• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 1/14/15 (6AM PST / 9AM EST)

bms2993

Banned
I just find it preposterous that NOA would even think of neglecting such a huge market for new Nintendo 3DS coverplates especially given how amiibos flew off the shelves.

Ponn

Banned
Nintendo Direct thread?

70+ pages of getting upset at rumors, speculation and hype.

Nintendo Direct thread.

I want a regular N3DS but i'm not going to start grabbing pitchforks yet. When it comes to Nintendo rumors especially. I will just wait 12 hours.

That is a really good point. I would think they'd just drop the XL in that case as well.
I don't think so.

We sometimes forget from our lofty niche hardcore gaming circle vantage point that most demographics don't have the same perspective as us. By this point, most consumers who have even a passing interest in electronics know about the DS brand. There was DS and DS XL, 3DS and 3DS XL... if New 3DS is ONLY available in NA in the XL model, they would still advertise it as XL because consumers still have a reference point to compare it to (the reference point being the standard size DS and 3DS)

Face the music GAF, we aren't getting our velvet boo plates :(

Shauni

They wouldn't drop the "XL" if they see it as a selling point.

Hm, but at the same time, it would be confusing as well. If the whole point of cutting the regular n3DS is to minimize confusion, won't people then wonder what it's a XL of? Or that they'll expect it to have a bigger screen since it's a "New" XL model?

Of course, we are talking about Nitnendo and naming, so it's probably impossible to fuse any real sense into that.

maxcriden

Going to bed in a few. Hoping for a speedy morning at work so I can get watching. So psyched. Time for that Kirby puzzle platformer spin-off starring the Animal Friends from Kirby's Dream Land 3!

tumblr_m85zv0skyN1qhnz7po1_500.gif

Neiteio

We have 12 hours till we get a definitive answer so im not sure i want to argue further.

I will be truly surprised if this ends up being the case
I'm just saying I can see it going both ways.

The suggestion that the N3DS might have its own ad to highlight faceplates makes me more optimistic.

DJIzana

I wonder if it's worth it to upgrade to the "new" 3DS or not. I currently only own the original small 3DS or maybe if it's better to wait for the successor to it?

Highwind

Lol......like clockwork.

Chill out guys, it's just a prediction.

Wait for the direct and everything following after before jumping the gun. x_x

Shauni

I don't think so.

We sometimes forget from our lofty niche hardcore gaming circle vantage point that most demographics don't have the same perspective as us. By this point, most consumers who have even a passing interest in electronics know about the DS brand. There was DS and DS XL, 3DS and 3DS XL... if New 3DS is ONLY available in NA in the XL model, they would still advertise it as XL because consumers still have a reference point to compare it to (the reference point being the standard size DS and 3DS)

Face the music GAF, we aren't getting our velvet boo plates :(

Can't say I agree with this logic, but at the same time, I agree with what was said above. I don't think it's worth getting into any real long form discussion about it since we'll have our answer pretty soon.

I want an XL so as long as they release that its fine and dandy with me..but I dont see why they would only release an XL version, they will probably end up releasing both

I just find it preposterous that NOA would even think of neglecting such a huge market for new Nintendo 3DS coverplates especially given how amiibos flew off the shelves.

wSvoup5.gif

Really, though. It was a prediction. If we're going to get upset over that, we may as well start believing TiLMEN, too. The New Nintendo 3DS can potentially open up and expand new markets for Nintendo. The look of the console and its customization is a first for the company, and I really think it's going to pay off.

I have a strong suspicion we'll get a live feed of the same Zelda demo from that award show a while back. Or a very barebones teaser alongside MM3D.

Choomp

Banned
yLhqRhd.gif

"Jesus, we're going in hot! Strap in! *pop*"

BxGk5Ur.gif

"IN THE PIPE, FIVE BY FIIIIIIIVE!"

far out

Playing in my basketball game tonight, at the free throw line, someone yelled "Believe the hype" I have no choice but to jump on now

y9PusXD.gif

Choo choo mofos!!!!! I better be satisfied when I check GAF tomorrow

Shauni

I have a strong suspicion we'll get a live feed of the same Zelda demo from that award show a while back. Or a very barebones teaser alongside MM3D.

Well, this is meant for early 2015 titles, so I wouldn't expect anything outside maybe some passing mentioned of Zelda U. I mean, it's possible, since Directs tend to have some type of unexpected surprise, but I kind of hope it's something new as opposed to just some new Zelda stuff. I want new Zelda stuff, but it has all the of this year to get its due.

Well, I need a new 3DS anyways, so if there's both n3DS's, I'll get the regular one, if not, I'll get the big one. I really want the system mainly for the added controls and the improved 3D, so either way I'm happy I suppose.

Koppai

Come on ambassador New 3DS. Also random question, is that Kirby game really going to be $59.99 at launch? Costco jist listed it at $34.99 so I think it's gonna be $39.99

Shauni

If they confirm a simultaneous MMHD MH4 & NXL, this direct is going down in history.
9 AM EST? LET'S GO.

I'm going to assume you meant MM3D there. Otherwise, prepare for some big disappointment here haha.

Pretty sure US retailers don't want all of those faceplates taking up shelf space.

People were saying the same thing about amiibos. I know they are different types of things, but if priced reasonably, I could see faceplates selling well, even as simply collector's items.

maxcriden

Come on ambassador New 3DS. Also random question, is that Kirby game really going to be $59.99 at launch? Costco jist listed it at $34.99 so I think it's gonna be $39.99

It's priced at about $40 in Canada and Japan so a similar NA price is a pretty good bet. :)

Rich!

Oh fuck...I'm not sure I'm ready for the shitstorm when the regular N3DS is announced for europe (it will be, we got the ambassador one) and not America.

I don't think anything of that nature has ever, ever happened before. It would be kinda unprecedented.

haha yeah i bet Nintendo of america got word from retailers they dont want two models of the new 3ds x face plates since the old 3ds x 2ds are still there

if anything the new 3ds will only be through club nintendo

hold on, its gonna be a bumpy ride

my other still hilarious yet sad theory is NoA thinks we can't see what happens in the rest of the world

Stoof

I'll have my F5'ing ready for the smallest chance that we get the MH4U n3DSXL with the brushed metal top.
pls NOA ;-;

Top Bottom