• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2014

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: How come SMB3 for WiiU now has two pages on Nintendo.com? Didn't notice that before, but they both have the same information anyway, well, almost, the screenshots are different.

Nope, they're both for the Wii U Virtual Console, for some reason. Which is why it's odd.

It's happening.

Super Mario Advance 4: SMB 3 has to be coming to the Wii U. Right?

Half off Steamworld Dig -- definitely a sale I've been waiting for.

Will finally buy this today.

I really want those Japanese exclusive e-Reader levels.
Even though Nintendo would never bother to include them anyway
Including a save with their emulation bundle? Sounds like real effort that does...

I'm in Europe and we got the game without the feature due to the card reader never coming out. I was hoping for some of the cool things like SMW cape and vegetables but nope, nothing.

zroid

Banned
Woooo SteamWorld! It's a good'un guys, but most of you know that already. I grabbed it the last time it was on sale, although it was around 30% off then, I think.

Think I'll wait for the Vita version of Steamworld Dig.

Probably not a bad idea, the 3D effect is pretty worthless. Anyone know how it handles the map? Is it just a mini-map in the corner? You definitely need to be looking there almost constantly, so having a big one on the lower screen is pretty handy, for what it's worth.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I really want those Japanese exclusive e-Reader levels.
Even though Nintendo would never bother to include them anyway

It was released in the US, too, wasn't it? Anyway, how does the e-Reader work exactly? Does it just unlock stuff that's on the cartridge anyway? That shouldn't be so hard to unlock in emulation, at least from a technical standpoint. Who knows if they do it or not.

Can't wait for Shovel Knight, hoping it won't be too much longer.

Well time to upgrade my copy of Lost Levels. But this is a case where I wish we could carry our Wii VC saves over to Wii U. My Wii VC copy of the game has a multiple star title screen with a no-warp run, would be nice if I didn't have to start over. Maybe a future homebrew app will make this possible.

Roto13

Woooo SteamWorld! It's a good'un guys, but most of you know that already. I grabbed it the last time it was on sale, although it was around 30% off then, I think.

Probably not a bad idea, the 3D effect is pretty worthless. Anyone know how it handles the map? Is it just a mini-map in the corner? You definitely need to be looking there almost constantly, so having a big one on the lower screen is pretty handy, for what it's worth.

Hmm, maybe I should consider getting the 3DS version in that case.

We'll see.

Robin64

Pokémon Link has a hideously compressed title screen logo. It's like they used quality level 1 when saving it just to keep the file size small. Really unprofessional looking.

zlCfzRnronYnG6_Ad3

It's much more noticable on the 3DS itself, but you can even see it here on the K in LINK quite easily. For shame!

Edit: Unaltered, just zoomed in.

91V680d.png

rjc571

Banned
Hmm... I'm tempted to get Steamworld Dig for half off based on all of the positive reviews, but the gameplay just doesn't seem appealing to me at all. They could really help their case by putting out a demo, because without getting to play the game for myself, I don't understand what makes the repetitive task of digging through randomly generated mines so much fun for so many people. I'll probably just wait for the PC version to show up in a humble bundle, and use that to determine if I should get one of the handheld versions down the road.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Including a save with their emulation bundle? Sounds like real effort that does...

I'm in Europe and we got the game without the feature due to the card reader never coming out. I was hoping for some of the cool things like SMW cape and vegetables but nope, nothing.

I'm cynical when it comes to Nintendo releasing things. I trust NoA even less.

It was released in the US, too, wasn't it? Anyway, how does the e-Reader work exactly? Does it just unlock stuff that's on the cartridge anyway? That shouldn't be so hard to unlock in emulation, at least from a technical standpoint. Who knows if they do it or not.

