• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2014

bjork

What baseball game are you talking about? The only one I can think of is Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, but that doesn't seem like what you're talking about.

I'm sorry, the Arc Systems game that came out today.

Rusty's is good fun too, but this one is more like a traditional game instead of drills.

Finally beat Rage of the Gladiator. Fun game. Definitely worth 3.50 I got it for. Last boss was a complete joke though. Good punchout clone, but Punchout is still better.

Is this one of the best months for Wii U eShop releases? This is even w/ the Armillo delay.

5/1 - Stick it to the Man
5/1 - Abyss
5/15 - Scram Kitty
5/15 - Color Zen (?)
5/22 - Swords & Soldiers HD
5/22 - Squids Odyssey

Not bad.
Hasn't been too bad at all. There's been a decent amount of stuff every week and the quality has been relatively high. Stick it to the Man, Abyss HD and Scram Kitty are all really good. Even Color Zen is pretty good. (Though it really should have been a $2 3DS game.)

Can't wait to play Swords and Soldiers again, I bought the 3DS version on sale a while back and it's pretty bad. (There's an update coming to fix the frame rate and add the sausagefest DLC...but who knows when that's coming.) It'll be nice to play a good version of the game and the local multiplayer should be pretty definitive with each person having their own screen.

It also seems that Ittle Dew is featured on the front page of the eShop. Being that the game is supposedly done, we'll probably see that in short order as well.

Finally beat Rage of the Gladiator. Fun game. Definitely worth 3.50 I got it for. Last boss was a complete joke though. Good punchout clone, but Punchout is still better.

I really enjoyed Rage of Gladiator on WiiWare and 3DS. I was surprised by the quality of the 3DS port, Gamelion's work can be pretty spotty. Maybe one day we'll get a Two Tribes port of the iOS version with added WM+ support as well.

yaesir

I just finished MOON Chronicles in 1h30min, I never played the original on the DS so everything was new to me.

This release includes the prologue and chapters 1 through 4. I didn't do any VR missions and i think i'll have to replay to unlock that.

Biggest chapter by far was Chapter 2, others were pretty fast, one of the chapters took less than 1min.

The 3D is quite nice, and it looks like the resolution is quite bumped up when the 3D is not on (there seems to be some AA, or it's just the increased resolution). Sound was nice too.

The one thing is that the videos seem to be quite low resolution, like i said i never played the original DS version but i wouldn't be suprised if it was the exact same videos.

Overall it could've been bigger, but a good game.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I've Got to Run confirmed for June 5th release in NA
May 16, 2014 by RawmeatCowboy
- due out Thursday, June 5th, 2014
- $1.99 USD, $2.19 CAD, 26 Mexican Pesos, and $4.50 Brazilian Reals
- EU release date to be confirmed

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/228452-i-ve-got-to-run-confirmed-for-june-5th-release-in-na

Adding to the Wii U eShop recent/future release list

4/25 - NES Remix 2
4/30 - Child of Light
5/1 - Abyss
5/15 - Scram Kitty
5/15 - Color Zen (?)
5/22 - Squids Odyssey
6/5 - I've got to Run

zroid

Banned
I'm losing my mind waiting for Shovel Knight. It's got to the point where I'm constantly checking Yacht Club Games' twitter feed for updates on whether it's been approved for release.

Fucking hell. Nintendo I hate you so much. I bought Punch Out again cause I never beat it on the Wii. I own it twice now, and as much as I hate myself for spending money again on it, Mike Tyson (Mr Dream, whatever) is going the fuck down.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Is this one of the best months for Wii U eShop releases? This is even w/ the Armillo delay.

5/1 - Abyss
5/15 - Scram Kitty
5/15 - Color Zen (?)
5/22 - Squids Odyssey

Not bad.
I'm in love with Stick it to the Man. It managed to evaporated my bad mood from this morning's encounter with the new NN ToS.

Fucking hell. Nintendo I hate you so much. I bought Punch Out again cause I never beat it on the Wii. I own it twice now, and as much as I hate myself for spending money again on it, Mike Tyson (Mr Dream, whatever) is going the fuck down.

You know that you can transfer VC games to your WiiU for free?

Penguin

Is anyone doing a SQUIDS Odyssey OT?

Enjoying the game a good amount right now.

