• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: The Super Mario Bros. Movie

ManaByte

Gold Member
show GIF
2jg7Xzf.gif

I didn’t comment on how they describe him. His voice in every Mario game is literally italian sounding, stereotypically or otherwise.
If they wanted the typical Mario voice/ accent they’d have just used Charles Martinet though, right? They’re clearly going in a different direction with the movie. They also don’t allow Bowser to talk in the video games. Whatever the rules are about how the characters have to be in the games clearly doesn’t apply to the direction they’re going in with the movie. 🤷‍♂️

I doubt anyone wants to sit through 2 hours of “Wahooo!” “Okey dokey!” And “it’s a meee, Mario!”. Those are fine for the games, but that hardly seems like a good fit for a feature length movie where Mario won’t just be a one dimensional character.

They’re making a Mario feature film, not a new video game. People need to understand there’s gonna be a difference between the two. Try and appreciate it for what it is!

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I was absolutely blown away with this. ❤️
Definitely going to watch this in 4D if possible!

I'm honestly relieved Chris Pratt isn't trying to mimic Charles Martinet's voice for Mario. I mostly can't wait to hear Charlie Day as Luigi. 💚

Maybe we'll get an incredibly well made METROID or ZELDA movie someday? ✨
Zelda and Metroid would be awesome!

Also, hope we get some Kart racing in this movie. I’d even allow a “now THIS is kart racing” line if they did that.

Rykan

I'm pretty sure Mario being from Brooklyn is canon, or at least, was.
It wasn't really canon. It was simply part of the American localization process. This was later expanded on in the American made Mario brothers TV show and Movie.
Nowhere else in the world is Mario from Brooklyn.

Sonic also had some pretty big changes to its story and setting for the American release. It was common at the time.

They might bring this back for the Movie though, as it's clearly an alternative take on the franchise.

I personally never liked the Brooklyn aspect of Mario. Mario is a globally recognized character and the fact that it is never explicitly stated where he's from makes it easy to identify and connect with the character, instead of being yet another American main character in a video game.

As for the trailer, I think I share the same opinion as most people: Liked the trailer, wished the original voice actor would voice Mario instead.

Last edited:
I think the whole “why aren’t they using the video game voice actor” is a very gamer-forum concern. Like legit 99% of people won’t even know who that guy is and will love the movie and think it’s great. Also we barely heard any actual dialogue from Mario in that trailer. I’ll definitely withhold judgement for the full movie. Im sure it’ll be good. And for all we know they tested some dialogue with Martinet before deciding their final casting and the script just didn’t work with his voice/ delivery. 🤷‍♂️

Have faith!

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Bowser doesn’t have a voice in the games, though. Nintendo doesn’t let him talk. Are you just talking about the generic grunt sound he makes?

3:36.
I mean, yeah they did but they shouldn't have.

Pratt's version is kinda shit, mostly just sounds like him. Need an actual voice actor for the role. What's he gonna do without his signature one palm forward stance?

Jack Black does a phenomenal job compared.

ZehDon

Well, I guess I'm looking forward to the Super Mario Bros movie now. That trailer was a lot better than I was expecting.

clarky

Gold Member
If they wanted the typical Mario voice/ accent they’d have just used Charles Martinet though, right? They’re clearly going in a different direction with the movie. They also don’t allow Bowser to talk in the video games. Whatever the rules are about how the characters have to be in the games clearly doesn’t apply to the direction they’re going in with the movie. 🤷‍♂️

I doubt anyone wants to sit through 2 hours of “Wahooo!” “Okey dokey!” And “it’s a meee, Mario!”. Those are fine for the games, but that hardly seems like a good fit for a feature length movie where Mario won’t just be a one dimensional character.

They’re making a Mario feature film, not a new video game. People need to understand there’s gonna be a difference between the two. Try and appreciate it for what it is!
Yeah after seeing that tweet i've took off the rose tinted ear buds & 180'd, fuck sitting through Charles' voice for a couple of hours. Pratt wouldn't be my pick but i can live with it.

Last edited:

Rykan

Yeah after seeing that tweet i've took off the rose tinted ear buds & 180'd, fuck sitting through Charles' voice for a couple of hours. Pratt wouldn't be my pick but i can live with it.
Charles Martinet is a voice actor. Obviously, if he were to voice Mario in the Movie it would sound different than the usual short yelps that he does for Mario.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The trailer looked pretty good artistically, only thing I hated is that they added in a bunch of non-funny fast-talking "quips" like all Pixar-derivative movies employ way too much of. It's just played out and not all that funny.

clarky

Gold Member
Charles Martinet is a voice actor. Obviously, if he were to voice Mario in the Movie it would sound different than the usual short yelps that he does for Mario.
Aye i know that. Earlier in the thread i was saying he was the voice of the Mario i have in my head and something similar would be better than Pratt. After seeing the IGN tweet i have changed my mind. Though i was pretty clear. If you read the thread.

I'm sure they would have tested out a number of voices before settling on Mr P. I have reservations but lets see.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
I think the whole “why aren’t they using the video game voice actor” is a very gamer-forum concern. Like legit 99% of people won’t even know who that guy is and will love the movie and think it’s great. Also we barely heard any actual dialogue from Mario in that trailer. I’ll definitely withhold judgement for the full movie. Im sure it’ll be good. And for all we know they tested some dialogue with Martinet before deciding their final casting and the script just didn’t work with his voice/ delivery. 🤷‍♂️

Have faith!

he has a great range

same type of bull shit disney did to Tim Allen, look how that new movie flopped.

Last edited:

Porcile

That's quite clearly not the standard Mario model they use for games or promotional art so it actually makes sense to change the voice actor.

clarky

Gold Member
That's quite clearly not the standard Mario model they use for games or promotional art so it actually makes sense to change the voice actor.
Make no sense. Do they change the voice depending on different models used if different Mario games?

The Mario in the movie is about as Mario as you can get, If the next game was on a Nintendo 4090 (?) he'd be looking dapper like that.

Cyberpunkd

Pejo

Gold Member
Looks at least as good as the next Pixar garbage being shoved down the collective throat of the world. At least it seems to be sticking to the greater Marioverse (is that a thing?) other than the voices. I'm sure I'll get used to them anyways, since I was able to watch Detective Pikachu and be ok with Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu. Animations were pretty great for a first time thing.

Tieno

Looks way better than I expected. A nintendo trailer with amazing next-next-gen graphics.
Probably gonna be the first animated movie I'm going to see in he theaters in a decade or two.

Nico_D

Maybe if enough people complain they will change his face like sonic.

If they got everything else right, then Mario's face must be an artistic choice and people just have to accept that.

Sonic's face was originally like I would've drawn it. Different thing.

lachesis

I thought it was really good! I think Jack Black is a good cast for the Bowser, but somehow I can't tell it's Jack Black just listening the voice though.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Hard to believe they don't have a game coming out with this.

No doubt we'll get 3d world movie edition or some shit re released. Again.

This is going to surpass Sonic at the box office isn't it?

Trailer was great and I'm super excited for it!
I hope this does well in order to inspire the Sonic movie studio to take a risk and remove all of the human characters aside from Robotnik from the next movie. It's time to let them go and rip that band-aid off.

Top Bottom