• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

rjc571

Banned
What would 2 circle pads do? And the 3DS does better graphics than this already.

It's a classic case of Stockholm syndrome. People are so accustomed to using controllers saddled with a second joystick that they can't understand/accept that the second joystick is worthless in 99.999% of all games. If you want to control the camera angle, a gyroscope and a recenter button gets the job done a lot more efficiently than waggling the right joystick around.

It's a classic case of Stockholm syndrome. People are so accustomed to using controllers saddled with a second joystick that they can't understand/accept that the second joystick is worthless in 99.999% of all games. If you want to control the camera angle, a gyroscope and a recenter button gets the job done a lot more efficiently than waggling the right joystick around.

Pretty much, except I'd say camera controls mapped to shoulder buttons are best.

Camera control is really important in all games,obviously. However, I absolutely hate moving the idea of moving the game screen in order to control the camera. Wiimote type gyroscopic control where it is seperate from the screen is a far better solution, but this would be impractical for handhelds, obviously.

And even then, gyroscopic control only feels natural if it's a first person game,I don't like it if the game is played mostly in a third person view.

Kira Kira Pop Princess (ie; Pinky Street: Kira Kira Music Hour in Japan) would be interesting if anyone's got it. Had basic cel-shaded character models that should lend themselves well to the emulator's magic.

ZpB9wK5.jpg

Rockin' Pretty:

Pretty much K-ON! Lite Edition. Models look alright.

Shiiiieeettt, I remember wanting to import this back in the day, but Play-Asia failed to secure enough stock. Now I want to try and get it again. =x

Chatin

Went down the Rabbit hole a bit for other Halfbrick games, and went to look at our two Avatar: The Last Airbender games.

Here we have The Last Airbender, the movie tie in, though we did a lot of Avatar games, this was the last one.

tla2.png

tla2-1.png
Those eyes.The lower resolution sends him nutty.

Requesting the following
  • Archaic Sealed Heat - 2D sprites on 3D background
  • Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 - full 3D
  • Jet Impulse - full 3D

I'd like to see the following as well:

Spidey: Shattered Dimensions
AssCreed II Discovery, both of these are by the Shinobi 3DS team.
AssCreed Altair's Chronicles
Brothers in Arms DS, both of these are by Gameloft, I remember BIA being almost touted as a AAA release.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Are you recommending gyroscope controls as a comparable alternative to a right thumb stick?

Because that is absolutely bonkers.

Also to say a second stick is worthless in 99.9999% of all games is one, obviously hyperbole, and two, your own personal Stockholm syndrome because you can't imagine a way that games which haven't used the stick before might possibly use one in the future.

Most modern games use that stick for something, and those that don't could have used it for something helpful, and many older games could have likely benefited from having one.

What would 2 circle pads do? And the 3DS does better graphics than this already.
For camera control.
It would break the 3D effect on the 3DS, plus motion camera control is better suited for split control device as the Wii Remote.
Pretty much, except I'd say camera controls mapped to shoulder buttons are best.
There's a bigger amount of control by using a motion controlled camera or thumbstick than shoulder buttons alone.
And even then, gyroscopic control only feels natural if it's a first person game,I don't like it if the game is played mostly in a third person view.
Well the Wii Remote demostrated how you can easily control the camera in thrid person games with motion, it works as good as a thumbstick but has the advantage that your thumb is free to push a button while you manipulate the camera.
Are you recommending gyroscope controls as a comparable alternative to a right thumb stick?

Have you played any Wii games that use motion to control the camera or a Glove pie script to do so? I ask because it works fine. Had the Wii had better specs you could have ended controlling games today like that XD

LilJoka

Anyone getting decent fps with the 4x High Res mode?
Also are you meant to diable soft rasterizer with the high res mode enabled?

I tried Pokemon Black and dipped to 20fps at 4x, 20% CPU usage of 3770 @ 4.2Ghz.

rjc571

Banned

The setup used in Ocarina of Time 3D (hold L to center camera, move system while holding L to move camera) was the best camera control system of all time outside of mouse and keyboard. It allowed you to look around much faster and with more precision than using a joystick, and unlike joystick controls, your right thumb was free to do more important things such as pressing buttons.
For camera control.

It would break the 3D effect on the 3DS, plus motion camera control is better suited for split control device as the Wii Remote.

Using the gyroscope to control the camera in OoT 3D didn't break the 3D effect. You only lose the 3D effect if you tilt the system at an angle, not if you move it around.

Foffy

Banned
God, NTS really used some high quality textures for this game.

Dreamcast game:

19432-rayman-2-the-great-escape-dreamcast-screenshot-a-pirate-s.jpg

wow...

That is not a fair comparison. A fair comparison would be to compare the quality of Rayman 2 on Dreamcast in an emulator as well, which I would assume offers better results.

That is not a fair comparison. A fair comparison would be to compare the quality of Rayman 2 on Dreamcast in an emulator as well, which I would assume offers better results.

Well, you would have to turn off the filtering in an emulator to compare the Dreamcast version. The DC game still looks like it has higher resolution textures and Rayman himself seems to be made of more polygons. But the DS game still compares pretty well to it. By the looks of it the DS Rayman 2 looks somewhere in between the N64 game and Dreamcast version.