Though it is just mobile games bundled together, I believe

JoeM86

This week, in Europe

Wii U
Squids Odyssey €12.99 (£9.99)
Swords & Soldiers €2.99 (£2.69)
Color Zen €2.99 (£2.99)

Wii U Virtual Console
Klonoa™: Empire of Dreams (GBA) €6.99 (£6.29)

3DS
Picross e4 $5.00 (£4.50)
Touch Battle Tank 3D 2 €4.99 (£4.49)
Turtle Tale €2.99 (£2.49)
Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return £19.99

3DS Virtual Console
Double Dragon II: The Revenge €4.99 (£4.49)

===========
Special Offers

3DS
AeternoBlade €7.99 (£6.59) until 29/05/14 23:59 local time
Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2012 €4.99 (£4.99) until 05/06/14 23:59 local time.

This week, in Europe

Wii U
Squids Odyssey
Swords & Soldiers
Color Zen

Wii U Virtual Console
Klonoa™: Empire of Dreams (GBA)

3DS
Picross e4 $5.00 (£4.50)
Touch Battle Tank 3D 2
Turtle Tale
Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return

3DS Virtual Console
Double Dragon II: The Revenge

Oh my fucking god !

3rd parties are on the way :D !

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Due to Vita's present just received, I'm crating a small backlog of Wii U eshop games.
I'm planning to get as soon as possible: Child of light, Sword and soldier HD, Scram Kitty and maybe Stick it to the man.

JoeM86

There will be more SNES games on WiiU? Right?
Right?

I recently made a list of all NES, SNES and GBA games, first party, that could come and couldn't depending on various reasons. We're actually running low on NES and SNES, and without third parties bringing their titles (aside from Konami and Namco), we'd run out soon enough.

Has there ever been an explanation for the lack of Enix titles ...even on the old Wii VC ?

I´d love to buy some of the lesser known titles like Robotrek, or the Quintet trilogy (Terranigma etc. )...but alas...

Rubixcuba

Banned
I recently made a list of all NES, SNES and GBA games, first party, that could come and couldn't depending on various reasons. We're actually running low on NES and SNES, and without third parties bringing their titles (aside from Konami and Namco), we'd run out soon enough.
If they run out they'll need release those N64 games, eh? Eh?

JoeM86

If they run out they'll need release those N64 games, eh? Eh?

N64 and DS, yeah :p

Here's the list again (mostly talking EU. Some, like Mach Rider, have made it in the US)

Within a discussion on another forum, I decided to list all first party NES, SNES & GBA titles that we don't have in Europe and it's a rather startling low amount. I've bolded ones that are likely/probable and listed potential reasons why we won't get others. It's somewhat interesting.

I've bolded the ones that we are likely to get due to nothing blocking it

NES
Devil World
F-1 Race - Unlikely due to license
Wild Gunman - Unlikely due to needing the Zapper
Duck Hunt - Unlikely due to needing the Zapper
Hogan's Alley - Unlikely due to needing the Zapper
Baseball
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Kung-Fu Master - Unlikely due to the license (was based on a Jackie Chan movie)
Stack-up - Unlikely due to needing R.O.B.
Gyromite - Unlikely due to needing R.O.B.
Mach Rider
Donkey Kong Jr.
Gumshoe - Unlikely due to needing Zapper
Nazo no Murasame Jo - Japan only
Pro Wrestling
Slalom - Actually unsure about this. Was made by Rare.
Soccer
Famicom Grand Prix: F1 Race - Japan Only
Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally - Japan Only
R.C. Pro-Am - Same as Slalom
Famicom Wars - Japan Only
Tetris
Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir - Japan only
Cobra Triangle - Same as Slalom
Mother - Japan Only
Barker Bill's Trick Shooting - Licensing issues
NES Play Action Football - North America only
Star Tropics
Snake Rattle 'n' Roll - Same as Slalom & Mattel Licensing issues
Pin-Bot - Same as Slalom
Nintendo World Cup - Japan Only
Time Twist: On the Outskirts of History... - Japan Only
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Japan Only
Fire Emblem Gaiden - Japan Only
Yoshi's Cookie
Joy Mech Fight - Japan Only
Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II

