• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2014

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just when I expected them to have moved their press releases to Tuesdays, they release it on Monday again.
Anyway, I'm glad Europe is finally starting to catch up on Castlevania. But for now it's all about next week's VC release for me. I'd also love to play Devil World, so bring it to WiiU soon, please!

Robin64

Hell yea it's all about Super Mario Kart! The OT has been finished for about a week now, just the painful waiting period now. I'll probably post it on the 26th.

L~A

^

Why would they move their PR day, please, don't tempt the gods :p

Hmm.... pretty lackluster week. Nothing for me yet again.

Wait, 3DS VC games aren't normally €4 are they? Especially not imports...then again you can pin Devil World down as an early NES game.

What are all the negatives I need to know before linking my 3DS to an NNID? The only thing I know is that you can't unlink without deleting, which also deletes your account/purchases. It's already a very big negative, but is there anything else?
It is important to know which region you are in beforehand. Countries like Mexico and Brazil basically have little reason to lock down to those countries (much more expensive retail games than USA and Canada and no Club Nintendo).

In Europe and Australia you suffer from unequal content availability sometimes going as far as limiting translations for some games (VC games such as Link's Awakening, and retail games such as Layton and Inazuma Eleven). Australia gets the bad end of stick in content (OFLC rating is expensive so many smaller developers don't release there) though Snapdots on DSiWare (aka a reskin of Guru Logic Champ) in only available in Australia (published by Nintendo so I guess NOE did not want to translate) and the UK recently missed out on the 3DS port of Inazuma Evelen 1 because level 5 make dumb decisions.

If you lock yourself to a country where the games are not out you can not redownload them (so basically if your SD card gets corrupted or the system goes missing or breaks badly you lose games you bought because some genius at NCL who is oblivious to the European situation managed to mess up making baby steps in an account system and shop design, it takes real effort to make something worse than the current one but with NNID they succeeded).

Basically I'd say maybe if you are outside of Europe but inside of Europe think a bit more (e.g. if you're in Germany do you want to be stuck with the Moyse translation of Link's Awakening, am I interested in Snapdots).

The other thing that gets locked is the Club Nintendo link you can link a Club Nintendo account to:
One NNID'd 3DS or Several normal non-NNID'd 3DS.

Robin64

if you're in Germany do you want to be stuck with the Moyse translation of Link's Awakening

Is it that bad? I only know of this rather terrible line...

Zelda-Links-Awakening.jpg

Katsuragi

I forgot, that is good for Miiverse trolling...as long as you don't say "I'm 12 and what is this?" in which case the moderators will ban you for lying about your age...

The line "Nie ohne Kondom" (and a few others) were removed from the Link's Awakening DX version, which is the one available on the eShop.

daydream

Banned
Pure Chess, eh? I wonder if it's any good. Looking at it on their homepage (the trailer on Nin's website tells you exactly zero), it seems pretty terrible.

Back to Virtual Kasparov on the GBA.

Robin64

Pure Chess, eh? I wonder if it's any good. Looking at it on their homepage (the trailer on Nin's website tells you exactly zero), it seems pretty terrible.

Back to Virtual Kasparov on the GBA.

Pure Chess does have online crossplay, mind. Wii U, 3DS, Android, iOS, it doesn't matter. That's pretty neat.

daydream

Banned
Pure Chess does have online crossplay, mind. Wii U, 3DS, Android, iOS, it doesn't matter. That's pretty neat.

I would have preferred more meaningful singleplayer content. Can't imagine multiplayer without a mouse. There's apparently a tournament mode but why not a "fun story mode where you fight your way to the world championship match"? "100 bonus puzzles"? That's great, I can solve those in 20-30 minutes. There's huge tactics databases out there, so why not get 20 000 puzzles? Solving those on the GamePad would be great. There's unlimited possibilities for modes, e.g. get a database of master games and let the player play "Guess-The-Move", implement opening training, essential endgames, etc.

