• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2014

hongcha

This has not yet been presented as a possible reason why Nintendo hasn't released this in NA, but 'lol nintendo hates money' continues to get trotted out.

It is the same as the Wii VC version of SMB3 released in NA, so that is not a very plausible reason to not release the 3DS version in NA. The European Wii U/3DS versions also have it, as does the JP 3DS version which was released like 15 months ago. FIFTEEN MONTHS AGO.

BriBri

spent some time with this during commute to and from work. Nice shooter, looks good, runs smooth in 3-D also. Played on normal difficulty which seemed a bit too easy so will play on hard from now on.

I have never played the original version though so cant compare it to anything. I do think the price maybe a little high though.

you have any questions?
Thanks. Just a couple actually. How are the size of the sprites in game (particularly the bullets)? And any slowdown? Thanks again!

oatmeal

Banned
I got Block Drop U and it's incredibly unintuitive.

Rush, or whatever, seems pretty sweet.

Also grabbed Simon's Quest.

Yes Boss!

Thanks. Just a couple actually. How are the size of the sprites in game (particularly the bullets)? And any slowdown? Thanks again!

I logged a goood hour on the game as well. Beat it on normal (yes, fairly easy on normal) but there is still hard and extra hard.

Gorgeous game. Sprites are big and pretty. Sound is off-the-hook and way better than genny/gba. It is like an HD version of those games. Things flash red when hit instead of white like the originals. Otherwise , basically the same game structurally. No flicker or slowdown. Achievments and local leaderboard.

I dunno about price as $30 is really nothing for a shooter for me. Guess your milage will vary. I've got every shooter on 3DS and this and the nee Fantasy Zone rank up there at the top. Washes the bad taste from the two Milestone junk titles recently released.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
http://nintendo enthusiast.com/article/sync-wii-u/

A new indie game announced, inspired by Metroid Prime, but alas no sceenshot, just the engine running..:)

I've just seen it on Go Nintendo: http://www.gonintendo.com/s/224519-dead-pixel-announces-sync-for-wii-u-updates-on-starbeast

- first-person-adventure
- developed by Dead Pixel Entertainment
- only in development for 2 weeks
- original plan was to have development done by April, but the team was slowed due to a staff emergency
- six team members involved
- looking to innovate in the genre
- focuses on exploration and discovery
- you are thrown into a world with little to no direction
- come to find out something is terribly wrong in this world
- game won't hold the player's hand
- game world simple enough to navigate with a compass
- inspired by Metroid Prime
- the game world is devoid of life, with everything clean and organized
- enemy characters move through specific paths
- dual analog first person shooter scheme
- aiming to release by the end of 2014
- involves item collection
- robots have become dominant
- locate data stations and upload a deadly virus to destroy Sync
- Sync is a computer system
- orders are coming from an unknown group called Gensys

sync-screenshot.png

Curious about this.

The same developer also mentioned another game:

Starbeast

- horizontal shooter.
- includes writers, voice actors and musicians on the team

star-beast-wii-u-2.jpg

Robin64

The Mario 3 "edge of screen glitch" is not actually a glitch at all and did the same thing on an original NES. You probably just never noticed it thanks to your TV hiding it, though.

The NES can only use an off-screen buffer to update tiles on a single axis.

So in Super Mario Bros., you would see nothing because the screen only move horizontally. Super Mario Bros. 2 also had nothing because each area was set to either horizontal or vertical, so the off-screen buffer was fine there too.

Mario 3, however, scrolls in all directions. So the vertical buffer is off-screen, but the horizontal one had to be done by using the edge of the on-screen area. That's all you're seeing, horizontal tile buffer.

Glass Joe

The Mario 3 "edge of screen glitch" is not actually a glitch at all and did the same thing on an original NES. You probably just never noticed it thanks to your TV hiding it, though.

The NES can only use an off-screen buffer to update tiles on a single axis.