SNES
SimCity - Unsure. It's still on the EU Wii VC, but got removed from the US
Super Tennis
Mario Paint - Unlikely (Mouse required)
Super Scope 6 - Unlikely (Super Scope required)
Battle Clash - Unlikely (Super Scope required)
Super Play Action Football - NA Only. Unlikely due to license
World League Basketball - Unlikely due to license
StarFox - Super FX chip makes it unlikely
Yoshi's Safari - Unlikely (Super Scope Required)
Super Mario All-Stars - I don't think this is likely, unfortunately
Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge - Unlikely (Super Scope Required)
Super Hockey - Unlikely due to license
Mario & Wario - Unlikely (Japan only and Mouse required)
Stunt Race FX - Super FX chip makes it unlikely
Super Punch-Out - Japan got this last month so likely!
Tin Star - North America Only
Ken Griffey, Jr. Presents Major League Baseball - NA Only. Unlikely due to license
Donkey Kong Country
Uniracers - Not going to happen due to lawsuit by Pixar
Wario's Woods - We got the NES version
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Japan only
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Super FX chip makes it unlikely
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Kirby's Ghost Trap
Super Mario RPG (Requires Square Enix to pull their foot out)
Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Winning Run - Unlikely due to license
Tetris Attack
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
Kirby's Star Stacker
Wrecking Crew '98 - Japan only. Unlikely.
Super Famicom Wars - Japan only
Sutte Hakkun - Japan Only
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - Japan only

GBA
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Super Mario Advance
Wario Land 4
(Japan got it)
Kuru Kuru Kururin
Magical Vacation - Japan only
Disney's Magical Quest Starring Mickey & Minnie - Unlikely (License)
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
(Japan got it)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords

Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (Japan got it)
Tomato Adventure - Japan only
Domo-Kun no Fushigi Terebi - Japan only
Koro Koro Puzzle Happy Panechu! - Japan only
Fire Emblem: Fuin no Tsurugi - Japan only
Sakura Momoko no Ukiuki Carnival - Japan only
Custom Robo GX - Japan only
Densetsu no Stafy - Japan only
Kururin Paradise - Japan only
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Donkey Kong Country

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Requires Square Enix)
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak (Licensing)
Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue (Licensing)
Pokémon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire
Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire - Never going to happen
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
Sword of Mana (Requires Square Enix)
Top Gear Rally - Unlikely due to licensing
Mother 1 + 2 - Japan only
Densetsu no Stafy 2 - Japan only
Donkey Kong Country 2
F-Zero GP Legend
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls (Requires Square Enix)
Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games (Licensing)
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Mario Pinball Land
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid: Zero Mission

Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen - Not going to happen
Densetsu no Stafy 3 - Japan only
F-Zero Climax - Japan only
DK: King of Swing
Donkey Kong Country 3

Dr. Mario & Puzzle League
Dynasty Warriors Advance - Requires Tecmo Koei
Final Fantasy IV Advance - Requires Square Enix
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Japan got it)
Mario Party Advance
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
(Japan got it)
Pokémon Emerald - Not going to happen
WarioWare: Twisted! - Tilt control could make it tricky
Yoshi Topsy-Turvy - Tilt control could make it tricky
Sennen Kazoku - Japan only
Nonono Puzzle Chalien - Japan only
Drill Dozer
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
Eyeshield 21: Devilbats Devildays - Japan only
Mother 3 - Japan only
Calciobit - Japan only

L~A

This week, in Europe

Wii U
Squids Odyssey €12.99 (£9.99)
Swords & Soldiers €2.99 (£2.69)
Color Zen €2.99 (£2.99)

Wii U Virtual Console
Klonoa™: Empire of Dreams (GBA) €6.99 (£6.29)

3DS
Picross e4 $5.00 (£4.50)
Touch Battle Tank 3D 2 €4.99 (£4.49)
Turtle Tale €2.99 (£2.49)
Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return £19.99

3DS Virtual Console
Double Dragon II: The Revenge €4.99 (£4.49)

===========
Special Offers

3DS
AeternoBlade €7.99 (£6.59) until 29/05/14 23:59 local time
Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2012 €4.99 (£4.99) until 05/06/14 23:59 local time.

Pretty decent week overall, but nothing for me (then again, a bit busy with last week's purchase, so I ain't complaining).
Tempted by AeterNoBlade at this price, but too much stuff on my plate at the moment...

N64 and DS, yeah :p

Here's the list again (mostly talking EU. Some, like Mach Rider, have made it in the US)

I hope Nintendo will work with third parties to bring them to release their titles...
I want Hagane, I want FF6 and Secret of Mana (again, cause I want to play them on the gamepad), I want parodius, R-Type, hell, there are so much good SNES titles!