Don't know how the feature set is otherwise, like, which chess variants can I choose, what customization options are there for the board, etc. Speaking of which, all those 3D boards are completely useless, and I haven't seen a single 2D option in the footage that's out there (can't imagine it not being in there, though, but it, again, makes me wonder how customisable it will be).

Anyway, I realise I sound way bitter about this, but hey, I just want a decent chess game that's not sterile as hell. Seems like nobody that's actually into chess is ever involved with these.

Weng

Aztez is coming to Wii U (other Platforms: PC/Mac/Linux, PS4, Vita & Xbox One).

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0QM907YULA
Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786159

In Aztez, you expand and maintain the Aztec empire through turn-based strategy, while managing violent outbreaks via real-time beat 'em up sequences. Every game is unique; different events will occur, different challenges will emerge, and different spoils will be taken each time you play. Spread, strengthen, subjugate!

Screenshot13.jpg
Screenshot1.jpg

Screenshot11.jpg
Screenshot10.jpg

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hex Heroes

Exclusive 5 player paRTS game

So this game still has to get funded through Kickstarter first? Oh well, the idea is kinda interesting, the video isn't really helping though, I guess they have to show something because of their Kickstarter campaign.

Penguin

So this game still has to get funded through Kickstarter first? Oh well, the idea is kinda interesting, the video isn't really helping though, I guess they have to show something because of their Kickstarter campaign.

Yeah it's not purdy, but for something they did in 48-hour

If they clean up the style, I like the idea going for with it being pieces on a puzzle board.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ah, didn't realize this was after 48 hours of work. Did they present some kind of art or something that shows how they expect it to look at the end?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Another Atlus sale in the US (until March 31st):

Shin Megami Tensei IV – $49.99 $29.99
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl – $39.99 $19.99
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan – $29.99 $19.99
Devil Survivor Overclocked – $29.99 $19.99
Code of Princess – $29.99 $19.99
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers – $29.99 $19.99

Source

terrisus

Source

They're just going to keep doing this until I buy all of them, aren't they?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck you, Atlus

SMT IV been on sale a gazillion times already in NA, meanwhile in EU: derp

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Don't make a Scandinavian/Bergsala country NNID either, you'll miss out on some stuff...

...so I'm planning on retiring my current "3DS" along with my NNID in my OG unit and start over without an NNID sometime. Not going to buy any digital stuff until that.

You can still jump between eShops without an NNID, right? I know that I'll only keep stuff from where I bought it, but I have to decide a "main" country.

And according to a mail I got from NoE customer support, if you format your 3DS, you may lose your purchases "tied" to the NNID, so I guess they're not linked at all? Any confirmation on this?

TehOh

Source

I still haven't played much of EO4, but I'm considering grabbing EO Untold too. I have a problem.

Glass Joe

I would have preferred more meaningful singleplayer content. Can't imagine multiplayer without a mouse. There's apparently a tournament mode but why not a "fun story mode where you fight your way to the world championship match"? "100 bonus puzzles"? That's great, I can solve those in 20-30 minutes. There's huge tactics databases out there, so why not get 20 000 puzzles? Solving those on the GamePad would be great. There's unlimited possibilities for modes, e.g. get a database of master games and let the player play "Guess-The-Move", implement opening training, essential endgames, etc.

Don't know how the feature set is otherwise, like, which chess variants can I choose, what customization options are there for the board, etc. Speaking of which, all those 3D boards are completely useless, and I haven't seen a single 2D option in the footage that's out there (can't imagine it not being in there, though, but it, again, makes me wonder how customisable it will be).

Anyway, I realise I sound way bitter about this, but hey, I just want a decent chess game that's not sterile as hell. Seems like nobody that's actually into chess is ever involved with these.

Just curious: Why can't you imagine multiplayer without a mouse? The gamepad's touch screen seems like a fairly convienient solution, assuming the game utilizes it. Heck even the Wiimote pointer seems better than a traditional console controller.

