• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

Can youtake some screenshots with the 3D camera hack?(gameshark). I bet it looks awsome!

Do you mean at the lowered angle like this?

tZ9y5wo.png

hV7E3nx.png

OOaoxz0.png

tWGo5gj.png

1m5UtXF.png

r9nVpij.png

Okay. I'm using a toaster right now, so my screen resolution is actually lower than the max setting for this, but here're some print-screen comparisons of 3x rendering at least. From The Idolmaster Dearly Stars:
JUVY8qD.png

Looks pretty similar to the PSP game, actually!

This shows great use of the DS's hardware outlining system, there's not much texture work in the models, it relies on clever mesh design so that outlines can be drawn around polygons with different ID numbers.

If Nintendo's next gen handheld allows for DS games to be digitally downloaded in the eshop with HD rendered graphics, I would easily double dip on a ton of games currently in my DS library. Some of these look gorgeous.

PsionBolt

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates

Star Force and Idolmaster are still the best in my eyes, but almost everything benefits a fair amount. The Crystal Chronicles shots look about as good as the Wii port, sadly enough.
how do you guys get the hi-res screenshots? Mine always come out as 256x384.
I wish I knew a proper way, too. I'm manually printscreening and pasting 'em together for now.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Now we need a decent quality Diddy Kong Racing N64 shot for a good comparison.

Vitacat

If Nintendo's next gen handheld allows for DS games to be digitally downloaded in the eshop with HD rendered graphics, I would easily double dip on a ton of games currently in my DS library. Some of these look gorgeous.

Nice idea.

But this is Nintendo we're talking about.

Oemenia

Banned
Anyone know how to get good performance? I have an i7 4702 MQ and a GT 740M but performance is not always smooth. Turning off Software Rendering sometimes makes things faster while other times makes the same games at the same situations slower.

GSR

Next, Tales of Innocence:

[...]

It looks great, and I would have taken more shots, but DeSmuME wouldn't recognize the save file and I didn't want to play through the intro to get to the actual protagonist.

Lastly, another fantastic improvement, Mega Man Star Force 3:

[...]

Just look at that model in the last shot. He's just about ready for Smash 3DS!

Wow. Innocence and SF were two games where I really noticed the resolution limitations, and they look great in higher res.

I'm curious as to how Ghost Trick looks. We already have the iOS version, but I wonder how much the DS version matches it when rendering like this.

I gotta say, in some of these games I'm surprised at how much detail there is in the textures. Surely it was inefficient for some of these games to have such intricate textures considering the output resolution.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a second. Where are the Ninja Gaiden DS shots? Unless that game has problems with emulators.

This is the type of thing Nintendo should be offering on their own platforms. If people outside Nintendo or amateurs can code competent emulators, then imagine what could Nintendo achieve with intimate knowledge they have of their devices.

Cooking up emulators for DS, 3DS and Wii for the Wii U should be among the top priorites for the company. Imagine offering the universe of the entire 1st and 3rd party catalogue of the company under one device. Wii U could end up putting decent and better than GC numbers.

But knowing then they'll do that for the next cycle XD

This is the type of thing Nintendo should be offering on their own platforms. If people outside Nintendo or amateurs can code competent emulators, then imagine what could Nintendo achieve with intimate knowledge they have of their devices.

They could and should, but they're incompetent, so they probably won't. It's a goddamn disgrace.

M3d10n

like a weird mix of N64, PS1, and maybe some slightly post-PS1 but not anywhere near PS2-ishness

The DS hardware was designed based on PS1 generation specs, just like the GBA hardware was designed based on SNES generation specs and the 3DS was designed around PS2 generation specs.

DonMigs85

The DS hardware was designed based on PS1 generation specs, just like the GBA hardware was designed based on SNES generation specs and the 3DS was designed around PS2 generation specs.

I remember Nintendo itself bragged on their site before that DS could surpass N64 graphics. Which is true in certain ways - despite the lack of texture filtering, games had "free" antialiasing, generally higher poly counts per frame even with that 2048 triangle limit, and many 3D games ran at 60FPS.

M3d10n

Every single N64 game on the Wii Virtual Console was rendered at 480p, which was an upgrade over their original resolutions on the N64 itself. I'm really curious to see how they handle DS/N64 games when they eventually hit the VC on Wii U, I honestly don't know what to expect.

It was simply not possibly to emulate the N64 via software on the Wii hardware (heck, I'm not even sure an i7 could do it at 100% speed). Nintendo had to use HLE, like all PC N64 emulators did, and since they were in HLE glitch-land already, increasing the resolution wasn't of much consequence.

Meanwhile, I believe they are able of emulating the DS entirely via software on the Wii U (the DS hardware is much more simple than the N64 hardware, architecture-wise, and it's GPU is integer-based, which is far less CPU-intensive to emulate than a floating-point based GPU like the N64's), which means no resolution increasing.

I remember Nintendo itself bragged on their site before that DS could surpass N64 graphics. Which is true in certain ways - despite the lack of texture filtering, games had "free" antialiasing, generally higher poly counts per frame even with that 2048 triangle limit, and many 3D games ran at 60FPS.

