, and did that with TPHD last year.

Breath of the Wild has many more things included besides a difficulty mode. The hard mode locked behind an amiibo is pretty bad considering Nintendo can use that fact as an excuse as to why a difficulty mode costs 15 dollars. A mode that has always been free in the previous games. There is nothing excusable about this Amiibo situation. Nobody in their right mind would defend this if it was some other publisher doing this but since its Nintendo i guess we all just have to open up our wallets and support every bad business practice they make.

Nekketsu Kõha;245006533 said:
I am not biased but feel free to write me off as such and carry on with your tantrum.

How is anything of what I wrote a tantrum?

You seem to be catching feelings more than most people here.

yuoke

Banned
Breath of the Wild has many more things included besides a difficulty mode. The hard mode locked behind an amiibo is pretty bad considering Nintendo can use that fact as an excuse as to why a difficulty mode costs 15 dollars. A mode that has always been free in the previous games. There is nothing excusable about this Amiibo situation. Nobody in their right mind would defend this if it was some other publisher doing this but since its Nintendo i guess we all just have to open up our wallets and support every bad business practice they make.

Yea, I mean it's slightly not as bad with BOTW, but with TPHD there was no excuse either, yet I don't remember boycotts for that.

How is anything of what I wrote a tantrum?

You seem to be catching feelings more than most people here.

Lol you are the one losing it all through this thread. Hostile and yes having a tantrum. At least most others are level headed.

Gonna leave it at that. Don't buy or buy, you decide no one is saying any different.

No idea what that hard mode will actually be like, but I'm not a fan of this approach. I'd much rather see Amiibo usage be tied to costumes and small in-game bonuses than difficulty settings.

That being said, I don't think a boycott of the game or the Amiibo really sends the message that we don't want this. As many others have noted, I'd sound off on social media and Nintendo's contact channels.

Disguises it? This thread has shown that it's hated way more than regular dlc.

With TPHD, the ganondorf amiibo locked double damage.

With BOTW, you HAVE to get the season pass for $20 and can't just download hardmode if you only want that.

Except for the real hard mode in TP HD is in the base game and unlocked at the start of the game. Now, the Ganondorf Amiibo could make that mode harder I believe, but it doesn't paywall the mode itself (which also prevents heart drops).

Personally, I think "Fusion mode" doesn't alter the difficulty and is just the way to get the Fusion suit. Is it just the Japanese translation that mentions difficulty?

Nekketsu Kõha;245007082 said:
Lol you are the one losing it all through this thread. Hostile and yes having a tantrum. At least most others are level headed.

Gonna leave it at that. Don't buy or buy, you decide no one is saying any different.

Yeah this is projecting at max level.

yuoke

Banned
Except for the real hard mode in TP HD is in the base game and unlocked at the start of the game. Now, the Ganondorf Amiibo could make that mode harder I believe, but it doesn't paywall the mode itself (which also prevents heart drops).

Personally, I think "Fusion mode" doesn't alter the difficulty and is just the way to get the Fusion suit. Is it just the Japanese translation that mentions difficulty?

This is likely what it could mean, except the UK site thing kind of implies that it's maybe not.

This is why people should be spamming nintendo social media right now, like constantly so they can officially come out with a video and full explanation to say if it's just hard mode with the fusion suit, the only hard mode period, or an extra hard mode. If it's one of the ladder two, then yea this is bad. If it's literally just hard mode with the fusion suit, then this whole fuss would be for nothing and pointless.

VDenter

Banned
Yea, I mean it's slightly not as bad with BOTW, but with TPHD there was no excuse either, yet I don't remember boycotts for that.

Correct me if i am wrong but Twilight Princess did not have a hard mode originally on the GameCube or Wii? Neither did most Zelda games. The difficulty mode in Zelda being free would be nice i am not going to deny that but TPHD already had a hero mode of sorts were you would play the Wii version equivalent and the enemies did more damage which was offered for free. I cant confirm this since i did not buy the game but that was my understanding. The amiibo just added a additional damage buff to the enemies that you could only use once per day. This is not really a comparable situation at all and it was never treated as a extra mode.

Durante

If someone doesn't like what nintendo is doing, but still buys the game, are they a corporate asslicker?
No, but people who come into this thread for no other reason than to basically tell others that they shouldn't complain about this have their tongue in pretty deep.

Nekketsu Kõha;245008057 said:
Feel free to go back and read our conversation. You are being silly and I won't engage further with you.

Weird how you are the only one who sees it like that. No one else is saying I'm throwing a tantrum. Maybe it's a sign my dude. Take the hint!

yuoke

Banned
Correct me if i am wrong but Twilight Princess did not have a hard mode originally on the GameCube or Wii? Neither did most Zelda games. The difficulty mode in Zelda being free would be nice i am not going to deny that but TPHD already had a hero mode of sorts were you would play the Wii version equivalent and the enemies did more damage which was offered for free. I cant confirm this since i did not buy the game but that was my understanding. The amiibo just added a additional damage buff to the enemies that you could only use once per day. This is not really a comparable situation at all and it was never treated as a extra mode.

What if fusion is an "extra hard mode' and there is a regular hard mode in the game already? Then it would be pretty comparable.

Top Bottom