• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

Datschge

Both of those games are made with 2D sprites. Running them in "HD" will literally do nothing as it won't change the assets involved.

Not Radiant Historia, that's sprite characters and 3D backgrounds just like Pokemon. It's a very common technique on DS actually. Advance Wars 3/4, Tales of Hearts, Heroes of Mana, FFXII Revenant Wings (this one should look great in HD) are other examples of this, with very likely a lot of other unmentioned ones.

Want to second the request for Nanostray 2.

Also I think Ghost Trick would be worth a try. I always thought some if not all characters may actually be done with polygons, trying it in HD would prove resp. disprove this.

The one thing that sucks about the high resolution versions compared to the DS is the outlines. With the original DS's resolution, the one pixel outlines work well and give games a cel-shaded look. However, the HD versions from the emulator are still one pixel, so they're not noticeable.

In some instances, that's good:

3RwiZxx.png

but in others, that's bad:

The difference between the two is ridiculous.

I hope that in the future, there will be an option to allow you to change the thickness of the lines between one pixel and "adjusted" to maintain the same thickness.

Mory Dunz

I just wish for once Nintendo would give us a handheld screen that isn't 5-10 years outdated. For whatever reason, Nintendo doesn't put screen resolution at high priority when creating a handheld. But just looking at these screens, you wonder why

To be fair, they've gone against a competitor with much better graphics and won more than once, while saving money by not getting high end hardware.

It may not be enjoyable for the consumer, but any business would take those margins if they could get away with it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The way some of these DS games implement sprites on top of a rendered 3D world looks awesome in high res.

Seeing sprites running around in a "regular" 3D game is super cool.

I'd love to see a side by side of Revenent Wings in high and default res.

I may have to track down those two Avatar games.

This thread inspired me to track down Juiced 2.

But yeah, I collect DS games. Currently at 353 unique.

Also, Juiced 2 is pretty decent so far.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, some of this really great. Original DS is perhaps one of my favorite consoles ever.

If only there was some sort of device I could just plug my DS games into and do this with them.

Because... I own almost all of the games being shown in physical form. :3

I prefer original equipment. but yeah.. if only there was a way...

The full-size before and after shots of Metroid Prime Hunters show a major, major contrast:

Normal:

AjE99CI.png

HD:

qfTJbdk.jpg

Normal:

Src3ef7.png

HD:

QlVDtKs.jpg

Look at the ridiculous amount of detail that's revealed the moment you bump up the resolution.

The full-size before and after shots of Metroid Prime Hunters show a major, major contrast:

Normal:

AjE99CI.png

HD:

qfTJbdk.jpg

Normal:

Src3ef7.png

HD:

PD8S9UN.jpg

Look at the ridiculous amount of detail that's revealed the moment you switch up the resolution.

It's almost as if Nintendo and some other developers use textures that are above the resolution the NDS can display for some reason.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Normal:

HD:

Normal:

HD:

Quick recommendation, since the maximum rendering resolution this allows us is 1024x768, you should change the window display size to have a 1024 width instead of a 1280 width, because then you're just getting an upscaled, distorted image.

Luigiv

It's almost as if Nintendo and some other developers use textures that are above the resolution the NDS can display for some reason.

Not really. It's a first person shooter so naturally you can get very close to the textures in actual gameplay so they have to be that "high-res" to hold up. Keep in mind those screens are very wide shots and indicative of gameplay.

I assume it's because as a first person game, it's possible to get right up close to the walls, floor etc. and see some of those details. The details do matter in first person, if possible you don't want it to be too ridiculously blocky when you're right up next to a wall.

Dr.brain64

Man!! seeing the diddy kong racing images makes me want to play it again with its glorious music. Very dissapointed on the ds version but i would totally buy it on the 3ds though.
I assume the 3ds is able to make it look like in the images (right?)

Just curious about resident evil

I want to see that as well

The pre-rendered sprite background unfortunately matches the original resolution (256x192), so there's barely any extra gain from that. But the models are MUCH, MUCH more crisp, as well as any 3D elements in the scene.

Original:

HD:

Original:

HD:

Original:

HD:

Lijik

The pre-rendered sprite background unfortunately matches the texture size of the original resolution (256x192), so there's barely any extra gain from that. But the models are MUCH, MUCH more crisp, as well as any 3D elements in the scene.

I dont have any screens on hand, but if anyone is wondering this is what happens in Ninja Gaiden DS as well

Rlan

Went down the Rabbit hole a bit for other Halfbrick games, and went to look at our two Avatar: The Last Airbender games.

Here we have The Last Airbender, the movie tie in, though we did a lot of Avatar games, this was the last one.

tla1.png

tla1-1.png

tla2.png

tla2-1.png

Rlan

Actually one of the weirder ones I tested was Geometry Wars Galaxies. Wasn't sure if it actually used Geometry or not, but there's quite a difference in the versions.

gwg1.png

HD:

gwg1-1.png

Lijik

One of my more interesting finds was the Yoshis Island DS title screen i assumed was real time 3D is actually prerendered because theres zero difference when rendered in hd and standard beyond the upscaling

PS1 and DS were too low-res even for this kind of pixel art, it's ruinous. It's amazing what kind of detail is buried under all that grain.

-MB-

I'm Guessing this version of the emulator doesn't like AMD cards (laptop 8750m model in my case)?
Because if i set the laptop to use it, evewrything is a garbled mess with opengl,
switch to intel and all is fine visually, eventhough it runs slow as molasses then.

EDIT: Seems it's anything 2x and higher causing it, set it to disabled then Opengl works fine.

Top Bottom