• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 1/14/15 (6AM PST / 9AM EST)

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I couldn't decide between the Majora's Mask edition, or the Monster Hunter edition. So I pre-ordered both.

I'll end up selling one of them, but it's like Sophie's choice, only so much worse.

Yup! I think they said she, Wario, and DK all worked in amiibo mode too. No Bowser Jr I guess? Or maybe because he hasn't been revealed yet.
I just hope Mario Party mode isn't only vehicle bound or I will be pretty sad about that.
At least Amiibo Party seems to be traditional MP fare.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
While the NEW 3DS is clearly better the longer I think about the system the more I'm like WTF @ Nintendo charging $200 for 2011 tech in 2015.

I just hope Mario Party mode isn't only vehicle bound or I will be pretty sad about that.
At least Amiibo Party seems to be traditional MP fare.

Sadly, in the direct, when they said "Traditional Mode", they only showed footage of the vehicles, then Bowser mode, which still has vehicles.

I was hoping so much for no-vehicle mode...

prag16

Banned
Yeah thats pretty crap... Its so you buy two of them.

I was under the impression that the data is backed up in the specific game's save files. e.g. you could switch your Mario amiibo back to Smash Bros. "mode" by making sure the MP10 data is saved, then scanning it back into Smash? Is this an incorrect assumption?

Who's ready for the scalpers?

Someone's already selling a pre-order at $450.

I was under the impression that the data is backed up in the specific game's save files. e.g. you could switch your Mario amiibo back to Smash Bros. "mode" by making sure the MP10 data is saved, then scanning it back into Smash? Is this an incorrect assumption?

Nope, if you use the same amiibo for Smash, then use it for MP10, then the Smash data will be erased. And vice-versa if you use the same amiibo back to Smash. I assume this is why they're releasing 2 different Mario amiibos for this reason.

MagnesD3

I have no clue, thats not how it sounded in the direct tho.

So is the wii games gamepad support only for their digital shit (games that don't even support the pro controller) or is it for any wii game played on the wii u that supports pro controllers?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I have a lot to buy....

5 amiibo
Puzzle & Dragons
Majora's Mask
Kirby Wii U
Metroid Trilogy

New 3DS XL depending on EBGames trade-in.

My moolah

Mupod

I really could not get into MH3, but the trailer for MH4 really makes me want to get it.

Which version did you play? Online makes a big difference for a lot of people.

I'm hoping the tutorial they're talking about is good. The intro quests of Tri/3U were great at boring players to death and terrible at teaching you how to actually play the game. Tri in particular, didn't even give you all the weapon types at the start - that was a standard practice in previous games.

Astral Dog

Most people are dissapointed?
I thought it was a solid Direct, with some issues, but with expectations in check that was fine, it was meant to cover spring anyways, and a few summer titles.

It was pretty lousy if you wanted some Wii U news that wasn't the third or fourth reminder of a specific game coming out.

Wish they showed some Mewtwo footage in Smash even.

AniHawk

can I get a summary of everything they showed

at work

-new 3ds xl only new 3ds version in america. no adapter. monhun bundle at $230, majora's mask edition at $200
-fire emblem: if coming to 3ds
-codename steam comes with majora's mask pin with preorder. lucina, marth, and ike amiibos add fire emblem characters to that game
-mario party 10 introduces next line of amiibos. mario party 10 out in march
-splatoon out in may
-puzzles and dragons z and puzzles and dragons mario bros. is coming in may in one release
-xenoblade 3d out in april
-xenoblade chronicles x trailer. xcx out in april in japan
-wii virtual console announced. metroid prime trilogy, smg2, and punch out are the first games and half off in their first week. wii vc games can be played on gamepad if they had cc support
-mario vs dk is crossbuy/crossplay on wii u and 3ds
-new game from bandai namco for wii u called project treasure

Boogdud

Why does the Xenoblade trailer on NOA's YouTube have a 60fps option???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpNXhzscjQ

Oh good grief. The 60fps trailer is so much smoother. Explains why the animations looked a bit jerky in the standard version from the direct live. I've watched this stinking trailer like 5 times this morning already.

I don't have a wii u. This game may force my hand.

On another note, they mentioned they'd have a way to move your saves from the regular XL to the NXL, but they didn't mention how/if you can move your digital games. Surely this will be possible, right?

In case any NOA employees are reading and lurking in this thread, I want to reiterate that I am NOT buying an American N3DS XL. I will be importing a standard Europen N3DS, I will NOT be buying any U.S. N3DS specific games. I will import from Europe N3DS any specific retail games that are released as needed and will simply keep my Ambassador 3DS for when I want to use my old titles and content. I'm voting with my dollars and I refuse to support Reggie and NOA's continually narrow minded and incompetent treatment of fans and customers and beyond moronic reasoning. "White systems don't sell well in the U.S." The sold-out-everywhere-for-months white launch DS Lite says HELLO from 2006.

The Majora's Mask 3DS XL is 199.99 just like a regular one. They include no game and it cost no more than a regular XL.

Ah OK, thanks for clarifying. Still no interest.

Nintendo dropped the ball with the European stream. They didn't even show half the stuff you Americans got to see. They didn't even show the Hyrule Warriors DLC.

Disappointed isn't even the word. Can't believe Nintendo is sitting on Project Zero 5 and no announcement.

Only think I cared about was Ness amiibo, and if the special Majoras Mask 3DS was purple I would care.

I dont give a fuck if its not being showed. At least we know those things are coming (talking about American stream, not JP one).
Ive already payed for the hyrule warriors dlc, of course is coming to europe, I dont mind it was not shown there. And we are also getting more things that america, america are the ones that need to be pissed. NoE is treating us pretty good.
Things like project zero 5 are a pity though.