So in Super Mario Bros., you would see nothing because the screen only move horizontally. Super Mario Bros. 2 also had nothing because each area was set to either horizontal or vertical, so the off-screen buffer was fine there too.

Mario 3, however, scrolls in all directions. So the vertical buffer is off-screen, but the horizontal one had to be done by using the edge of the on-screen area. That's all you're seeing, horizontal tile buffer.

That's very true, a lot of NES games had little graphical glitches that we didn't realize because they occured just off screen on tube TVs. Some emulators have options to compensate for that but for whatever reason, Nintendo's chosen not to for VC.

Galdelico

I logged a goood hour on the game as well. Beat it on normal (yes, fairly easy on normal) but there is still hard and extra hard.

Gorgeous game. Sprites are big and pretty. Sound is off-the-hook and way better than genny/gba. It is like an HD version of those games. Things flash red when hit instead of white like the originals. Otherwise , basically the same game structurally. No flicker or slowdown. Achievments and local leaderboard.

I dunno about price as $30 is really nothing for a shooter for me. Guess your milage will vary. I've got every shooter on 3DS and this and the nee Fantasy Zone rank up there at the top. Washes the bad taste from the two Milestone junk titles recently released.

Sounds so good. Should I even start hoping for a quick release here in Europe? I have the feeling we will never see this game here.

Dragoshi1

Can't wait for Pokemon Battle Trozei today!

I remember playing the demo of the first one and having a blast, but stores never seemed to keep it in stock when I wanted to buy it.

L~A

Wii U Download

Pure Chess – $7.99

Wii U Virtual Console

Volleyball – $4.99

3DS Download

Yumi’s Odd Odyssey – $29.99
Pokemon Battle Trozei – $7.99
Pure Chess – $7.99

3DS Demo

Conception™ II: Children of the Seven Stars (available March 25)

eShop sales

Sale by Renegade Kid – Goodbye winter! It’s Super Spring Sale time! From now until April 3, save 30 percent on select Renegade Kid games in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, featuring the critically acclaimed game Mutant Mudds™, arcade racer ATV Wild Ride™ 3D and explosive puzzler Bomb Monkey™.
Nordic Games Sale – For a limited time, all Nordic Games titles are on sale in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U, including Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Visit the Nintendo eShop for full details. This offer runs until 9 a.m. PT on April 1.

eShop Promotion

Free Wii Sports Club Access – Hop off the couch and get moving with awesome, active games for the Wii U system. We’ll help you jump into the spring season with free access to Wii Sports Club this weekend only. Starting March 21 at 9 a.m. PT, enjoy all available sports in Wii Sports Club for free until 11:59 p.m. PT on March 23.

Wow.

RiggyRob

eShop Promotion

Free Wii Sports Club Access – Hop off the couch and get moving with awesome, active games for the Wii U system. We’ll help you jump into the spring season with free access to Wii Sports Club this weekend only. Starting March 21 at 9 a.m. PT, enjoy all available sports in Wii Sports Club for free until 11:59 p.m. PT on March 23.

Is this the first time Nintendo has done a free weekend? If they started doing more of these like Steam does that'd be fantastic.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kind of hoped for a demo for Pokemon Battle Trozei. Haven't been a Pokemon fan since Silver/Gold, but I don't mind checking out the spin-offs from time to time.

I'll probably download the Conception 2 demo, though mainly to see how it differs from the Vita's demo since that's the version I'm getting.

& once again, waiting on a sale for Yumi's Odd Odyssey ($20 or less).