Well, you would have to turn off the filtering in an emulator to compare the Dreamcast version. The DC game still looks like it has higher resolution textures and Rayman himself seems to be made of more polygons. But the DS game still compares pretty well to it. By the looks of it the DS Rayman 2 looks somewhere in between the N64 game and Dreamcast version.

I'd like to see a comparison of the N64 version in the same res with no filtering.

Using the gyroscope to control the camera in OoT 3D didn't break the 3D effect. You only lose the 3D effect if you tilt the system at an angle, not if you move it around.
That's paning the camera around, is not what we see in the mayority of games. Typically 3rd person perspective games use a panoramic camera that pivots and tilts around the player character (example Wind Waker). For controlling that type of camera with motion, an split controller is more apt. Doing so with two hands and in a portable is far from optimal.

How would you say...playing Wind Waker in the 3DS rotate the camera left and downwards?

Do you understand now?

Edit: APologies for the of topic. If you want to discuss this further we could open up a thread.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The setup used in Ocarina of Time 3D (hold L to center camera, move system while holding L to move camera) was the best camera control system of all time outside of mouse and keyboard. It allowed you to look around much faster and with more precision than using a joystick, and unlike joystick controls, your right thumb was free to do more important things such as pressing buttons.

Perhaps part of this has to do with me being comfortable using a claw grip when I play, but

I've always found a second stick much preferred to gyroscope for controlling the camera. Panning has been iffy at best whenever I've used it for camera control, and having to move the entire system around to look around can get really annoying and actually feel unintuitive.

I get that it's supposed to feel natural but in application it just hasn't.

Turning a camera around feel totally easy and normal with a second stick, but turning your entire body around while playing a handheld game just feels dopey.

A unique request; can anyone with Pokemon Dash attempt to snap an HD shot of the Ambrella logo at the beginning? I'm hoping there's at least a higher-res shot of it hidden in it.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Could somebody try out the Dementium games? I feel they'd really benefit from this.

FAKE EDIT: Question was asked.
Damn. Some nice detail in the textures. Anybody tried the Dementium games?

Sputtid

Banned
Could somebody try out the Dementium games? I feel they'd really benefit from this.

FAKE EDIT: Question was asked.

I tried it before you guys requested it, but didn't take any pictures, because it was pretty underwhelming. The realistic artstyle doesn't lend itself to higher resolutions as well as all these stylized games.

I wonder how jet impulse would look.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618056

the plane renders suggest those would at least look okay, lol

Jet Impulse is an AMAZING DS game... Very good 3d visuals for a DS game (especially the mission replays), nice draw distance, fully voiced over too. Arcadey flight sim that is really fun. Had a blast with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksIolu65CbI

Also, someone asked for the best 3D DS racing game, that would be GRID DS looks nice and runs at a buttery smooth 60fps too

A unique request; can anyone with Pokemon Dash attempt to snap an HD shot of the Ambrella logo at the beginning? I'm hoping there's at least a higher-res shot of it hidden in it.

Nope. It's the same regardless of HD rendering.

I'd love to see some Avalon Code, definitely one of the prettiest DS games.

Avalon Code would look great with this. Can anyone try it?

I feel like that one screen provided didn't do the game justice. Some more screens from Avalon Code:

I'll do some other requests that people said as well.

I'm interested in seeing Ni No Kuni pictures

There is an unfortunate reality for Ni No Kuni....nearly every single background element of the game is a 2D sprite.

So when you take screenshots:

The only real difference are the characters (who thankfully are 3D models). Unfortunately, rendering the scene in HD yields the same exact background...we don't get any extra detail.

The lighting is pre-rendered just like all of the background elements.

Here is an example where we see some 3D models besides the characters. The table, the chairs, and the toast are 3D because the character models interact with them, but everything else is pre-rendered sprites.

Another one. Everything besides the car and the characters is 2D.

rjc571

Banned
There is an unfortunate reality for Ni No Kuni....nearly every single background element of the game is a 2D sprite.

So when you take screenshots:

The only real difference are the characters (who thankfully are 3D models). Unfortunately, rendering the scene in HD yields the same exact background...we don't get any extra detail.

The lighting is pre-rendered just like all of the background elements.

Here is an example where we see some 3D models besides the characters. The table, the chairs, and the toast are 3D because the character models interact with them, but everything else is pre-rendered sprites.

Another one. Everything besides the car and the characters is 2D.

Ah too bad, I was under the impression that parts of the environment were 3D for some reason.

How does it look in battles?

Ah too bad, I was under the impression that parts of the environment were 3D for some reason.

How does it look in battles?

There are some 3D elements, definitely.

3D cutscenes:

However, a lot of the cutscenes look like this:

And, the battles are 3D as well:

It's just the main exploration part of the game that's majority pre-rendered 2D.

Can you also try Rune Factory 3?

Very little benefit from rendering in HD.

The only elements that are 3D are the characters / monsters, and unfortunately the characters were modeled in a way that they would be optimized for such a tiny resolution. So when you render them in HD, the models look very strange and every other element is unchanged.

Honestly, it looks like an early PS1 game.

Very little benefit from rendering in HD.

The only elements that are 3D are the characters / monsters, and unfortunately the characters were modeled in a way that they would be optimized for such a tiny resolution. So when you render them in HD, the models look very strange and every other element is unchanged.

Honestly, it looks like an early PS1 game.

What other games so you have you can test? I asked above, but would you happen to have Transformers: War for Cybertron Autobots?

Top Bottom