RomanceDawn

Darn it! I thought we'd get some Mewtwo or Star Fox clips. Oh well!

So that guy/girl who was teasing things yesterday, saying there was 1 now there is 2? What was that? 2 Fire Emblem games? 2 special newXL systems?

NotLiquid

I'm 99% sure that Mario Maker is a September title.

Why? September 13, 1985 is the 30th Anniversary of Super Mario Bros., and they made it clear how Mario Maker was explicitly tying in with that.

Is there a summary article/post out there for all that was announced? I hate sites that split every announcement into a new article as it just makes things hard to corral.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So... is there any indication yet that Monster Hunter 4 will come to the WiiU eventually? Because I don't want to bother with the 3DS version if it is... but if it's probably staying there, then I'm absolutely buying that limited edition system.

Neiteio

can I get a summary of everything they showed

at work
Only the New Nintendo 3DS XL is coming to America. In red and black. Feb. 13. No AC adapter. Majora's Mask 3D launching alongside it. Features c-stick control on the N3DS. There is a special gold MM-themed N3DS XL available the same day. Doesn't include the game, though. In the MM3D trailer they released, we can see a new fishing area in the swamp, and eyeballs added to two bosses, Gyorg (the fish) and Odolwa (the jungle man). The gold MM N3DS XL has the mask in the middle, and a transformation mask in each corner (Deku, Goron, Zora, Fierce Deity).

Splatoon has a central hub instead of a main menu. Similar to the one in Nintendo Land. You can walk to one area to go online and play against others, and earn in-game money you can use at the various shops to buy weapons, clothes, shoes, etc. Clothing affects character stats. You carry three weapons: A main weapon, a sub-weapon, and a chargeable super-weapon. The shopkeepers are all different sea creatures, like a crab, an anemone, etc. Game looks AMAZING.

In a vain attempt to get people to buy Code Name: STEAM, there is support for Fire Emblem amiibo, unlocking Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina (the latter two coming in Wave 4 this spring). When they fall in battle, you can't use them again until the mission is over. They're making more Marth amiibo, BTW. Also, preordering Code Name: STEAM gets you that silver Majora's Mask pin. Forget which retailer -- probably Gamestop.

There's a new Fire Emblem coming to 3DS. Same artist who did Awakening. Looks GORGEOUS. Characters have feet now. The scenario is penned by some writer (a comic writer, I think? Japanese name) who I don't know.

Hyrule Warriors DLC is Majora's Mask themed, with two new playable characters: Tingle (looking like he did in MM, absolutely terrifying), and Young Link with Fierce Deity Mask. There will be three costumes, shown in silhouette, one of which is clearly Skull Kid-themed. Also, a MM-themed Adventure Mode.

A Super Mario line of amiibo is on the way, with generic figures of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, etc. Toad is also included. Use them in Mario Party 10 in special amiibo game board mode. Seems you can also use their Smash equivalents. Also, in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, the Toad amiibo will add a hidden 8-bit Toad to find in each level. A future patch will enable this functionality.

A personal megaton for me: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse has a model viewer, where you can examine each clay-animated figure up close. Pretty much single-handedly sold me on the game, despite my reservations about playing the main game on the shitty GamePad screen.

Xenoblade Chronicles X has a crazy variety of environments. Coming out late April in Japan. Still slated for 2015 in the U.S. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is coming out in... April, I think, in the U.S. Monster Games is porting it (the Excite Truck people, also handled DKCR3D). A new feature is a model viewer!

There was something about Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate but my mind glazes over at every mention of this game.

The new Mario vs. Donkey Kong game is on both the WiiU and 3DS eShops, and has the subtitle Tipping Stars, since you can check out the levels made by other people, and if you like them, you can "tip them" stars (in-game currency) to encourage them to buy more assets and make more levels. If you buy the game for one system, you get it for free on the other. Has Miiverse integration. Kind of weird...

Wii games are coming to the WiiU VC. The first three titles are Super Mario Galaxy 2 (available this month), Punch-Out Wii, and Metroid Prime Trilogy. Each will be available at half-price the first week of availability. The GamePad is supported, where applicable.

Let's see, what else... Yoshi's Wooly World wasn't shown, so I'm guessing it'll be a late summer release. They didn't show Mario Maker, either. And of course, no Zelda WiiU or Star Fox WiiU.

I'm probably forgetting something major here...

Sheroking

Where is Metroid?

Still can't believe there is no news about a new one.

It's not going to happen at a random direct. That's E3 territory.

Who the hell knows when a 2D Metroid will be announced, but 3D is almost definitely Retro and they released their last game less than a year ago. Gonna take a moment.

Nobody made a thread about Puzzle and Dragons or I missed it?
I'm really hyped about this one and might be the only one T-T
Oh, I am looking forward to it.
A P&D game with no timers was my main dream and it seems to be coming true.

Edit: I also hope Club Nintendo makes more XL cradles for the new systems.

Yeah, those are the bombs.
I am excited for them, but yeah the Wii U really did get the short end of the stick.

There are those who felt the 3DS was being left to die this year while Wii U has some of Nintendo's biggest and best franchises getting new games in 2015, so perhaps Nintendo felt it best to focus on the 3DS with this direct to remind everyone it exists and has new content on the way.

But seriously, no non-XL version for America, no colored buttons, no AC adapter (I know this is the same everywhere) and no pack-in of Majora's Mask in the Majora's Mask New 3DS Bundle???

Screw that. I was considering getting one but I'll just stick with my old 3DS XL now...

Top Bottom