I'm not really interested in the game and if I remember right it didn't get great reviews on other platforms. If the price is really only $5 and there's a training mode to help me actually become decent at it, though, then maybe.

daydream

Banned
Just curious: Why can't you imagine multiplayer without a mouse? The gamepad's touch screen seems like a fairly convienient solution, assuming the game utilizes it. Heck even the Wiimote pointer seems better than a traditional console controller.

I'm not really interested in the game and if I remember right it didn't get great reviews on other platforms. If the price is really only $5 and there's a training mode to help me actually become decent at it, though, then maybe.

I answered this here. I'm sure touch controls work totally fine, it's just a question of what you're used to in a competitive context. In any case, it's not my main criticism.

Chessmaster on the DS had pretty good tutorial options, iirc.

Source

im going to wait until devil survivor is $10

At least ATLUS is publishing Conception 2 here in Europe. Maybe then we can finally get in on the sale action. Shame they can't prod NISA Europe into caring about Etrian Oddysey.

You can still jump between eShops without an NNID, right? I know that I'll only keep stuff from where I bought it, but I have to decide a "main" country.

And according to a mail I got from NoE customer support, if you format your 3DS, you may lose your purchases "tied" to the NNID, so I guess they're not linked at all? Any confirmation on this?
Yes you can jump eShops without an NNID. Not sure what you mean by keeping stuff. All the purchases I've made in all countries appear in titles you own (it is just you can not download ones not in the eShop you are currently connected to) and the account history has all the foreign currencies too.

My interpretation of the manuals was that if you format the purchases disappear (as they're linked to the NNID now not the hardware) but the 3DS can still only use that NNID and logging back in makes the purchases re-appear. I'm not sure what happens if you switch countries after formating and then log in. It probably kicks you out the eShop...

Fuck you, Atlus

SMT IV been on sale a gazillion times already in NA, meanwhile in EU: derp
I feel the same way about PAL Code of Princess, where it was released and discounted at least once on the US eShop even before it finally came out in PALand and hasn't even been on sale even once here. Still holding out for discount pricing but I'm crossing my fingers for a sale soon as it's coming up to its 1 year release anniversary here. Also it might tell us something about the sales / discount potential of Yumi's Odd Odyssey here in PALand (same publisher).

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Yes you can jump eShops without an NNID. Not sure what you mean by keeping stuff. All the purchases I've made in all countries appear in titles you own (it is just you can not download ones not in the eShop you are currently connected to) and the account history has all the foreign currencies too.

My interpretation of the manuals was that if you format the purchases disappear (as they're linked to the NNID now not the hardware) but the 3DS can still only use that NNID and logging back in makes the purchases re-appear. I'm not sure what happens if you switch countries after formating and then log in. It probably kicks you out the eShop...
I meant that if I by some reason link my 3DS to an NNID again, I can only re-download the purchases from that countrys eShop on my NNID. Sorry that I didn't mention that. Not going to do that in the foreseeable future anyway.

Please note that this can delete your content licences from the eShop of your original NNID.
is what they said. Don't know if they meant that they will be deleted from my NNIDs eShop account or from the 3DS after the format. Confusing.

Sorry for the sort-of-off-topic question but I should be able to play my physical copy of Animal Crossing without problems on the formatted system, right?

Katsuragi

Good news for fans of Renegade Kid's upcoming episodic Moon remake:

Jools Watsham ‏@JoolsWatsham
All bugs are fixed (we hope). Preparing Moon Chronicles for submission to Nintendo!!!! Crazy cool. Excite!

daxy

Super Mario Bros. 3 has some nasty visual glitches going on at the sides (on 3DS at least). You'd think they could simulate overscan for Virtual Console by having the option to add black bars. Evidently not. But at least Gameboy games get nice frames.

The minimal effort Nintendo puts into VC is baffling sometimes. From the nasty vaseline effect Gameboy games suffer from to simple overscan settings. Third party emulators respect these old games more than Nintendo does.

Ondore

Looks like the WiiU's THQ remnant - Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and Darksiders II - are on sale for $19.99 each until 4/1.

Chopper

Super Mario Bros. 3 has some nasty visual glitches going on at the sides (on 3DS at least). You'd think they could simulate overscan for Virtual Console by having the option to add black bars. Evidently not. But at least Gameboy games get nice frames.

