• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

Prototype

3RwiZxx.png

holy fucking shit. No way those are the same game.

It's unbelievable.

Sputtid

Banned
Went down the Rabbit hole a bit for other Halfbrick games, and went to look at our two Avatar: The Last Airbender games.

Here we have The Last Airbender, the movie tie in, though we did a lot of Avatar games, this was the last one.

Great art style, thanks for sharing.

Here are some shots from Hotel Dusk. It didn't look as good as I thought, but it confirmed my suspicion that the game used jitter AA to achieve its signature soft look.

rjc571

Banned
How does Ni No Kuni hold up? If I'm not mistaken, the DS game has a lot more polygonal elements than you'd think from looking at screenshots.

Too me, this is pretty unimpressive. Seeing meh looking games in HD doesn't have the same effect as a console/handheld that isn't on low end hardware(PS1 games in HD for example) No thanks.

18-Volt

Hats off to Nintendo, for hating better resolutions soooo bad. It's 2014, and we still have to play Nintendo games on a puny 400x240 screen. And it's a 5" screen.

Has anyone done it with the Castlevania DS games?

It's not going to do anything to sprite art. This only improves games with polygon geometry (3D models). 90% of any given Castlevania DS game are 2D sprites.

Just go find any screenshot on the internet and blow it up 4x. It'll be the same effect.

Foffy

Banned
Has anyone done it with the Castlevania DS games?

The closest thing to HDing 2D games would be the XBR filter, which this build of the emulator has. I'll take a few shots for you. People who love pixelation be damned! This filter attempts to smoothen out the pixelation to create a more solid image. The black borders are because it's in 4:3, by the way; I simply took screenshots of the game in full screen. The XBR scaler in this emulator does not seem particularly good, however...Retroarch and PPSSPP seem to have less blurry results with the scaler.

Reversed

Eugh, what a terrible request I made. :lol Perhaps the only plus I'd see are the improvements shown on few polygonal enemies and model backgrounds from PoR.

Sputtid

Banned
I just checked KH:Days, and holy-moley, it looks great but runs like shit.
Notebook i7 am cry. I might have to overclock it and even then 4x might not be possible.

DeSmume relies on single core performance, right?

Foffy

Banned
I want to make a test to see if the xBR filter in DeSmuME is sort of current. xBR has been updated rather significantly over the last year or so, but I keep getting the inkling that the more I toy with it in this emulator, it's nothing more than a small boost over the HQX filter, which is a pretty ancient filter. Considering this, I want to take a moment and compare something that can be used in Retroarch (this emulator supports the largest array of xBR variations), and compare it to DeSmuME. There might be a slight difference in overall quality however, as I want to compare similar games on different platforms (Retroarch supports DeSmuME, but I believe the core for it is busted, at least in the build I have). I'll be using Sanic as an example.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Retroarch, xBR 5.0-No Blend, Genesis)

Sonic the Hedgehog (DEmuME, xBR4, DS)

The DS version is sort of stretched and that is the nature of the port, but that doesn't hide the fact that the version of xBR being used is not as sharp, crisp, or clear in the use of the filter as the one found in Retroarch. I think you can easily no longer ask for any footage of 2D games like this for this emulator; the filter in place is pretty shitty. The trees have jaggies! :p

M3d10n

It's almost as if Nintendo and some other developers use textures that are above the resolution the NDS can display for some reason.

In Metroid's case, it's an FPS. The textures are designed to be seen up close, so of course you get a massive detail boost in panoramic shots when you increase the resolution. For example, Quake 1 on the PC gets a similar boost when you compare 320x240 to 1024x768.

M3d10n

I just realized all screenshots are missing the DS edge antialiasing. This makes the low res one a bit worse than they actually should be.

How did you guys capture the video from the emulator? The internal avi capturer doesn't record in high resolution unfortunately...

I was considering posting some videos of Metroid Prime: Hunters and Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt (no, really...)

Man, even a simple 3DS port with texture filtering and AA (and 60fps) would make a world of difference.

Inazuma Eleven was one that got said treatment. Did it run in 60fps on DS? What about on 3DS?

Idolmaster, Phantasy Star 0, Okamiden, just some of the games that'd look great with the simplest of effort on 3DS.

Rayman 2 could've gotten 60fps easy on 3DS if they went with the DS version as opposed to the DC version, which is bizarre as the DC version was flawless 60fps and one of the main reasons it was the fav (which is why they chose it), but they REALLY botched it. Even the PS2 version would've been best with an identical framerate, at least the raw graphics would've been at their best.

Anyone got Tales of the Tempest? Someone put up shots of Innocence, but I'd love to see Tempest as well. :)

Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword also, that's gotta look good, though aren't the background pre-rendered? Boss battles are full 3D I think.

Oh, and don't forget Shin'en's library! Nanostray 2 especially!

Takao

Banned
Someone do Medarot DS in the midst of a battle. Exploration is done in sprites, but battles are 3D. The graphics are ugly, but I want to see how ugly.

jediyoshi

How did you guys capture the video from the emulator? The internal avi capturer doesn't record in high resolution unfortunately...

I was considering posting some videos of Metroid Prime: Hunters and Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt (no, really...)

For me, once you start running at a higher resolution, the emulator gets picked up by fraps (though weirdly not running natively).

Top Bottom