The hell with DS VC, I have a 3DS, I can play DS titles! Just release them on E-shop!

This was the usual monday morning "VC sucks"

JoeM86

I hope Nintendo will work with third parties to bring them to release their titles...
I want Hagane, I want FF6 and Secret of Mana (again, cause I want to play them on the gamepad), I want parodius, R-Type, hell, there are so much good SNES titles!

The hell with DS VC, I have a 3DS, I can play DS titles! Just release them on E-shop!

This was the usual monday morning "VC sucks"

DS titles can't work on the 3DS eShop.

JoeM86

We can download DSiware, why wouldn't it be possible to release retail DS titles on 3DS e-shop (not talking about VC here)?
I am not a techie so sorry if what I say makes no sense.

For one, the memory allocated on the 3DS hardware for DSi downloads is small, some DS games won't fit on it.

Second, the way the saves work would have to require massive recoding to get working on the 3DS.

It's really not as easy as people think with these things. It's not as simple as putting the file up on the eShop to download

For one, the memory allocated on the 3DS hardware for DSi downloads is small, some DS games won't fit on it.

Second, the way the saves work would have to require massive recoding to get working on the 3DS.

It's really not as easy as people think with these things. It's not as simple as putting the file up on the eShop to download

thanks for the explanation!
well, let's go back play Stick it to the man! (great game!)

Qurupeke

So, that Pokemon Link game... Is it any good? It's kind of expensive but it seems fun. I guess a sale would take a long time to happen too.

Refyref

While DS games can likely work as 3DS digital downloads if Nintendo would just wrap them up as 3DS applications, releasing them as native DS programs to run like DSiWare won't work, since the DS BC mode can't load games off the SD card, and is limited to 256MB of the internal storage. That makes it hard to store more than one at a time, and many won't even fit.

BriBri

releasing them as native DS programs to run like DSiWare won't work
But the link I posted is for Coro Pata released just last month so they can work and I'm guessing not much work was involved by LukPlus as it's not exactly like it sold a million downloads.

Like digital download of retail DSiWare has some differing save writing routines which requires the developers to do more than hand over a ROM (I'm sure there could be a firmware layer solution). There are also limitations on space. Speaking of which wasn't the Japanese release of Advance Wars Days of Ruin (Club Nintendo reward) 64 megabytes so most games would work. Unless they made it smaller by further downgrading the audio (the KHz of the CO themes is pretty low so they sound muffled).

Oh my fucking god !

3rd parties are on the way :D !
I'd have a look at the VC to get an idea of who is participating. Given Komani I'm really hoping for Mega Ma...oh wait that joke only works the other way round. Given Konami I'm really hoping for Ninja 5-O as it would be nice to have a way to buy this game that doesn't cost like $100.

So, that Pokemon Link game... Is it any good? It's kind of expensive but it seems fun. I guess a sale would take a long time to happen too.
Most people are positive. A few people however found it was not their cup of tea. It seems like the kind of game that once you "get it" you can keep the game almost perpetually (as in the difficulty peaks a bit early). It still has the occasional tricky stage (there is one that is all
Unown and you have to match 3 of each letter
).

Refyref

But the link I posted is for Coro Pata released just last month so they can work and I'm guessing not much work was involved by LukPlus as it's not exactly like it sold a million downloads.

Oh, I'm not saying that games that were retail DS games can't be released on DSiWare, there's already been examples of that in the past. But you have to fit it in the ~27MB limit that DSiWare has. (Or was it 16MB?)

Refyref

Well that's certainly more than the 27MB you quoted. (I think it's 125MB).

Do you have it? Is it stored as a 3DS game or as DSiWare? Because if it's the latter, then you would be limited to 128MB (1024 blocks of total open space for DSiWare), which is too little.
(By the way, for future reference: 1 Block = 1 Megabit, or 128 Kilobytes.)

EDIT: Oh, I see. In that case, you'd be limited to holding only 128MB of DS games that way.

BriBri

Do you have it? Is it stored as a 3DS game or as DSiWare? Because if it's the latter, then you would be limited to 128MB (1024 blocks of total open space for DSiWare), which is too little.
(By the way, for future reference: 1 Block = 1 Megabit, or 128 Kilobytes.)
See my post above. They both are DSiWare so as I said earlier DS games CAN work as DSiWare.

Top Bottom