The minimal effort Nintendo puts into VC is baffling sometimes. From the nasty vaseline effect Gameboy games suffer from to simple overscan settings. Third party emulators respect these old games more than Nintendo does.
Dude. That's authentic Nintendo seal of quality awesomness right with there. That's how it's meant to be! You paid good money for those glitches, now give them more to play it again on Wii U.

jmizzal

It also looks like even more indie titles got delayed?

Squids Odyssey, Monkey Pirates, and Nihilumbra had their dates changed to TBD.
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/224441-three-wii-u-eshop-titles-see-release-dates-changed-to-tbd

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/224444-another-7-wii-u-eshop-titles-get-dates-changed-to-tbd

Here is more changed to tba

How bout Nintendo release some games that are done instead of sitting on them or tell the devs what they need to do since Nintendo refuses to approve their game.

I'm talking about How to Survive, the devs have no clue when the game will come out and they told me they are waiting for Nintendo to approve it, this game has been out on Steam, XBL and PSN since last Nov. I dont get why NOA is sitting on the game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm talking about How to Survive, the devs have no clue when the game will come out and they told me they are waiting for Nintendo to approve it, this game has been out on Steam, XBL and PSN since last Nov. I dont get why NOA is sitting on the game.

That's incredibly frustrating to hear. I wonder how many other games are in the same position.

terrisus

I still haven't played much of EO4, but I'm considering grabbing EO Untold too. I have a problem.

I'm in the same boat - bought EO4 last sale, and still haven't really gotten into it, but will probably buy EO Untold this sale anyway.

jmizzal

That's incredibly frustrating to hear. I wonder how many other games are in the same position.

Yup, the thing is its the type of game WiiU doesnt really have many of, a co-op Zombie game, even if it is offline only, it has some nice crafting mechanics that the devs said work well with the WiiU pad since you dont have to pause the game to use it.

I mean if your gonna put out crap like My Farm why not release these guys game?

I do think these indie game delays are more to do with those games needed more time in development, but this game is done and out on everything else.

Incoming Direct Hype !1?!?!!!?!

Kidding obviously

April Direct is a given tho, we just dont know which week.

Glass Joe

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/224444-another-7-wii-u-eshop-titles-get-dates-changed-to-tbd

Here is more changed to tba

How bout Nintendo release some games that are done instead of sitting on them or tell the devs what they need to do since Nintendo refuses to approve their game.

I dunno man, How to Survive on Wii U has a history of laziness to it. The U version was the delayed version for launch and they also stripped out the online multiplayer. Now the developer is claiming that Nintendo's just been sitting on it since November, despite a steady stream of indie games coming out in the meantime for U and 3DS? I'm not in the know by any means, but this feels more like a failed lot check that they never bothered to figure out and fix. I could be wrong but I haven't heard other stories like this from indie devs.

jmizzal

I dunno man, How to Survive on Wii U has a history of laziness to it. The U version was the delayed version for launch and they also stripped out the online multiplayer. Now the developer is claiming that Nintendo's just been sitting on it since November, despite a steady stream of indie games coming out in the meantime for U and 3DS? I'm not in the know by any means, but this feels more like a failed lot check that they never bothered to figure out and fix. I could be wrong but I haven't heard other stories like this from indie devs.

The WiiU version was only delayed because it hasnt been approved by NOA yet, yea it doesnt have online multiplayer, but there are huge devs with WiiU games without that, Eko is a small dev. They didnt claim Nintendo was sitting on the game, that was coming from me. They told me last year that the game was coming soon and was waiting to be approved. I asked them again a week ago about the game, they said "yes already submitted to Nintendo, but not approved yet!"

These guys have gotten their game approved and out in Japan on other platforms, and also have adding other content to the other platform versions of the game. I doubt they dont care about the WiiU version since they finished the game and would like to get some revenue for it. If the game had a bug in it wouldnt NOA tell them? All I know they have been waiting around for months for the game to get approved.

Top Bottom