Rizsparky

I've just seen it on Go Nintendo: http://www.gonintendo.com/s/224519-dead-pixel-announces-sync-for-wii-u-updates-on-starbeast

- first-person-adventure
- developed by Dead Pixel Entertainment
- only in development for 2 weeks
- original plan was to have development done by April, but the team was slowed due to a staff emergency
- six team members involved
- looking to innovate in the genre
- focuses on exploration and discovery
- you are thrown into a world with little to no direction
- come to find out something is terribly wrong in this world
- game won't hold the player's hand
- game world simple enough to navigate with a compass
- inspired by Metroid Prime
- the game world is devoid of life, with everything clean and organized
- enemy characters move through specific paths
- dual analog first person shooter scheme
- aiming to release by the end of 2014
- involves item collection
- robots have become dominant
- locate data stations and upload a deadly virus to destroy Sync
- Sync is a computer system
- orders are coming from an unknown group called Gensys

sync-screenshot.png

Curious about this.

The same developer also mentioned another game:

Starbeast

- horizontal shooter.
- includes writers, voice actors and musicians on the team

star-beast-wii-u-2.jpg

2 Week development? Is such a thing even possible?

Random Wii sports club thought. You know the golf game that has the option to put the gamepad on the floor...What were they thinking? You had people throwing remotes at the TV and now they want them to drop them on the Gamepad or better still, step on it.

I know they showed the tech demo meaning it had to become a fleshed out product and honestly at this point of the game such an article would be beneficial.

NeoRausch

Random Wii sports club thought. You know the golf game that has the option to put the gamepad on the floor...What were they thinking? You had people throwing remotes at the TV and now they want them to drop them on the Gamepad or better still, step on it.

I know they showed the tech demo meaning it had to become a fleshed out product and honestly at this point of the game such an article would be beneficial.
well people are stupid, their fault.
there is also a warning about this before every round and it can't be clicked away.

aaaand the 'Pad on the floor'-mode is super awesome.
... when your club is not drifting.... sigh!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nintendo to respond with making rubber covers to put on Wii U Gamepad similar to the ones for the Wiimote.

L~A

Is this the first time Nintendo has done a free weekend? If they started doing more of these like Steam does that'd be fantastic.

Nah, they did the same thing on Christmas day (the day the eShop went bust :p). But only Wii Sports Club has had a free week-end.

Remember when they had Mega Man X on sale for $2? That was awsome

I loved how they even named the promotion "2 games, 2 days, 2 dollars" to get everyone's hopes up for future promotions. At this point I'd be happy with a simple 30% off promotion on some nice games or a buy 2, get 1 type deal.

Davey Cakes

It's not a BAD week per se. I mean, Pokemon Battle Trozei is there. I don't want to pass judgment on Chess....

But seriously, NES Volleyball? What the actual fuck.

I hate sounding like a bitch but that is embarrassing. NES sports games like that should only be released in sets of three or more. Being the only VC game for the week though? Baffling.

cacildo

I loved how they even named the promotion "2 games, 2 days, 2 dollars" to get everyone's hopes up for future promotions. At this point I'd be happy with a simple 30% off promotion on some nice games or a buy 2, get 1 type deal.

They really need more sales for vc games.

With current prices i wont buy a single game

A lot of people say "the vc releases are lame only one game per week" and i agree with em, but the biggest problem is the price. With those prices they can pop ten games per week and ill still buy zero

Pure Chess

FULL HD 1080p and Stereoscopic 3D support

Stereoscopic 3D support, that's like the 2nd Wii U title to support it isn't it (the other being AC3)?

I'm interested in this, but the PSN version scores are quite low...

Edit: Cross-platform online play with not only 3DS, but iOS and Android too? Sold!

JavyOO7

I just want Pro Wrestling to come out, man. Why isn't that out yet. Tecmo World Wrestling probably even has less of a chance coming out. Sad face.

L~A

Pure Chess

Stereoscopic 3D support, that's like the 2nd Wii U title to support it isn't it (the other being AC3)?

I'm interested in this, but the PSN version scores are quite low...

Edit: Cross-platform online play with not only 3DS, but iOS and Android too? Sold!

I dunno, sounds like something from the 3DS.... no idea why they'd have stereoscopic 3D on the Wii U *shrugs*

New communities for Miiverse on the 3DS :

Top Bottom