Only a few of the levels were released in the US, and none were released in Europe, like Starwolf said. To make matters worse, the cards are region-locked to only match carts of their own region. For SMB 3, I think all of the levels are in the cartridge already, but I'm not entirely sure. They shouldn't be hard to unlock, but I doubt that they would be included. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

If you want the e-Reader levels, you'll need to buy Mario 3 25th Anniversary disc for $40. Only game included is Super Mario Advance 4.

I thought the 25th Anniversary disc only emulated the SNES version since it's just a straight rom dump of the original All Stars.

L~A

Pokémon Link has a hideously compressed title screen logo. It's like they used quality level 1 when saving it just to keep the file size small. Really unprofessional looking.

zlCfzRnronYnG6_Ad3

It's much more noticable on the 3DS itself, but you can even see it here on the K in LINK quite easily. For shame!

91V680d.png

I believe Pokémon Bank has the same thing, really bleh.

Robin64

The Mario 3 levels were not in the cart already, they were on the card. Of course, all the assets, objects etc were on the cart, but the card contained the level setup. This is why the save file for the game was huge, it was writing entirely new levels to the save.

Wonder if the Pokemon company lost an uncompressed version of that Pokemon logo hence why we get artefacted bank and link ones here...

I'm cynical when it comes to Nintendo releasing things. I trust NoA even less.

I thought the 25th Anniversary disc only emulated the SNES version since it's just a straight rom dump of the original All Stars.
I'm also cynical. It was more of a snipe at Nintendo doing the bare minimum when it comes to VC emulation.

25 years of Mario 3 let's see 1989+15=2014...oh no, will that be a 2 year delay for America too?

terrisus

Lost Levels for Wii U - Already bought on 3DS
Galaga for 3DS - Already bought for Wii U

I'm somewhat tempted to buy Galaga again to have it in a fully portable form, but still, blah, nothing new really.

I'm also cynical. It was more of a snipe at Nintendo doing the bare minimum when it comes to VC emulation.

It would make it easily one of the best selling VC titles, but I have a feeling that someone on the "VC team" will reach the faulty conclusion that they'll sell nearly as many copies using the vanilla version. Nintendo goes through extremely brief periods of understanding that rare or exclusive releases sell (S&P, Earthbound) followed by long stretches of extremely common games, plenty of which that are not regarded too highly.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Is the Steamworld Dig sale US only?

Edit:
Just checked and it's also live I Europe, nice.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
That was just a joke based on the rip-off that was the Mario anniversary collection.

25 years of Mario 3 let's see 1989+15=2014...oh no, will that be a 2 year delay for America too?

My sarcasm/joke meter is on the fritz today. I need more sleep.

It's here, behold:

That actually looks good. So shiny.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh hey, it's the Platinum Reward that the US Club Nintendo got back in 2012. That's the 2nd platinum reward (first being that Mario figurine) that's ended up on the EU CN for purchase.

M3d10n

zlCfzRnronYnG6_Ad3

91V680d.png

That's standard GPU texture compression. There are no "quality levels", it's either on or off (and saves 75% VRAM when enabled).

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Club Nintendo Rewards

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• CastleStorm (Zen Studios)
    The Warrior Queen ($2.99)
  • Star Wars Pinball (Zen Studios)
    Balance of the Force ($9.99)

Wii U | Virtual Console

Wii U | Sales

• F1 Race Stars Powered Up Edition (Codemasters | $14.99 until 03/19, then $29.99)

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Wakedas (CIRCLE Ent | Demo Version)

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

• Galaga (Namco Bandai Games | NES | $4.99)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• SteamWorld Dig (Image & Form | $4.49 until 03/16, then $8.99)
  • Lola's Math Train (BeiZ | $1.99 until 03/27, then $3.99)
  • Star Wars Pinball (Zen Studios | $3.49 until 03/31, then $6.99) Upcoming 03/17
  • Marvel Pinball 3D (Zen Studios | $3.99 until 03/31, then $7.99) Upcoming 03/17
  • Zen Pinball 3D (Zen Studios | $3.49 | £2.24 until 03/31, then $6.99) Upcoming 03/17
  • Classic Games Overload: Card & Puzzle Edition (Telegames | $14.99 until 04/01, then $29.99)

vYU92.png

• CastleStorm (Zen Studios)
    The Warrior Queen (€2.99 | £2.39)
  • Star Wars Pinball (Zen Studios)
    Balance of the Force (€9.99 | £8.99)