It's a pattern to Nintendo handhelds to surpass the "console generation" they were inspired by in some areas while underperforming in others:

GBA: much faster CPU than the SNES, much easier to program, much bigger cartridges and could do 2 "mode7" layers... but had worse sound.

Nintendo DS: very easy to reach 60fps (GPU never causes slowdowns, actually), much much much easier to program, bigger cartridges, dedicated sound chip, hardware texture compression, more VRAM, free antialiasing, built-in cell-shader and outline shading... but no texture filtering nor render-to-texture effects (only truly used at the end of the N64's life, however).

Nintendo 3DS: vertex shaders, per-pixel lights with normal mapping and specular highlights, hardware shadow mapping, soft particles, stereo 3D... but slower CPU (albeit dual-core) and lack of indirect texturing (used a *lot* on the GC and Wii for per-pixel distortion effects like water and as a poor-man's normal mapping in some games).

All three also had less buttons than their console brethren (the original GB being the sole exception).

DonMigs85

If Nintendo still makes another handheld, I wonder how potent it'll be... I believe mobile GPUs like the Adreno 420 and the upcoming Tegra actually surpass the Wii U GPU in pure FLOPs and fillrate (but they're probably still memory bandwidth-bound).

Labrys

well i learned that touch detective is a sprite based game, didn't look good at all in HD

here's some more black 2 shots, would have gone into marine tube but it almost crashed my computer:

SubtleTea

Not even close.

Dreamcast put out some beautiful, clean, crisp visuals with high res textures, filtering etc. The DS looks OK on 3" screens but its visuals are not even near DC quality.

Hmm yeah I guess it's just my DS nostalgia filter, something like Phantasy Star Online, or Shenmue looks way above DS level.

Makes me wonder why this hasn't been common in DS emulators. I wasn't aware of any DS emulator that did this until today.
I've heard because there is a lot of coding difference between how 3D and 2D textures work in the Nintendo DS. While 2D textures on the PlayStation are just 2D textures on a flat 3D surface that I've heard. The 2D and 3D textures on the Nintendo DS are completely different, though, which would make things a lot more difficult and complicated.

That means you have to find a way to upscale every 2D and 3D texture evenly or it will cause glitches. And many developers didn't want to do it. I had also heard that the people who developed DeSmuME didn't like upscaled textures and didn't want to support it.

wmlk

Wait, Marine Tube almost caused your computer to crash?

Marine Tube would be the perfect example of how big of a difference resolution makes. 3D Pokémon just swimming around everywhere.

Labrys

Wait, Marine Tube almost caused your computer to crash?

Marine Tube would be the perfect example of how big of a difference resolution makes. 3D Pokémon just swimming around everywhere.

when i entered everything grew to a verrrrrry slow crawl, it might be because i was running stuff in the background but my fan kinda started to whirl so i shut it down

i'll try again later

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It was simply not possibly to emulate the N64 via software on the Wii hardware (heck, I'm not even sure an i7 could do it at 100% speed). Nintendo had to use HLE, like all PC N64 emulators did, and since they were in HLE glitch-land already, increasing the resolution wasn't of much consequence.

Meanwhile, I believe they are able of emulating the DS entirely via software on the Wii U (the DS hardware is much more simple than the N64 hardware, architecture-wise, and it's GPU is integer-based, which is far less CPU-intensive to emulate than a floating-point based GPU like the N64's), which means no resolution increasing.

It's a pattern to Nintendo handhelds to surpass the "console generation" they were inspired by in some areas while underperforming in others:

GBA: much faster CPU than the SNES, much easier to program, much bigger cartridges and could do 2 "mode7" layers... but had worse sound.

Nintendo DS: very easy to reach 60fps (GPU never causes slowdowns, actually), much much much easier to program, bigger cartridges, dedicated sound chip, hardware texture compression, more VRAM, free antialiasing, built-in cell-shader and outline shading... but no texture filtering nor render-to-texture effects (only truly used at the end of the N64's life, however).

Nintendo 3DS: vertex shaders, per-pixel lights with normal mapping and specular highlights, hardware shadow mapping, soft particles, stereo 3D... but slower CPU (albeit dual-core) and lack of indirect texturing (used a *lot* on the GC and Wii for per-pixel distortion effects like water and as a poor-man's normal mapping in some games).

All three also had less buttons than their console brethren (the original GB being the sole exception).

I've seen multiple mentions of this free AA thing, what is that in reference to? How?

Is there a Saturn emulator that can do this? I would love to see this treatment with Saturn games..

As I recall, the first decent Sega Saturn emulator (GiriGiri) could, but the current "standard" emulator (SSF) only renders at native resolution. GiriGiri was later officially bought by Sega, and I think they used it to produce some PC ports of Saturn games in Japan for some kind of weird subscription service thing

Unfortunately I don't think ANY of that stuff was archived and GiriGiri basically doesn't exist anymore (it was literally ten years ago)

Top Bottom