Wii U | Virtual Console

• Double Dragon (Arc System Works | NES *US Version* | €4.99 | £3.49)
  • Super Dodge Ball (Arc System Works | NES *US Version* | €4.99 | £3.49)

Wii U | Sales

• Bit.Trip Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Gaijin Games | €3.99 | £3.33 until 03/20, then €11.99 | £9.99)
  • Dr. Luigi (Nintendo | €9.99 | £8.99 until 03/18, then €14.99 | £13.49)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo | €2.49 | £1.74 until 03/18, then €4.99 | £3.49)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Luigi's Mansion 2 (Nintendo | €35.99 | £31.99 until 03/18, then €44.99 | £39.99)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo | €2.49 | £1.74 until 03/18, then €4.99 | £3.49)
  • SteamWorld Dig (Image & Form | €4.49 | £3.99 until 03/20, then €8.99 | £7.99)
  • Star Wars Pinball (Zen Studios | €3.49 | £3.14 until 03/20, then €6.99 | £6.29)
  • Marvel Pinball 3D (Zen Studios | €3.49 | £3.14 until 03/20, then €6.99 | £6.29)
  • Zen Pinball 3D (Zen Studios | €2.49 | £2.24 until 03/20, then €4.99 | £4.49)
  • Wakedas (CIRCLE Ent | €1.99 | £1.69 until 03/27, then €2.99 | £2.50)
  • Witch & Hero (CIRCLE Ent | €1.99 | £1.79 until 03/27, then €4.00 | £3.60)
  • World Conqueror 3D (CIRCLE Ent | €3.99 | £3.59 until 03/27, then €4.99 | £4.49)

uxwGK.png

Wii U | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Is F1 Race Stars worth 14,99?

Looks like I will be getting Steamworld Dig and Runner 2, not sure about F1 Race Stars as I am busy with DKC TF, SM3DW and LoZ WW HD.

They're removing Nintendo Video after the 31st. What a devastating development.
You should be able to re-watch any downloaded videos forever as long as you saved the massive cache file it made for each set...

Otherwise, you'll just to have buy Shawn the sheep 3D from the eShop.

Chopper

I can't remember the last time I really liked a video on NV.
Me neither. It's worthless. It's remarkable how they completely failed to capitalise on the service. No reason at all it couldn't have been useful. I only noticed eShop updates over the last few weeks.

zroid

Banned
Pretty much there were two good things to come from Nintendo Video... the Kid Icarus shorts (which are awesome and I really hope they make available to download after NV is killed off), and Dinosaur Office (which got old pretty fast, but it was amusing at first).

Refyref

I've almost never watched Nintendo Video. That and the sports video app are the only 2 things to be region locked by IP on the 3DS, Probably due to the crazy licenses video content have. No point using a proxy just for that app. So I can't say anything about it shutting down, since I couldn't use it.

I did get to see almost all the Kid Icarus episodes, at least. Those were pretty cool.

terrisus

I'm glad I bought Lost Levels on Wii way back when. I'll definitely drop a buck on it this evening for the upgrade.

This post actually reminded me that I had bought Lost Levels on the Wii.
I guess despite having it on the 3DS already, getting it again for the WiiU for $1 isn't that bad a deal.

Now I just need to wait until I can get my WiiU back from my wife, who is using it for Netflix.
Ah well.

oatmeal

Banned
YAY ONE GAME AGAIN

They solved the problem to release more games but darn it, they're going to hold onto that technology.

Top Bottom